Author Topic: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free  (Read 2190001 times)

Offline tinheadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
Re: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free
« Reply #1650 on: March 23, 2013, 07:53:32 pm »
Some ppl got during the firmware update an unexpected errof

"Error 0xfb "failed to decompress file"

On the shell you can see then "tar: Write Error: No space left on device"

As the firmware is getting bigger and bigger (the org was something about 1MB, now more than 4MB + more libs, etc)
it make sense to delete some unused files.

However, first of all please check content of the /mnt directory, sometimes - when the DSO didn't recgnize properly
that flash drive has been removed - it writes to NAND instead to flash drive. So whatever you find there, delete it.

The there are some other files which can be removed:

/sbin/madplay
/sbin/led
/sbin/led-player
/sbin/boa
/usr/bin/spcacat
/usr/bin/servfox
/usr/bin/adc_test
/usr/bin/buttons

It should be now already enough space, finally you can remove (or move temp. to flash drive)
these two DSO custom files:

/dso/app/testacq
/dso/app/getdata

Now you should have 50-66% on NAND used, the firmware update must work now.
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline Mike Warren

• Supporter
    • Personal Website
« Reply #1651 on: March 26, 2013, 01:08:35 am »
Another pass/fail crash/reboot with 2.06.3(130306.0)

1/ Create a mask.
2. Try to save the mask.

The moment the P/F Mask Storage menu is shown, the program crashes.

Offline Mike Warren

• Supporter
    • Personal Website
« Reply #1652 on: March 26, 2013, 01:15:37 am »
Is the filter supposed to do anything? The manual doesn't mention it, so I assume it is a digital filter on the display. I set it to LPF and 5kHz, but there is no change to the displayed waveform of a 10kHz square wave I'm feeding into it.

Offline RobB

• Contributor
« Reply #1653 on: March 31, 2013, 04:40:18 pm »
I was poking around looking for nothing in particular and came across http://www.goodluckbuy.com/hantek-lan-pcb-module-board-ht312-for-oscilliscopoe-.html
Does anyone know anything about this module? and is it compatible with the CROs under discussion in this thread

Cheers
Rob

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1654 on: March 31, 2013, 04:52:48 pm »
I was poking around looking for nothing in particular and came across http://www.goodluckbuy.com/hantek-lan-pcb-module-board-ht312-for-oscilliscopoe-.html
Does anyone know anything about this module? and is it compatible with the CROs under discussion in this thread

Cheers
Robik

No, it is for this one http://www.hantek.com/english/produce_list.asp?unid=146
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline Johndowacc

• Contributor
« Reply #1655 on: April 02, 2013, 02:47:31 pm »
Hi guys,

I need to buy an oscilloscope and the models I am considering are Hantek DSO5102B and Hantek DSO5202B. I am sorry if my question is stupid but I didn't understand if these two are identical( I mean the hardware) ? I am sure that somewhere in these 100+ pages is mentioned but I really don't have the time to read them right now ( I have to study for my exams) and I need to get an oscilloscope quickly so please could someone tell me if it is worth giving 100 pounds more to get the 200mhz scope or the 100mhz version would be the same after hacking ? I know that is very annoying when someone asks something which is already written somewhere but I am really short of time and I have to buy a scope as soon as possible.

Thank you!

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #1656 on: April 02, 2013, 03:03:19 pm »
Hi guys,

I need to buy an oscilloscope and the models I am considering are Hantek DSO5102B and Hantek DSO5202B. I am sorry if my question is stupid but I didn't understand if these two are identical( I mean the hardware) ? I am sure that somewhere in these 100+ pages is mentioned but I really don't have the time to read them right now ( I have to study for my exams) and I need to get an oscilloscope quickly so please could someone tell me if it is worth giving 100 pounds more to get the 200mhz scope or the 100mhz version would be the same after hacking ? I know that is very annoying when someone asks something which is already written somewhere but I am really short of time and I have to buy a scope as soon as possible.

Thank you!

Yes - identical hardware - the same bandwidth after hacking. And the DSO5062B can also be hacked to a higher bandwidth.

Offline Johndowacc

• Contributor
« Reply #1657 on: April 02, 2013, 03:12:54 pm »
Thank you very much for your quick reply! I guess I will save 100 pounds :) By the way is there any advantage of buying the 200mhz version apart of keeping your warranty (which anyway I guess is useless since I am buying the scope from China) ?

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #1658 on: April 02, 2013, 03:21:22 pm »
Thank you very much for your quick reply! I guess I will save 100 pounds :) By the way is there any advantage of buying the 200mhz version apart of keeping your warranty (which anyway I guess is useless since I am buying the scope from China) ?
I don't think so - but I'm no expert about it. Tinhead (the OP) or one of the other current owners would be better suited to answer that question. And as far as voiding the warranty - try not to. There are videos (like this one from fellow member Mike of mikeselectricstuff) that suggest how to deal with warranty stickers:

Offline RFasic

• Contributor
« Reply #1659 on: April 03, 2013, 12:48:45 am »

Cheers
Rob

Just try this one : http://www.ebay.com/itm/HANTEK-LAN-PCB-HT312-For-Hantek-Oscilloscope-Scopemeter-/121088280120?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Offline Mike Warren

• Supporter
    • Personal Website
« Reply #1660 on: April 03, 2013, 12:57:46 am »

The 60MHz and 100MHz models come with 150MHz probes. I expect the 200MHz models will come with 200MHz probes.

Apart from that, changing the bandwidth is as easy as plugging in the USB cable and running the DSO-BW-Changer program posted in this thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/hantek-tekway-dso-hack-get-200mhz-bw-for-free/msg91877/#msg91877

There is no need to disassemble the DSO, and it can be simply changed back at any time.

But you may want to add a 50mm fan as the power supply runs quite hot. I just soldered a resistor in series with a 12V 50mm fan to slow it down a bit and plugged in into the header on the PSU PCB.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 01:00:57 am by Mike Warren »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1661 on: April 03, 2013, 05:27:42 am »

Cheers
Rob

Just try this one : http://www.ebay.com/itm/HANTEK-LAN-PCB-HT312-For-Hantek-Oscilloscope-Scopemeter-/121088280120?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

the ebay seller speaks about "HANTEK LAN PCB (HT312) For Hantek Oscilloscope Scopemeter" and then he listing
following models - DSO1060, DSO1200, DSO8060 and DSO1202B but beieve me, it is not compatible with the DSO1202B!

DSO1060, DSO1200, DSO8060 handhelds belongs to completely different family (mainboard, firmware, OS) ans the
DSO1062B/BV/S, DSO1102B/BV/S and DSO1202B/BV/S models

All these ebay sellers are simply to STUPID, there is "B" letter in model names, and even numbers are not the same.
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1662 on: April 03, 2013, 05:35:35 am »
Thank you very much for your quick reply! I guess I will save 100 pounds :)

pounds? UK? When you from EU, consider buying Voltcraft DSO-1062D, this is exact the same hardware but it does costs
even less than Hantek DSO5062B on chinese ebay shops (329EUR+10EUR EU ship. vs. 354EUR ebay). Don't forget the customs
as well!, all these ebay items, you might need to pay tax as well.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1663 on: April 03, 2013, 07:04:52 am »

The 60MHz and 100MHz models come with 150MHz probes. I expect the 200MHz models will come with 200MHz probes.

Apart from that ...

all current 60 and 100MHz models are using not that great (for hacking over 100MHz bw) combination of resistors in input stage.
When hacked to 200MHz, there is up to +5dB overshoot at 150MHz (depends on probe type and termination kind)

I've made tons of measurments on current models (and where to modify):

http://www.mikrocontroller.net/attachment/173049/mod_input_circuit.pdf

of my old Tekway DST1202B
http://www.mikrocontroller.net/topic/249628?page=8#3092292

of how bad the frequency response is on current60/100MHz DSO hacked to 200MHz
http://www.mikrocontroller.net/topic/249628?page=8#3098757

and how it can be improved to near perfect (don't forget, this is flat-response DSO, this overshoot need to be there)
http://www.mikrocontroller.net/topic/249628?page=8#3093970

Short said, by replacing the 4x22R resistor arrays in inputt stage the frequency response is already better (or on what it was on original 200MHZ DSO).

This can be however even more improved :
RX1_1 = RX1_2 = RX1_3 = RX1_4 = change all to 270R 0.1% (digikey 4 x P270DBCT-ND)
RX2_1 = RX2_2 = RX2_3 = RX2_4 = change all to 270R 0.1% (digikey 4 x P270DBCT-ND)
RA01_1 = RA01_2 = change all to 4 x 33R 1% (digikey 2 x CRA6E833.0ACT-ND)
RA02_1 = RA02_2 = change all to 4 x 33R 1% (digikey 2 x CRA6E833.0ACT-ND)
R01_25, R02_25 = change to 49R9 0.1% (digikey 2 x P49.9DBCT-ND)
R01_27, R02_27 = change to 120R 0.1% (digikey 2 x A103149CT-ND)
R01_29, R02_29 = change to 1R (what so ever 1206 resistors)

As the original probes are anyway not so good (oh well, they good up to 100MHz, for sure) it might change them to different models as well,
in my measurments you can see the original probe results (PP-150), some better chinese probes from Texas (TX250 -simply ebay "texas probes")
and more expensive 500MHz passive probes from Testec (HF-512).

Offline RFasic

• Contributor
« Reply #1664 on: April 03, 2013, 10:13:32 am »
Thank a lot, Tinhead, to feed so well "THE" topic of this blog.

I read almost all the posts from the beginning ( the most carefully I could), but I might have missed some important things ...
Ie: did you try, one day, to implement a trigger output signal through an un used differential pair of pins of the Cyclone III (if you got access to the VHDL code of course ...).

Regards

"Hantek oscilloscopes for the dummies" addict.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1665 on: April 03, 2013, 10:33:59 am »
Ie: did you try, one day, to implement a trigger output signal through an un used differential pair of pins of the Cyclone III (if you got access to the VHDL code of course ...).

i've patched once the firmware to toggle i/o pin on trigger events, i've used as well the firmware internal wfms counter
(not anymore implemented) to toggle i/o pin.

Unfortunately i never got the VHDL code, but even if, there would be still necessary to use some "free" and routed somewhere
pins. One option could be Test point 703 (but there is already unused 25MHz clock out) and Test opint 702, however they not
possible to use as diff pair. All other FPGA connected Test points are in use already.

There was (and maybe still is, never checked) another option - in hw1005 FPGA pins L1, L2, K1 and K2 has been used as trigger in/out (actually i saw only once this section partialy populated, but never implemented anything into fw, which of course didn't means anything about the status of implementation in FPGA).

These two diff pair are on hw1007 not connected to anything, you need to resolder FPGA to make them accesible, and even then
to warranty that the current FPGA design is sending anything there (oh well, L1 and K1 are accessible even with soldered FPGA,
so it could make sense to measure what's on these pins).

« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 10:36:13 am by tinhead »

Offline Johndowacc

• Contributor
« Reply #1666 on: April 03, 2013, 11:03:50 am »
--
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 02:54:49 pm by Johndowacc »

Offline brainwash

• Frequent Contributor
    • Hack Correlation
« Reply #1667 on: April 03, 2013, 11:50:13 am »
Like tinhead said, don't forget to add customs (15-30%?) and VAT (20%). Warranty will be hard to follow since sending the item to China takes 3-4 weeks, one or two weeks in diagnosis plus another 3-4 weeks back. I would say it's not worth it, you actually pay more in the long run.
If you are lucky you might be exempted from the customs and VAT, but it's a gamble.

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #1668 on: April 03, 2013, 11:51:10 am »
I just checked conrad-uk and this voltcraft (DSO-1062D) is 293 pounds exl. delivery.. The Chinese version - Hantek 100mhz - is 220-230 pounds including free shipping from China.  The price of the 60mhz version on ebay is 290 pounds  ;D

Although with Conrad, you could return the DSO if you didn't like it (within 7/14 days? I don't know what it is in the UK) - plus perhaps have a more reliable avenue if service was required (although I don't know how Conrad deals with service on them).

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #1669 on: April 03, 2013, 12:08:30 pm »
Like tinhead said, don't forget to add customs (15-30%?) and VAT (20%).
But according to the European Taxation and Customs Union, there is 0% duty on an electronic oscilloscope shipped from China (as shown here). The problem is sometimes getting the customs people to be aware of this. If you go this route, it's best to have the shipper put the TARIC code (9030 20 91 90) into the documentation. But you do have to pay VAT of course.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 12:10:53 pm by marmad »

Offline brainwash

• Frequent Contributor
    • Hack Correlation
« Reply #1670 on: April 03, 2013, 01:31:56 pm »
I did not know that. Is that also applicable to normal multimeters?

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #1671 on: April 03, 2013, 02:17:23 pm »
I did not know that. Is that also applicable to normal multimeters?

Yes, I used it to make sure I got a function generator being sent from China duty free. At the TARIC website posted above, you can find the duty for any type of item being sent from any country of origin.

But there is one caveat. In the TARIC documentation is written:

"The TARIC DDS site allows searching for a product code based on its description. This function does not guarantee that a code retrieved in this way will be accepted by the Customs offices if used in a declaration."

Basically, it says that your local Customs office may screw you over. I think the best thing to do, if thinking of importing an expensive measuring device with 0% duty tariff (and you're not worried about paying VAT), is to FIRST contact your Customs office with the TARIC code and get them to either agree/disagree with the published tariff in writing; in other words:

"In order to obtain written classification information, it is advised to ask for a "Binding Tariff Information" (BTI) in the country of importation. Since it is the national customs authorities that are responsible for issuing binding tariff information, please send your request to the competent customs authorities of the Member State concerned. The names and addresses of these authorities can be found in the Official Journal of the EC C 126 of 23.05.2008, page 11."

Offline Johndowacc

• Contributor
« Reply #1672 on: April 03, 2013, 02:34:39 pm »
Interesting...So far I have always paid only the price stated on ebay (no duty, vat etc).... I have never bought anything more expensive than 30-40 pounds but still....I didn't have to pay VAT etc...as a matter of fact I pay the VAT when I buy the product from ebay so why should I pay VAT again ?! It doesn't make sense...Actually the duty charges are what the governments use to charge you for buying stuff from outside the EU, but since there is no duty charges for oscilloscopes then everything is fine! The only problem is regarding the warranty but since I am buying the scope from Chine I don't really expect to have any warranty haha...so the difference of 70 pounds would be only because I would expect to have some warranty from Conrad which is again something that I would not rely on... Considering also my intention to hack the scope to 200mhz and probably add a fan something tells me that the warranty would be 100% worthless :).
(off-topic imagine how much money Conrad makes from selling Chinese stuff so overpriced... and they probably buy these products even for less)

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #1673 on: April 03, 2013, 03:00:02 pm »
Interesting...So far I have always paid only the price stated on ebay (no duty, vat etc).... I have never bought anything more expensive than 30-40 pounds but still....I didn't have to pay VAT etc...as a matter of fact I pay the VAT when I buy the product from ebay so why should I pay VAT again ?!

You only pay VAT on eBay if you're buying the product from another EU country - and then of course, there is no duty.

I don't know what the rules in the UK are, but in NL it's the following:

Up to € 22 value       = No duty, no VAT.
From € 22 to € 150   = No duty, yes VAT.
€ 150 or more          = Yes duty, yes VAT.

But of course, they can't check every package - and if the real value isn't listed (and they don't check) - you can easily get things without paying anything.

Offline marek

Re: Re: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free
« Reply #1674 on: April 03, 2013, 03:05:01 pm »
as a matter of fact I pay the VAT when I buy the product from ebay so why should I pay VAT again ?!

It baffles me, why would you believe that a Chinese vendor would arrange to pay European VAT for you? For them it's export, and even if it weren't, Chinese version of VAT would or could be levied, your homeland IRS would have its say nonetheless.
MAREK

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf