Author Topic: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free  (Read 2187545 times)

Offline jellytot

• Contributor
Re: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free
« Reply #1725 on: May 07, 2013, 11:41:34 am »
Well my Hantek DSO5102B  hw version 1005 is now unusable, over the past few months it was having difficulty passing its self calibration stopping at different parts of the calibration sequence.
I decided to remove the board to clean it as there was some flux deposit still visible.
Well after assembling it , it appeared to be working fine and passed calibration repeatedly, so I left it
overnight only to find that it started failing again the next day. and now it doesn't get pass test
25/36 failing with the error 0x702 and then rebooting, when i try to use the scope its measurements are all over the place any ideas as to what is happening? has it happened to anyone else, or have i just been unlucky, is it curable? anyone got a spare board for sale? Regards jellytot

Offline NCG

• Contributor
« Reply #1726 on: May 08, 2013, 07:31:03 pm »
Wild shot but for me the power connectors that go from PSU to main board were bit too loose - you can tell if the crashes sometimes end with white screen, also self cal did not finish. I had to separate the pins from the holder and press them individually to be bit more tight but simple reinserting of the plugs might also help.

failing with the error 0x702 and then rebooting, when i try to use the scope its measurements are all over the place any ideas as to what is happening? has it happened to anyone else, or have i just been unlucky, is it curable? anyone got a spare board for sale? Regards jellytot

Offline jellytot

• Contributor
« Reply #1727 on: May 09, 2013, 05:16:52 am »
Thanks NCG. I tried what you suggested but I'm still getting the same error  :(
I think its just a lemon i.e. HW 1005, as I was always getting intermittant  calibration errors before this permanent fault.

Offline jellytot

• Contributor
« Reply #1728 on: May 09, 2013, 07:12:42 am »
Working!   ;D turns out to be a faulty relay. Now all I've got to do is restore my backup   :-\ anyone know if a dds generator is sufficiently accurate to use for calibrating, don't have anything decent at hand.  :(

Offline tinheadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #1729 on: May 09, 2013, 08:51:28 pm »
Working!   ;D turns out to be a faulty relay. Now all I've got to do is restore my backup   :-\ anyone know if a dds generator is sufficiently accurate to use for calibrating, don't have anything decent at hand.  :(

cool, can you tell us which relay was broken ?
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #1730 on: May 09, 2013, 09:18:54 pm »
- I actually made a couple of GPL request myself. One at Agilent for the 3000-X and another to vodafone. And in both cases I got the sources I asked for. Took time each time ( > 1 month ) but it worked out fine.
Which sources did you get? The Agilent DSO-X 3012A uses WindowsCE and a big custom written program and some custom libraries (I've disassembled it a bit, thanks the the firmware update image is not crypted). And once you have shell access, which you get e.g. if you connect the internal UART and then use u-boot to boot the image (with telnetd patched) over network, you can do interesting things on it. The main program has some nice command line parameters 8)
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline jellytot

• Contributor
« Reply #1731 on: May 10, 2013, 09:10:53 am »
Hi Tinhead. Its the calibration relay ch1. As you probably know I have been having intermittent calibration errors going way back, but it started to get worse so I pulled out the mainboard and noticed a lot of flux residue so I did a bad bad thing. I put it in an ultrasonic safe wash bath, Not recommended   :-- according to the relay maker Nec. funny thing the unit worked ok for a few calibrations and I thought I'd fixed it. the next day it failed again repeatedly with the same error 0x702. I applied 5v to the relays and found that both in ch1 circuit were sticking.
I didnt have any spare relays so swopped the ch1 calibration relay with the trigger relay and it appears to be working. I suspect that there maybe faulty or damaged relays and have ordered some to swop them out. So not
100% certain until I replace them.
Tinhead I was thinking of restoring a backup as I deleted the factory calibration files but because I have changed  relays is it pointless restoring a backup ? I don't have good precise signal source to calibrate with. also my restore file is 69206016 while yours is 69206026 should it still work?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1732 on: May 10, 2013, 11:33:54 am »
Tinhead I was thinking of restoring a backup as I deleted the factory calibration files but because I have changed  relays is it pointless restoring a backup ?  I don't have good precise signal source to calibrate with.

even if there could be small influence from new relays (they series resistance does not have any influence, the contact
capacity might be bit different and for sure parasitic capacitance from the solder), you don't have precise signal source,
so to restore backup is the best option.

also my restore file is 69206016 while yours is 69206026 should it still work?

where i wrote 69206026 ? It must be of course 69206016, thats exactly 66M (64M data and 2M oob bloks).
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline jellytot

• Contributor
« Reply #1733 on: May 11, 2013, 10:23:25 am »

also my restore file is 69206016 while yours is 69206026 should it still work?

where i wrote 69206026 ?

From a screenshot on the restore instructions it mentions the file size transfered this is why I was worried  :)

" class="bbc_img

Offline jellytot

• Contributor
« Reply #1734 on: May 11, 2013, 10:44:15 am »
 just a tip for anyone that's doing the restore, Don't forget to use the usb port at the rear and not the front as I was doing for over an hour  |O  trying different drivers for dnw until I realised  :-DD 
But happy to say it worked great in the end. Thanks again Tinhead for your great work on these scopes.   :-+

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #1735 on: May 11, 2013, 10:51:42 am »
just a tip for anyone that's doing the restore, Don't forget to use the usb port at the rear and not the front as I was doing for over an hour  |O  trying different drivers for dnw until I realised  :-DD 
But happy to say it worked great in the end. Thanks again Tinhead for your great work on these scopes.   :-+

How were you managing to hook together a USB Type A port (front of scope) to another USB Type A port (computer)?  ???

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1736 on: May 11, 2013, 10:59:08 am »

yeah, dnw is sometimes tricky.

Btw, I've just tested once again, the size of full dump is and must be 69206016, however supervivi is displaying 69206026.
No idea why it's like that, but it is ^^

Offline jellytot

• Contributor
« Reply #1737 on: May 13, 2013, 04:07:22 am »
How were you managing to hook together a USB Type A port (front of scope) to another USB Type A port (computer)?  ???
[/quote]
Hi marmad. Yes, that was my point,  I didn't think, know or research about the computer to computer communication using A to A type cables  :-[  I have used them in the past for e.g. external hdd and assumed it would work in this case  :( Fortunately no damage occured and I learned something new and so offered my experience as a tip to others possibly doing the same   ;D

Offline Purevector

• Contributor
« Reply #1738 on: May 15, 2013, 04:12:08 pm »
I'm pretty embarrassed to admit this, but I flashed my DSO5202B with firmware from an MSO5202D!!!

The scope power up, shows the logo and then a partial screen before it locks up and reboots due to the watchdog.

So, I have access to the shell through the UART and I have been able to stop the watchdog reset and I have copied a few DSO.exe files from this tread to the scope, but still no go.  I get a segmentation fault every time.

Can anyone help me please?  I did not make a backup before I flashed it.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1739 on: May 15, 2013, 05:52:47 pm »
I did not make a backup before I flashed it.

:wtf: ? ? ?

how you can not make backup??!!!

seriously, this is bad ass "bug", the MSO firmware can be flashed on DSO, partially of course, which breakes the DSO ...

So, I have access to the shell through the UART and I have been able to stop the watchdog reset and I have copied a few DSO.exe files from this tread to the scope, but still no go.  I get a segmentation fault every time.

download the latest DSO firmware, e.g.

http://www.hantek.com.cn/Product/DSO5000Series/DSO5202B_Firmware.zip

unzip it, decrypt the *.up file (gpg -d , pass is 0571tekway), guzip it, untar it and untar it again ... copy
then the content to usb falsh drive, insert flash drive to DSO, boot to shell, kill the dsod process
and copy following files from usb flash drive to DSO:

protocol.inf to /protocol.inf
dso.exe to /dso.exe
English.lan to /OurLanguages/English.lan
help.db to /help.db
dsod to /dso/app/dsod
rcS to /etc/init.d/rcS

you need to chmod 777 all these files as well.

Ttah's all, now after reboot the DSO should work as before.

Offline Purevector

• Contributor
« Reply #1740 on: May 15, 2013, 06:14:59 pm »
Hi tinhead,

Thanks for the help... done this but there is still a problem.  The unit boots and the display shows up, but none of the buttons work and there is no waveform on the screen.  There are a couple errors in the startup log.  Here they are:

kobject_register failed for usb_storage (-17)
insmod: can't insert '/dso/driver/dso-usbstorage.ko': File exists
S3C2410 USB Controller Core Initialized
USB Function Character Driver Interface - 0.5, (C) 2001, Extenex Corp.
usbctl: Opened for usb-char
usbctl: Started for usb-char
usbcore: registered new driver usblp
drivers/dso_drivers/usblp.c: v0.13: USB Printer Device Class driver
bwscon:0x2211d110
fpga bank 11811
dso-fpga: install ok
kobject_register failed for s3c2440-i2c (-17)
dso-i2c: can't register device
insmod: can't insert '/dso/driver/dso-i2c.ko': Device or resource busy
x gpio e: 0xaa0001a6, gpio g :0xfd62f19a , gdata:0x798c
dso-spi: install ok
dso-uart: install ok
dso-buzzer: install ok
0x60c
gpio_major_n = 6, io_minor_n = 12, output 1
fpga download file_name :/dn.rbf
dso-spi: open fpga file failed.
no update file to foud
now run app .....

Please press Enter to activate this console.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1741 on: May 15, 2013, 06:35:34 pm »
looks like missing or wrong /dn.rbf file (the FPGA design)

go to

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/hantek-tekway-dso-hack-get-200mhz-bw-for-free/msg170862/#msg170862

download the dn.rbf.zip file, unzip it, copy from folder dst1000B_models one of the latest dn.rbf file to DSO as /dn.rbf

When you have hw1007 model, the dn_hw1007_83E9_date111122.rbf should work for you. I remember i posted as well
the 83EB FPGA design, but yeah, both will work. When you have older model, you need to choose older design.

Offline Purevector

• Contributor
« Reply #1742 on: May 15, 2013, 06:44:08 pm »
tinhead you are my new best friend !!!!!   ;D

Everything works again - YAY  :-+ :-+ :-+

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1743 on: May 15, 2013, 07:14:02 pm »
you welcome .. and make a backup (not that restore is faster than this what you did right now, but yeah, it is better to have one)

Offline paul

• Contributor
« Reply #1744 on: May 18, 2013, 10:35:55 pm »
I finally got round to up dating the firmware to 130306 in my scope.

I am happy to say that the Delayed Sweep bug / weirdness is finally fixed, in all memory depths.

My last post on this bug,  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/hantek-tekway-dso-hack-get-200mhz-bw-for-free/msg189044/#msg189044
And its detailed as bug 15 on Tinheads list, but it was not properly fixed until now in 130306.

I have been `working around` this bug for some time and I am glad to see it fixed.

Paul.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 09:10:52 pm by paul »

Offline ayechon

« Reply #1745 on: May 19, 2013, 10:16:25 am »
Hello,

I just bought a DSO1062B and I did changed to DSO1202B with "DSO-BW-Change" thanks to this excellent forum. I have firmware version 2.01.1 (120909.0) and would like to download the 2.01.1 release (130129.0). What firmware I should download of the site Hantek? DSO1062B or DSO1202B.

Thank you in advance ..

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1746 on: May 19, 2013, 10:42:15 am »
What firmware I should download of the site Hantek? DSO1062B or DSO1202B.

the one for your current model name, not for the original name.

Offline ayechon

« Reply #1747 on: May 19, 2013, 11:32:32 am »
Thank you for your quick response.

The update of the DSO with the file "dso1kb_2.01.1_DSO1202B up (130129.0)." return the message:

"Firmware update failed, error: 0xfe
No upgrade files on USB device detected!

ditto for "dso1kb_backup_tool.up" file

Thank you for your help.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1748 on: May 19, 2013, 11:51:14 am »
take another flash drive, ensure only the *.up file is on the drive, let the DSO enumerate USB (you should see flash drive detected message) <- that's the typical things to watch during firmware update.

Offline ayechon

« Reply #1749 on: May 19, 2013, 12:13:11 pm »
After formatting the USB drive in FAT32 functioning OK.

Tinhead thank you for your help.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf