Author Topic: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free  (Read 2187637 times)

Offline Jantle

Re: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free
« Reply #1925 on: September 06, 2013, 02:59:33 pm »
i'm not able to reproduce this (can run DSO for minutes) however i don't have FPGA attached so no data acquired (on the other side no data is data as wel, but maybe the pure fact that my SoC can't get anything from FPGA is not stopping the firmware from working).
Thanks for checking this, however I am a little confused... what do you mean by "don't have FPGA attached" ?  Did you unsolder it from mainboard?  ???
I am not very familiar with this kind of electronics, but as far as I understand the SoC is running the main system (Linux) and does all the UI-stuff and FPGA is responsible for all the fast things like acquiring data and doing all the math like averaging? So it might be a issue within FPGA?

Another question: The latest software shows a menu entry which I didn't notice with old version: "Utility / page 3 / Option ... / Video" .
this is the video player option known from DSO5xxxBMV
[...]
Sure, you could enable that menu, but for what when the player is not working.

Well,... I don't think I'd ever watch Videos on my Oscilloscope  ;D   .. so, no I don't want to enable it.
I thought I might have been some functionality to record video of the DSO-screen for educational purposes or something like that.

So it would be more usefull if someone else could test it as well and let us know the results (together with the HW/FPGA design version, your is hw ver:   10000xffff8103)

I can confirm this bug. dso.exe crashes with:

dso.exe: opt/average_opt.c:469: Avg_AvgArrayAddAndAvg: Assertion `((void *)0) != pt_average' failed.

ver 8101

Thanks for confirmation, so I am glad it's no hardware issue with my mainboard and might likely be fixed somewhen. With knowing this bug it can be easily be avoided and honestly I don't really need these settings very often.

Offline tinheadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #1926 on: September 06, 2013, 09:36:26 pm »
Thanks for checking this, however I am a little confused... what do you mean by "don't have FPGA attached" ?  Did you unsolder it from mainboard?  ???

insted of complette DSO (in this case DSO5xxxP) i do have only ARM Development board (in this case Embest S3C2416 board),
loaded with dump from original DSO/MSO (in principle ARM dev board, runnig the same Linux as on DSO, with exact the same kernel, dev drivers, and almost the same hardware - except FPGA, ADCs with frontend and frontpanel).

This allows me to run the firmware and watch the connected LCD. The frinpanel of these DSO/MSO models is connected always to FPGA, as i dont have FPGA i'm using my PC to send commands to simulate frontpanel.

So in principle i can test everything, but not the data coming from FPGA/ADC. If i need to do this, i'm flashing the dump to real DSO/MSO. However, i don't have any based on the latest hardware, so all i was able to do is to run the P model firmware, set remotelly avg. mode and depth and watch the LCD. But exactly as i expected, due the missing link to FPGA the firmware was working with no issue.

So it might be a issue within FPGA?

i would say "no", but as this new design everything is possible.

I thought I might have been some functionality to record video of the DSO-screen for educational purposes or something like that.

yeah, that would be nice to be able to record video. Unfortunately it can only play videos, whcih is still good for education purpose, but maybe not something needed by everyone.

I am glad it's no hardware issue with my mainboard and might likely be fixed somewhen. With knowing this bug it can be easily be avoided and honestly I don't really need these settings very often.

nevertheless, i will write it down and send to Hantek/Tekwayx together with other bug reports.
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1927 on: September 06, 2013, 09:40:04 pm »
I've installed 2.06.3(130814.0)  and I have the DSO back up and running.

There's obviously something weird going on with the files i have here. Tinhead can you post the correct links to the files i need to update my DSO to your latest software and firmware please? Just to be sure i'm using the correct files?

the 2.06.3(130814.0) is the latest for your DSO (and so far i haven't done any patching to it). So when it runs, then everything fine.
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1928 on: September 06, 2013, 09:46:23 pm »
How do i flash the firmware via uart? I'd like to revert to an older version to test.

in the backup tool for your DSO (see first page) there is as well description how to restore the full backup.
To restore older firmware version it is much simpler. All you have to know is that these DSOs are using Linux,
with bunch of drivers of course. The drivers will be updated very rarely (nevertheless you can very often find the same drivers over and over again in firmware files, this is because the manufactuer have as well to provide firmware updates for users who never ran updates before and using these DSO since long time). The DSO itself is application called /dso.exe (on newer model /dso_bin). This executabe is using language resource files, they located in /OurLanguages directory. So when you wish to use older firmware, then simply replace the dso.exe (or dso_bin) and the la nguage files in /OurLanguages directory.

Offline rigrunner

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1929 on: September 06, 2013, 11:31:48 pm »
the 2.06.3(130814.0) is the latest for your DSO (and so far i haven't done any patching to it). So when it runs, then everything fine.

Everything is back together and it appears to be working fine  :phew:  :-+

Whilst testing it i noticed that the scope probes that came with it which are allegedly good for 60Mhz are pretty poor after 40Mhz, and the Wittig W202 that i replaced them with are only good up to around 150Mhz mark.

The DSO itself seems to read reasonably accurately up to 200Mhz and then tails off after that.
Internet of Things: A solution desperately trying to find its problem

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1930 on: September 07, 2013, 05:32:52 pm »
The DSO itself seems to read reasonably accurately up to 200Mhz and then tails off after that.

you should check as well if your DSO is using the less good combination of resistors in frontend.

Offline rigrunner

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1931 on: September 07, 2013, 09:44:40 pm »
you should check as well if your DSO is using the less good combination of resistors in frontend.

If they are the unwanted combination is it really worth the hassle of changing them? And by that i mean am i going to see much more than 200mhz usable?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1932 on: September 08, 2013, 04:57:29 pm »
... is it really worth the hassle of changing them? And by that i mean am i going to see much more than 200mhz usable?

not the bandwidth but the frequency/pulse response will be improved.

Having such signal (where is know what my source is providing, i know how to measure and know how the signal looks on expensive TEK DSO):

i don't want to see such result:

Offline rigrunner

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1933 on: September 09, 2013, 11:01:22 pm »
I don't have anything that will put out a square wave at any reasonable frequency.  |O

I'll test it when i can borrow a decent function generator.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1934 on: September 09, 2013, 11:25:51 pm »
I don't have anything that will put out a square wave at any reasonable frequency.  |O

I'll test it when i can borrow a decent function generator.

and this is one of the reasons why to trust me :) I and some other guys in another forum did simulations, measurments and finally we found combination giving the best results. For you (and other affected ppl) it is now simple, when your DSO does have the described combination of resistors - simply replace them, run self-calibration and you fine.

Offline metehyig

« Reply #1935 on: September 10, 2013, 06:08:35 pm »
Hi

in my opinion all this hacking to increase bandwith is only an optical  effect on the display and splash logo.

will the oscilloscopes really be able to measure a 200MHZ signal ? i doubt !

to be sure one  has to connect a signal generator say a sinus wave 180-200MHz on a pre hacked osci , then repeat the same after hacking.
which i never saw here on this forum and elsewhere.
cheers

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1936 on: September 10, 2013, 07:18:16 pm »
in my opinion

i don't give a shit about your opinion ... when you too dumb to read specs, compare results, check all the measurments made by me and lot of other ppl posted here and on the mikrocontroller.net forum (there are two looong threads about these DSOs, longer as this one here) then really, nobody cares about what you think.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 05:42:51 am by tinhead »

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #1937 on: September 11, 2013, 01:39:52 am »
in my opinion

i don't give a shit about your opinion ... when you too dumb to read specs, compare results, check all the measurments made by me and lot of other ppl posted here and on the mikrocontroller.net forum (there are two looong threads about these DSOs, longer as this one here) then really, nobody cares about hat you think.
:-DD. Seriously though. Trust the many people who have fast function generators and have tried this before.
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

Offline Tasman

• Contributor
« Reply #1938 on: September 11, 2013, 06:29:27 am »
to be sure one  has to connect a signal generator say a sinus wave 180-200MHz on a pre hacked osci , then repeat the same after hacking.
which i never saw here on this forum and elsewhere.

Perhaps he's just trying to get up your sinus.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1939 on: September 11, 2013, 08:50:16 am »
Perhaps he's just trying

he posted as well (as new user) on mikrocontroller.net, in mutiple threads. So he must be
- fanboy of what so ever
- desperate Hameg employee (haha, no, that's joke guys)
- dumb troll

To ignore one - two ppl who think they "improved or hacked something" is generally said ok, the internet is full of such stories. But to ignore thousands of people (and all their experience) is another story.

Offline metehyig

« Reply #1940 on: September 11, 2013, 04:24:44 pm »
Perhaps he's just trying

he posted as well (as new user) on mikrocontroller.net, in mutiple threads. So he must be
- fanboy of what so ever
- desperate Hameg employee (haha, no, that's joke guys)
- dumb troll

To ignore one - two ppl who think they "improved or hacked something" is generally said ok, the internet is full of such stories. But to ignore thousands of people (and all their experience) is another story.

To aknowledge one thousand - two thousands electronic hobbyist who never work/use with 200MHZ BW and who think they "improved or hacked something" is generally said ok, the internet is full of such stories. But to ignore some doubtfull people (and all their questions) is another story.

Cheers !

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1941 on: September 11, 2013, 05:19:09 pm »

yeah, you right, we all are idiots using bongo generators with muschi termination, we all measured only bullshit.

Dave ?!,  shit, you should really invite this guy to "High IQ members club", he seems to know what he is taking about :P

Offline Tasman

• Contributor
« Reply #1942 on: September 12, 2013, 02:36:59 am »
But to ignore some doubtfull people (and all their questions) is another story.

Cheers !

Best course is to ignore ignorant people who are deliberately trying to anger you with their unsupported opinions.  To respond only makes them feel wanted - like the unloved child provoking a parent to punish them.

Offline DrCFields

« Reply #1943 on: September 12, 2013, 03:45:15 am »
I do not know if this has to do with the BW hack or Win XP. After hacking I tried to connect the USB on the back of the DSO5102BM to my computer and it finds the hardware but asks for SEC S3C2410DX Test B/D (which is not on the install CD) I searched online and all I found other than the usual driver/trojan providers was something about needing a bios upgrade, but that was for a different piece of test equipment.
Can you advise?
Thanks.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1944 on: September 12, 2013, 05:54:05 am »
SEC S3C2410DX Test B/D (which is not on the install CD)

while booting - before linux has been loaded, the DSO is sending different VID/PID (which belongs to the bootloader).
Simply do not connect DSO before it has complettly booted to DSO firmware.

When you wish that driver installed - wchich is not necessary to use any DSO function (so for what so ever reason),
then use this one

http://www.friendlyarm.net/dl.php?file=usb-downloaddriver.zip

Offline sorin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1945 on: September 12, 2013, 08:47:11 am »
Best course is to ignore ignorant people who are deliberately trying to anger you with their unsupported opinions.  To respond only makes them feel wanted - like the unloved child provoking a parent to punish them.

:-+

Offline dr_p

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1946 on: September 12, 2013, 10:28:25 am »
I recently saw a discussion about handheld Hantek scopes being up-gradable as well, so I searched this thread but found nothing about my model.

Can a Hantek DSO8060 be upgraded from 60MHz bandwidth? It looks like Hantek upped the sampling rate at some point for this model, so I think it has 250MS/s. That's still 4 times lower than the 1060, maybe it has to do with the extra function generator that's taking some FPGA real-estate?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 10:30:11 am by dr_p »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1947 on: September 12, 2013, 10:44:04 am »
I recently saw a discussion about handheld Hantek scopes being up-gradable as well, so I searched this thread but found nothing about my model.

on the very first page of this thread there is list of all models which can be hacked.

Can a Hantek DSO8060 be upgraded from 60MHz bandwidth?

short answer - no.

It looks like Hantek upped the sampling rate at some point for this model, so I think it has 250MS/s. That's still 4 times lower than the 1060, maybe it has to do with the extra function generator that's taking some FPGA real-estate?[/font][/size]

DSO1060/DSO1200/DSO8060 they all have very similar hardware, the only difference are the extras (the AWG is an extr FPGA, you can completty remove it and DSO will still work, same for DMM - complettly separate part of circuit) and sampling rate, which probably isn't even hardware dependant, probably the ADC is even the same and with a different firmware you could get more. However, nobody ever tested this, on the other side upgrading firmware from 8060 to 1200 would remove the AWG capability (the AWG itself is an Hantek DDS 3x25).

Offline dr_p

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1948 on: September 12, 2013, 11:06:04 am »
Thank you for the detailed and complete answer, it's all clear now.

I guess 60MHz will do for my use.  :-/O

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1949 on: September 12, 2013, 11:41:41 am »
I guess 60MHz will do for my use.  :-/O

i give you a hint :)

When you only wish to increase the analog bandwidth, without changing the sample rate, then you could try to replace the mux ic  HEF4052BT (the one between the metal can and the two ADC on which small heatsinks are mounted) by something with bit more bandwidth, e.g. CD74HC5052 from TI oder 74HC4052 from NXP (or maybe even better once, you will have to compare them together and to HEF4052B/BT which is the worst one).

The DSO1200 is using MAX what so ever mux ic's, but better xx4052 mux should bring some MHz as well.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf