Author Topic: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free  (Read 2189752 times)

Offline ECL

• Contributor
Re: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free
« Reply #625 on: June 14, 2011, 07:34:29 pm »
About Factory Calibration

Fantastic!!!  Great job tinhead!

ECL  -K

Offline tinheadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #626 on: June 14, 2011, 11:33:39 pm »
Only for those who have firmware version 2.06.3 (110420) installed

since fw version 2.06.2 there is a "bug" which prevents from exporting more than 40k as CSV.

As HanTekway is not doing anything on that i finally got pissed off and patched the firmware.

There is memory depth check in the middle of the "DoKeyOption2InMenuSaveRecallCSV" procedure

BL   Store_GetStoreDepthLib
      MOV   R3, 0x9C40
      CMP   R0, R3
      LDMGTDB   R11, {R11,SP,PC}

so i did nop'ed it

BL   Store_GetStoreDepthLib
      MOV   R3, 0x9C40
      CMP   R0, R3
      NOP

and now i can export full 1M long memory as CSV.

If you need this feature, all you have to do is:

- connect over UART
- insert USB Stick with the attached dso.exe (unzip it first ...) and wait until the stick will get mounted
- kill the DSO application by typing "killall dso.exe"
- copy over the dso.exe ( cp /mnt/dso.exe / )
- change file permission ( chmod 777 /dso.exe )
- test it by typing /dso.exe

If everything works you can remove the stick, disconnect from UART and restart the DSO

Btw, it seems that HanTekway did it for a reason (really?), there seems to be a watchdog running,
as the 1M CSV export takes 40 seconds it might happen that the DSO will crash.

The best way to prevent it from crash is to close the file menu right after the file has been written.

And yeah, i did changed the file revision number to what it should be 2.06.3 (110420), i just
don't like wrong numbers (you remember, that was a small "bug", the file got changed by the developer forgto to
increase version number).

I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline ECL

• Contributor
« Reply #627 on: June 15, 2011, 12:34:44 am »

I wonder why they didn't just break up the transactions, into smaller
chunks (16-32K), so the watchdog can get "scratched" regularly?
It sounds like the speed of the USB flash stick will also factor into
how big an export can be performed, without triggering the watchdog?

Short of releasing a complete source package, or a development kit,
I wonder if Hantek/Tekway would be open to the idea of releasing
key source files, where known bugs are likely to reside?  After all, I
doubt there is too much proprietary technology in their file manager
app, or the CSV export routines.  They could publish the file, let the
user community submit changes, and then reintegrate on their end.
They could save a lot of time, and expense, and we could get critical
bugs fixed.  Everybody wins. 

BTW, thanks for getting pissed off  ;)

ECL  -K

• Super Contributor
« Reply #628 on: June 15, 2011, 01:28:21 am »

I wonder why they didn't just break up the transactions, into smaller
chunks (16-32K), so the watchdog can get "scratched" regularly?
It sounds like the speed of the USB flash stick will also factor into
how big an export can be performed, without triggering the watchdog?

hard to trace it, 10x saved o crash. So it happens sometimes only, especially if you
did songle shot and click run instead of close file menu and then continue acc.
So it might be something else causing the self kill.

Short of releasing a complete source package, or a development kit,
I wonder if Hantek/Tekway would be open to the idea of releasing
key source files, where known bugs are likely to reside?  After all, I
doubt there is too much proprietary technology in their file manager
app, or the CSV export routines.  They could publish the file, let the
user community submit changes, and then reintegrate on their end.
They could save a lot of time, and expense, and we could get critical
bugs fixed.  Everybody wins. 

[dream-mode on]
yeah, this would be great ...
[dream-mode off]

but i doubt they will do it

BTW, thanks for getting pissed off  ;)

you welcome!

Btw, i haven't changed the import procedure, it will still refuse 512k and 1M CSV import.
I think that's ok, in most cases we need to export data to do something with it on PC.
If i have to store large raw waveform data (for whatever comp. ) then the recorder is the best way to export and import it.

I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline ECL

• Contributor
« Reply #629 on: June 17, 2011, 08:42:46 pm »

For anyone considering adding a fan to the Hantek/Tekway, here are a couple
off the shelf options:

Link Depot FAN-5015-B (15CFM, 29dba): 

http://www.link-depot.com/dc_fan_5015b.html

Startech FAN5X1TX3 (Evercool EC5010M12BA, 8.63 CFM, 23dba):

http://www.startech.com/product/FAN5X1TX3-5x1-cm-TX3-Replacement-Ball-Bearing-Fan-also-includes-a-TX3-to-LP4-adapter

I evaluated both units, in my scope.  Both are 12VDC nominal bias.  The Startech has about half the airflow
of the Link Depot, but is also much quieter.  If you are going for minimum noise, but want a little air moving,
the Startech is the best option.  If noise is not a big issue, I recommend the Link Depot.  Based on the
shielding design, venting and underside mounted ADC's, the Startech is a bit underpowered for the job, in my
opinion.  The noise level of the Link Depot, when the unit is fully assembled, is on par or quieter than other
gear in my lab (PC's, scopes, LA etc ...).  One advantage, to the Startech, is that it comes with a male 3-pin fan
adapter, that can be used to fill the empty (fan power) pads on the power supply. 

ECL  -K

Offline colinbeeforth

• Contributor
« Reply #630 on: June 18, 2011, 06:07:35 am »
Re fans, take a look at the Sunon "maglev" fans, they use a magnetic levitation system to eliminate running bearings.  I've had experience with lots of equipment running 24 hrs that had constant fan failures.  We solved the problem at modest cost by using the maglev fans.  Traditionally, ball bearing fans have been the choice for lifetime, but I've found the new maglevs were reliable even with full time operation.  For my Hantek, I fitted a 12 volt maglev fan, and replaced the spare unused 7812 regulator on the power supply board with a 7805 (7808 would be ok also) regulator.  The fan has no start up problems and runs very quietly.  I soldered a male connector onto the empty place on the power supply board, and fitted a connector to the fan lead.  It's hard to tell it isn't original.  Despite running quietly it does a good job of cooling.  I hate loud fans.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #631 on: June 24, 2011, 01:59:18 pm »
for those who looking for 64bit driver, Hantek relesed them today, they works of course for Tekway too.

Offline flodins

• Contributor
    • flodins.info
« Reply #632 on: June 24, 2011, 10:38:52 pm »
another DSO hacked, this time in Poland, thanks (:

• Super Contributor
« Reply #633 on: June 25, 2011, 11:49:03 am »
another DSO hacked, this time in Poland, thanks (:

musi dzia?a?, wiadomo kto wymysli? :)

Offline WanaGo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #634 on: June 26, 2011, 03:42:02 am »
Hi Tinhead

So from what I am reading, the Tekway DST1102B is the same as the Hantec DSO5102B?

I am just starting to read up on these now as I have been looking at the Atten ADS1102CML, and also the Rigol DS1052E with hack etc, but the Hantec looks promising albeit more expensive.

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/hantek-digital-storage-oscilloscope-dso5102b-100m-1gs-s-7-wide-screen.html

$640.48 I assume is about as cheap as this comes?

$530 for the Atten 1102CML, which doesnt have a high a resolution as the Hantec.

$370 or so for the Rigol.

Cheers
James
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 03:58:57 am by WanaGo »

Offline colinbeeforth

• Contributor
« Reply #635 on: June 26, 2011, 05:02:15 am »
Hi James,
Are you quoting US dollar prices?  Group members are from all over the world.
The models you quote don't have equal hardware so that affects price.  Check carefully the screen resolution, the Hantek/Tekway DSO5102B is 800 horizontal by 480 vertical.  Many other DSOs have vertical resolution less than 256 points which is needed to nicely display an 8 bit sampled waveform.  If you look at a clean sine wave on low screen resolution scopes, they always show jaggies, not smooth curves.  DSOs are not even slightly simple, and comparisons are complex, but the the Hantek/Tekway screen is much nicer.  All the low cost scopes are a compromise, they all have aspects that aren't so good, so you must keep that in mind, you are not getting the equivalent of HP or LeCroy at a cheap price.  If you can afford it, the new range of HP DSOs give much better performance.  That said, the Hantek DSO5102B and the identical Tekway DST1102B are the best performance for dollar 100MHz DSOs on the low cost market.  Last year, Rigol was the best option, but the market changes quickly.  I have two older expensive digital scopes, but use the Hantek because the colour screen is easy to read and the DSO is tiny.  Besides, when my LeCroy 9310M fails, what will I use to diagnose it?  Probably the Hantek!  Best wishes, Colin in Melbourne, Australia

Offline WanaGo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #636 on: June 26, 2011, 05:08:18 am »
Thanks Colin

Yes I was quoting US $, it tends to be the most universal $ on forums.

The more reading I do on these the better I like it.

Apart from the screen, It would be great to get a comparison to the ADS1102CML in terms of performance.

Regards
James

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #637 on: June 27, 2011, 11:49:52 am »
New DSO5102B and 5062B.

FW 2.06.3 (110531.1)
HW 10070x555583e8

first 10 minutes fast looking around.. 

not bad... maybe least one fatal bug is repaired(??) or I have forget how to test..   need more tests (now busy)

5062B -3dB  well over 100MHz ;) 

5102B  -3dB just as before with new (blue) mainboard.
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #638 on: June 27, 2011, 12:15:12 pm »
nice, 110531.1 ... i hope it will be available public (soon)

Btw, HW 10070 seems to be a new hardware revision, do you see any difference?

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #639 on: June 27, 2011, 12:32:11 pm »
nice, 110531.1 ... i hope it will be available public (soon)

Btw, HW 10070 seems to be a new hardware revision, do you see any difference?

Not opened, not any older for compare with eyes but only  as compared to my memory feels  like littlebit less noisy and maybe ADC mismatching noise less - maybe only dreaming?. Have not now time for test more.

Update: Just littlebit opened and, wow...  Hantek have do development in production quality, specially soldering and cleaning work is now better. Well cleaned (not just as spacecraft electronics but still good) , also nice soldering.  (before just new board was blue... now it is agen green, Ver 1.00.7.)

But this is only one random individual unit. (also I have seen work quality variations before)

« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 06:59:19 pm by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline pgup62

• Contributor
    • Elec3i Instrumentation et automatisme
« Reply #640 on: June 27, 2011, 01:48:45 pm »
Hi,
French "Soldes" in Elec3i (http://elec3i.com/specials.php) for 6 weeks. Eevblog users discount (30EUR) for Hantek DSO5000 series still running. :)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #641 on: June 28, 2011, 05:05:59 pm »
i did checked the firmware 2.06.3 (110531.1), works really stable.

There are still two "bugs":
- no export for 512k and 1M CSV
- help file in meausre menu is crashing DSO

For those who can't wait for official update:

I updated the help file (no more crashes, reason was simple - special characters inside SQL) and patched
the firmware to allow 512k and 1M CSV export. I leaved import as is, maximal 40k CSV can be re-imported back to DSO.

Attached dso.exe, language files and the help file.

It does work with all known hardware revisions, however you will have to copy these files over UART and
of course change permissions to chmod 777 * (or the DSO will not start-up)

« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 07:58:24 pm by tinhead »

Offline RFman

• Contributor
« Reply #642 on: June 28, 2011, 08:33:21 pm »
for those who looking for 64bit driver, Hantek relesed them today, they works of course for Tekway too.

I've been waiting for ages for this 64 bit Driver. But I always have trouble finding anything on the Hantek Website. I've searched everywhere but can't find it. Can someone PLEASE point me in the correct direction with the URL address for the 64 bit Windows 7 Driver for TTscope software.

Thanks all for your help.

RFman.

Offline ECL

• Contributor
« Reply #643 on: June 28, 2011, 09:07:21 pm »
Can someone PLEASE point me in the correct direction with the URL address for the 64 bit Windows 7 Driver for TTscope software

Sure, try here:

http://www.hantek.com.cn/Product/64Driver/DSO5000.rar

ECL  -K

Offline carloscuev

• Regular Contributor
    • Spanish Freescale Developers Forum
« Reply #644 on: June 29, 2011, 11:42:03 am »
Could somebody please share the 2.06.3 (110531.1) firmware for Tekway? (for a 100Mhz hacked to 200Mhz device, I guess I should ask for a 200Mhz device right?)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #645 on: June 29, 2011, 01:27:04 pm »
ready compiled update file for Tekway DSOs only (with patched 512k/1M CSV export and updated help file)

NOTE: Do not use this on DSO bought after June 1st 2011 (or having hw1007 .. check system info before you run!!!)

On these scopes you have to copy files manually, see this:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=1571.msg52173#msg52173

If you already updated and scope is not working properly it is not too late, look here for solution:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=1571.msg52500#msg52500
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 08:08:22 pm by tinhead »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #646 on: June 29, 2011, 01:27:30 pm »
ready compiled update files for Hantek DSOs only (with patched 512k/1M CSV export and updated help file)

NOTE: Do not use this on DSO bought after June 1st 2011 (or having hw1007 .. check system info before you run!!!)

On these scopes you have to copy files manually, see this:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=1571.msg52173#msg52173

If you already updated and scope is not working properly it is not too late, look here for solution:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=1571.msg52500#msg52500
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 08:09:55 pm by tinhead »

Offline Pinkus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #647 on: June 29, 2011, 10:28:07 pm »
Many thanks to Tinhead and all other who are contributing.
I finally changed my 5102 to a 5202 (never took the time for this) and upgraded to the new latest firmware.
Lets hope it is not crashing as often as before. A first test quick seems to promise that it is a better FW now.

Offline flodins

• Contributor
    • flodins.info
« Reply #648 on: June 29, 2011, 10:30:30 pm »
i'm trying to setup gentoo on this scope, work is going well soon i'll have full linux and scope on one board (:

Offline RFman

• Contributor
« Reply #649 on: June 29, 2011, 11:21:51 pm »
Can someone PLEASE point me in the correct direction with the URL address for the 64 bit Windows 7 Driver for TTscope software

Sure, try here:

http://www.hantek.com.cn/Product/64Driver/DSO5000.rar

ECL  -K

Thanks very much ELC,

RFman

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf