Author Topic: HP 8753B REV:3.00 Firmware Upgrade Notes  (Read 2647 times)

Offline rastroTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
HP 8753B REV:3.00 Firmware Upgrade Notes
« on: June 18, 2015, 12:13:03 am »
HP 8753B REV:3.00 Firmware Upgrade Notes

I just upgrade the firmware on my HP 8753B to Rev.3.00 from Rev.2.01.  I'd decided to post some notes that may be helpful to others attempting this procedure. 

Finding A Good Copy Of Rev.3.00 Firmware:
=========================================
1. Please be aware that there is an incomplete copy of Rev.3.00 firmware on the web which is missing several bytes at the end of U4 and U24  BIN files.
2. I found a complete/good copy here:
http://www.ko4bb.com/manuals/download.php?file=01_ROM_Images_and_Drivers/HP_8753B_Firmware_Ver3.00.zip

Finding Alternate Memory Devices:
=================================
I decided to burn the firmware on fresh set of memory devices.  It is difficult/expensive to find the EPROMs that are mentioned in the manual or where actually on the A9 CPU board as I received the unit.
1. 27010 Intel: What is shown in the manual schematic/Bill-Of-Material.
2. TC5710000-20 Toshiba: What was actually on the A9 PCB (U4, U5, U24, and U25).
3. SST39SF010A: This is an alternative substitute flash memory with same pin-out for Address/Data/ChipSel.  Does not use PPV.
4. The SST39SF010A is readily available at mouser ~$1.50.

Process:
=================================
1. Down loaded, unzipped the above file.  Used hex-dump to verify all bin files complete.
2. Used Minipro TL866 to write for "SST39SF010A" devices.
3. The Minipro TL866 vendors application runs only on windows.  I found an alternative application (thanks eevblog) that runs on Mac/Linux from a terminal window.  I used mac ports to install the minipro line command program to avoid using Windows/virtual-box on my mac-mini. 
4. There is a text note in the zip file showing which bin file goes to which location.

The SST39SF010A memory seems to function without a problem.  The system booted up and displayed Version 3.00 software was installed.

Offline mates

Re: HP 8753B REV:3.00 Firmware Upgrade Notes
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 02:23:40 pm »
Hi, I recently bought HP 8753B with firmware 3.0. I d like to upgrade to hopefully 4.13 version if possible however I am struggling to find this firmware. Can you advise some pages where they are available?
Also, I have some additional issues with calibration. When simple 1port calibration is done the open is always phase-shifted at higher freq. while load and short is not.
When trying other calibration is even worse like response and also I will be glad if some can explain what means FWD TRANS THRU and FWD MATCH THRU in ONE PATH 2-port cal.
Thanks

Offline rastroTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 05:10:03 pm »
Hi, I recently bought HP 8753B with firmware 3.0. I d like to upgrade to hopefully 4.13 version if possible however I am struggling to find this firmware.

Have you tried here?
http://www.ko4bb.com/getsimple/index.php?id=manuals&dir=01_ROM_Images_and_Drivers/HP_8753

You probably want to make sure the system is working before upgrading. 

Regarding your calibration issues, please start a new thread for those specific issues. 
Also include your setup like what S-parameter test set you are using and what connectors/calibration standards are being used.  What procedure are you following?  What constants are you loading/modifying.  what frequency range works?  What frequency range is bad.  How much phase shift?  Pictures of results???  Did you run any of the system checkout procedures in the user/service manuals - how did they go???

With an ideal 50-ohm load and valid calibration you should see low S11 (reflection) return levels and minimal artifacts.  Open/Short by their design will have 'unmatched' responses. 

Offline mates

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 09:44:43 pm »
Of course, I tried your link that's the reason I am asking here if you or someone else knows a source for a higher firmware version cause ko4bb has only 3.0 I guess.
 Anyway thanks for your response and advice I will make a new thread for my issue.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf