Author Topic: Hantek 6022BE- Will it work for me  (Read 97163 times)

Offline KaloyanPTopic starter

Hantek 6022BE- Will it work for me
« on: April 28, 2013, 12:45:31 pm »
Hello, I have been following the vblog for a while now. I am an electromechanical engineering student and I need an oscilloscope for my personal projects. Given that summer is coming and I won't have access to the labs, I need to buy one. Since I often move countries as I am an international student, I cant afford an analog oscilloscope due to weight and size constrictions and I cannot financially justify a decent digital one.

I am not going to be using it at high frequencies or high voltages, so in terms of specs, I should be very well within the limit. I will mostly be using it to debug microcontroller circuits and RC motor drivers, mostly low  voltage stuff (up to 36Vpp) and other simple stuff like this. No HF electronics or anything like that (yet).

My question is- how bad IS the software for these things? I have read online that the biggest problem with Hantek oscilloscopes, and other chinese brands in general, is their software. What are the common problems when running under Windows 7 64? What do people mean when they say "bad"?

Also, a very dumb question about the precision- when they say 20mv to 5V, do they mean that the resolution is 20mV or that the smallest division is 20mV. I know that on a bench scope I can count on it to have a variable gain amp, but I dont know how the pc ones operate.

Thank you in advance for answering my noob questions :)

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
Re: Hantek 6022BE- Will it work for me
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 02:11:32 am »
I cannot justify spending $400 for a new proper DSO, or $250 and up for a proper used DSO.  I briefly considered a used analog scope, but I have used analog scopes before and I wanted something different.  It is either a one of these or do without.  Rather than doing without, I decided to get the Hantek 6022BE.  I spend just under $77 for it.

(I was waiting for it went you posted this comment)

I have neither the skill nor the equipment to do a proper review.  When I was deciding, I so wished to see what the 6022BE could do and how the rendered waveform would look like.  Since you are deciding, I will share with you what I can and cannot do with it.  And I will also share a few observations.  I hope the info will help you decide.

First, this is not a scope you grow with.  This is a scope you learn the limitation of and live within.  You will outgrow this one if you stay in EE.  This is a “try-out” scope.  If you are in EE for real and for the distance, a proper scope will serve you better. 

Here is what I tried that the scope can/cannot do (1st weekend of ownership, so I have not yet discovered all the can/cannot):

1. The build-in reference waveform - with all the noise include.  The noise is around +-10mV, not too bad except when you are dealing with 50mV.  I saw one “unboxing” video and the other guy had the noise too.  So I was expecting that and it did not caused disappointment.
Attachment 1:  The build in reference waveform with both channels.

2. Triangle ~57khz - I made a home made booster using the MC34063 a few weeks back.  I was still twiddling with it to learn.  By the MC34063 datasheet, I should have a triangular wave on the timing pin when properly timed.  I know it is working so something should be there.  Below is how the (approx) 57khz triangle looks on the 6022BE.  The frequency matched the UT-61E reading almost to-the-dot.  I also used the scope to find the inductor with least ripples in my limited inventory of four unlabeled ones.  That was successful in a sense (I found the one with least ripples but least ripples does not equate to best).  So had that been the goal, it could have been done.
Attachment 2:  The triangular wave at around 57khz

3. Just for kicks, I added an OpAmp to trigger compare the wave to a fix voltage just to see how it behaves.  I had expected more of a square wave but it is not nearly square.  (I will get into rise time later.  I don’t think it is rounded because of a slow rise time for the 6022BE, I think it is rounded because of other things.)
Attachment 3:  The triangular wave (yellow) fed into an OpAmp (green), and using the math to have CH1 - CH2 (blue).  The math can do + - x / and FFT.

4,5,6. Inductor resonance - With my few inductors without label, I wanted to know approximately what they are.  I connected up a tank circuit to measure for that.  These pictures below are measuring a marked 400uH inductor paired with a 10uF capacitor for illustration.  Both are old removed components from a power supply.
Attachment 4: The ring (not the movie…)

Attachment 5: I can zoom in some but the reading can be more accurate yet.  Measuring the frequency at this magnification, the 400uH calculates to be 370uH.  (Still within expected margin, but doming more illustrating of the scope.)

Attachment 6: Zoom in more.  (Showing you 6022BE’s smaller division) With smaller t/div the measured frequency is more accurate.  This time, the 400uH is calculated to be 385uH.

7. See the LM2577’s output pin:  The LM2577 is set to max at just around 23-27Volt.
Attachment 7: LM2577’s output pin.

8. A closer look into just one cycle of the LM2577’s output.  Looking at the square (rectangular) part, it is just about twice as wide as a 1MHz square wave, so a 1MHz square wave should show reasonably well.
Attachment: one cycle of the LM2577’s output

9. Since the OpAmp output does not look square, and the 6022BE spec has rise time=10%-90%!!!  Since they would not even put in a number, I decided to do a few more things (illustrated below) to get an idea how fast the 6022BE rise time is using the LM2577’s output pin:
Attachment – note, I purposely put the cursor one dot below the waveform so you can see the yellow waveform.  This is a vertical+horizontal cursor.  The machine supports 3 types of cursor: Vertical, horizontal, or H+V.  (Note also: when zooming in, the display shows the capture rate IF you run it at that time/div BUT NOT the actual time/div when the data was captured.)  With the close zoom, I saw that there was only 1 single data point during the rise!  Including the data point before and after, the whole rise took 3 data points only.  So an even closer inspection was done later.  When including the before/after data point, the measurement (141ns) is an “upper bound”.

10. For a better measurement of the rise time, I switch to the highest capture rate.  Here is one place where the 6022BE’s spec could be misleading.  At 48MegaSamples/Second (2uSec/div or less per division) it captures merely 1060 data points or about 21uSec of data.  It is hard to find a good way to trigger it to catch the rise when the wave period is longer than the capture duration.  This one happens to have a good undershoot at the end of each period, so I triggered on that point.  Otherwise, I would have needed to press the “RUN” button (with single shot) again and again to try to catch the right 21uSec.  More on data points in “other notes” below.

Using 48MS/S, the upper bound for the rise took 80ns with 5 samples taken: before+3 during rise+after.   With a rise time of 80ns, I am optimistic it appears it may be able to show 1MHz-2Mhz square wave reasonably well.

Other notes:

1. Lots of noise making triggering difficult (around +- 3 to 10mv).  I think the noise makes the scope triggered early (or late) by a sample point or two.  At around 100KHz, the waveform jitters a lot (left-right by 1/10 of a division).  It was discerning at first. After a while, I got use to it and can get a good sense of how the waveform looks.  Of course, I used pause or do the single-shot for measurement.

2. The print is worthless.  The yellow waveform cannot be seen against the white background.  Screen print is good.

3. Did I say noise?

4. The accuracy is not so great.  It is suppose to be 3%, but at certain voltage the error is a lot worst. (I used my 4 months old UT-61E as reference. I expect it to still be in-spec.)  The readings were consistently high in my case.  It got better at times (warm up?) but I don’t have a handle on that yet.  Calibration doesn’t help. 

Error percentage table for 1x probe and 10x probe, 1st column is the 10x probe
10x probe  1x probe
5v  3.0% >4.6%
4.6v  (reading tops out at 4.71v for 1x probe)
4.5v  2.7%  4.6%
4v  2.0%  4.2%
3.5v  4%  3.7%
3v  2.3%  4.6%
2.5v  0.4% 4%
2.0v  1.5%  5%
1.5v  0.0%  2.7%

5. Data points – At 2uSec or below, it capture at 48MS/S for merely 1016 data points. At the next setting (5uSec per division) it captures 130048 data points at 16MS/S.   The data point keeps increasing as sample rate decreases but not linearly.  At 200ms/division it samples at 500KS/S and collects 1,047,552 data points so the spec’s 1 Mega points is correct.  You can save the data, but there is no time stamp for data points.

6. No delay trigger, DC coupling only

7. Did I tell you lots of noise? (It is bad but not drop dead.  After I got used to it and I mentally tune it out, I was able to spot the “ring resonance” to measure inductance at 50mV scale even while the noise is 10mV.)  I do wish it is cleaner…

So, to wrap up, so far, I am satisfied with it at under $77 USD.  If I continue to dig back into EE a year from now, (and/or business condition changes), I would feel more justified to spend more on a scope.  Right now, it is that or nothing and I am pleased I got that.

Good luck with your decision.

Rick
(EDIT: inserted the image in-line
 EDIT2: Grammatical)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 03:56:13 am by Rick Law »

The following users thanked this post: seanspotatobusiness, pilotchup, horo

Offline womai

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 03:56:28 pm »
I just added a review of this unit in a different thread that may be interesting for you:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-6022be-20mhz-usb-dso/msg258456/#msg258456

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 06:09:30 pm »
I just added a review of this unit in a different thread that may be interesting for you:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-6022be-20mhz-usb-dso/msg258456/#msg258456

Indeed of interest.  I am checking it out.

Thanks

Offline mbwizca

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 02:21:29 pm »
 :(
I know this is quite a old post,
I purchased on of those from China...
Beware, if you think shipping and price is low, you will find out a DOA and having to return the instrument is very costly

I purchased on Ebay, and the price to send the unit back was twice the price I paid ... economically turning it into a very expensive paper weight...
Apparently there is a lot of refurbished unit from china, put back on the market as new...

Beware of the dealer you purchase from,
the one I used looked like a very specialized instrument place...
Not worth the risk... :--

The following users thanked this post: seanspotatobusiness

Offline Seekonk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 08:07:40 pm »
All that said, I bought one for a specialty application just for the time digital read out and I will be buying one for myself for the camp which is only 12V.  My eyes aren't as good as they used to be and I like having the bigger screen of the laptop.  Every instrument has its shortcomings, but I think this scope is hard for beginners who don't know what to expect for sampled waveforms.  I use both the factory and the open software which isn't quite ready for prime time either.  At $65 US ship I think it is a deal.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 08:22:52 pm »
I purchased one of these so I could play with it. I have other scopes. I keep it in my laptop case and had 2 opportunities to use it. One was to document a waveform in the field. It was an impromptu check for an old customer. The other was a very small troubleshooting job.

Was it worth it? Yes, the travel time alone would have covered more than twice the cost of the unit. 

Offline gnuarm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 11:13:47 pm »
I am very disappointed with Hantek.  I have the 6022BL and after searching for support I found some threads here I had not seen before.  In particular one described the circuit board  as having totally separate logic for the scope and  the logic analyzer muxed through a USB hub.  I now understand why I can't run the scope and logic analyzer together as a MSO. 

But that is a bit moot.  I can't run the scope at all.  I bring up the "unwise" application.... no joke, that is the file name.  This opens a small window with two boxes in it, one labeled Hantek6022BE and the other labeled Hantek6022BL.  The BL function will run and shows a very limited capability logic analyzer.  The BE function crashes when it starts.  I have no idea why.  It opens the window where I can see controls and a screen which shows images of the various model scopes they make.  But before anything else happens Windows says "Scope has stopped working" with the only option being to close the window.

The logic analyzer shouldn't be called that since there is no "analysis" that I can find.  As far as I can tell, there is no triggering capability AT ALL!!!  You press the button on the panel and it records at the sample rate specified and fills the available memory.  I don't see how this would ever be at all useful.

I wanted to use this scope as a very portable device, but clearly it is not a reliable piece of gear.  Is there a trick to getting this to run under Windows 8?  The manual says Windows 8 is supported.
Rick C.  --  Puerto Rico is not a country... It's part of the USA
  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  - Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

Offline daybyter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 10:36:18 am »
Did you try the RichardK software?

Offline gnuarm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2021, 09:13:49 pm »
Did you try the RichardK software?

No, sorry I didn't reply sooner, this is not my regular stomping grounds.  Where would I find that?  I'd have to find the scope.  I didn't throw it out, but it's buried somewhere.

Oh, this has been so long, I guess I should mention I'm running Windows 10 now.  Any support for Linux?

Offline ghumphr1

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2021, 10:01:28 pm »
Yes...PulseView - sigrok.org

Offline PKTKS

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2021, 02:35:23 pm »

Offline gnuarm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2021, 01:10:06 pm »

Offline PKTKS

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2021, 01:22:31 pm »

http://openhantek.org/

Paul

Yeah, but Linux only.

And works better than original...

Alas.. the sigrok  firmware also works better..
AFAIK it *should*  work on Windooze...

AFAIK as well last time I checked the Microshit  news..

They claim they already have totally embraced and extended
not only *cmdline* (whatever that shit is) but someBUNTU now
is officially available in Microshit store as an applet..

you can point click install run in a single second *puf*
anything *NIX is running in a VM systemd_python_wayland_shell_win....

2 points checked.
Embrace - check
Extend - check

Missing only extinguish  .. coming soon  as they manage to implode
Xorg  exhaust all developers as they did countless times

I have some Hantek stuff - they work fine on *NIX.

I would like to see their OFFICIAL scopes apps ported...

Hard to get rid of microshit..

Paul
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 01:40:14 pm by PKTKS »

Offline PKTKS

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2021, 01:41:35 pm »

PS>  problem looks like ... they are licensing some Keysight/Agilent
stuff (kinda the whole BUS I/O protocol stack ) to have that thing
working on  the crappy Windooze OS

not having real time priorities ....

On  *nix the whole thing is far from needing that..

Anytime soon Keysight and Agilent software stack should
be called to that reality.. 

How hard they will avoid it as corporate buz flows underneath

yet to see.  :scared:

Paul

Offline horo

• Regular Contributor
    • My GitHub Projects
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 06:42:42 pm by horo »

Offline ajlenze

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2021, 08:15:57 pm »
(horo)  Thanks for the link to the Windows binaries - I've been looking for them.

You probably don't want to be OpenHantek6022 support, but I'm going to reluctantly ask you a question.  Do I have to install a driver to use the binaries you linked to?  I've seen some directions about using a "Zadig" app to install the driver - should I do that?

(Questions for everyone)
Does the Hantek 6022BE oscilloscope allow single sequence trigging when running at its maximum sampling rate (48 MSamples/S)?

Also, it looks to me like the Instrustar IDS205A is almost the same product as the Hantek 6022BE.  Does it work with OpenHantek6022?

Thanks,

A.J. Lenze

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf