Author Topic: Hantek HDG2102B square wave not so square  (Read 3024 times)

Offline gnuarm

• Super Contributor
Re: Hantek HDG2102B square wave not so square
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2021, 01:24:00 am »
While the overall shape of the magenta waveform may look like the second waveform qualitatively, if you do a quantitative measurement you will get a different result.  The ripple in the high and low levels is in the ball park of the seventh harmonic, not the third.  However, this is not the waveform of adding the seventh and first harmonics.  So the output is most likely the result of a slew rate limitation rather than a bandwidth issue.  They are not the same thing.

To me the magenta waveform looks basically like fundamental + 3rd harmonic, but with a lower amplitude for the 3rd harmonic. The presence of other (even smaller) components can hardly be judged by eye, but FFT were necessary. I rather do not see obvious signs of non-linear distortion due to a slew-rate limit.

It's an oscilloscope display.  It's easy enough to measure the period and frequency.  My measurement came up with about 6.something ns, so 160 MHz, far from the 3rd harmonic.  Not so far from the 7th.  BTW, the fundamental measures 24 MHz in that image, not 33 MHz matching the 30 ns that has been discussed.
Rick C.  --  Puerto Rico is not a country... It's part of the USA
  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  - Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

Offline tkamiyaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2021, 01:43:29 am »
So....  if the magenta trace is 25MHz with 9nS rise time, it makes sense that 30MHz at 10nS will be rounder than that.

Confirmed.  Thanks everyone!

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2021, 01:49:28 am »
So....  if the magenta trace is 25MHz with 9nS rise time, it makes sense that 30MHz at 10nS will be rounder than that.
No not round as the rising edge of a square wave should always be straight even when it is slow.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline tkamiyaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2021, 06:09:42 am »
I think this is a language issue.  The magenta trace shows what I call a "rounding."  Even the straight part, there is a definite slope and slight inflection.  I got the answer I was looking for.  Thank you very much!

Online gf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2021, 06:11:38 am »
While the overall shape of the magenta waveform may look like the second waveform qualitatively, if you do a quantitative measurement you will get a different result.  The ripple in the high and low levels is in the ball park of the seventh harmonic, not the third.  However, this is not the waveform of adding the seventh and first harmonics.  So the output is most likely the result of a slew rate limitation rather than a bandwidth issue.  They are not the same thing.

To me the magenta waveform looks basically like fundamental + 3rd harmonic, but with a lower amplitude for the 3rd harmonic. The presence of other (even smaller) components can hardly be judged by eye, but FFT were necessary. I rather do not see obvious signs of non-linear distortion due to a slew-rate limit.

It's an oscilloscope display.  It's easy enough to measure the period and frequency.  My measurement came up with about 6.something ns, so 160 MHz, far from the 3rd harmonic.  Not so far from the 7th.  BTW, the fundamental measures 24 MHz in that image, not 33 MHz matching the 30 ns that has been discussed.

Attached is a plot of

t = (0:1:99)/100;
x = sin(2*pi*t) + 1/6 * sin(2*pi*3*t);
plot(t,x);

I.e. fundamental + 3rd harmonic (no 5th or 7th).
Relative peak and valley positions on the timeline basically correspond to the magenta trace.

EDIT: And for comparison, the 2nd plot (plot-1+7.png) shows how fundamental + 7th harmonic looks like (-> sin(2*pi*t) + 1/6 * sin(2*pi*7*t))
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 04:35:43 pm by gf »

Online gf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2021, 06:24:25 am »

Basically yes. At least at/near the limit you rather need to compare frequencies in ratio to the sampling rate. I.e. you rather need to compare the 24 MHz @300MSa/s from the SDG to 20 MHz (not 30) @250MSa/s from the HDG.

The SDG has a clear advantage, though, in this regard. It has the higher sampling rate.
And besides that, its 4x interpolation/oversampling capability certainly relaxes the requirements for the analog reconstruction filter.
(Don't know if the oversampling is used for anything else - the docs don't seem to reveal that.)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf