Author Topic: Hantek 6022BE 20MHz USB DSO  (Read 852609 times)

Offline RichardK

• Regular Contributor
Re: Hantek 6022BE 20MHz USB DSO
« Reply #225 on: January 29, 2014, 07:15:19 am »
Latest Binary: http://jmp.sh/v/GxYh8cys9Rbbf3HAlLqG

What's New:
-----------------------------------------------------------
1. Fixed a bug where channel's might "jump" up and down at random.
2. Fixed a bug where AC Coupled or Inverted channels would jump around, especially when
   dragging waveforms.
3. Fixed a bug where waveforms would sometimes not update when changing Timebases.
4. Fixed a crash on close when Cursors enabled.
5. Fixed a bug where the Wave Context would sometimes not update properly when changing
   Timebases.
6. Included Latest Hantek SDK DLL: HTDisplayDLL.dll

Edit: Rick, hopefully this fixes most of the issues you brought up earlier.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 07:25:29 am by RichardK »

Offline Matchless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #226 on: January 29, 2014, 03:21:27 pm »
RichardK, thanks for this. Unfortunately I could not compare with the latest Hantek 1.0.4 as their website is down.
Just some feedback that may help on your project:
My issue with no noise on channel two on the Hantek software and the usual noise on both channels on your software is still there. If I run the Calibration utility on yours it reminds me to ground the probes and then fails, and then the noise on my channel 2 goes away! Channel 1 stays the same. Now my result looks the same as on the Hantek software.
Running the calibration on the Hantec does not come back with either a failure or a complete and nothing changes. I assume the calibration feature is not working there.

Thanks again.
Regards
Matchless

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #227 on: January 29, 2014, 06:26:06 pm »
RichardK,
Thank!  I will give it a go later today.

RichardK, thanks for this. Unfortunately I could not compare with the latest Hantek 1.0.4 as their website is down.
Just some feedback that may help on your project:
My issue with no noise on channel two on the Hantek software and the usual noise on both channels on your software is still there. If I run the Calibration utility on yours it reminds me to ground the probes and then fails, and then the noise on my channel 2 goes away! Channel 1 stays the same. Now my result looks the same as on the Hantek software.
Running the calibration on the Hantec does not come back with either a failure or a complete and nothing changes. I assume the calibration feature is not working there.

Thanks again.
Matchless,

As I posted earlier, I have that problem occasionally at a lesser degree.  One channel being noticeably less noise than the other - and mine swaps.  I believe it to be a software artifact instead of real.  It is practically impossible for any signal to be totally noise free.  If you are seeing NO noise on Ch2 at all, I think you have a problem not related to RichardK's software.

If noise shows with RichardK's software, and the stock doesn't, it make me think may be the display setting.  The stock software restore last setting on start up - so if the last setting is wrong, it stays wrong.  RichardK's software doesn't restore last setting, so you are forced to change and that just may get it to the right setting.

Check and see if you make the same mistake I made often when I was new with the scope: Volt/div and probe 1x/10x setting.  The mistake was setting the V/div too low and/or not matching that of 1x/10x problem.

Example of setting mistake:
using the scope's reference wave - Square +2V @ 1KHz.
1ms/div, Ch1 at 1V and Ch2 at 500mV.

Ch1 at 1V will show with noise
Ch2 (top part) will show little or no noise

Photo 1 - shows no noise on Ch2 when square wave is high

That is because at 500mV, it cuts off before when the trace when it reaches +-4 divisions = +-2V.   With the reference wave square high part being 2V, anything above 2V is clipped and the scope trace flat-lined.

Due to parts' tolerance, 2V is not exactly 2V.  You see 2.02V in the photo.  In any case, with anything over 2V clipped, positive noise is clipped.  So it would appear as if it is much less noise.

One can imagine, for a square wave @ +-2V (instead of just +2V), both high volt and low volt noises are gone so it looks as if Ch2 has no noise at all.

Photo 2 - Proper setting for both

If I set Ch2 at 1V/division (as with Ch1), now it wont clip and Ch2 noise is shown in full.  In fact, Ch2 has more noise than Ch1 when settings allow it to show instead of clipping it off.

These two photo was taken back-to-back, so practically at the same time.  With the stock software, it restores the last setting on open, so until I notice it and change it, it would always looks as if Ch2 has less noise than Ch1 in this scenario - but in fact Ch2 is more noise than Ch1 when proper setting is chosen.

Hope this helps...

Rick
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 06:35:04 pm by Rick Law »

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #228 on: January 30, 2014, 12:23:28 am »
Latest Binary: http://jmp.sh/v/GxYh8cys9Rbbf3HAlLqG

What's New:
-----------------------------------------------------------
1. Fixed a bug where channel's might "jump" up and down at random.
2. Fixed a bug where AC Coupled or Inverted channels would jump around, especially when
   dragging waveforms.
3. Fixed a bug where waveforms would sometimes not update when changing Timebases.
4. Fixed a crash on close when Cursors enabled.
5. Fixed a bug where the Wave Context would sometimes not update properly when changing
   Timebases.
6. Included Latest Hantek SDK DLL: HTDisplayDLL.dll

Edit: Rick, hopefully this fixes most of the issues you brought up earlier.

RichardK,

First, I hope I am not acting in a way that appears to be "just being critical".  I am unable to contribute by helping with programming, so I am trying to contribute by do doing testing to hope to lighten your load.

So, if I sound critical, tell me to bug-off...

I did a run down on the latest PR9.  I can confirm all 4 issues I brought up are addressed and resolved.

On "issue #2" (trace jitters using software AC coupling), I can see there was great improvement.  There is still some slight jitters, but the blinking (trace disappear momentary) is largely gone.  The "gone dark" is much shorten when it does happen.  (The time when the blink, that brief duration of the momentary screen-with-trace.  Both the frequency of blink and duration of blink are improved.  It is not disruptive anymore as it was with PR8.

I think the AC coupling is one of the best features of your software.  It may be worthwhile to make this the show-piece.  The "gone dark" is so short it is barely noticeable.  The slight up/down jitter that is left, if it can be slow down a bit more, this is the show piece.

New Bug:
When in AC coupling mode, interactive cursor doesn't work (not on the trace).
To reproduce:
Use the scope's references 1KHz wave
Ch1 & Ch2 are both 2V/div
time scale at 500uS
Ch1 on AC coupling
Turn on cursor - Ch1 cursor riding on air (not on trace) where as Ch2 (not AC coupling) is on the trace.  Both seem to measures fine.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 12:26:53 am by Rick Law »

Offline RichardK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #229 on: January 30, 2014, 02:51:34 am »
First, I hope I am not acting in a way that appears to be "just being critical".  I am unable to contribute by helping with programming, so I am trying to contribute by do doing testing to hope to lighten your load.

So, if I sound critical, tell me to bug-off...

Absolutely not, while I don't look forward to hearing about bugs, it's important that they be known so they can be fixed, and I am very appreciative of all feedback, even feedback that is critical or reveals bugs. Thanks for helping out with testing, it's hard enough finding the time to work on it with my busy life, so testing tends to take a back seat to coding.

I did a run down on the latest PR9.  I can confirm all 4 issues I brought up are addressed and resolved.

On "issue #2" (trace jitters using software AC coupling), I can see there was great improvement.  There is still some slight jitters, but the blinking (trace disappear momentary) is largely gone.  The "gone dark" is much shorten when it does happen.  (The time when the blink, that brief duration of the momentary screen-with-trace.  Both the frequency of blink and duration of blink are improved.  It is not disruptive anymore as it was with PR8.

I think the AC coupling is one of the best features of your software.  It may be worthwhile to make this the show-piece.  The "gone dark" is so short it is barely noticeable.  The slight up/down jitter that is left, if it can be slow down a bit more, this is the show piece.

I ended up having to use double buffering due to race conditions between the render and acquire threads, and I also still get the odd wobble now and then and I am perplexed as to what is causing it, I thought the double buffering would be the final nail in the coffin, apparently I have to bury the casket as well  :-\

New Bug:
When in AC coupling mode, interactive cursor doesn't work (not on the trace).
To reproduce:
Use the scope's references 1KHz wave
Ch1 & Ch2 are both 2V/div
time scale at 500uS
Ch1 on AC coupling
Turn on cursor - Ch1 cursor riding on air (not on trace) where as Ch2 (not AC coupling) is on the trace.  Both seem to measures fine.

Whoops, that's Mybad, I forgot to move some code back down to where it belongs while testing a previous fix... Easy fix, will be gone in the next binary.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 02:53:09 am by RichardK »

Offline Merlyn

• Contributor
« Reply #230 on: January 30, 2014, 10:42:47 am »
According to scope's specs the max input voltage in x10 probe mode is 350V. If I want to double that can I just insert another 9-10MOhm resistor between the probe and scope's input and should I compensate it with an adjustable capacitor?

Offline Matchless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #231 on: January 30, 2014, 05:01:33 pm »
Hi Rick,
           Thanks for the detailed reply and examples. I really appreciate the effort you are putting in to help me.
I have had the settings on both channels the same as that alerted me to this discrepancy, as I would expect both channels to be just about similar on the same test and settings.
My test was for base noise with both probes on X1 and connected to the ground tag of the 6022.
I have added some screen shots to compare the Hantek 1.0.3 program with RichardK's latest binary. To me both results should be the similar.
You can clearly see the settings in each screenshot:
The pictures marked 1, 2, 3 are on the Hantek SW and marked 1R, 2R, 3R are on RichardKs SW.
Only capture1 shows the noise missing on channel 2 :-//
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 05:08:57 pm by Matchless »
Regards
Matchless

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #232 on: January 30, 2014, 07:22:53 pm »
I have had the settings on both channels the same as that alerted me to this discrepancy, as I would expect both channels to be just about similar on the same test and settings.
My test was for base noise with both probes on X1 and connected to the ground tag of the 6022.
I have added some screen shots to compare the Hantek 1.0.3 program with RichardK's latest binary. To me both results should be the similar.
You can clearly see the settings in each screenshot:
The pictures marked 1, 2, 3 are on the Hantek SW and marked 1R, 2R, 3R are on RichardKs SW.
Only capture1 shows the noise missing on channel 2 :-//

Good job on the 3 comparisons.  I think they show the problem very clearly.

That said, IMO you're asking the wrong person for an explanation.  Your Hantek 2 & 3 shots show there's definitely noise on Chan2.  Yet when you zoom in by selecting a more sensitive vertical setting, instead of seeing that noise in more detail, it completely disappears!  Since Richard's software is working, and Hantek's software is obviously NOT working properly, you should be asking Hantek why their software is broken. 

Asking Richard to explain why someone else's software doesn't work is a waste of everyone's time.  Your efforts have isolated the problem to one range of Hantek's software.  File a bug report with them.  See if you get a fix in 1 day, as Richard has been regularly doing.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 07:25:47 pm by Mark_O »

Offline Matchless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #233 on: January 30, 2014, 09:05:00 pm »
Mark_O,
             Thanks for your reply. A logical deduction is that it cannot really be a hardware issue, as then it would show up on RichardK's software as well. Another logical deduction is, if it is a software issue it should show up on other peoples 6022be's as well. The fact is that it is happening in the same way every time and is not intermittent. Thus to reproduce this behaviour, I think I was not clear enough in my original post. Hopefully more people will try it now and come back.
I will gladly file a bug report with Hantek once I can confirm this is a problem experienced on more 6022's than mine.

From what I have seen and read to date, I have more faith in RichardK putting together a better software solution than in Hantek solving issues like this on the 6022be! As such I did not intend RichardK to find a solution for mine (as he already has in his binary), but just in case this helps him with his project.
This not a real problem for me, but more a peculiarity that must have some definite explanation or reason.

I really appreciate the time you have taken to look at my issue and replying to it. I also apologize if my posts on this is a waste of everyone's time.
Regards
Matchless

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #234 on: January 30, 2014, 10:30:45 pm »
A logical deduction is that it cannot really be a hardware issue, as then it would show up on RichardK's software as well. Another logical deduction is, if it is a software issue it should show up on other peoples 6022be's as well. The fact is that it is happening in the same way every time and is not intermittent. Thus to reproduce this behaviour, I think I was not clear enough in my original post. Hopefully more people will try it now and come back.

Yes, that would be good.

I also apologize if my posts on this is a waste of everyone's time.

Well, my apologies to you, if this came off harsher than I intended.   :-[  It's always worth the time to point out problems, anomalies, and misbehavior.  Everyone benefits from that.  At some point though, diminishing returns kick in.  I felt that had been achieved, and the issue had been sufficiently identified.  And it was your posted tests that accomplished that.  So I appreciate your taking the time to make those contributions.

Offline larry42

• Regular Contributor
Re: Re: Hantek 6022BE 20MHz USB DSO
« Reply #235 on: January 30, 2014, 10:40:16 pm »
According to scope's specs the max input voltage in x10 probe mode is 350V. If I want to double that can I just insert another 9-10MOhm resistor between the probe and scope's input and should I compensate it with an adjustable capacitor?

If you're asking that question then maybe you shouldn't be measuring above 350V... :) NB most resistors are not rated above 500 volts breakdown voltage and SMD ones are rated at much lower voltages...

Sent from my One S using Tapatalk

If you have an animated GIF in your avatar or signature then I reserve the right to think you're a dolt.

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #236 on: January 30, 2014, 10:46:05 pm »
The fact is that it is happening in the same way every time and is not intermittent. Thus to reproduce this behaviour, I think I was not clear enough in my original post.

BTW, one other thing you could try, if you were interested in exploring the Hantek problem a bit, would be to take a low amplitude sine source and split it, thus feeding the same signal into both inputs.  Using the Hantek software, on the 20mV/div range.

Slowly raise the sine amplitude from ~1mV to ~20mV.  I.e., starting below the noise threshold.  And see at what point you get a reasonable reading on each channel.  And when you hit 1div on the "good" channel, do you also on the "abnormal" channel.  That way you could tell if signals below a certain threshold were being clamped, or if it's just being level shifted down, to the point where it's not visible.

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #237 on: January 31, 2014, 03:22:39 am »
Matchless,

First, you are welcome.  I received so much help is it only fair I return a favor on the few things that I know.

I agree with Mark_O.  The screen print you posted shows a clear software problem with your hantek software.

With the Hantek software screen prints, when you look closely at your 1V/div (and other except the 20mV), you can clearly see Ch2 wiggling just like Ch1.  That means that Ch2 is reading noise or otherwise it would have been a flat line.

As to why it fails to show at 20mV, I think it is your install rather than the software (edit) a combination of what you have and the Hantek stuff (end of reedit).  The Hantek software is prone to all kinds of issues, but your install so far is the only one reporting that.  So it could be something you have that Hantek software doesn't like.

With V104 already out, why not try a clean install.  If you want to chase down a problem, at least do it with the latest version.

Rick
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 03:30:06 am by Rick Law »

Offline Matchless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #238 on: January 31, 2014, 06:34:04 am »
Mark_O and Rick,
                           Thanks for your replies and advice to date. Unfortunately the Hantek website has been down for 3 days now and will most likely only be up again after the Chinese new year celebrations it seems. My next test is to try this with their latest 1.0.4 version once I can download it. Hopefully the driver is also new. By the way I am running these on Windows 8. I can also try running on Windows 7.

I am leaning towards the suggestion that it may be a combination of my installation and the software and have reinstalled it a couple of times, but nothing has changed. More tests here need to be done yet.

I will be away for a couple of days and on return will try the newer version, Mark_O's suggestion and install on Win7 as well.

Could I possibly ask anyone else to post their results and mention which OS their PC's are running?

Just a thanks again for the interest and inputs from your side.
Regards
Matchless

Offline RichardK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #239 on: January 31, 2014, 07:20:38 am »
                           Thanks for your replies and advice to date. Unfortunately the Hantek website has been down for 3 days now and will most likely only be up again after the Chinese new year celebrations it seems. My next test is to try this with their latest 1.0.4 version once I can download it. Hopefully the driver is also new. By the way I am running these on Windows 8. I can also try running on Windows 7.

I already downloaded the latest version from their website before it went down (Probably due to excessive traffic) and uploaded it to my Jumpshare account.

http://jmp.sh/v/xhBbrWPkvVEsYQomHCzs

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #240 on: January 31, 2014, 07:47:47 am »
Mark_O and Rick,

I am leaning towards the suggestion that it may be a combination of my installation and the software and have reinstalled it a couple of times, but nothing has changed. More tests here need to be done yet.

I will be away for a couple of days and on return will try the newer version, Mark_O's suggestion and install on Win7 as well.

Could I possibly ask anyone else to post their results and mention which OS their PC's are running?

Just a thanks again for the interest and inputs from your side.

Matchless,

I could have swore I wrote and saved this reply 20 minutes ago...   Anyhow here goes again:

The drivers in V104 are all dated this year, so I assume they are new builds.  As to what changed if any, only Hantek knows.

I use the scope software on multiple machines.  They are all WinXP, two with SP3 and one with SP2.  Hantek's 6022be software works well on all three machines.

Rick

Offline Merlyn

• Contributor
« Reply #241 on: January 31, 2014, 10:17:12 am »
If you're asking that question then maybe you shouldn't be measuring above 350V... :) NB most resistors are not rated above 500 volts breakdown voltage and SMD ones are rated at much lower voltages...

Getting high voltage high value resistors is not a problem. The question is whether my "concept" for doubling the input voltage is right or I'm missing something? I was planning of building a simple BNC to BNC adapter with the additional resistor and eventually capacitor inside.

Offline Matchless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #242 on: January 31, 2014, 07:15:41 pm »

I already downloaded the latest version from their website before it went down (Probably due to excessive traffic) and uploaded it to my Jumpshare account.

http://jmp.sh/v/xhBbrWPkvVEsYQomHCzs

Thanks Richard. I had a quick look at it, will play with it a bit when I am back home next week. I think its Chinese new year there and nothing will happen until the festivities are over!
Regards
Matchless

Offline Merlyn

• Contributor
« Reply #243 on: February 01, 2014, 11:35:50 am »
Couple of screenshots comparing Hantek and OpenHantek software:

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #244 on: February 02, 2014, 02:55:37 am »

Merlyn, look at Chan2 on the Hantek software.  It's 20mV/div, and clearly the Vpp on screen is 1/5 of a div, or 4 mV.  Yet in the Status area below (Output window), claims the Vpp is 8.16 mV.  ???  That's some mighty fine software there.

The noise density is much higher on Chan2, but that doesn't (shouldn't) affect the Vpp at all.

Offline Merlyn

• Contributor
« Reply #245 on: February 02, 2014, 09:45:41 am »
Yeah, I noticed that too. Maybe it will produce wrong readings at the noise level. I'll try with higher amplitude signals and see what's going on.

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #246 on: February 02, 2014, 05:14:03 pm »

Merlyn, look at Chan2 on the Hantek software.  It's 20mV/div, and clearly the Vpp on screen is 1/5 of a div, or 4 mV.  Yet in the Status area below (Output window), claims the Vpp is 8.16 mV.  ???  That's some mighty fine software there.

The noise density is much higher on Chan2, but that doesn't (shouldn't) affect the Vpp at all.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Maybe it will produce wrong readings at the noise level. I'll try with higher amplitude signals and see what's going on.

Mark_O, Merlyn,

re: ...Yet in the Status area below (Output window), claims the Vpp is 8.16 mV.  ??? That's some mighty fine software there....

I am not sure I agree that it is a software problem for this one.  At 50uS, the scope is collecting at 1Mhz (1uS/datapoint) for 130048 datapoints.  That is 130milliSecond worth of data.

But the display is 50uS/division which equals 500uS per screen full of data.  The 130048 data points (130.048mS) equals 260 screenfull of data.  So somewhere in the not-on-screen but collected data may be the higher 8.16 mV peak.

Often, I have to scroll my screen left or right to find the peak that is not on the current screen display.

Rick

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #247 on: February 02, 2014, 09:17:00 pm »
I am not sure I agree that it is a software problem for this one.  At 50uS, the scope is collecting at 1Mhz (1uS/datapoint) for 130048 datapoints.  That is 130milliSecond worth of data.

But the display is 50uS/division which equals 500uS per screen full of data.  The 130048 data points (130.048mS) equals 260 screenfull of data.  So somewhere in the not-on-screen but collected data may be the higher 8.16 mV peak.

Often, I have to scroll my screen left or right to find the peak that is not on the current screen display.

Rick, thanks for pointing this out!  I agree that it's certainly possible the Vpp  captured could have been the 8mV reported, if there are 260 screens worth of data acquired.

OTOH, I think if we're only seeing <0.4% of the data (a very tiny drop in the bucket), there should be some indication of that, on-screen.  Not to mention the (already discussed) painful process of trying to scroll through those 260 screenfuls of data.

And not only is there no such indication, once one does start scrolling, I see absolutely no way to know where one is in that 130,000 sample acquisition.  So if you did eventually stumble across that 8mV peak (before you died of old age while scrolling), you'd have no idea where (in time) it occurred.

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #248 on: February 03, 2014, 03:54:20 am »

Rick, thanks for pointing this out!  I agree that it's certainly possible the Vpp  captured could have been the 8mV reported, if there are 260 screens worth of data acquired.

OTOH, I think if we're only seeing <0.4% of the data (a very tiny drop in the bucket), there should be some indication of that, on-screen.  Not to mention the (already discussed) painful process of trying to scroll through those 260 screenfuls of data.

And not only is there no such indication, once one does start scrolling, I see absolutely no way to know where one is in that 130,000 sample acquisition.  So if you did eventually stumble across that 8mV peak (before you died of old age while scrolling), you'd have no idea where (in time) it occurred.

re: (the bold text part)

That is exactly where I think RichardK's program shines.  He has that mini wave form (the saw tooth at the top and middle of the screen), the T  above the mini-wave allows you to scroll and points at the present position relative to the start of the collected datapoints.

Second thing is, I am not sure (plain just forgot) if it does now, but it could show with part of the mini-wave in different color representing where the current screen is relative to the whole set of collected data.

Richard's program allows rapid scrolling to specific areas.  Finding the right area to look at will still be a human task.

Offline RichardK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #249 on: February 03, 2014, 04:06:24 am »
Second thing is, I am not sure (plain just forgot) if it does now, but it could show with part of the mini-wave in different color representing where the current screen is relative to the whole set of collected data.

Stock software doesn't do this, however the other models stock software does have this feature (which is where I got the idea from and improved upon it).

Btw, I'll be uploading the latest binary in the next day or so which does away with the Zoom warning because I have implemented proper scaling of Interactive and Line cursors when zoomed in or out, and also when looking at stopped waveforms on timebases that are different from the stopped timebase. I noticed that Hantek uses the Horizontal Zoom parameter of the Draw Wave SDK function to simulate different Timebases on Stopped waveforms without reacquiring raw data (which wouldn't be proper anyway).

So the next binary should have dramatic improvements in Zooming (active waveforms or stopped waveforms).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf