Author Topic: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free  (Read 2187562 times)

Offline tinheadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
Re: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free
« Reply #1875 on: August 29, 2013, 12:53:05 am »
is this normal or is there something wrong? I dont want to turn it off unless you say its okay.

no, for some reason this didn't work properly on your DSO. There is problem with nanddump, even with proper params it does read on some DSO forever, looks for me as cloned bad partition. When i do the backup on virgin NAND, it works.

All you can do now is to backup your device specific files, use that tool http://peter.dreisiebner.at/dso-usb-tool/
go to virtual shell, insert flash drive and copy files from / to /mnt/udisk/
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline firehopper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1876 on: August 29, 2013, 12:59:45 am »
is this normal or is there something wrong? I dont want to turn it off unless you say its okay.

no, for some reason this didn't work properly on your DSO. There is problem with nanddump, even with proper params it does read on some DSO forever, looks for me as cloned bad partition. When i do the backup on virgin NAND, it works.

All you can do now is to backup your device specific files, use that tool http://peter.dreisiebner.at/dso-usb-tool/
go to virtual shell, insert flash drive and copy files from / to /mnt/udisk/

it was making files, this was on a 4 gig flash card. I'll try it again on a fat16 formatted 4 gig//

on another note. the input circut is the same.. same 2 transistors

my question on the serial number of mine. is it a newer model or older model? 035000xxx

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1877 on: August 29, 2013, 01:11:46 am »
my question on the serial number of mine. is it a newer model or older model? 035000xxx

all P models are new.
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline firehopper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1878 on: August 29, 2013, 03:13:24 am »
yeah I'll copy stuff when I get the serial port working.. I have a usb > serial thing from sparkfun. so I'm good there.. just have to put the port on the board.

Not sure if I need to update the software on the scope first.. and the drive is formatted as fat32

but I'm getting the dreaded fe error on the3.40 firmwares you posted. not sure whats going on there..

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1879 on: August 29, 2013, 10:21:40 am »
but I'm getting the dreaded fe error on the3.40 firmwares you posted. not sure whats going on there..

don't worry, the DSO you ("P" model) have is complettly new design. There is no other firmware version than 3.x for your DSO.

Other models (like "B" and "MSO", "BM/BMV" not yet confirmed but probably the same problem) have multiple hardware
revisions:

- hw0, hw1005, hw1007 with Samsung S3C2440 SoC - with firmware 2.x
- hw??? with Samsung S3C2416 SoC - with firmware 3.x

For both, ppl with 2.x or/and 3.x firmware installed, when then install different firmware the DSO/MSO will get bricked.
So they have to watch out what they installing. For you as already said, didn't matter, your DSO is new, based on
S3C2416 and there only existing firmware is already 3.x. You can't install 2.x because there was never 2.x for your DSO,
 you can't install firmware from other models because they using different naming cnvention for update files and different
firmware encryption pwd.

Offline firehopper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1880 on: August 29, 2013, 12:16:38 pm »

don't worry, the DSO you ("P" model) have is complettly new design. There is no other firmware version than 3.x for your DSO.

Other models (like "B" and "MSO", "BM/BMV" not yet confirmed but probably the same problem) have multiple hardware
revisions:

- hw0, hw1005, hw1007 with Samsung S3C2440 SoC - with firmware 2.x
- hw??? with Samsung S3C2416 SoC - with firmware 3.x

For both, ppl with 2.x or/and 3.x firmware installed, when then install different firmware the DSO/MSO will get bricked.
So they have to watch out what they installing. For you as already said, didn't matter, your DSO is new, based on
S3C2416 and there only existing firmware is already 3.x. You can't install 2.x because there was never 2.x for your DSO,
 you can't install firmware from other models because they using different naming cnvention for update files and different
firmware encryption pwd.

alright, anything else you want me to do? take high rez photos or anything? (I have a 18 mpix dslr, no macro lens. but still can take some nice close ups)

Offline firehopper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1881 on: August 29, 2013, 03:00:54 pm »
I also noticed that I dont have any "void" sticker on mine :) no clue why.. but eh :) thanks for such an awesome post tinhead :)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1882 on: August 29, 2013, 03:16:16 pm »
alright, anything else you want me to do?

no, i have all i need from these models.

Offline firehopper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1883 on: August 29, 2013, 04:05:09 pm »
wheres the bug list, the first page doesnt seem to have a link anymore for the buglist.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1884 on: August 29, 2013, 05:38:06 pm »
i know, i have removed it for now. I need to update the list first, when i have some time :\

Offline firehopper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1885 on: August 29, 2013, 06:26:51 pm »
anyway, I tried to run all the commands that your tool runs from the serial console.. and it seems to get stuck on this line.

nanddump -o -b -l 0x7900000 -f /mnt/udisk/dump/root.bin /dev/mtd3

the drive light keeps flashing but the scope stops responding while it runs.. no idea if it would ever complete.. I did kill the dsod before I ran it though.. so what kind of command do I need to run to backup the scope then? or just some files?

Offline tyranus

« Reply #1886 on: August 29, 2013, 08:21:59 pm »
Hello,
I wonder if it is possible to reset the "bout count" and "upgrade count" counters?!

THX

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1887 on: August 29, 2013, 08:36:55 pm »
anyway, I tried to run all the commands that your tool runs from the serial console.. and it seems to get stuck on this line.
nanddump -o -b -l 0x7900000 -f /mnt/udisk/dump/root.bin /dev/mtd3

yeah, exact, no idea why this is not working on other DSOs. For some reason nanddump is dumping forever.

so what kind of command do I need to run to backup the scope then? or just some files?

all you can need are all files from :
/
/dso
/lib/firmware
/OurLanguages
/etc
/icon
/param

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1888 on: August 29, 2013, 08:40:11 pm »
Hello,
I wonder if it is possible to reset the "bout count" and "upgrade count" counters?!

THX

sure, there is file

/sys.inf

on your DSO. It contains counter informations

[start time]xxx
[update time]yyy

where of course xxx and yyy are what so ever is the value of updates/startups on your DSO. Simply edit that file and change them
to whatever you wish.

Offline tyranus

« Reply #1889 on: August 29, 2013, 08:54:22 pm »
Thank you very much for the answer and for your great work and sharing spirit.
Now i must solder the pins in order to connect the uart adaptor... :)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1890 on: August 29, 2013, 09:36:11 pm »
Now i must solder the pins in order to connect the uart adaptor... :)

oh well, you can use this tool :

http://peter.dreisiebner.at/dso-usb-tool/

connect then your DSO to PC, run this tool (the good part is, Peter wrote versions for Linux, OSX as well - however you need then libusb instead of org. driver), select the device driver type (org. or libusb under windows), then go to 3rd tab (read/write), type /sys.inf and click n read. Then you can save that file, edit and load back. Simply do load, select file and do write - that's all. You can as well, in case read/write didn't work, use first tab, which is virtual shell. Then simply insert usb flash drive and run on the virtual shell

cp /sys.inf /mnt/udisk/

Then you can edit that file on pc and copy back. This virtual shell is doing only command forwarding, so you can NOT run vi directly or so.

Offline firehopper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1891 on: August 30, 2013, 07:15:28 pm »
mine is now a 200 mhz model.
it still displays the 5072p logo on booting..
I edited the logotype (I think that displays the proper model # in the system info) and logotype.dis and the boot logo still reports 5072p

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1892 on: August 30, 2013, 07:38:16 pm »
it still displays the 5072p logo on booting..
I edited the logotype (I think that displays the proper model # in the system info) and logotype.dis and the boot logo still reports 5072p

hehe, the logotype/logotype.dis are not anymore in use for bootlogo on your model.

The bootlogo has been compiled into the display driver, so you have to compile own driver (the GPL code is available, so not a big deal) with your own logo.

Offline firehopper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1893 on: August 30, 2013, 09:02:07 pm »
dont know if I dare try that.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1894 on: August 30, 2013, 09:16:44 pm »
oh well, it is not really complex. You have to compile kernel and the frame buffer driver - where the boot logo is located.
You need of course the GPL source for these DSOs, check here (there are two version, to get all you need, you need to download both)

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-tekway-dso-hack-get-200mhz-bw-for-free/msg266507/#msg266507

Offline tyranus

« Reply #1895 on: August 30, 2013, 10:47:32 pm »
Well,
1. After I changed the BW from 60Mhz to 200Mhz i noticed a strange behaviour of my scope: if I measure the test signal the amplitude Pk-Pk is ~50V. If I revert to 60Mhz the problem disappear. Changing again from 60MHz to 200MHz the measurements are OK. I used the BW changer program.
2. Now I changed typelogo and typelogo.dis following the tutorial above and the problem described above appear again...
See attached picture.
Can be this a bug?
My DSO5062B: sw ver: 2.06.3(130814.0) hw ver: 5555583ed
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 10:57:03 pm by tyranus »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1896 on: August 30, 2013, 11:00:39 pm »
even when you set the probe mutiplier to x10 on DSO? (and of course the probe to x10 as well)

Offline tyranus

« Reply #1897 on: August 30, 2013, 11:14:33 pm »
Oh... my bad... i Didnt checked till now. you are right, as usual :)
Just one question... I didnt press the "Default setuo" button so, why my DSO didnt remeber the last settings (with probes on x1)?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1898 on: August 30, 2013, 11:22:10 pm »
no idea, it should save the information (after 10sec or so of inactivity). Of course when the profile (/param/sav/run1kbxxxxx) got wiped, e.g. by the watchdog, then there will nothing be saved. That seems to be the case on your pictures, one is having blue UI, the other back UI - so for some reason the watchdog (or you) deleted/wiped the current UI setup. That means, next time the dso.exe start, default profile will be loaded.

Offline sorin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1899 on: August 31, 2013, 04:03:50 am »
Hi!
Do you know what is the max sample rate/second than can be transfered to pc through lan on DSO5000P Series (for real time data login).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf