Author Topic: Hantek HDG2002B AWG: 5Mhz or 100MHz? Let's see!  (Read 241395 times)

Offline mb300sd

• Contributor
Re: Hantek HDG2002B AWG: 5Mhz or 100MHz? Let's see!
« Reply #425 on: January 24, 2015, 06:04:57 pm »
If anyone is interested in enabling their counter, I have 4 extra LMX5080 after over a month waiting for them to ship.

$5 each, shipped from USA.

Offline fremen67Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #426 on: January 26, 2015, 02:13:17 am »
@fremen67
If you have the firmware stuff so I can downgrade to 1.02 and give that a try I would appreciate it.
But also to upgrade it back to 1.03 after.

I am really hoping its a bug in the self test in 1.03. and this should prove it
Check your messages  ;)
I'm a machine! And I can know much more! I can experience so much more. But I'm trapped in this absurd body!

Offline smgvbest

• Supporter
    • Kilbourne Astronomics
« Reply #427 on: January 26, 2015, 07:19:37 am »
@fremen67
Thank you,   the downgrade your provided did work which was great.  It however did not fix the seflftest.   infact it made things not work on the HDG2002B.   I got some noise on both channels in the <50mV range but no wave forms plus the selftest was worse as seen in the pic below

So I upgraded back to V1.03 and everything is working again except the self test which failed like it did previous under V1.03
I've ask Hantek what the zoom units do but have gotten no answer so far  Basic Sin/Square waves work as they should upto 100Mhz at 2Vpp and 40Mhz for the Sq Wave.

Sandra
(Yes, I am a Woman :p )

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #428 on: January 26, 2015, 12:58:09 pm »
@fremen67
Thank you,   the downgrade your provided did work which was great.  It however did not fix the seflftest.   infact it made things not work on the HDG2002B.   I got some noise on both channels in the <50mV range but no wave forms plus the selftest was worse as seen in the pic below

So I upgraded back to V1.03 and everything is working again except the self test which failed like it did previous under V1.03
I've ask Hantek what the zoom units do but have gotten no answer so far  Basic Sin/Square waves work as they should upto 100Mhz at 2Vpp and 40Mhz for the Sq Wave.

OK, since you had no output, this is quite logical that the selftest failed. (BTW did you hear the relays?)
This could mean that new software versions could use old FPGA versions but not the other way ... :-//

I noticed that the hdg software tests the PCB version, at least for activating extra menus in the Utility menu. As you downgraded to sw 1.00.2, even with keeping FPGA 30, your PCB definition in system.inf was still 1004.1, which sw 1.00.2 should not be aware of. That would be interesting when you could downgrade again to sw 1.00.2 and then modify you PCB version from 1004.1 to 1004 in the system.inf file and reboot to check if the outputs are working. If it works then a partial calibration of the 2 channels with DC values only should allow the selftest to work.
You could also do this test with 1.00.3...

Should someone else be interested, I could try to setup a storage space somewhere and upload the upgrade package to 1.00.3 (only works from 1.00.2).
If others are interested in an upgrade file from 1.00.1 to 1.00.3 let me know. I could also try to make one but it's more tricky.
I'm a machine! And I can know much more! I can experience so much more. But I'm trapped in this absurd body!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #429 on: January 26, 2015, 01:15:08 pm »
@smgvbest: How does the waves look on your HDG? Up to what frequencies are the sine waves stable? Any jitter?

Offline smgvbest

• Supporter
    • Kilbourne Astronomics
« Reply #430 on: January 27, 2015, 01:52:26 am »
@smgvbest: How does the waves look on your HDG? Up to what frequencies are the sine waves stable? Any jitter?

When I turn persistence to infant and up the sample rate I'd say it's stable to about 40Mhz,  after that it starts getting jitter in amplitude for sure. the frequency reading on the scope does not have much itself that I can see
Sandra

Offline mb300sd

• Contributor
« Reply #431 on: January 31, 2015, 04:57:38 am »
I finally got the ethernet and counter ICs installed, but does anyone know what the values for these surrounding components are?

Also, can anything interested be enabled by populating these other components?

Offline tridentsx

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #432 on: February 01, 2015, 06:38:55 am »

I just soldered in the emac and crystal, and now when I put it back together it doesn't boot.
What do you use to adapt to the serial 2mm header ? I can't fit my USB to TTL onto the 2mm header, the spacing on my cable is 2.54 mm

Would you see the boot sequence console output from the serial port next to the usb jack ?

Need to see whats going on if anything at all :-BROKE

Offline alex.forencich

• Frequent Contributor
    • Alex Forencich
« Reply #433 on: February 01, 2015, 08:47:21 am »

I just soldered in the emac and crystal, and now when I put it back together it doesn't boot.
What do you use to adapt to the serial 2mm header ? I can't fit my USB to TTL onto the 2mm header, the spacing on my cable is 2.54 mm

Would you see the boot sequence console output from the serial port next to the usb jack ?

Need to see whats going on if anything at all :-BROKE

It does show the boot process.  I have a box of slim hook clip to female header pin wires that I use for that sort of thing.  Not a permanent solution, but it works great for oddball headers with strange pin locations and pitches. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 09:28:26 am by alex.forencich »
Python-based instrument control: Python IVI, Python VXI-11, Python USBTMC

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #434 on: February 01, 2015, 09:12:02 am »
I just used some M-F 0.1" jumper leads squeezed in, with the M ends plugging into my 3.3V FTDI adapter. (TTL-232R-3V3)

Offline tridentsx

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #435 on: February 01, 2015, 09:32:32 am »

Is the USB driver available somewhere for download ? Wanted to see if I can connect to the HDG using ttsource.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #436 on: February 01, 2015, 12:28:45 pm »

Is the USB driver available somewhere for download ? Wanted to see if I can connect to the HDG using ttsource.
They are on the mini CD that comes with the HDG.
You can also download the files from Hantek site:
http://www.hantek.com/Product/HDG2000/HDG2000B_Driver.zip
http://www.hantek.com/Product/HDG2000/HDG2000B_Software.zip
http://www.hantek.com/Product/HDG2000/HDG2000B_Manual.zip

Offline Bugdozer

« Reply #437 on: February 02, 2015, 04:08:21 pm »
I received a HDG2022B this past week and decided the to the hack.  Only problem is I'm getting garbage on the Kitty console.  I'm assuming this is a serial connection but what is the baud, data, parity on the Hantek?  Sorry if this was covered, I look around a lot but diden't find anything.  Thanks!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #438 on: February 02, 2015, 07:20:21 pm »
I received a HDG2022B this past week and decided the to the hack.  Only problem is I'm getting garbage on the Kitty console.  I'm assuming this is a serial connection but what is the baud, data, parity on the Hantek?  Sorry if this was covered, I look around a lot but diden't find anything.  Thanks!
115200 Bauds, 8 bits data, 1 stop bit, no parity should work.

Offline Bugdozer

« Reply #439 on: February 02, 2015, 08:17:49 pm »
Thanks, I'll give it a try this evening.

Offline tridentsx

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #440 on: February 02, 2015, 10:12:47 pm »

Does the board boot-up without the keypad and screen connected, or is the boot halted ?
Does the boot have any visual indications or audible indications except the main screen ?

When I power on I do get the rails with right voltages, but the screen doesn't turn on, only some of the keys on keypad light up.
I also don't see any output on the serial connections. The voltages looks fine. Will hookup my logic analyzer and see if
there is anything going on at all when I get back home.

Regards /// Carl :-BROKE

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #441 on: February 02, 2015, 10:29:15 pm »
Does the board boot-up without the keypad and screen connected, or is the boot halted ?
It boots on my dev board without screen nor keypad, neither FPGA connected

Does the boot have any visual indications or audible indications except the main screen ?
I don't think so. You should see the Hantek square barcode logo as soon as the kernel starts

I also don't see any output on the serial connections.
That's the first thing you should see ... Did you check your soldering close enough?  :-//

Offline Bugdozer

« Reply #442 on: February 03, 2015, 04:11:08 am »
115200 Bauds, 8 bits data, 1 stop bit, no parity should work.

Success.  The unit I have is running Ver 1.00.3, found the system.inf file residing in /config/root.  Thanks Again!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #443 on: February 04, 2015, 01:02:39 am »
Success.  The unit I have is running Ver 1.00.3, found the system.inf file residing in /config/root.  Thanks Again!
Fine! Could you post your complete Hardware/Software versions : sw 1.00.3(xxxxxx.x) and PCB 1xxxx ?
Also is the selftest working on your unit?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 01:04:12 am by fremen67 »

Offline Bugdozer

« Reply #444 on: February 04, 2015, 02:18:47 am »
Ver: 1.00.3 (141255.0)
PCB: 1004.1

Self Test: Ch1 zoom unit 1: Failed
                Ch2 zoom unit 1: Failed

The remaining self tests passed.

Offline smgvbest

• Supporter
    • Kilbourne Astronomics
« Reply #445 on: February 04, 2015, 02:26:10 am »
That's actually good to see.  My HDG2002B same Ver/PCB also failed the CH1/2 Zoo Unit 1 Failed
So this may be an issue with the 1.00.3 Software

Sandra

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #446 on: February 04, 2015, 09:00:06 pm »
If anyone is interested in enabling their counter, I have 4 extra LMX5080 after over a month waiting for them to ship.

$5 each, shipped from USA.

Many thanks, the chips arrived a couple of days ago, but I'd forgotten to order an appropriate RA BNC. That arrived this morning, and the HF counter now works!

The HF counter seems a lot more sensitive than the LF one.

In addition, the internal reference is a whopping 42ppm out.

The pic was taken with a common rubidium source shared between the RF signal generator and the Hantek. There is also a bit of uncertainty depending on when the gating happens in relation to the input frequency, more than I'd expect. The gate time also seems a lot longer than what's programmed in.

Edit: Regarding the RA BNC, the one I purchased had ground lugs too big for the PCB. I tried filing them down but the metal was very soft and the lugs snapped off, so I filed them down, tinned the ground pads and the connector and treated it as an SMD part, reflowing it with a hot air iron and copious kapton tape around the area to stop the other parts from running off.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 09:04:39 pm by Howardlong »

Offline andrija

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #447 on: February 04, 2015, 10:08:29 pm »
I had the same issue with the "recommended" BNC from Mouser (well of course, their pins are just too large) so I ordered pretty much every promising looking specimen from Ebay (spent hours researching). None of them is a good match. In the end I gave up - I already have a counter in my Rigol, never mind an actual HP dual counter with oven plus the 3GHz option.  I thought of hacking it like you did but gave up on that, too much risk of messing it up.

Offline alex.forencich

• Frequent Contributor
    • Alex Forencich
« Reply #448 on: February 04, 2015, 10:27:34 pm »
Yeah, that connector is really annoying.  They must have gotten a really good bulk deal or something.  Anyway, I am in the same boat - no connector for this thing, but I have a Tektronix counter and an EIP counter that goes up to 20 GHz, so it's not really that big of a deal. 
Python-based instrument control: Python IVI, Python VXI-11, Python USBTMC

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #449 on: February 04, 2015, 10:31:00 pm »
I had the same issue with the "recommended" BNC from Mouser (well of course, their pins are just too large) so I ordered pretty much every promising looking specimen from Ebay (spent hours researching). None of them is a good match. In the end I gave up - I already have a counter in my Rigol, never mind an actual HP dual counter with oven plus the 3GHz option.  I thought of hacking it like you did but gave up on that, too much risk of messing it up.

Oh, like you I don't actually _need_ another counter, in fact I have no idea what I'm going to use it for, but that doesn't stop me.

FWIW the part number I used was Tyco 5-1634513-1. The bayonet is at right angles to the others, and the dielectric is clear, so it doesn't look that pretty, but it was a job I really needed to do, my life depended on it, so I did it.  :P

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf