Author Topic: Hantek DSO-5200A debugging  (Read 19257 times)

Offline frenkyTopic starter

• Supporter
    • Frenki.net
Hantek DSO-5200A debugging
« on: August 02, 2012, 07:49:17 pm »
Hi guys.

I hope you will be able to help me with this.
Some time ago I bought USB oscilloscope Hantek DSO-5200A and it worked great.
After a year of rest I tried to connect it on my new pc with WIN 7 with no success.
The red led kept blinking and windows software freezed if I connected the scope over usb.

So I tried to connect to my old PC which already had drivers and software on.
Same thing happened here, software would freeze if I connected scope to computer so it was not a driver problem.

I have found on some forum (lost it now) that it is firmware problem and that I should delete the log file in the DSOs system.

So I took the scope apart to find serial port header. But no luck. I have found the chip with UART (Cypress CY7C68013A) but I can't find where the header is.
I guess I could solder directly on pins of the chip but I don't have hot air station.

If any of you took one of this DSOs apart and found the UART please help.

Info about Hantek DSO-5200A:
http://sigrok.org/wiki/Hantek_DSO-5200A

My photos (too big for embedding):

Top:
https://sites.google.com/site/colorcodeshtml/home/DSO-5200A_top_500K.jpg

Bottom (you can see CY7C68013A here):
https://sites.google.com/site/colorcodeshtml/home/DSO-5200A_bottom_500K.jpg

UART on CY7C68013A:
https://sites.google.com/site/colorcodeshtml/home/chip-usb-uart.PNG

You can see full resolution (4400x200) pictures here: https://sites.google.com/site/colorcodeshtml/home

Please help! :)

Bye,
Frenky

Offline zaoka

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Hantek DSO-5200A debugging
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 12:27:50 am »
(what camera do you use to take this good picture?)

• Supporter
    • Frenki.net
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 06:12:20 am »
I used Canon 20D + Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
(Aperture: F10, ISO 100, mirror lockup, timer)

Two lamps with white CFLs from each side were used for less shadows.

To avoid any vibrations (and blurred photo) I set mirror lockup and timer.
I shot the left and right part of PCB separate for less perspective distortion.
Later in GIMP I stitched both parts together and applied sharpening filter.

Offline biot

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 10:53:01 am »
[...]
The red led kept blinking and windows software freezed if I connected the scope over usb.

So I tried to connect to my old PC which already had drivers and software on.
Same thing happened here, software would freeze if I connected scope to computer so it was not a driver problem.

The red LED blinking just means the firmware is loaded. It blinks green while acquiring data.

I have found on some forum (lost it now) that it is firmware problem and that I should delete the log file in the DSOs system.

Unlikely, as the DSO-5200A really doesn't have anything like local storage, except for a small EEPROM (which doesn't have anything like a filesystem on it). It doesn't have an operating system, only a very small firmware to interface the internal chips to the host PC.

You likely read that about the Hantek DSO-5102, which is a completely different architecture -- something Hantek purchased, not designed. That system does indeed have some problem that can be resolved by deleting some file on its filesystem, via a serial port.

As to what's wrong with your DSO-5200A, I have no idea.

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 11:45:54 am »
When you say "the software freezes", do you mean the DSO software?
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

• Supporter
    • Frenki.net
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 12:28:30 pm »
@PA0PBZ:
Yes. When I start the DSO software it freezes before it gets to show main window. If I unplug usb, then then app resumes to load normally.
If I replug usb the app freezes again.

@biot:
Thank you for explanation. Could it be that if I do connect to DSO trough UART that I could see "something" to help me fix it?
If you look at arduino. It does not have an OS but if you load a sketch that supports serial communication then you can "talk" to arduino via UART...
Or am I completely wrong?

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 12:52:04 pm »
Yes. When I start the DSO software it freezes before it gets to show main window. If I unplug usb, then then app resumes to load normally.
If I replug usb the app freezes again.
If, like biot says, the blinking red LED indicates that the firmware is loaded, does that mean that it starts to blink when you start the DSO software? I assume that the firmware is uploaded by the DSO software.
If that is so, it should mean that the cypress USB chip is still working, but that something is wrong in the communication between the DSO windows software and the main chip.
I see that Hantek has an SDK on their website with some examples in VB and VC. Maybe that way you will be able to find out where things are going wrong.

Offline biot

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 01:12:31 pm »
Thank you for explanation. Could it be that if I do connect to DSO trough UART that I could see "something" to help me fix it?
If you look at arduino. It does not have an OS but if you load a sketch that supports serial communication then you can "talk" to arduino via UART...
Or am I completely wrong?

There is nothing in that FX2 microcontroller's firmware that listens on a UART port to take commands. The only commands it takes are via USB.

• Supporter
    • Frenki.net
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 01:31:52 pm »
Thank you both. :)

I will try with SDK. I'm a developer so it shouldn't be a problem...

Will also try to get it running in Linux with some opensource apps (Digital Soda, HantekDSO, OpenHantek...)

• Supporter
    • Frenki.net
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 05:16:52 pm »
I run the SDK code in VS6 and here are the results:

When I run the sdk example VisualStudio stops working at call "sdSetTriggerAndSampleRate".

This is the code:
Code: [Select]
    InitializeVariables
    'Open Device
    Result = sdSearchDevice(DeviceIndex) 'Device found, Result=1
    If Result = 0 Then
        MsgBox ("DSO not found!")
        End
    End If
    MainForm.Visible = True
    'initialize hardware
    Result = sdGetLevel(DeviceIndex, level(0)) 'Device index is 0
    Result = sdSetTriggerAndSampleRate(DeviceIndex, TriggerSlope, ETS, Controlstate, PulseTrigger, PulseTriggerMode, PulseWidth) 'Stops responding !
    Result = sdSetFilt(DeviceIndex, FiltAndTrigger)
    Result = sdSetVoltageAndCoupling(DeviceIndex, Ch1Voltage, Ch2Voltage, Ch1_ACDC, Ch2_ACDC, Controlstate)
    Result = sdSetOffset(DeviceIndex, levers, Ch1Voltage, Ch2Voltage, TriggerSource, level(0))
    Result = sdCaptureStart(DeviceIndex)
    Result = sdTriggerEnabled(deivceindex)
    Initialization = False
    MainForm.GetDataLoop.Enabled = True

So first two calls trough SDK5200A.dll go fine (sdSearchDevice, sdGetLevel) and return "1" as result.
But call to "sdSetTriggerAndSampleRate" gets no response and app stops responding until I unplug usb.

I'm not really sure where to go from here...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 05:19:12 pm by frenky »

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 06:08:30 pm »
No, that's not very helpful at all  :-\ You could try to change some variables in the controlstate to see if that makes a difference, but I think it's time for a teardown!
Just guessing here of course, but it looks like the FPGA or whatever is in there is not responding, so that makes me think of a power or clock missing.
Get your scope and multimeter out and poke around... Would be nice if you could get the heatsink off and find out what device it is, but at least there must be some recognisable traces of power and clock circuitry.

• Supporter
    • Frenki.net
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 06:36:40 pm »
If, like biot says, the blinking red LED indicates that the firmware is loaded, does that mean that it starts to blink when you start the DSO software? I assume that the firmware is uploaded by the DSO software.

Just to clarify the red blinking led. Led blinks red all the time when DSO has power (via usb).
This does not change in any way when I run the DSO software or SDK example.

If I remember correctly when the scope was working ok, you could hear a click of relay in DSO when you started the PC software and the led turned green.

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 06:39:23 pm »
Thanks for clarifying that. Since the software is able to find the DSO I still think that the cypress USB part is OK. Time for hardware...

Offline biot

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 07:58:15 pm »
Just to clarify the red blinking led. Led blinks red all the time when DSO has power (via usb).
This does not change in any way when I run the DSO software or SDK example.

If I remember correctly when the scope was working ok, you could hear a click of relay in DSO when you started the PC software and the led turned green.

The relays control the amplifiers, coupling and trigger source. The software just initializes it to a default state when it starts, which usually involves various relays changing state. It doesn't have to happen though, the scope could already be in the right state.

Offline qwer88

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2012, 11:51:42 pm »
ei saa aru  >:(

alm

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2012, 01:17:38 am »
ei saa aru  >:(
Je ne comprends pas.

Offline VINKU

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 11:40:04 am »
Hey Everybody,

I have a DSO-2150 which works fine for 2 minutes and then the red light starts glowing and the software freezes. I am connecting it to the output of a comparator (5V max).   :(

Can anybody help me out?

Thanks

Offline kingjay1

• !
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 06:35:30 am »
I am not interested in USB oscilloscope :P
Because the USB oscilloscope need send the waveform information to computer by USB cable or others interface.It's a waste of time.So, the refresh rate is what worries me most.

Offline ucz

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2012, 08:35:21 pm »
I don't recognise symbols on chips, what is analog to digital converters  and what is a chip (fpga?) under heatsink.
Could anyone list symbols of this elements?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 10:37:29 pm by ucz »

Offline Munsterfield

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2019, 10:27:48 pm »
I know this is a really old thread, but, sadly my DSO-5200 oscilloscope started doing the same thing today! :(
It blinks Red like normal when it's plugged in, but then when the software is launch, it hangs on the launch screen until I unplug it, and then the software says that it's searching for the device.  The device always blinks Red until it is unplugged.
It does blink green only once though, when the software is trying to connect to it.
Was anyone able to solve this issue?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf