Author Topic: Hantek DSO4254B/C suggestion  (Read 6536 times)

Offline itsmaxddTopic starter

Hantek DSO4254B/C suggestion
« on: January 24, 2019, 02:59:42 pm »
Hello there,
i was looking for a good 100Mhz+ oscilloscope possibly with 4CH.
I've seen 0 posts on the forum about the Hantek DSO4254B/C, why is that?
Maybe i'm missing something but it has really good specs without any hax at all.
The alternatives are Siglent SDS1104 with hack (1204) or the "old" DS1054Z
Anyone tried it? Suggestions?

Offline suku

• Contributor
Re: Hantek DSO4254B/C suggestion
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 11:17:18 am »
Hi, unfortunately there isn't much info about these oscilloscopes online. I went ahead and ordered it anyways. Hopefully it will arrive soon. It would be nice if we could get Dave to request a review unit. The price point and the promised functionality is unmatched on the market currently. I'll give you an update when it arrives.

Offline Microcheap

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 12:55:59 am »
I've posted the steps to hack the BW in these scopes some time ago, if you are interested:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/upgrading-the-hantek-dso4072c-osciloscope-bandwidth-from-70mhz-to-200mhz/msg2089726/#msg2089726

Offline suku

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 12:19:36 pm »
 :-+ maybe this hack will make the scope more popular! I ordered the 250MHz version from the manufacturer because it was not much more expensive. It was 400$ + VAT & import into EU (with the ethernet option), 1 year manufacturer warranty.

I plan to make some sort of review, because there is very limited information available currently. The specs and the manual looks promising, if the firmware is half reasonable then this is great value for the money! The latest firmware update came out in December last year, so it is fairly recent.

I'll get share more info when it arrives.

Offline tinhead

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 12:57:39 pm »
I ordered the 250MHz version … I plan to make some sort of review

cool.

From the few pictures posted by @Microcheap one can think Hantek designed frontend better than in "their" already 10yrs old models

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-tekway-dso-hack-get-200mhz-bw-for-free/

But of course review would bring some light.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 01:01:58 pm by tinhead »
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline suku

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 06:13:44 pm »
My DSO4254C arrived today, I haven't had time to play around with it much, but it looks promising... I'll post some pictures tomorrow, if anyone has a specific questions about a particular feature just let me know and I will check it/try to answer.

Cheers

Offline zoran

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 09:15:58 pm »
My Hantek DSO4104B is a lesser model than the DSO4254C, but it can be hacked to 250 MHz bandwidth. As itsmaxdd noticed, there is not enough information about the new DSO4004 series, so I decided to borrow this thread to write a quick summary of my purchase.
Recently I was looking for a cheap four channel oscilloscope from Siglent’s and Rigol’s offerings to complement my PC USB oscilloscope. I then noticed a very low priced Hantek DSO4104B that I ordered it despite the numerous nasty bugs that early versions had.
In my electronic engineering times, I was using mostly Hameg and later also GW Instek equipment, so I had very low expectations from such a cheap device from a relatively unknown Chinese manufacturer.
I must say that I was wrong. The Hantek DSO4104B is nicely built with good PCB layout and proper internal shielding. On the outside, I really like its clean professional look with a logical controls layout and nice greyish color theme which Hantek “borrowed” from Keysight (Agilent) and improved upon as there are no rainbow colors. The same design language is present at dial knobs as they have nice rubbery feel instead of cheap plastic one. The haptic operation is sadly not as good as on premium devices.
General user experience is good but more on the slower side. Shifting between various options through menus is fast and responsive, but moving signal traces are slow compared to the latest offerings from Siglent and Rigol. In XY mode you only get few frames per second. It is still usable but far from 60 frames per second experience on PC USB Oscilloscope.

On youtube, you can find a few videos mostly about firmware bugs. For (potential) owners I recommend videos from Maria King: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiUTPaBj1thzazwCKY7vzyg/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=0

Pros:
  • 100 MHz bandwidth with the possibility to hack it to 250 MHz  :clap:
  • solidly build device
  • built-in serial decoder for UART, I2C, CAN, LIN
  • four channels with individual dials for each channel
  • big and crisp LCD screen with a large usable area for displaying signals
  • brightly lit up buttons
  • 2 nS horizontal range
  • 500 uV vertical range
  • low price (roughly half the price of the competitive devices)

Cons:
  • mostly classic DSO functionality as it lacks more advanced features such as support for the digital phosphor, better math functions, filters and so on
  • small record length memory by today's standards
  • overall slower operation
  • still has some bugs
  • not a premium brand

Considering its low price and many built-in functions, the DSO4104B is as an almost perfect classic digital storage oscilloscope for enthusiasts and professionals on a low budget. Almost because Hantek still has some bugs to squash.
I find oscilloscope to be stable enough to be a good, albeit a bit slower device for my needs.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 02:03:13 pm by zoran »

Offline vinlove

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 12:00:00 am »
My DSO4254C arrived today, I haven't had time to play around with it much, but it looks promising... I'll post some pictures tomorrow, if anyone has a specific questions about a particular feature just let me know and I will check it/try to answer.

Cheers

Any update on the scope? Thanks.

The following users thanked this post: v.stefa

Offline vinlove

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2019, 08:49:19 am »
Anyone else owning / having been using the scope Hantek DSO4254B/C ?

I am interested in this scope, and would like to hear about it / read about reviews on it.

Offline rigol52

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2020, 11:45:31 pm »

Cons:

• small record length memory by today's standards

Probably you can overcome this by using USB external memory:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf