Author Topic: Hantek 6022BE 20MHz USB DSO  (Read 856076 times)

Offline alex.forencich

• Frequent Contributor
    • Alex Forencich
Re: Hantek 6022BE 20MHz USB DSO
« Reply #500 on: March 25, 2014, 04:26:57 pm »
One is for data, the other is for extra power. Each USB port is only rated to 500 mA. This sort of setup is common for external hard drives as well.
Python-based instrument control: Python IVI, Python VXI-11, Python USBTMC

Offline Matchless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #501 on: March 25, 2014, 05:34:59 pm »
RichardK,  I have listed some issues. I was holding back as some of these may already have been solved in your coming binary. If you have a look at the User Manual I posted here http://jmp.sh/dKax03Q there are some parts in red that are not mentioned below that are easier explained in that way.
I know its always a pain in the backside to get these when busy with a project, I thus apologize in advance! Hope this helps you sort out some glitches a bit easier!

1.   If full screen is selected the GUI does not display the menu, tool bar and button bar, only the full graticule and program name area.
Pressing the ESC button returns correctly to smaller display with toolbars and controls panel in view.
Clicking the small top left hand icon and selecting Restore the display is smaller, but no toolbars or controls are shown, you have to right click on the display and select Windows Mode to get your toolbar and controls back.
This happens exactly the same on both Win7 and Win8 on same PC and on another PC running Win7.
Richard is aware of this, but cannot reproduce on his PC.
If anyone else can please test this and report back on this it will help.

2.    Autoset is not taking one to best settings option, on every run it changes the Volt/Div to a different value. On the OEM program the Trigger marker is also set to the middle of the Waveform amplitude. Richard was working on this.

3.      Trigger Sweep One shot freezes waveform display, shows "Stop" and red led flashes on device. Unable to resume if setting is changed back to Normal or Automatic, but resumes if Factory default is pressed after changing back to Normal or automatic. Pressing Autoset actually also restarts the program after freezing. Richard was looking at this.

4.   Print preview screen underlines the words when typing in Notes. Can the underline be removed? Richard was looking at this.

5.     Can colors be changed in Print Preview just for the printout?

6.   The zoom function cuts off after 19 steps, but the counter can be clicked up into the hundreds without any further response after 19.

7.     The XY mode Lissajous pattern offset is in radians, will be changed to degrees and the second pointer which stays horizontal (incorrectly) now will be moved to vertical top. (In hand with Richard)

8.   The Horizontal Time/Div ranges from dropdown menu does not compare to the values in the dropdown in the control panel S (seconds) is also after minute instead of before and 5000 sec is max in control dropdown while 500.0S is max in menu dropdown.

9.   The OPEN6022BE does not go back to previous settings used when starting it. This is working in the OEM software  (Richard has this on his pending list)

10.   Display Ch1, CH2 and reference as the square wave from the output lug and Function generator. With Ch1 & Ch2 as source, enable Maths and use A/B and you will get noise pulses of 1V. Now change one of the Sources A or B to Reference wave and see what happens to the Maths channel. Is this correct? Unable to “lock” the Maths wave now it moves around. Reference trigger position has no effect. Select Reference as trigger and all the waves except reference start moving – unable to lock.

11.   When displaying a Reference waveform and then selecting Reference as trigger, the trigger name and voltage shows right hand top. Voltage is off the screen if more than 3 numericals at the right top. E.g if the value is Reference 1.36V the “V” is off the screen, this is also present in the OEM software.

12.   The OEM software had the date and time displayed at right hand bottom corner, as well as the ”Running” in the left bottom corner. Not displayed in OPEN6022BE.

13.   If you Turn off CH1 or 2 it still shows the CH1 =xxxV and TR1= xxxV in bottom left corner. Neither clear nor reset removes this or changes it to 0V, the measurement showed before turning off remains there. OEM software removes these indications completely from the bottom line when turning channel off.

14.   OEM software has an Autohide feature for the control panel. Not provided in OPEN6022be yet.

15.   On OEM software only the trigger selected and active shows as a trigger marker, the non-active trigger does not show, but OPEN6022BE shows all the triggers whether active or not.

Regards
Matchless

Offline tpgates

« Reply #502 on: March 26, 2014, 12:58:09 pm »
I just purchased this 6022BE, have not touched a storage scope in 20 years, Tektronix last used. I immediately threw it on the output of my bench supply to view the ripple. The scope would not respond to any increase above 5VDC. I thought I was missing something in the setup. I cannot find any means to increase that 5vdc limit.

I thought that I would try a blog before returning it.

I appreciate any and all advice. I need 0 - 35vdc minimum and 115vac would be nice.

Offline RichardK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #503 on: March 26, 2014, 12:59:35 pm »
I just purchased this 6022BE, have not touched a storage scope in 20 years, Tektronix last used. I immediately threw it on the output of my bench supply to view the ripple. The scope would not respond to any increase above 5VDC. I thought I was missing something in the setup. I cannot find any means to increase that 5vdc limit.

I appreciate any and all advice. I need 0 - 35vdc minimum and 115vac would be nice.

The driver or firmware clip everything at 5V, if you want to measure higher than that you need to set the probe & the software to 10x or higher.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #504 on: March 26, 2014, 02:17:45 pm »
Hantek sells 100x probes as well as automotive ignition probes.

Offline Bocks

« Reply #505 on: March 26, 2014, 05:45:19 pm »

Like any scope, the 6022BE is not isolated. If you need to look at an AC wall socket you will need a differential probe. Floating your computer by running it on battery, although it separates your computer and the 6022BE from ground, it's still dangerous to then connect your probe to a wall socket.

Offline RichardK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #506 on: March 26, 2014, 05:52:26 pm »

Like any scope, the 6022BE is not isolated. If you need to look at an AC wall socket you will need a differential probe. Floating your computer by running it on battery, although it separates your computer and the 6022BE from ground, it's still dangerous to then connect your probe to a wall socket.

Then again, using a general purpose oscilloscope to probe high potential mains is probably not a good idea to begin with.

Offline Matchless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #507 on: March 28, 2014, 05:08:35 pm »
Here are the latest updated copies of the OPEN6022BE User Manual.
Note: Do not use the Jumpshare viewer for the docx, it has problems, rather download it.

The docx: http://jmp.sh/bjUPzDS
The pdf: http://jmp.sh/rGGbLAc

Again any feedback, suggestions, corrections etc. are welcomed! There are parts in red that are in hand with RichardK and I will update those when his next binary version is released.
Regards
Matchless

Offline lapeyroua

« Reply #508 on: March 28, 2014, 05:48:19 pm »

The driver or firmware clip everything at 5V, if you want to measure higher than that you need to set the probe & the software to 10x or higher.

Hello Richard, Thanks for all your work here
I guess the hardware clips : AD9288 A/D Converter
 Input Voltage Range (with Respect to AIN) ±512 mV p-p (excerpted from Analog Device data sheet)

Attached an extension of your 6022BE_Front_End.png
There, according to me,  we can see that due to analog mux the user can select 4 input range : 5Vpp, 2.5V, 1V, 0.5V
Do you agree with that ? and if yes, could you tell us which software position is related to hardware range

to Matchless
, OPEN6022BE User Manual :
14. Limitations and things to be aware of:
    xiii. ... " I'm not sure a 5V input signal in 1x mode is going to give a 5V signal at the node
between the 909K and 100K, but more like 500mv. This would mean the
probe in 1x mode is going to be safe all the way up to 50V and 500V in 10x "

a 5V input signal in 1x mode is going to give a 500mv signal at the node
between the 909K and 100K and at the ADC input. Anything more will be clipped by the ADC ( I'm not sure it's the safe way ! )

The A7 diodes protect the HRA input amplifier but this 5V protection is related to a 50V input.

Eric
(I'm French :-DD, not so rude :phew:, let me know what's wrong about my english, I will improve !!!  :-//)

Offline Matchless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #509 on: March 28, 2014, 06:36:38 pm »
Eric,
       Thanks for your input. Do you have a high resolution copy of that schematic you posted? Would you have any issue if I put it in the manual sometime in the future?

Much appreciated!
Regards
Matchless

Offline marpolsdofer

« Reply #510 on: March 29, 2014, 09:59:13 am »
can some one help me with a minor problem I am having. Does the original hantek software do RMS in watts? It not necessary but it would be great to see what the amps are putting out and can adjust each channel accordingly with out calculating it and for other channels that may require lower power.

Also what is this I was reading about a new software? What makes it better? Where can I actually find it?

Thanks

Offline lapeyroua

« Reply #511 on: March 29, 2014, 10:04:54 am »
Matchless
Here are three versions of the schematic
pdf : http://jmp.sh/KDVL21k
bmp zipped : http://jmp.sh/gQ9MADv
source : http://jmp.sh/DYYGEhr

I used "DesignSpark PCB" to edit the source : free download from http://www.rs-online.com/designspark/electronics/
Probably not the best tool for your purpose.

No problem for me if you  use and modify this files. This is an Hantek's design.
For convenience, I used absolute values : Vin range is [+5V, -5V]

Feel free to ask for modifications

Eric

Offline Matchless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #512 on: March 29, 2014, 02:59:56 pm »
Eric,
      Thanks, now I can see the blue labels a bit better. I think this will give some of the people who want to know these things a better insight into the front end.
For the manual I need to have it in A4, preferably portrait and need to move the labels for clarity. I will try SPlan which is very good for this kind of diagrams.
Much appreciated!
Regards
Matchless

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #513 on: March 29, 2014, 03:09:49 pm »
can some one help me with a minor problem I am having. Does the original hantek software do RMS in watts? It not necessary but it would be great to see what the amps are putting out and can adjust each channel accordingly with out calculating it and for other channels that may require lower power.

Also what is this I was reading about a new software? What makes it better? Where can I actually find it?

Thanks

To do that you need a current probe or a shunt resistor. Without having one of these, it's impossible to measure wattage alone. You need two of the three ( volts, current, resistance) to get watts. If you know the resistance of your load you can calculate watts. That being said if your load is dynamic (like a speaker) then the above methods are the only way to do it properly and get a real result. In summary, no it doesn't do watts because it's a voltage only device.

RichardK is writing the new software this thread deals with. Go back a few pages to find the latest post where he posts a build.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #514 on: March 29, 2014, 07:53:21 pm »
Matchless
Here are three versions of the schematic
pdf : http://jmp.sh/KDVL21k
bmp zipped : http://jmp.sh/gQ9MADv
source : http://jmp.sh/DYYGEhr

Eric, thanks a lot for providing those.  Interestingly, a PNG version of that BMP is smaller than the BMP zipped.  :)

Offline marpolsdofer

« Reply #515 on: March 29, 2014, 09:10:53 pm »

Thanks

To do that you need a current probe or a shunt resistor. Without having one of these, it's impossible to measure wattage alone. You need two of the three ( volts, current, resistance) to get watts. If you know the resistance of your load you can calculate watts. That being said if your load is dynamic (like a speaker) then the above methods are the only way to do it properly and get a real result. In summary, no it doesn't do watts because it's a voltage only device.

RichardK is writing the new software this thread deals with. Go back a few pages to find the latest post where he posts a build.

I have them just most of the scopes I have seen have a RMS wattage display and rather not calculate . All you do is play the test tone's, set it to below clipping with the scope and done but the RMS watts will give you a idea of what you are putting out. If the amp is CEA 2006 compliant it will out out what it says but if its not you might not even get 2/3 of what is say or that may be the draw.

My amp and sub are I have no problems becaues my amp is 500 under the 1500 RMS load. My amp and speakers are the problem. The Amp at 4 Ohm is 50x4. Well my front are rated for 45 but they should be able to handle 50, but the amp can put actually put out 10 over rated for each channel so now its 60. I do not want to go more then 50 of the fronts so I would need to calculate or have a scope that shows watt RMS witch most scopes used do show. The rears can handle 100 so want the amp to push as much as I can there or get some 2 Ohm speakers and match the 2 Ohm rating.

I do have a clamp type multimeter to look at amps but its a chepo so I don't trust it. I will have to use my good one and do at the measurements  to double check from the scope and get all the other data needed to calculate.
I just rather have to use just the scope. Every scope I seen allows you to add loads and what not and give you watt RMS.

Well they read Vrms but they are displaying watts.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 09:14:52 pm by marpolsdofer »

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #516 on: March 29, 2014, 09:24:01 pm »
I have them just most of the scopes I have seen have a RMS wattage display...

I would need to calculate or have a scope that shows watt RMS witch most scopes used do show...

Every scope I seen allows you to add loads and what not and give you watt RMS.

Well they read Vrms but they are displaying watts.

I've seen hundreds of different scopes over the last 30-some years, and I can't recall a single general-purpose scope that displays Watts.

Can you give us a few examples of what "every scope you've seen" are?  I'm really curious.

Offline marpolsdofer

« Reply #517 on: March 29, 2014, 11:33:42 pm »
Well mostly all of them say Vrms and then what ever the number is. However, amps are rated in watt RMS and the number next to Vrms is showing the number corresponding to the rating in watts so it seams.
or am I missing something.

If you watch the video here you will see what I mean. 

If some one can shine light on the subject that would be great.

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #518 on: March 30, 2014, 12:28:57 am »
Well mostly all of them say Vrms and then what ever the number is. However, amps are rated in watt RMS and the number next to Vrms is showing the number corresponding to the rating in watts so it seams.

Based on what I see, the issue is that guy doesn't know how to use an oscilloscope. If you read the display it's clearly reading AC Vrms. So unless he a secondary test rig feeding that oscilloscope his number is wrong. First off it looks like he's directly wired from the amp into the oscilloscope. Then he set the probe divider to 1:10. With no divider, he's getting voltage readings 10x too high. Unless there's something else going on that's NOT watts. In fact if you divide his voltage by 10 to get 30V. Then apply ohms law, assuming a constant 2 ohm load (not a good assumption with a speaker) you get 450W. Not 300W like he says.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 12:49:44 am by PedroDaGr8 »
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #519 on: March 30, 2014, 12:52:10 am »

Well I can honestly say I have never seen this before (in a scope), check out 9:32 into the video below. Any opinions?

« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 01:18:11 am by pickle9000 »

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #520 on: March 30, 2014, 01:01:24 am »

Yes, you are.  But it's not all your fault.  He's missing something too.  Putting the RMS units after an AC Voltage reading doesn't turn it into Watts.  Sorry.

Thanks for the link.  The instrument he is using is a Fluke 105B Scopemeter (Series II), that goes for about a grand.  It can display a large DMM readout, along with a signal trace.  Which is handy.  And like I suspected, it's not reading out Wattage... it says Vrms plain as day. 

That said, there has to be something else going on,  because there's no way he was pumping >300 VAC into a 2-ohm speaker.  :)  He has something else tied into the circuit (a watt-to-volt converter?), and whatever that device is would also work on other scopes.  Why don't you ask him?

[Also, if the 2-ohm speaker was the only load he had on that amp, driving it at those levels at 40 Hz would be WAY louder than anything in that video.  He's got to have a large dummy load of some kind.]

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #521 on: March 30, 2014, 01:45:09 am »
Well I can honestly say I have never seen this before (in a scope), check out 9:32 into the video. Any opinions?

Thanks for the additional video link, Pickle.  Looks like a $200 Velleman also has a similar capability as the Fluke.  However, it actually labels the units properly in Watts, which Fluke doesn't. 

Since these are both combo scope+DMMs, they have a few special features not ordinarily found on general-purpose scopes.  Doing the calculations to display Vrms as Watts isn't difficult, as long as you know the resistance you're pumping in to.  This is an input setting the User must supply.  And on the Velleman, he actually showed that selection process.  But on Page 3-7 of the Measurements section on the Fluke, it says, "WATT AC METER: Measure the AC audio watts from the signal in Meter mode. This is done with DC-coupled input. You can choose 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, or 50? as reference impedance.".

You can do the same type of thing on any of the newer DSOs with advanced Math capabilities.  You just need V^2/R, but most don't have a Sqr() function, so you'd need to tie both channels to the same test point, and use CH1*CH2/ohms.

To the OP, I'd suggest you could grab one of the Vellemans that support this specialized Measurement function (HPS50?).  The Velleman is only a single channel, and maybe 12 MHz bandwidth, but you don't need much for audio work. 

Or just get the reading in Vrms at clipping, and do the calculation to see the wattage value (V*V/2, or 4, or 8 ).  You don't really need a continuous readout directly in Watts to be able to detect the max output threshold.  I suspect you can get a pocket calculator for less than a Fluke scopemeter, or even a Velleman.  ;)

Offline marpolsdofer

« Reply #522 on: March 30, 2014, 01:54:42 am »
I just more or less wanted a watt reading with out calculating it. Then I would set my front to a safe RMS and the rear well just need to not clip.
I don't know about the humming but in the other vids they say the subs are disconnected, maybe he had something else hooked up and that could explain that . I can call them and ask they seem friendly and knowledgeable last I order from them.

I figure I ask here first since people here know about this scope.

Anyways I have 2 Kicker 12" CVX's 2 Ohm to pair with my old zx 1000.1. All I need to worry there is to prevent clipping.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #523 on: March 30, 2014, 02:13:00 am »
Once richard gets the basic software done to his satisfaction it may be an idea to remind him of this watt calculation. It's a novelty but still interesting.

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #524 on: March 30, 2014, 02:34:47 am »
I just more or less wanted a watt reading with out calculating it.

Ah, a lazy son of a... gun.  :D

I don't know about the humming but in the other vids they say the subs are disconnected, maybe he had something else hooked up and that could explain that . I can call them and ask they seem friendly and knowledgeable last I order from them.

That's OK.  We've got it all figured out now, and explained above.  They're using a resistive dummy load, and a meter with a special calculation function built in.

I figure I ask here first since people here know about this scope.

Well, neither the stock Hantek software, nor the improved version that RichardK is working on, has the capability you're asking for.  So if you really want the Wattage readout, you'll have to look elsewhere.  That was actually explained some posts back.  It doesn't do it.

And this special function is not as widely available as you've suggested... even on scopemeters.  I actually own a ~$600 handheld scopemeter that's just a few years old (3-4), and it has no such functionality.

Anyways I have 2 Kicker 12" CVX's 2 Ohm to pair with my old zx 1000.1. All I need to worry there is to prevent clipping.

If you just want to see where it occurs, so you can back off and set a maximum there, you could do that with the 6022BE and even the stock software.  Use the 10x setting on the probe.

There's one other thing worth keeping in mind.  While it's fun and easy to make power output measurements into dummy loads, they have their limitations.  For example, while an amp may not start clipping until 300W into a resistor, you can't listen to a resistor.  Speakers are reactive devices (mostly inductive) and one rated at 4-ohm (for example) may cause an amp to work harder at some frequencies, and thus start clipping, even when it's "not supposed to".

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf