Author Topic: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free  (Read 2187632 times)

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
Re: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free
« Reply #1800 on: June 16, 2013, 05:19:56 pm »
I am still looking forward to Dave's review of this Tekway scope... https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BMI6-1sCMAEse4e.jpg
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 05:23:25 pm by Hydrawerk »
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline tinheadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #1801 on: June 16, 2013, 07:52:32 pm »
so far i know he did it, but probably not edited/uploaded yet or simply decided to publish it "later" as 3 DSOs within
3 weeks might be too much at once for some users.

I don't know if he covered all the "hidden" things, like e.g. Recorder or Marker (marmad spoke about in his review)
or triggered XY mode or lot of the other things you might not see directly or might not recognize as "special" without
deep look on it. Example the Recorder; it is at first look simply recorder, but you have to check deeper to see what
you can do with it and what others can't :

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/is-rigol-ds1052e-still-the-best-option-in-its-class/msg246917/#msg246917

I'm sure he will have a rant about the 1M/2M memory slowing the front panel/UI response to "worm speed"
(no, not worm hole speed, not light speed ^^).

But that's will be ok for "first impression" video, it would be not fair to do deep review and try to find "possitive"
things on Tekway/Hantek when he not did that for Owon or especially Instek (which is in higher price/quality class).

I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1802 on: June 16, 2013, 08:52:24 pm »
Marmad's Tekway scope was full of bugs in 2011, but it changed, I hope...

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1803 on: June 17, 2013, 05:33:24 pm »
This thread is too long to search...
Was there ever any serious issue with this scope like the well-known Owon noise problem?
Not a single wrong unit, but many of them? AFAIK not, but?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1804 on: June 17, 2013, 11:38:54 pm »
AFAIK not, but?

but what? Are you looking for somethign special? Something that is bad or not that good?

Was there ever any serious issue with this scope like the well-known Owon noise problem?
Not a single wrong unit, but many of them?

oh yes, there was between Feb 2011 and Jun 2011 hardware revision hw1005.
That was first revision made by Hantek, and it was not working as expected.
There was a difference between production and test unit, the FPGA design was
just a bit over the limit, so while sampling with 1GS/s there was a lot of distortion
making these DSO useless at 1GS/s.

I can't tell you how many units was affected exact, but it was something like 90%

The remaining 10% got special FPGA deisgn, making them bit more noisy but stable.
As a long term solution Hantek re-designed the PCB and fixed these issues with
hw1007 (which is since then still the latest hw revision for 1M/2M DSOs and MSOs)

« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 01:17:41 am by tinhead »
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1805 on: June 18, 2013, 12:29:55 am »
Thanks. So it was solved two years ago, it's OK.

Offline jyo

« Reply #1806 on: June 20, 2013, 02:29:37 pm »
oh yes, there was between Feb 2011 and Jun 2011 hardware revision hw1005.
That was first revision made by Hantek, and it was not working as expected.
There was a difference between production and test unit, the FPGA design was
just a bit over the limit, so while sampling with 1GS/s there was a lot of distortion
making these DSO useless at 1GS/s.

I can't tell you how many units was affected exact, but it was something like 90%

The remaining 10% got special FPGA deisgn, making them bit more noisy but stable.
I (unfortunately) got a hw1005 on april 2011 (I was happy to have a new - better - hardware at that time  :palm:)
Is there a way to know if I'm 10% happy or 90%...?
I'm interested by everything.
Are everythings interested by me?

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #1807 on: June 20, 2013, 04:15:30 pm »
It was "interesting" time.

One sample from many kind of document images. (and there is lot of, and many different tests, not only just this)

And note: This is from APRIL 2011

This is history. This must not connect with today Hantek equipments.

But today it can show becouse all this terrible hassle have been over long time ago. Just "fun" history.

This happend when designer did not have enough experience and knowledge about what he was doing.

(I have always made "pre-ageing" and tests for every single scope I have sell.
What ever model or brand it is. Also other new equipments. All go to burn in tests before accepted for sell. failed units stop to my barrier and did not go to end users. This is one reason why I do not so much admire these re-shipper sellers who only receive parcels, get orders and send parcels to end users. But cheapest price win - of course, or is it so...

In this time average was around 50% failed after arrive from factory.

Here one fun sample image.
Signal is around 16MHz quite clean sinewave from medium grade generator HP8657B.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 04:29:56 pm by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1808 on: June 20, 2013, 11:27:51 pm »
I (unfortunately) got a hw1005 on april 2011 (I was happy to have a new - better - hardware at that time  :palm:)
Is there a way to know if I'm 10% happy or 90%...?

yeah, you was not the only person who was "happy" to got newest hardware.

10/90% check is simple, when your DSO is working and you don't have such massive distorted/modulated signal like on the pictures which rf-loop posted just above my respone then your DSO is in 10% group.

Offline Strada916

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1809 on: June 24, 2013, 01:07:09 pm »
Looking at buy this one

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hantek-DSO5102P-Digital-Oscilloscope-100MHz-1Gs-2CH-7-TFT-Compared-TEK-TDS2012-/121080518250?pt=BI_Oscilloscopes&hash=item1c30f6166a

I have read through most of the 121 pages here and I am confused whether this scope can be hacked to 200MHz or not. As the 60MHz model is about $100 more expensive.

Sorry if it has been asked already.

Nick

The Bone, the Off-White, the Ivory or the Beige?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1811 on: June 24, 2013, 01:17:36 pm »
I have read through most of the 121 pages here and I am confused whether this scope can be hacked
to 200MHz or not. As the 60MHz model is about $100 more expensive.

Nick,

what a waste of time, you have to read only my very first posting on the very first page of this thread.
Just search on that first page for "P" model

But i can make it even easier for you, let summirize what i wrote there:

- P model schematic - not done as i don't have P model to play with it
 - pictures/other information about P model - no, i need help from P model owners
 - backup tool - no, i need as well help from P model owners
 - hack - afaik yes (60->100 tested, no evidence in firmware that 200 would not work)

Offline sorin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1812 on: June 24, 2013, 01:20:26 pm »
Looking at buy this one

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hantek-DSO5102P-Digital-Oscilloscope-100MHz-1Gs-2CH-7-TFT-Compared-TEK-TDS2012-/121080518250?pt=BI_Oscilloscopes&hash=item1c30f6166a

I have read through most of the 121 pages here and I am confused whether this scope can be hacked to 200MHz or not. As the 60MHz model is about $100 more expensive.

Sorry if it has been asked already.

Nick

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-tekway-dso-hack-get-200mhz-bw-for-free/msg239898/#msg239898

Offline Strada916

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1813 on: June 24, 2013, 02:44:48 pm »
thanks will keep reading. And researching
The Bone, the Off-White, the Ivory or the Beige?

Offline carloscuev

• Regular Contributor
    • Spanish Freescale Developers Forum
« Reply #1814 on: June 25, 2013, 02:22:14 am »
Just watched dave's review and as an owner of this scope I'd like to know if anyone has any clue about why is the analog frontend makes the captured signal "jump all over the place", could it be his hardware revision? How can I test without that fancy evaluation board he got?

Offline RobB

• Contributor
« Reply #1815 on: June 25, 2013, 10:33:14 am »
Just watched dave's review and as an owner of this scope I'd like to know if anyone has any clue about why is the analog frontend makes the captured signal "jump all over the place", could it be his hardware revision? How can I test without that fancy evaluation board he got?

check out Alan's channel. He has a very simple squarewave generator with fast rise time. It should be able to stress the scope enough.
BTW I tested the holdoff-crash thing Dave showed on my scope. no sign of a crash. Indeed the scope has never crashed on me.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 08:17:12 pm by RobB »

Offline Winston

• Regular Contributor
    • IC Die Photography
« Reply #1816 on: June 25, 2013, 02:53:19 pm »
My tiny little brain has an overtemp migraine from reading this thread, so I'll be asking some questions that are probably already answered within this thread:

1. What is the out of box defective rate for Hantek DSO5102 scopes in 2013?  rf-loop's image of the response to the same 16MHz sine wave of four different copies of the same Hantek model  looks pretty scary.  It also makes me seriously wonder if the horrible pulse response Dave got in his review of the Tekway DST1102B may have been due to a defective scope front end and maybe just in one channel (assuming that the Tekway and Hantek use the same main board).

2. What is the difference, if any, between a Hantek DSO5102B and a DSO5102P?  No US suppliers I see on eBay carry the P model, those are only available directly from China, but I'd prefer buying from a supplier in the US in case there are issues with the scope right out of the box.

3. Does the Hantek DSO5102 use the same on-screen menu structure and font as the Tekway DST1102 shown in Dave's review?  The same hardware?

Offline andersm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1817 on: June 25, 2013, 04:01:52 pm »
2. What is the difference, if any, between a Hantek DSO5102B and a DSO5102P?
B has 1M memory, P has only 24K. Other than that, the specs look identical.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1818 on: June 25, 2013, 04:13:03 pm »

and "P" model have brand new mainboard (which contains different SoC and DDR memory), newer Linux (3.x).

Offline Winston

• Regular Contributor
    • IC Die Photography
« Reply #1819 on: June 25, 2013, 06:29:04 pm »
and "P" model have brand new mainboard (which contains different SoC and DDR memory), newer Linux (3.x).
Thanks for that info.  Found the web page for the "P" version and it looks like it's just an attempt to lower the cost of the scope which makes sense with the lower memory count.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 06:42:12 pm by Winston »

Offline Winston

• Regular Contributor
    • IC Die Photography
« Reply #1820 on: June 25, 2013, 06:33:59 pm »
Thanks, couldn't find any specs on the Hantek site, they just listed their "DSO5000C Series" with no real info on it in English.

Whoops, just found some info on a Hantek site, might have been on a satellite site of some kind before.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 06:42:29 pm by Winston »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1821 on: June 25, 2013, 06:42:28 pm »
Thanks for that info. 

Other than the smaller amount of memory, is that new mainboard better than the old mainboard or did they simply redesign it to lower production costs? 

they redesigned the PCB because the main SoC is EOL. Now they using Samsung S3C2416 instead of S3C2440.

Was the Hantek DSO5102B with the older mainboard just the Tekway DST1102B hardware and firmware sold under a different brand name?

afaik Hantek nd Tekway belongs to same shareholders, they did a merger to optimize production costs. On the other side they selling still under own names (even if firmware is actually owned by Tekway and mainbaord produced by Hantek) and Tekway costs more (on the other side i know they running burn-out tests). What else behind, no idea, this is all they told me.

Offline Winston

• Regular Contributor
    • IC Die Photography
« Reply #1822 on: June 25, 2013, 06:48:42 pm »
Thanks for that info. 

Other than the smaller amount of memory, is that new mainboard better than the old mainboard or did they simply redesign it to lower production costs? 

they redesigned the PCB because the main SoC is EOL. Now they using Samsung S3C2416 instead of S3C2440.

Was the Hantek DSO5102B with the older mainboard just the Tekway DST1102B hardware and firmware sold under a different brand name?

afaik Hantek nd Tekway belongs to same shareholders, they did a merger to optimize production costs. On the other side they selling still under own names (even if firmware is actually owned by Tekway and mainbaord produced by Hantek) and Tekway costs more (on the other side i know they running burn-out tests). What else behind, no idea, this is all they told me.

OK, thank you for that very helpful info.  It really clarifies things.

Offline Erwin Ried

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1823 on: June 29, 2013, 06:53:48 am »
Hello!

Is this model compatible with the hack?
Hantek DSO5072P Digital Oscilloscope 70MHz 1Gs 2CH 7" TFT WVGA(800x480)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121089632989
My website: http://ried.cl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1824 on: June 29, 2013, 08:38:11 am »
Hello!

Is this model compatible with the hack?
Hantek DSO5072P Digital Oscilloscope 70MHz 1Gs 2CH 7" TFT WVGA(800x480)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121089632989

everything you need ti know is posted here

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-tekway-dso-hack-get-200mhz-bw-for-free/msg21170/#msg21170

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf