Author Topic: Hantek 6022BE 20MHz USB DSO  (Read 852348 times)

Offline FraserTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: Hantek 6022BE 20MHz USB DSO
« Reply #450 on: March 15, 2014, 11:34:35 am »
@Mark_O

MS Word 2010 does not show the detailed spelling errors, so it looks like your software is messing with the document.
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline roderick

• Contributor
    • Small Projects
« Reply #451 on: March 15, 2014, 03:17:26 pm »
There are also misspellings of application, specification, calibration, functions, etc. so I'm wondering if some characters just aren't rendering properly for me?

Just an FYI, the spellings seem to be okay on my screen.

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #452 on: March 15, 2014, 04:05:29 pm »
MS Word 2010 does not show the detailed spelling errors, so it looks like your software is messing with the document.

Quote from: roderick
Just an FYI, the spellings seem to be okay on my screen.

Thanks, guys.  I'll see if I can track down the problem on my end.

Offline Matchless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #453 on: March 15, 2014, 04:56:53 pm »
Would anyone prefer that I rather post a pdf or keep to the docx?

I will really appreciate some inputs, especially enhancements and obviously corrections!
Regards
Matchless

• Super Contributor
« Reply #454 on: March 15, 2014, 05:19:22 pm »
docx makes it customisable for users  :) Both docx and PDF may be an option ?

Offline RobertH

• Contributor
    • monochromatic
« Reply #455 on: March 15, 2014, 06:08:28 pm »
Jumpshare's docx-viewer creates those "typos" - I can't see errors after opening the document in Word.

@Matchless: docx is fine for me!  :-+

Regards Robert
Sorry, I'm not a signature, I'm just tidying up this mess ...

Offline roderick

• Contributor
    • Small Projects
« Reply #456 on: March 15, 2014, 06:19:21 pm »
For review, either docx or pdf will work fine for me.  My opinion is that pdf is better for the final document.

I went through the first part of this version of the documentation, but did not get to the Examples part.  Here are my thoughts:

I think it would be very helpful to mention somewhere in the manual that the 6022BE hardware is limited to measuring a +- 5.0 volt signal.  That is, with a 1x probe, signals from -5 to +5 volts can be displayed; with a 10x probe, -50 to +50 volts, and so forth.  Maybe that should be a note in the Volts/DIV section, a warning that even if the display is set to 10 volts per division, the trace will clamp at 5 volts.  True, the input voltage limits are mentioned in the specs in the appendix, but that's really obscure.

15.2.f full screen

This looks like a 3-step process, when in fact, 15.2.f.1 is all that is needed to restore the normal screen.  Perhaps it should read,

1.  Push the ESC key on your keyboard, OR

2.  Right click on the display and select Window Mode.

15.2.f.3 choosing Restore from the system menu.

I would leave this out entirely, as it adds nothing beyond point (2.) above.  If someone knows Windows, they will know how to un-maximize their Window.  Also, on using Restore works as your text describes on (soon to be unsupported by Microsoft) Windows XP, but also, there is a restore button at the upper RIGHT of the title bar, too.  Other versions of Windows may do this differently.

3.a.ii.  Volts/DIV

These values are scaled by the probe attenuation.  For example, with an x10 probe, the smallest value is 200 mV, and the largest is 100 V.  It might be simpler to just omit the actual values in the documentation, but keep

"Select the voltage/division range for the displayed waveform."

Someone who has purchased an oscilloscope should already be quite familiar with what this does.

Of course, any comments on the menu items here could be similarly applied to the toolbar items.  I won't bog down the feedback by mentioning things twice.

3.a.iii probe

the 10000X setting is mentioned twice.

3.b.ii, 3.b.iii - same suggestions as above

4.b.i I'm not sure if this is exactly how auto trigger works.  I -think- that what happens is that this is the same as a normal trigger, except that if the input does not generate a trigger for a while, then a trigger will automatically be generated.  Notice that even in AUTO trigger mode, you can get a stable trace, if your input signal is stable.

4.b.ii Normal trigger
I would change the last word "drawn" to "drawn or redrawn", since the previous trace will stay on the screen until the next one is drawn.

7.a.i, 7.a.ii

Whichever term you choose, "Render Phosphor" or "Phospor Persistence," I still suggest using the same term in both occurrences, otherwise is sounds like you're talking about two different things.  Bottom line is that the first menu item switches it off, and the second switches it on.

7.a.v.  Phosphor Persistence

Suggest adding a note that this only applies when "Render Phosphor" is selected above.  It would seem that the UI could be simplified further by eliminating the "Render Normal/Phosphor" menu pick entirely, and having the "Phosphor Persistence" item always available.  Dragging the Persistence all the way to the left (zero) would be equivalent to Normal.  That would match a traditional old scope, where there is just one knob for persistence, no extra button to turn it on and off.  But that's for RichardK to decide.

8.a Acquire

Start acquiring and displaying the signal, according to the trigger conditions previously set.

8.b Stop

Stop acquiring.  This is useful for "freezing" the most recently displayed signal on the screen.

16.6 FFT

I note that this is only on the toolbar, not in any menu pick as far as I can see.  For the explanation, I'd suggest

"The Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) can be used to display the component frequencies in a signal.  Consult the internet for more information on this subject."

and just leave it at that.  Presently, the FFT does not show a labled scale, so it's only qualitatively useful, and the simple explanation above should suffice.

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #457 on: March 15, 2014, 09:00:53 pm »
Would anyone prefer that I rather post a pdf or keep to the docx?

I think a docx makes the most sense, for now.

Offline C

• Super Contributor
« Reply #458 on: March 15, 2014, 10:39:18 pm »

Matchless

I would break the Specifications in to two parts
One part for the software and one for the data collection unit the Hantek 6022BE

then for the Hantek 6022BE

I would start with the most important limitations first so they would be seen and not missed.

Input protection 35Vpk (DC + peak AC < 10kHz)
Max. Input +/- 5V(Without external attenuation)
Max. sample rate burst mode,  size of burst & how long until you can get an additional burst of samples
Max. sample rate continuous

then for the vertical section use the actual hardware limits. From a quick read it looks like you might have 8 gain settings. At those gain settings what are the actual limits. This separates the software function from the data collection hardware.
In place of a string of numbers for common probes use a table with one column for each hardware gain setting and a row for each common probe.
Use volts and not volt/Div as volts/div is really a software function. Depending on how the software is written, it could be easy for the software to allow use of a custom probe like a 2x or 3x.

Use the same idea for the same with the hardware timebase section.
This would make it easy to know the foundation that the software has to use. And if the software starts using a different hardware data collection system, this part will stay correct.
And as the software changes you also just have one section to update.

Just an idea
C

Offline RobertH

• Contributor
    • monochromatic
« Reply #459 on: March 15, 2014, 11:05:11 pm »
Input protection 35Vpk (DC + peak AC < 10kHz)
Max. Input +/- 5V(Without external attenuation)
Max. sample rate burst mode,  size of burst & how long until you can get an additional burst of samples
Max. sample rate continuous

then for the vertical section use the actual hardware limits. From a quick read it looks like you might have 8 gain settings. At those gain settings what are the actual limits. This separates the software function from the data collection hardware

I ran into some kind of software limit a few weeks ago. As I didn't keep that in focus I'll re-test that issue next week.

One problem was the max Vin beeing clipped at 500mv (if V/div set to 100mV/div or lower) and clipping occurring at 5 times V/div - until you start to hit the hardware limit.

Maybe this problem only exists due to "personal practice" - as I'm rarely ever using settings that will give me less than two divs signal height on the scope ...

Robert
Sorry, I'm not a signature, I'm just tidying up this mess ...

Offline Matchless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #460 on: March 16, 2014, 09:49:43 am »
I have managed to incorporate most of your suggestions. The items in red are still incomplete or dependent on RichardK's software updates. In some cases I need some help with better formulating of a description. Once it's more complete I will post links for the docx and pdf.
I have also added a section for listing some limitations to be aware of.

Your suggestions have helped a lot!

Note: Rather download the file as opening it in Jumpshare does not function properly it seems.

Here is the latest docx: http://jmp.sh/iNgCCck
Here is the latest pdf: http://jmp.sh/wushfT3

« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 11:21:39 am by Matchless »
Regards
Matchless

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #461 on: March 18, 2014, 03:02:24 pm »
Latest Binary: http://jmp.sh/h2xSceX

What's New:
-----------------------------------------------------------
1. Fixed a race condition which might cause random hangs.
2. Fixed a bug in the grid brightness dialog which caused part of the slider range to have no
   effect on brightness.
3. Made Horizontal and Vertical Knobs "position-clickable" (click to set position).
4. Implemented loop timeouts to prevent infinite loops in Multithread Lock code (Hang prevention).
5. Fixed a bug where disabling the Math Channel could cause a hang.
6. Added detailed Calibration Failure error messages.
7. Made waves continuously draw in Phosphor mode when Acquire stopped (To prevent smearing).
8. Added a Clear option to the Display menu which will clear the screen (good for Phosphor mode).
9. Added a Reset Interactive option to the Cursors Menu which reset the Interactive Cursor positions
   to their default locations.
10. Overhauled Rendering code, much easier to read and performance increased.
11. Fixed a few Dialog typos.
12. Fixed some Menu/Toolbar label inconsistencies.
13. Fixed some Trigger issues.
14. Trigger Single Shot mode now shows last captured waveforms while waiting for trigger, instead of
   not showing any waveforms at all.
15. Changed rendering so only Waveform's and FFT are effected by Digital Phosphor mode (Not cursors,
   text, etc...).
16. Fixed some Menu/Toolbar checkbox issues.
17. Made selecting either of the three different Line Cursor Modes enable Line Cursors if Line Cursors
   are not already enabled.
18. Added Pure Square waves (Generated from Sine Waves) to Demo Mode & Function Generator.
19. Disabled Horizontal noise for Artificial Square Waves (it's not supported).
20. Improved FFT performance when using a Window Function (precalculated window functions).
21. Added Sweep Controls to Demo Mode (sweep any demo mode property).

RichardK, usually, I try to find issues with your release to help you with debugging.  This release, I can't find any issue at all.  Great job!  The trigger and display are much more stable than before.  The UI is more polished.  This is a great release.

1 Question and 1 non-bug issue:

Issue not related to bug- when I download this, Chrome blocked it as malicious.  See attached screen print.  I am on Chrome version 33.0.1750.154 m, and it up-to-date according to Chrome's update screen.

Question- I must be missing something obvious.  You said the math and reference wave form has v/div adjustment.  I can't find it...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #462 on: March 18, 2014, 03:34:50 pm »
Just stumbled on a site detailing overheating in the 6022 DC-DC converter:

http://pididu.com/wordpress/blog/i-dropped-an-oscilloscope-on-my-foot-hantek-6022be/

EDIT:

Misread web page....6022BE was being used to DIAGNOSE an overheat issue, it was not the subject of the investigation....thats the perils of speed reading for you  :-[
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 03:44:38 pm by Aurora »

Offline RichardK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #463 on: March 18, 2014, 03:36:51 pm »
Issue not related to bug- when I download this, Chrome blocked it as malicious.  See attached screen print.  I am on Chrome version 33.0.1750.154 m, and it up-to-date according to Chrome's update screen.

No idea why chrome is deeming this malicious... I don't use Chrome, I use Firefox and Avast AV, so far no heuristic false positives.

Question- I must be missing something obvious.  You said the math and reference wave form has v/div adjustment.  I can't find it...

The voltage divisions for Math and Reference channels can be changed from the Main Menu -> Channel as well as setting Channel Control A or B to Math or Reference and setting the Voltage Division from the respective Drop Down menu for that Channel Control.

Offline RichardK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #464 on: March 18, 2014, 03:39:35 pm »
Just stumbled on a site detasiling overheating in the 6022 DC-DC converter:

http://pididu.com/wordpress/blog/i-dropped-an-oscilloscope-on-my-foot-hantek-6022be/

He is not talking about the DC-DC inside the 6022BE, he is talking about a seperate DC-DC converter that was overheating and how his first use of the 6022BE was in diagnosing the over heating of this separate DC-DC.

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #465 on: March 18, 2014, 03:42:57 pm »

No idea why chrome is deeming this malicious... I don't use Chrome, I use Firefox and Avast AV, so far no heuristic false positives.

Definitely chrome issue.

Not a single virus vendor flags this file:
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/b5d906fa4d2c2b555831f98fa2ce3d28458696d051c12e9492da4f6bc8da1bf2/analysis/1395157292/

0/50  ;D

The voltage divisions for Math and Reference channels can be changed from the Main Menu -> Channel as well as setting Channel Control A or B to Math or Reference and setting the Voltage Division from the respective Drop Down menu for that Channel Control.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

• Super Contributor
« Reply #466 on: March 18, 2014, 03:46:17 pm »
@RichardK, 

Yes, I realised too late and after posting  :-[  I was speed reading and missed the context of the tests he was doing. Oooooops ! I edited my previous Post.

Offline RichardK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #467 on: March 18, 2014, 03:48:29 pm »
@RichardK, 

Yes, I realised too late and after posting  :-[  I was speed reading and missed the context of the tests he was doing. Oooooops ! I edited my previous Post.

No worries, happens to everyone :)

Offline DarrenS

« Reply #468 on: March 19, 2014, 09:06:00 am »
I don't know if anyone else has noticed this... quite often when I click and drag on the vertical channel markers to move the waveform up and down, the pointer changes to the double arrow as if the marker will be moved, but the marker and waveform don't actually move even though the mouse pointer does. If I release the click and try it again, it works as expected. The same also happens with the trigger markers.

Does anyone else see this behaviour?

Offline Matchless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #469 on: March 19, 2014, 10:37:11 am »
I don't know if anyone else has noticed this... quite often when I click and drag on the vertical channel markers to move the waveform up and down, the pointer changes to the double arrow as if the marker will be moved, but the marker and waveform don't actually move even though the mouse pointer does. If I release the click and try it again, it works as expected. The same also happens with the trigger markers.

Does anyone else see this behaviour?

No do not get this, but why are you clicking on it?
As soon as the mouse cursor hovers over the marker the cursor changes to an down/up arrow and you just push and hold the mouse button to drag it up or down.
I am using the latest v17 and it is running on Win8.
Regards
Matchless

Offline DarrenS

« Reply #470 on: March 19, 2014, 10:49:29 am »
I'm clicking as part of the drag operation ;-) To be more accurate then I "press" the mouse button (as opposed to a click which is a press and a release). All I'm doing is a standard drag action.

To be very specific:
I move the pointer over the marker and the pointer changes to the double arrow
I press the left mouse button
I move the pointer up or down
Frequently, the pointer moves but the channel or trigger marker does not

I'm running the latest PR17 version on Win7 64bit but I have also noticed this with previous versions.

It's not a showstopper by any means, but it is slightly annoying and unnecessary.

Offline Matchless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #471 on: March 19, 2014, 11:40:27 am »
DarrenS,

Normal drag does not do it on my PC, but if the trigger sweep  is set to "Normal" then I get a delay before the waveform moves to the pointer position.

I tested with the program on Default settings and the probes connected to the front output lug on the 6022. Not sure what settings you were using.
Regards
Matchless

Offline DarrenS

« Reply #472 on: March 19, 2014, 01:38:50 pm »
I'm using the program with default settings too.

I can't find any pattern to when it happens for me - it just happens, maybe, 1 out of every 7 or 8 repeated attempts, although it quite often seems to happen on the first attempt during typical usage (i.e. not just trying to reproduce the issue).

Maybe it's only me that's affected (although I can't imagine what it is about my environment/usage that causes it) but I'd be very interested to know if anyone else has ever experienced this.

Offline roderick

• Contributor
    • Small Projects
« Reply #473 on: March 19, 2014, 04:20:29 pm »

Just as a data point, I can download the jumpshare file for version 17 from Chrome without complaint, both on Linux, and Windows XP.

Offline RichardK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #474 on: March 19, 2014, 04:22:37 pm »
I'm using the program with default settings too.

I can't find any pattern to when it happens for me - it just happens, maybe, 1 out of every 7 or 8 repeated attempts, although it quite often seems to happen on the first attempt during typical usage (i.e. not just trying to reproduce the issue).

Maybe it's only me that's affected (although I can't imagine what it is about my environment/usage that causes it) but I'd be very interested to know if anyone else has ever experienced this.

I found the problem and have fixed it, will not be a problem in the next release... A better way to reproduce it is to slowly move the cursor toward a lever until the cursor changes, then attempt to drag (it won't drag)... This was due to a slight difference in the coordinate conversion in the part of the code that determines if you are over a lever and the part of the code that moves it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf