Author Topic: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free  (Read 2187518 times)

Offline tinheadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
Re: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free
« Reply #1975 on: September 17, 2013, 03:26:02 pm »
Got my replacement unit. 

happy you

Just a quick question: the Single Seq button is translucent, like the Run/Stop and auto buttons, but it doesn't light up.  Is it supposed to?

no, there is no LED for that button.
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1976 on: September 17, 2013, 03:28:02 pm »
this is crap, someone just bought latest MSO5202D model from Hantek and installed latest firmware from Hantek website. ... and of course the MSO is now bricked !!!
I just did this to an MSO5102D.  It's on it's way back to China.  Not happy  >:(
Got my replacement unit.

btw, they now not only posted two firmware versions, btu as well changed version check.
So my backups tools might not work now anymore, i will have to update them as well then.
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #1977 on: September 17, 2013, 09:46:20 pm »
Got my replacement unit. 

happy you

Just a quick question: the Single Seq button is translucent, like the Run/Stop and auto buttons, but it doesn't light up.  Is it supposed to?
I'm thinking of a jury rigged hack to make it light up...

no, there is no LED for that button.
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1978 on: September 17, 2013, 09:58:00 pm »
I'm thinking of a jury rigged hack to make it light up...

for sure it is cool to have "spare" translucent button, it can be used for what so ever ...

i never had the chance, you might wonder what i'm talking abut .. see here:

on my Tekway this button was not translucent^^

When talking about LED hacks, the Auto-set button is always on - but not when auto-set is running :P
I would say more logical would be to have that button all the time off, except auto-set has been started.

• Super Contributor
new firmware for Hantek/Tekway/Voltcraft MSOs
« Reply #1979 on: September 18, 2013, 08:38:51 pm »
I've made "new" firmware for all who have MSO with hardware revision hw1007, firmware 2.x.x.

I've patched everything i don't like on these MSOs:

- English.lan changed to what this file is on DSOs, all the LA/MSO specific items are now esier to understand^^
Example, there is duration trigger, Hantek used condition "<", ">" and "=" in English, but in chinese "End of data", "Begin of data" and "data length", so i've changed them as well so. As well other strings changed.

- the automatic 20MHz LPF in 2mV is now removed

- added sample rate indicator (instead of date/time), in single window you have to hide menu, in dual window always visible

- FFT full span bug fixed, this is alreay fixed on DSOs, on MSO Hantek missed to fix it, so i did it. Now the sample rate is twice the full FFT span in 800ns/DIV to 20ns/DIV, originaly it was only 1.6 times higher which was violating nyquist theorem.

- in FFT disabled the sample rate indicator, it does have bug anyway, my indicator works better. Additionally changed, for better understanding, the /DIV to the FFT frequency indicator in the status line

- default setup changed, now when set to default the DSO is using "screen refresh rate=50" instead of "=auto". This works better and it does speed up not only the display but as well cursors/buttons response.

- default setup changed, now when set to default the DSO is using "Wave intensity=9" instead of "=12"

- default setup changed, now when set to default the DSO is using "holdoff=100ns" instead of "=500ns",
this is now like on DSOs, they using 100ns as well.

- moved the "Help" from "Help button" to "Utility->Page2/3"-> Sys Status". I never like that Sys Status,
sure useful to get some informations like sample rate, but that can be displayed in a different way.

- the whole LA/MSO functionality removed from F7 menu, now it is exact like on DSO, F7 is switching
only between single and dual window.

- the whole LA/MSO is now under the "Help" button, so when you need LA, push that button,
when you don't need it anymore, push it again.

-H/L indicator bug fixed, in all LA triggers the L/H letters are switched, so when you set "trigger on HLLH" the MSO
is triggering on "LHHL". This is now fixed.

Attached list of all my changes (changes.asm), so everybody who wish can easily follow up what i changed/added.
As well atached map files, for original 2.7.01_(130826.0) and for my version, 2.7.01_(130826.1)

I don't think that Hantek will ever implement my F7/help button change, that would be probably hard to explain
to all users out there, so probably we will have to patch further versions as well (that's why i made a list of changes).

Install note: simply install, my update will remove any language files and add only English.lan, so don't be surprised. Only dso.exe will be installed (and top_la.rbf with clk out for Ethernet on MSO). The rcS will be not modifed/repalced during update

« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 09:00:58 pm by tinhead »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1980 on: September 18, 2013, 08:44:37 pm »
For all who have new MSO hardware, with firmware 3.x.x

when you wish to have all these changes implemented on your firmware, then do it :)

I can't do it, because i can't test, but with attached map file, the two 2.x.x map files and the list of changes (see previous page of this thread) you can easily change your 3.x.x firmware as well. The map file is for the firmware 3.2.35_(130826.0), you can find it here:
http://www.hantek.com/Product/MSO5000D/MSO5202D_Firmware(3.2.35).zip

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1981 on: September 18, 2013, 08:47:43 pm »
forgot something, while playing with the MSO duration trigger i found out that there is an ugly bug,
for sure on 2.x.x and i bet on 3.x.x as well. Here my text which i've send to Hantek:

"Begin of data" and "End of Data"
when timebase from 40ms to 4us the duration scale is fixed to 2us/DIV.
No matter what i set, one display DIV is equal 2us.

when timebase from 2us to 200ns - everything ok

when timebase from 80ns to 2ns the duration scale is again wrong, on
80ns/DIV duration fixed to 160ns per DIV, when timebase 40ns/DIV then
duration fixed to 80ns per DIV, etc.

"Data length"

ok only when timebase set from 2us/DIV to 200ns/DIV.
From 80ns/DIV to 2ns/DIV partially ok, the data delay length will be
properly triggered (except jitter, but that's ok), however the position
have an offset (always about half of the data length).

When timebase from 4us to 40ms the duration must be always set smaller
and smaller to allow triggering. For example at 4us/DIV i have to set
for duration the half of the real value. For 8us/DIV again half of the
4us/DIv value or 1/4th of the real pulse length. For 20us/DIV i need the
set the pulse width / 2.5  2  2 to get the delayed data triggered. I
have NOT tested bigger values than 2ms/DIV, this is because the
resultion of LA is not allowing such small values (less than 10ns), but
it seems that the whole range 40ms/DIV to 4us/DIV is affected by the
"divide / 2 or 2.5" error.

• Super Contributor
question to all Hantek/Tekway/Voltcraft user
« Reply #1982 on: September 18, 2013, 08:55:14 pm »
For all DSO users :)

What do you think, that Sample Rate indicator as shown here in my patched MSO firmware:

and here

Shall i request this to be implemented officialy on DSOs?
Maybe even with an option to choose "time/date" or "sample rate"
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 09:02:06 pm by tinhead »

Offline timmo

« Reply #1983 on: September 18, 2013, 09:15:48 pm »
Hi,

Just got a Hantek DSO5072P.

I've changed the bandwidth and got the quieter fan to fit (thanks!) and am just wondering if there is any benefit to fitting the micro SD card or RJ45 port and transformer (looks like a HTX1260NL?).

Watching the OS boot it seems to attempt to boot from SD before NAND so could this be an easy way for trying newly compiled bits?
The LAN port driver seems to be installed in the OS, could this make life a little easier for transferring files onto the scope or even act as an SSH connection?

BTW I like the idea of the sample rate indicator, not always useful but it's a good bit of extra information that is presented in an unobtrusive way!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1984 on: September 18, 2013, 09:39:37 pm »
just wondering if there is any benefit to fitting the micro SD card or RJ45 port and transformer

depends, for sure on B models the SD card can be used to save waveforms, etc.
Ethernet is always nice to thing, when something wring and dso.exe/dso_bin is not starting anymore
you can then easily connect via telnet or ssh and fix things.

(looks like a HTX1260NL?).

no idea, you will have to check pinout, i think it is H1102NL

Watching the OS boot it seems to attempt to boot from SD before NAND so could this be an
easy way for trying newly compiled bits?

the S3C2416 SoC does support SD card boot, so yes, it can be useful for some things

The LAN port driver seems to be installed in the OS, could this make life a little easier
for transferring files onto the scope or even act as an SSH connection?

yes it is, however another user reported that it need to be reloaded during boot to work properly

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1985 on: September 18, 2013, 10:52:51 pm »

(looks like a HTX1260NL?).

no idea, you will have to check pinout, i think it is H1102NL

timmo,

just checked my PMs, yes, it is H1102NL.

Offline uh9lab

« Reply #1986 on: September 19, 2013, 03:23:46 am »
Just got a Hantek DSO5072P... I've changed the bandwidth

You installed firmware from 5202P, right? Could You please give me a link for it?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1987 on: September 19, 2013, 07:01:23 am »
Just got a Hantek DSO5072P... I've changed the bandwidth

You installed firmware from 5202P, right? Could You please give me a link for it?

there is no need to install 5202P firmware to get 5072P changed to 5202P (unless you need bootlogo)

Offline uh9lab

« Reply #1988 on: September 19, 2013, 03:57:24 pm »
there is no need to install 5202P firmware to get 5072P changed to 5202P (unless you need bootlogo)

Oh, thanks for allusion, I started reading this thread again from the beginning and at last got 2ns. :-)

BTW, after flashing 5102P firmware bootlogo still shows 5072, but doesn't matter.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1989 on: September 19, 2013, 04:10:24 pm »

Oh, thanks for allusion, I started reading this thread again from the beginning and at last got 2ns. :-)

BTW, after flashing 5102P firmware bootlogo still shows 5072, but doesn't matter.

right, the firmware does not contain the frame buffer driver in which the bootlogo has been implemented, you have to build your own frame buffer driver (or wait until owner or legit 5202P will provide one).

Offline uh9lab

« Reply #1990 on: September 19, 2013, 04:39:16 pm »
Ich danke Ihnen tausendmal!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1991 on: September 19, 2013, 05:03:57 pm »
Ich danke Ihnen tausendmal!

hehe, you welcome. I will see, maybe i will compile all these frame buffer drivers, so everybody who need will then simply copy one.

• Super Contributor
new customized firmware for Hantek/Tekway/Voltcraft DSOs
« Reply #1992 on: September 19, 2013, 08:00:10 pm »
as few ppl asked for patched (as above for MSO) firmware whcih displays the Sample rate, i've made one, for following DSOs:

- Tekway DST1062B, DST1102B, DST1202B
 - Hantek DSO5062B, DSO5102B, DSO5202B
 - Voltcraft DSO3062C, DSO1062D
 - PCE DSOs: PCE-DSO5062B, PCE-DSO5102B, PCE-DSO5202B

How to install : as any firmware update. Ensure that your DSOs is listed above and does have firmware 2.06.3 installed.

Changes:

- added sample rate indicator (instead of date/time), in single window you have to hide menu, in dual window always visible

- in FFT disabled the sample rate indicator, it does have bug anyway, my indicator works better. Additionally changed, for better understanding, FFT frequency indicator in the status line to display /DIV

- default setup changed, now when set to default the DSO is using "screen refresh rate=50" instead of "=auto". This works better and it does speed up not only the display but as well cursors/buttons response.

- default setup changed, now when set to default the DSO is using "Wave intensity=9" instead of "=12"

How the firmware looks like:

Where to get :

http://www.mikrocontroller.net/attachment/191673/dst1kb_2.06.3__130814.1_.up

Other infos:

The firmware is based on the Hantek fw 2.06.3_(130814.0), so when you wish to know what changed compare them.

• Super Contributor
time to say "Thank you Dave!"
« Reply #1993 on: September 19, 2013, 09:27:42 pm »
As i'm very close to 2000 replies and 400000 views time to say Thank You Dave for support!

One might wonder what i mean, well, some time ago i've posted that call:

1500 replies and (nearly huhu, made it) 250000 views ... Dave, where is my DMM ?   :-//

Perhaps there should be a prize for threads that crack numbers like that.
Email me your snail mail address!

Dave.

and Dave was nice to send me that BK 2709B from his review (EEVblog #99 - $100 Multimeter Shootout),
as an "motivation" to post more, which i did of course  :-+

Owners of that DMM would now probably said "gosh, he knew it, that thing is beeping all the time", and that's right, but i hacked this as well with some single gates, so no beep anymore (except within  continuity test). I should post that hack, will do some day, eventually^^

Anyway, once again thank Dave for support, and yeah, i will keep posting, maybe some day (when i reach another magic number) you will send me an DSO (one that not need customized firmwares and does have nice pulse response hehe)

• Super Contributor
new customized firmware for Hantek DSO5xxxP models
« Reply #1994 on: September 21, 2013, 01:40:20 am »
to make it complette, i've made customized firmware for "P" models having all the things as these posted above patched MSO/"B" DSO firmwares.

That firmare is compatible with following models:

- Hantek DSO5072P, DSO5102P, DSO5202P

How to install : as any firmware update.

Changes:

- in FFT disabled the sample rate indicator, it does have bug anyway, my indicator works better. Additionally changed, for better understanding, FFT frequency indicator in the status line to display /DIV

- disabled "Sys Status" menu (that button could be now used for somethign custom, any idea what could be useful?)

How the firmware looks like (exact as the others):

Where to get :

http://www.mikrocontroller.net/attachment/191824/dso5kp_v3.40_dso5xx2p.up

Other infos:

The firmware is based on the Hantek fw 3.40.0(130717.0), which is on Hantek website tagged as e.g.
dso5kp_v3.40_dso5102p20130722.0.up, so when you wish to know what changed compare them both.

And yeah, test it and let me know if you like it (or not)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 01:42:29 am by tinhead »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1995 on: September 21, 2013, 11:27:14 am »
I can see download counter increasing but no comments at all, not here, not PM nor emails :\

So is everybody pissed off of happy or i don't know? I really need feedback, without no idea if i have to spend time on firmware or what so ever things related to these DSO/MSOs
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 03:08:11 pm by tinhead »

Offline uh9lab

« Reply #1996 on: September 21, 2013, 02:30:49 pm »
Well, I just tried it. Everything works fine, for me, it's pleasant to see sample rate and to have 50Hz by default. Thank You!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1997 on: September 21, 2013, 03:21:46 pm »
Well, I just tried it. Everything works fine, for me

that's good, i haven't really tested it before i've posted :)

Offline cosmos

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1998 on: September 21, 2013, 04:33:44 pm »
Thanks tinhead for your relentless work,  sorry for delayed response to your update.

I applied your MSO update the day it was released and it looks good the little I have seen.
I like the change to F7 and HELP, I also like the changes showing samplerate.
I wanted to check it out more in detail and then give you a more precise feedback but have not found time for that yet.
Did you update anything to the logic analyser part except for the HELP button?
I only tried the DSO part so far, except I noticed while trying the HELP button that I still have spurious flashes of random data on all LA channels.

LA is the most broken part as far as I am concerned.
   not all samples captured in LA memory can be zoomed to
   LA memory seems to be only 4k deep (should be 512k?)
   triggering in mixed mode leaves the LA data trailing the DSO data by one event (seems like it is only a misplaced refresh operation since if you force a display refresh by operating controls it shows the newest samples)

The support from Hantek has been horrible and unresponsive to the point that I have given up any hope they will fix the LA in the foreseeable future.
Also beware of their support web site, they log your IP (that is OK i guess) and publish it in full for all posters (NOT OK). Pointed it out 5 months ago and they would look at blanking out parts of it to shield their customers... not a thing happens   >:(

As a result I have moved on to a DS4014.  First priority on my home lab todo list at the moment is checking out the BW settings on the I2C bus of the DS4014 (looking for confirmation that BW limits are set as in DS2000).

Offline firehopper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1999 on: September 21, 2013, 05:31:37 pm »
its not for my dso5072p/dso5202p or I would have tried :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf