Author Topic: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free  (Read 2200933 times)

Offline tinheadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
Re: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free
« Reply #1500 on: January 12, 2013, 02:15:09 am »
A Rigol?  8)

... never look a gift horse in the mouth
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1501 on: January 12, 2013, 03:44:57 am »
1500 replies and (nearly) 250000 views ... Dave, where is my DMM ?  :-//

Perhaps there should be a prize for threads that crack numbers like that.
Email me your snail mail address!

Dave.

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #1502 on: January 12, 2013, 03:56:36 am »

Damn you tinhead! I can never catch up!!  :scared:

Offline LEECH666

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1503 on: January 12, 2013, 09:27:28 am »
So this thread is now essentially the "Gangnam Style" of the eevblog forum. :)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1504 on: January 12, 2013, 12:55:52 pm »
Perhaps there should be a prize for threads that crack numbers like that.

Email me your snail mail address!

Dave.

i will!

never say never, but when you wish to compete add the 2200 replies on mikrocontroller.net forum as well :P
Sure, third of all the replies are coming from me, but still, i was really surprised how many poeple discussed these DSOs.

Any i only scratched the surface of all the hacks flowing through my (tin)head  :phew:

I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #1505 on: January 12, 2013, 12:57:37 pm »
This special thread should be stickied don't you think ? C'mon mods ...

Offline Polossatik

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1506 on: January 12, 2013, 12:59:01 pm »

while views and posts are nice, maybe an idea it have some kind of "best of" posts competition every 6 months or so?
Dave chooses 3 or 4 posts based on popularity/his mood/technical merit/stats and then opens little thread where members can vote for the "best of" for a week or 2?

Sure, third of all the replies are coming from me, but still, i was really surprised how many poeple discussed these DSOs.

really? :) you had no idea? (and all other threads about this?)  8)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 01:03:44 pm by Polossatik »
Real Circuit design time in minutes= (2 + Nscopes) Testim + (40 +120 Kbrewski) Nfriends

Testim = estimated time in minutes Nscopes= number of oscilloscopes present Kbrewski = linear approx of the nonlinear beer effect Nfriends = number of circuit design friends present

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1507 on: January 12, 2013, 02:45:54 pm »

really? :) you had no idea? (and all other threads about this?)  8)

as i started this thread, the Rigol thread was only 200 replies or so (Oct 2010), so i thought it will be another one "ohh cool"-thread for few months, but 2yrs are gone and still ongoing discussion (in both threads).

Offline Polossatik

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1508 on: January 12, 2013, 05:18:41 pm »
DSO attracts DSO i guess :)
Real Circuit design time in minutes= (2 + Nscopes) Testim + (40 +120 Kbrewski) Nfriends

Testim = estimated time in minutes Nscopes= number of oscilloscopes present Kbrewski = linear approx of the nonlinear beer effect Nfriends = number of circuit design friends present

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1509 on: January 15, 2013, 10:36:05 pm »
There is new firmware available for Hantek DSO5xxxB/Tekway DST1000B/Voltcraft DSO3062/1062/PCE DSOs,

http://www.hantek.com.cn/english/down_list.asp?unid=30

i've already played with this version and updated the bug list:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/hantek-tekway-dso-hack-get-200mhz-bw-for-free/?action=dlattach;attach=37192

You might wonder, but yes, the bug list is now longer. I've collected some informations from other user and tested it here
as well to validate if they found real bug or an gremlin :) , example CSV bug

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/hantek-tekway-dso-hack-get-200mhz-bw-for-free/msg175108/#msg175108

is a real one (and i even found in the dso.exe what's wring and how to fix it).

EDIT: i forgot to mention, there are few new measurments:

FOVShoot
RPREShoot
BWidth
FRF
FFR
LRR
LRF
LFR
LFF

but don't ask me what they doing, i haven't found any info in the (updated) help file, maybe i'm simply blind.
I assume this are First (waveform?) Rising Falling etc? Check it and let me knwo what you think  :scared:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 02:47:00 am by tinhead »

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1510 on: January 15, 2013, 11:11:07 pm »
EDIT: i forgot to mention, there are few new measurments:

FOVShoot
RPREShoot
BWidth
FRF
FFR
LRR
LRF
LFR
LFF

but don't ask me what they doing, i haven't found any info in the (updated) help file, maybe i'm simply blind.
I assume this are First (waveform?) Rising Falling etc? Check it and let me knwo what you think  :scared:
FOVShoot: Fall overshoot voltage

RPREShoot: Rise preshoot voltage

BWidth: ?

FRF: Time between ch1 first rising edge and ch2 first falling edge

FFR: Time between ch1 first falling edge and ch2 first rising edge

LRR: Time between ch1 first rising edge and ch2 last rising edge

LRF: Time between ch1 first rising edge and ch2 last falling edge

LFR: Time between ch1 first falling edge and ch2 last rising edge

LFF:  Time between ch1 first falling edge and ch2 last falling edge
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1511 on: January 15, 2013, 11:49:38 pm »
FOVShoot: Fall overshoot voltage

RPREShoot: Rise preshoot voltage

oh yeah, make sense. Then there is a need to rename the already existing "Overshoot" into "ROVShoot"
and "Preshoot" to "FPREShoot".

Offline bilko

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1512 on: January 16, 2013, 01:00:06 am »
There is new firmware available for Hantek DSO5xxxB/Tekway DST1000B/Voltcraft DSO3062/1062/PCE DSOs,

Does this firmware run on the original Tekway 1202B Hardware ?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1513 on: January 16, 2013, 08:06:26 am »

Does this firmware run on the original Tekway 1202B Hardware ?

yes it does, there might be sometimes common difference :
 - logo files (and even with wrong one, the DSO will still work)
 - help files (Hantek have portuguese langs - Tekway not, Tekwy GPL download link - Hantek not)
 - sometimes other verndor specific file (and then i will tell "do not use on ...")

In the current firmware the only difference is the help file, nothing else. But when you don't trust, attached original
Tekway update files (for 1202B) - see attached ( i had to split it due forum restrictions)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 08:08:43 am by tinhead »

Offline bilko

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1514 on: January 16, 2013, 10:49:40 am »
Thanks ever so much for the 1202B files. I extracted the zip and found .exe file. I run Linux. I expected to see a .up file. Will the exe extract on Windows ?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1515 on: January 18, 2013, 01:56:08 am »
Thanks ever so much for the 1202B files. I extracted the zip and found .exe file. I run Linux. I expected to see a .up file. Will the exe extract on Windows ?

ehm yes, it will. The exe is however SFX archive, you can unrar is as well without executing it.

Offline nadona

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1516 on: January 19, 2013, 01:50:53 pm »
I have an updated DSO5062B
My system crashed while I was on the FFT screen and moving the cursor. I rebooted it a few times but it always goes back to display the crashed screen after booting up. No button or knob responds.  :-BROKE
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 05:11:20 pm by nadona »
Ha-ha-ha. That's good, too!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1517 on: January 19, 2013, 11:10:59 pm »
I have an updated DSO5062B
My system crashed while I was on the FFT screen and moving the cursor. I rebooted it a few times but it always goes back to display the crashed screen after booting up. No button or knob responds.  :-BROKE

hmm, hard to believe. There is watchdog running, when the dso.exe is not responding the watchdog will reboot your DSO. When there is no respond to buttons/knobs, the dso.exe is definitely not running. So why is watchdog not rebooting your DSO?

However, i've setup my DSO to exact the same you have, played for 30mins within FFT and nothing, it works no matter what i do.

So i would say you have something else broken. Probably one of the plug not contacting or what so ever. If you don't want to check by yourself, ask the deal where you bought it.

Offline nadona

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1518 on: January 20, 2013, 02:03:25 am »
Thank you for your time and effort in trying to assist me with this problem.
The dealer I bought it from is in a different state and it would take too much hassle to try to send it back and wait for a working one to come back. I'd like to resolve my problem here at home.

I'm guessing maybe the configuration from the last operating mode is saved somewhere on a file so when it reboots, it redirects to that code. What I am curious about is what the exact bootup sequence is up to the initialization file so I can reset it to the factory default configuration. What is the name of the initialization file, the factory default configuration file, and the directory?

In addition, the scope displayed the factory default screen for a few months whilst rebooting. Sometime recently however, it has been going back to the last used configuration.

Thanks again!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1519 on: January 20, 2013, 02:27:04 am »
I'm guessing maybe the configuration from the last operating mode is saved somewhere on a file so when it reboots, it redirects to that code. What I am curious about is what the exact bootup sequence is up to the initialization file so I can reset it to the factory default configuration. What is the name of the initialization file, the factory default configuration file, and the directory?

well yes, there is config file. But actually this is what Hantek implemented on my request, a watchdog deleting
config file if something wrong, if dso.exe killed, if crashed etc.  Additionally the watchdog have to reboot the DSO.
So far the watchdog always worked for me, i've used bad config file etc to force to crash, but as i said, it was always doing the job.

So it can be that:
- something physicaly is broken (e.g. memory)
- something physicaly is not connecitg (like the 2 power rail plugs on left and right side of the mainboard)
- NAND is having bad sectors and the driver didn'T recognized it properly and not moved data somewhere (i had this
  already once, i bought cheap NAND chips and most of them was fucked up. My DSO was not able to handle few of them.
  Now i have a half tray with new chips, they working always)
- filesystem is having error generally, should be never this case but who knows.

Now what you an do is to open the enclosure and first try to un/replug the two power rail plugs on the left and right side of PCB.
If this will not fix your DSO then you will have to use different way, to connect the internal UART port via UART<->USB adapter to your PC, set PC Terminal app to 115200, 8n1, boot DSO and atch the messages. If you can see them while rebooting DSO, then at least hardware is maybe ok. Then try to get into the shell by using space, then ctrl+c and enter.
If you can oepn the shell, then go to folder /param/sav/ and delete the file run1kb**** or simply

rm /param/sav/r*

After that you can try to reboot DSO, it should then boot with default config. If not, well then you will have to send it back to the dealer.

In addition, the scope displayed the factory default screen for a few months whilst rebooting. Sometime recently however, it has been going back to the last used configuration.

oh well, this is already an indication for something wrong there.

Did you ever made backup of your DSO? If not (and if 'we' manage to let is boot properly) then i would like to
get backup of your DSO, simply to double check if there is something in the file system killing your device.

How to backup -> https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/hantek-tekway-dso-hack-get-200mhz-bw-for-free/msg35683/#msg35683

« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 02:28:38 am by tinhead »

Offline nadona

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1520 on: January 20, 2013, 05:21:48 am »
Thank you very much tinhead.
After file "run1kb_100302" was deleted, it's working.

Offline morris6

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1521 on: January 20, 2013, 09:31:26 pm »
OK guys,

Let this be a warning to all of you upgraders. Be very carefull when fitting the MSO add-on card to the mainboard.

My glasses are not strong enough, it was off by one row when I did a first test after loading the new software.

A flash, some smoke and the S3C2440 SOC is looking very dead now with its newly formed bubble.  :palm:

Maurits

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1522 on: January 20, 2013, 09:48:51 pm »
OK guys,

Let this be a warning to all of you upgraders. Be very carefull when fitting the MSO add-on card to the mainboard.

My glasses are not strong enough, it was off by one row when I did a first test after loading the new software.

A flash, some smoke and the S3C2440 SOC is looking very dead now with its newly formed bubble.  :palm:

Maurits

oh fuck, this is of course bad thing.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1523 on: January 20, 2013, 11:16:53 pm »
Thank you very much tinhead.
After file "run1kb_100302" was deleted, it's working.

good, still wondering why it's like that. Btw, did you saw my message?

Did you ever made backup of your DSO? If not (and if 'we' manage to let is boot properly) then i would like to
get backup of your DSO
, simply to double check if there is something in the file system killing your device.

How to backup -> https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/hantek-tekway-dso-hack-get-200mhz-bw-for-free/msg35683/#msg35683

Offline snowl

• Contributor
« Reply #1524 on: January 22, 2013, 01:53:22 pm »
Hi,
are those Hantek firmware updates cumulative or do I have to apply them in sequence? And if they are sequential, where do I get older ones?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf