Author Topic: Hantek MSO5074FG  (Read 21540 times)

Offline benjamin545

• Contributor
Re: Hantek MSO5074FG
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2015, 04:16:58 am »
i just received one of these yesterday for $489 from china. its the first real scope i have ever had or used. (i have one of those build it yourself jyetech dso-062 scopes but its nothing comparable really.). so far i like it and think that it was a good bu for what all you get with it.

when i decided to buy it I couldn't hardly find any reliable information about it other than its manufacturer specs and the fact that its mostly based on hanteks other DSO line. so the analog channels are probably the same as they are on the other models. i dont have much of a way to test its 70mgz bandwidth other than the awg built into the thing.

something i couldn't find any information on was the logic analyzer and awg that are built into the scope. the manufacturer supplied information seems pretty accurate, except of course it mentions a input range and voltage threshold both of 0-3v for each logic channel. thats pretty meaningless and stupid. i cannot say what the max input voltage is but ive put a little over 6 volts across the logic channels and they were fine. and it looks like they trigger off of exactly 1.5 volts. it is true that there is no decodes for the analog or logic channels. there is also strange that they seem to have channel 0 separated from channel 1-7 for the logic analyzer. its an 8 channel logic analyzer but channel 0 is in a different color and there is a row of dots across the top of the screen when the logic analyzer is active and channel 0 is all on its own side there. its unnecessary and doesn't make much sense. the biggest issue with the logic analyzer is the fact that your probes, while standard and expected probe clips, are on 11 inch pieces of wire that all go back to a 26 pin ide header. when you see pictures of the hantek mso5074fg on the internet you see it as that mess of wires included in the kit. heres the big problem with it. the gray wires are the channels (8 of them) there are 5 black wire that are ground, and the other 13 (the entire bottom row of the ide header) are blue, and they are all not connected or whatever. so for the logic header, you have way too short of a wire from the scope to your device, (11 inches) and you have a huge mess of unused wires. this seems like it would be an easy thing to make a replacement for, im thinking an ide header connector with two 6 conductor wires that go to two individual little blocks that break out the channels into two sets of 4 probes, each set with 1 or 2 ground probes. this way you might be able to add some option to the breakout blocks, like voltage dividers or input protection, i don't know what would all be possible, but something definitely better than what they provide.

as for the AWG. ive done some testing with it and again, i haven't used any other AWG other than a little elenco build it yourself 1mhz generator that while functional, is not nearly the same thing. the only lock ups ive had with this scope so far have had to do with the AWG, and its been while i was making changes to the signal parameters. i cannot speak for arbitrary waveforms or loading something from a computer and playing it. i haven't done any of that, i also haven't dealt with its AM/FM mode and don't know much about what it does, but its basic features, sine, square, ramp, trap, and exponential, i can talk a little bit about. it has a 25mgz frequency cap on everything. and thats not so bad i think. at lower frequencies, (1 meg and less) i was reading pretty good signals, the square had a little distortion i guess on the corners but i think that may be entirely because i was not properly sending the signal to the scope, (just stuck the 10x probe into the 50 ohm signal generator jack.) and the supplied probes with the scope, (model PP-90, says its an 80mhz rated robe) seem to be pretty poor quality. i have a couple of the cheapy ebay $8  black 100mhz no name probes i bought for the jyetech scope i have and they seem to be a lot better at making the square wave shape at higher frequencies. now i understand that for square waves, being able to clearly read harmonics with very  low Db loss is important, and thats why i think that at 10mhz and above i really lost a lot of the square wave shape, because i start hitting the point where the supplied probes and the scopes 70mhz bandwidth limit wont show very many harmonics when looking at a 25mhz or even a 15mhz square wave. but otherwise of not for the AWG is it has a 3.5 volt max peak output, in the settings they will allow you to set the amplitude of your waves to have a 3.5v peak, and they will allow you to set an offset of 3.5v, but together you cannot go over 3.5v or you will clip, and it WILL allow you to make settings that can clip.

other than that though, the build quality of the scope seems pretty good, i had a front bevel sticker that was a little off and had to cut a sliver off with an exacto knife, and also, like previous models from hantek, some of the trimming around the buttons and the bnc's are a little rough. nothing seemed off center except the sd card slot seems a little too high up behind the cut out.
the knobs and buttons all feel a decent, nowhere does it feel like easily breakable plastic other than the pop out feet on the bottom. this model, unlike some of the earlier 2 channel models, has a small fan, and its noticeable, in fact i know that it makes a very high pitch but very quiet nose from the fan. the fan is probably a good candidate for replacement with a better one. it does push some air however and it is noticeably warm air, so its pretty safe to say it was a necessary addition.

ill say again i have no real experience with oscilloscopes so i don't have any more information right now as to how good it is at being a scope. it seems reasonable enough to me right now though, and if anyone wants to know anything else id be glad to share.

Offline Lauris

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2015, 01:39:50 pm »
Hello.

So finally I decided to get this scope also, and just today received it. Well I'm not one of the most experienced users, but so far all seems almost ok apart 3 things:
1. it is crashing more than you would like it to happen, tho not as often that for me it would become irritating.
2. LA sometimes stops working it seems, basically I can see analog part looks like working, but in LA screen no lines appear - restart fixes the issue until next time.
3rd. and most critical in my case. that is either I don't know how to use, but for me it looks like with LA enabled all info saved is one you get on screen and you can't zoom in/out or scroll it. Anyone have same issues?

Model: MSO5074FG
Soft version: 3.2.35(141110.0)
Hard version: 10020x540282051002

Offline benjamin545

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2015, 03:34:29 am »
i did some testing with the LA looking for the same issues you were having with it and i found them as well. they have a sample memory issue. i didn't really have any issue in normal running mode, i could move up and down the waveform and all the logic channels were fine. its when i went into single acquisition mode that i had issues. your right, it only could read about what was in the screen at acquisition. trying to scroll before or after that caused it to have problems like not showing anything and eventually reset. these along with the AWG issues make some sense, since these are kinda the most recent things to be tacked onto the platform they have been working on for a few years. its kinda sad that they didn't catch this, but whatever. the big thing when you find these bugs is to report them so they can reproduce them and fix them., so, how we do that?

Offline Lauris

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2015, 08:50:45 am »
Well tried to write to Hantek support, will see how and when they will respond if they will do that.

also spotted other bit annoying issue - basically every time menu is opened or closed (looks like jumping between menus doesn't have same effect) waveform is being cleared from screen.

Some news:
"Scope-LA" started to work. I mean part when I was unable to review analog and LA signal (move it and zoom in/out). This case happened with no reason after I connected scope to PC. After disconnecting review was still OK, same as after scope reboot.
Mystical, scope is fixing itself, or I'm starting to know how to use it.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 12:57:08 pm by Lauris »

Offline benjamin545

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2015, 03:13:01 pm »
I haven't tried using it connected to pc yet. Someday I'll give it try. For now. Have you tried the awg yet.? Can you see of you get the crashing bugs when setting stuff in there.

Offline Lauris

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2015, 07:55:10 am »
Well with awg I just checked very basics - working or not, that is set up for 2 or 20 MHz sine wave. With that setting awg was working- well checked with same scope. Haven't done any more serious tests.

also noticed that triggering is basically not working on short signals over longer time. I failed to get any trigger events with signal which appears for like 100ms every few seconds. Tried triggering on analog channel and LA.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf