Author Topic: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free  (Read 2202649 times)

Offline walt

• Contributor
Re: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free
« Reply #925 on: October 31, 2011, 08:23:22 pm »
file was broken, uploaded it again, check list on previous page

sorry, I am retardation a little  :)

I mean file for DSO 5202B

length 2 549 266 byte,
 MD5  generated by Total commander 7.55 
fe93c083c614353257871b7559c68a83 *dst1kb_2.06.3_15202b_fact(110923.1).up

Offline tinheadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #926 on: October 31, 2011, 09:56:50 pm »
I mean file for DSO 5202B

length 2 549 266 byte,
 MD5  generated by Total commander 7.55 
fe93c083c614353257871b7559c68a83 *dst1kb_2.06.3_15202b_fact(110923.1).up

the org. file on my computer have same MD5 as the one on hotfile, and it work.
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline walt

• Contributor
« Reply #927 on: November 01, 2011, 05:56:59 pm »
and it work.

As far as I understood, based on the latest version HANTEK and language file from your patch.
Differs only DSO.E?E

I did like to wrote a post https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=1571.msg23984;topicseen#msg23984.
In your patch replaced the DSO.EXE and packed again.
It worked.  8)

Thanks, tinhead

Offline RFman

• Contributor
« Reply #928 on: November 03, 2011, 06:32:59 am »
as some ppl asked for, here the latest firmware (110923.1) for

Tekway DST1xxxB

http://hotfile.com/dl/133482275/8da8e64/dst1kb_2.06.3_01202b_fe(110923.1).up.html

Hi Tinhead,

I received the following error message when I used the above file to update via the USB memory stick: "Software upgrade failed, error 0xf7 illegal upgrade files detected".

My Tekway is:
Model: DST1202B (Has been upgraded from 100MHz).
Soft/Version: 2.06.03 (110118.0)
Hard Version: 0x555583e8.

Thanks for your help,

RFman.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #929 on: November 03, 2011, 10:13:47 am »
as some ppl asked for, here the latest firmware (110923.1) for

Tekway DST1xxxB

http://hotfile.com/dl/133482275/8da8e64/dst1kb_2.06.3_01202b_fe(110923.1).up.html

Hi Tinhead,

I received the following error message when I used the above file to update via the USB memory stick: "Software upgrade failed, error 0xf7 illegal upgrade files detected".

My Tekway is:
Model: DST1202B (Has been upgraded from 100MHz).
Soft/Version: 2.06.03 (110118.0)
Hard Version: 0x555583e8.

Thanks for your help,

RFman.

this happens when the company name (tekway) or model name (dst1202b) are with cap letters in logotype.dis
or when there is no CR at the end of the line. You should fix that because every org. update will fail,
however for now see attached special version which is not checking these things

http://hotfile.com/dl/134086905/54cd538/dst1kb_2.06.3_01202b_fe(110923.1)_special.up.html

(MD5 check sum is c0d05af7c91f2cd2c552e7a908f10aff *dst1kb_2.06.3_01202b_fe(110923.1)_special.up )

file deleted, new version available
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 02:26:48 am by tinhead »
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline RFman

• Contributor
« Reply #930 on: November 04, 2011, 01:05:37 am »

this happens when the company name (tekway) or model name (dst1202b) are with cap letters in logotype.dis
or when there is no CR at the end of the line. You should fix that because every org. update will fail,
however for now see attached special version which is not checking these things

http://hotfile.com/dl/134086905/54cd538/dst1kb_2.06.3_01202b_fe(110923.1)_special.up.html

(MD5 check sum is c0d05af7c91f2cd2c552e7a908f10aff *dst1kb_2.06.3_01202b_fe(110923.1)_special.up )

Hi Tinhead, Thanks for going to the trouble of generating a special update. If I use this then I'll have to have a special version for each new update. I wonder if it would be better if I correct the necessary files and that would then allow me to use the normal upgrades which I guess would also include Teckway updates. Am I correct in saying this.

I have already purchases a USB serial interface to allow me to get into the Linux operating system. This should allow me to correct the required files.

But I need to know what to fix in each file and some extra instructions as to what program I need to use to modify the files. Or maybe I can just copy the correct files? I'm no expert in Linux  :(.

As always, thanks again for your help,

RFman.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #931 on: November 04, 2011, 01:12:58 am »
I wonder if it would be better if I correct the necessary files and that would then allow me to use the normal upgrades which I guess would also include Teckway updates. Am I correct in saying this.

yeah, it is better.

I have already purchases a USB serial interface to allow me to get into the Linux operating system. This should allow me to correct the required files.

But I need to know what to fix in each file and some extra instructions as to what program I need to use to modify the files. Or maybe I can just copy the correct files? I'm no expert in Linux  :(.

you don't have to be an expert, all you need is to connect over uart to the linux shell, once you in only few files need to be
probably edited (with vi editor), that's simple steps.

Offline RFman

• Contributor
« Reply #932 on: November 04, 2011, 01:58:35 am »
I wonder if it would be better if I correct the necessary files and that would then allow me to use the normal upgrades which I guess would also include Teckway updates. Am I correct in saying this.

yeah, it is better.

you don't have to be an expert, all you need is to connect over uart to the linux shell, once you in only few files need to be
probably edited (with vi editor), that's simple steps.

Hi Tinhead,

Thanks, what files should I change and what should they look like. Are you able to generate a printout or something that would guide me.

And how do I start vi editor?  :)

Thanks a million,

RFman.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #933 on: November 04, 2011, 08:48:24 pm »
This is example, not true.

You are connected to scope with USB UART using terminal emulator. (if you like you can even use microsoft bullshit hyperterm but I do not recommend it to any kind of use. Use some real emulator. Example Cryptoterm 1.5 or something else. (before use it as pure terminal it may need some small settings so it works just like dummy old RS232 terminal, depend of what terminal you select to emulate it can also show colored things, more nice to use. But maybe if someone have not use real terminals in history they do not miss real terminals functionality and then they can even accept microsoft hyperterm what is just shame... most bad terminal ever what can find on this Tellus.)

what ever terminal  you give keyboard (real terminal can send this):

together pressed |ctrl|C
and then |enter|

now you are here (in root)

[root@Tekway-dso /]#

and you can command example this

ls |enter|

you get long list on the terminal display (root have these names and they can be files, directories etc)

Something like this: (5 underlines is me... maybe you quess why)
one you mod with mv and others with vi

[root@Tekway-dso /]# ls

OurLanguages      fpgabank.conf     logotype.dis      sys.inf
bin               help.db           lost+found        tdc.log
chk_base_volt     home              mnt               tdc_edge125M
cur_acq.type      i2c.log           msg               tdc_overtime125M
dev               icon              mult_adc.log      tdc_pulse125M
dn.rbf            keyprotocol.inf   nfs               test
dso               language.img      opt               tmp
dso.exe           lib               param             tmpdst
dst1102b          linuxrc           proc              ubdb.swi
etc               logo              protocol.inf      usr
fpga.exe          logotype          sbin              var

[root@Tekway-dso /]#

now lets do something small

type (after # there is cursor waiting)

vi logotype|enter|   (|enter| means you just press enter)

you get something like this

- logotype
dst1102b
~

and here you are now with vi editor reading or editing and your cursor in start of file (just under first character).

First, if you do not want touch anything or just make some mistakes and you have changed accidentally it, just go out without saving anything.  give vi command:
:q! |enter|   (or if it do not follow becouse you are not in vi command mode you then |esc|:g!)

(To enter vi command mode: [esc]) example if you are i (insert) you need first enter back to command mode)

you go out from vi and not saving anything and agen you are here
[root@Tekway-dso /]#

ok lets editing:

agen

[root@Tekway-dso /]#vi logotype|enter|

you get

dst1102b
~

you can now edit.

You can move cursor with
h   move left (backspace)
j   move down
k   move up
l   move right (spacebar)

Move cursor under second 1  (dst1102b)

press r, then 2

what happend? ...  1 changed to 2. (r changes next typed mark to cursor pointing place)

now there read dst1202b   and your cursor is where it is.. if need edit more you can move cursor and use  r  (replace)
 only change these numbers and also keep care that if there is uppercase it need stay uppercase etc. do not use inserd etc becouse all strings need be exactly lenght as they are and upper ands lower case is also important.

you can find easy all vi commands bu google search vi editor commands.
(this replace command is safe becouse you can not destroy file lenght and also if there is example <cr> yoy can not accidentally destroy anything)

ok now there is edited this.
You can now store it and quit. Type:

:wq |enter|  or |esc|:wq|enter|

you go back to

[root@Tekway-dso /]#

ok lets check (if want do it with vi):

type agen:

[root@Tekway-dso /]#vi logotype|enter|  (note if you know you just want read only it, no need go vi editor).

if you only read and not change anything or accidentally change something what you not want
just type
:q!

and it quits without saving anything.  (if you first need go to vi command mode press first |esc| and then command example :q!  this need example if you are in insert mode editing text)

If you only want read file then use command cat filename, this can not change anything. (and if file is long, you can use more filename)

You can exercice with vi around of scope but if need exercise,  it is better to make  one file and then exercise with it just as writing first text and then editing it with many ways.

Also if want look more: sightseeings inside scope you need tiny command list like this)
So if you just looking some files maybe is better look only with command cat filename ,  it is nearly same as old msdos command: type.

maybe something is not correct in my text... it was just from my bad memory without checking.

Just like this you can edit all what need exept.....

first with
ls
command  you get root directory list (ls list files in this directory where you use it) where is your scope model... (same with Hantek and Tekway, dstxxxxb)

if have 100MHz model there read (in root directory): dst1102b

this name can not edit by vi

this you simple change (move) like this

[root@Tekway-dso /]#mv dstxxxxb dstzzzzb|enter|

x is what you know(old) and  z what you want(new).

(tiny mod (example for short time test) is only this model change with mv and restart scope.
(remember also self cal after mod))

if you just mv <oldmodel> <newmodel> |enter| you do not need do anything other but just shut off cope and restart.. you scope works as newmodel but there is wrong boot up picture and systemdata is wrong. In this mode you can not use update for your newmodel. (it is more safe that do not try update FW is model change is not full and perfect)

but for doing all perfect you need edit  some files.
(I have never mod FW110923.1 scope so there may be some differencies, really I do not know. Last time I have used mod was maybe FW110531  and after mod of course updated FW's but not tested if new FW's still can mod exactly same as before)

Please read tinhead comments just starting this whole thread.

all files what need touch are listed there.
Be careful, if there is uppercase or lower case inside file, do just as they are.. do not change uppercase/lowercase inside files)

(mv just change name.) mv tommy bobby  ...and now tommy renamed to  bobby)

before restart scope look and watch carefully that you have typed all just exactly without any minor error.
As long as you have not rebooted you can read all with vi and also re-edit if need.

one example "user manual" for use vi editor

All original info you can find if you follow carefully what tinhead have teached here in thread. He have done lot of fine work with this for all of us and also for helping Hantkek sell more and also Hantek/Tekway to make better scopes.
full thanks to tinhead.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 09:42:34 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #934 on: November 05, 2011, 02:06:29 am »
removed
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 09:17:42 am by tinhead »

Offline RFman

• Contributor
« Reply #935 on: November 06, 2011, 06:37:29 am »

So, now back to the "update" script

[cmd] rm /dst* -rf
[cmd] touch /dst1202b

<- here the model file will be deleted and created again. This file is the magis one for the bandwidth hack

[cmd] rm /logotype.dis
[cmd] mv /usr/up/tekwayup_client/logotype.dis /logotype.dis

<- and here the logotype.dis will be deleted and new one will be copied to root fs of the DSO.

Now what you have to know is, exactly here the firmware is checking the Brand (which might be hantek or tekway)
and the model - for Hantek DSO5062B, DSO5102B, DSO5202B and for Tekway dst1062b, dst1102b, dst1152b, dst1202b.
There are of course Tekway dst4xxxb and dst3xxxb models (as well Hantek N/C series), but i don't care abotu them
as we speek here about 1GSs models.

The firmware is checking then following
ucUpdateBrand = ucSysBrand ?
ucUpdateType = ucSysType ?

if not you will get an error 0x7f

ucSysxxx are read from the logotype.dis of your DSO, usUpdatexxx are from the firmware update file itself

This has been implemented to prevent people from running a wrong update (model, manufacturer - so not only hack protection)
However, in case you update file contains an empty file named "special" (/usr/up/tekwayup_client/special)
exact this update step will be not execute - so you can update from Hantek to Tekway or from whatever model to another one.

Thanks RF-Loop and Tinhead for your help.

RF-Loop,

Thanks for the instructions on how to get into Linux and how to use the Editor. I think I will be now be able to edit and fix my files. I will read the Editor manual, thanks for the link.

Thanks very much for your kind help.

Tinhead,

Thanks for the information on how update works. It sure is involved with a lot of checking etc. It must have taken you ages to work this out.

Would I be correct in saying that my problem is in the above quoted section because I get the error "0x7F".

Do I go into the "logotype.dis" file and Edit it to make sure that the brand and model is correct. Is this the only file I need to modify to allow my Tekway to update in the future? Also do I have to put in "CR", "LF" or what?

Thanks very much for your time and help,

RFman.

Offline vlindos

• Contributor
« Reply #936 on: November 06, 2011, 11:31:59 am »
Hi again,
Forgive my stupid question but does the Hantek has the option to save the data from the screen or the memory to a CSV file ?
If does not isn't possible to handle this some how from the shell, I know the hardware calibration puts down the the volts of the captured sourse to a text file. Is there any hole we can use for capturing to CSV file.

CSV file is very useful for creating excel sheets and diagrams but mostly for calculatng the power of impulse and so on.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #937 on: November 06, 2011, 01:18:54 pm »
Screen can save as picture to USB and/or internal memory.
Captured data can save as .csv to USB.

I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #938 on: November 06, 2011, 02:22:28 pm »
Hi again,
Forgive my stupid question but does the Hantek has the option to save the data from the screen or the memory to a CSV file ?
If does not isn't possible to handle this some how from the shell, I know the hardware calibration puts down the the volts of the captured sourse to a text file. Is there any hole we can use for capturing to CSV file.

CSV file is very useful for creating excel sheets and diagrams but mostly for calculatng the power of impulse and so on.

ehm sure, there is a big button "Save/Recall" , just use it (and select then CSV).

Offline vlindos

• Contributor
« Reply #939 on: November 07, 2011, 11:35:34 pm »
Uhm  ::) ... Thanks!
I was searching the Hantek manual for CSV keyword and haven't luck. Thanks for helping the fool.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #940 on: November 08, 2011, 12:16:49 am »
Uhm  ::) ... Thanks!
I was searching the Hantek manual for CSV keyword and haven't luck. Thanks for helping the fool.

not your fault, since the user manual has been written (and well, never updated) the firmware has been changed
a lot, not only CSV section missing (also measrments, filters, pass/fail, cursors, many general item from menu structure ...)

Offline trap15

« Reply #941 on: November 09, 2011, 11:14:09 pm »
Just thank you tinhead, great hack!

For this great source of information, I just want to add my small contribution :
for UART connection, the only think available for me was a DLPDesign USB232M module. But this module needs an 3.3 V host power source to drive Tx correctly. I used the power supply pin referred as "do not use" on your picture (It seems to be a 3.3V Vcc) and it works just fine.

Again thanks for your work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #942 on: November 16, 2011, 09:15:30 pm »
maybe someone of you here have a bit of spare time and can try to identify these still unknown components:

SOT23-3, part marking SCJG, pinout 1-VCC, 2-Vout, 3-GND
- this is voltage ref. used in hw1007 instead of LT1790-4.096V

Diodes Inc AP7313-15SR seems to match, in terms of package marking,
but the SR is a reversed pinout (to the more common 1=ground organization).
Output is 1.5V.

Maxim MAX6145EUR-T matches pinout and voltage, no sign of SC marking code

Could match some of the precision shunt lines, like LM4040 etc

These folks suggest SCxx is a Microchip marking prefix (handy site BTW, good job to the team that runs it!):

http://chip.tomsk.ru/chip/chipdoc.nsf/vc1!readform&view=smd&cat=S&start=501&count=500

If so, it might be the MCP1541, which matches voltage output and pinout.

TI REF3040 series may also be a match

ECL  -K

i measured the voltage of the unknown SCJG marked volt. ref. and to be very honest i'm really surprised.
The "cold" voltage is 4.0964V, the "warm" voltage (20° temp diff) is 4.0965V

That's under 1.5ppm temp/°, so really good one volt. ref, much better than the LT1790-4.096V used in hw1.02/1.03

Offline e-pirate

• Regular Contributor
    • www.e-pirate.ru
« Reply #943 on: November 18, 2011, 10:12:54 am »
Hi, folks, I'm been away for some time, but now I'm back :)
So, I have two questions/requests for now:
1) tinhead could you upload your improved English.lan as a plane file, so ppl, having UART can update without using fw updating procedure?
2) folks, having pure native DSO5202B and hw version 1.00.3, can anybody send me a pm with a device SN having replaced last, lets say, two-three digits with 'X'?
** Think, research, design, experiment, create..

Offline benkev

« Reply #944 on: November 25, 2011, 12:48:34 am »
Hi All (and tinhead personally :)).

I am new for this forum and never wrote posts here. I find it really exciting; the forum helped me to chose between inexpensive DSOs in favour of Hantek DSO5102B. I bought it a while ago (hardware 10070x55553e8) and recently hacked it to turn it into DSO5202B. I also tried to increase the knee frequency of the digital filter up to 450 Mhz by creating the /tst file with '[filter] 45', as tinhead advised. However, I encountered some problems. Could anybody help me, or just discuss them?

(1) After the hacking I found out that the oscilloscope does not start dso.exe: after turning on power the LCD screen becomes bright-blue and... it remains in this condition forever, the "DSO5201" logo never appears.
If I connect the onboard UART to the PC (I use a CP2102 chip based USB to Serial bridge) and run pytty at 115200 8-N-1, on the putty terminal console shows up the prompt
Tekway>

Typing 'help' produces the following list of commands:
Tekway> help
Usage:
   flash [{cmds}]                       -- Manage Flash memory
   cpu [{cmds}]                         -- Manage cpu clocks
   bon [{cmds}]                         -- Manage the bon file system
   reset                                -- Reset the system
   param [eval|show|save [-n]|reset]    -- set/get parameter
   part [add|del|show|reset]            -- Manage MTD partitions
   mem [{cmds}]                         -- Manage Memory
   load [{cmds}]                        -- Load a file to RAM/Flash
   go <addr> <a0> <a1> <a2> <a3>        -- jump to <addr>
   dump <addr> <length>                 -- Display (hex dump) a range of memory.
   call <addr> <a0> <a1> <a2> <a3>      -- jump_with_return to <addr>
   boot [{cmds}]                        -- Booting linux kernel
   help [{cmds}]                        -- Help about help?
   loadyaffs {...}                      --  to Flash
Tekway>

Typing
Tekway> boot
makes normal Linux boot and starts dso.exe.

Why does not  the oscilloscope boot after power on? (Sometimes it boots normally, though)
What program gives the prompt
Tekway> ?

(2) The boot failure described in (1) only happens when nothing is connected to the onboard UART of the DSO5201B. Strange, but when the onboard UART is connected to the the PC (even if the terminal program on the PC does not run).
The DSO25102B ALWAYS boots normally and starts dso.exe IF the UART is connected to the the PC! Therefore, it is impossible to catch the failure condition in the UART console screen on the PC.

(3) Since I do not have the 2mm pitch female headers or connectors, I had to simply solder three wires to the onboard UART pins: GND, TXD, and RXD. The three wires with 2.54 (or 100 mil) connector now stick out from the back panel. They are always available for connecting to the CP2102 adapter. Can the wires cause such misbehaviour?

(4) I have just upgraded my firmware from 110531.1 to dst1kb_2.06.3_15202b_fact(110909.0).up. The same behaviour.

(5) Is there any boot log file saved to see at what stage the failure occurred?

And, generally, what do you think about this nuisance? Is this a defect of this particular oscilloscope? Or maybe I damaged something while hacking/testing? By the way, when I noticed failure (1), I removed the /tst file with '[filter] 45', thinking it was the reason. It did not help.
Also, it seemed to me that the oscilloscope does not boot because it is heated. Alas, that was not the case. The boot failures have been more and more frequent, and by now it does not boot at all -- without the UART connected to my PC. It is not nuisance, it is a trouble.

I have another question. 

Tinhead, you write that you have seen several makes of DSO5000. My board is green. Unfortunately, my model is different from the one for which you published complete schematic. The board I have (hardware 10070x55553e8) has the routes and holes for the Ethernet (RJ45) socket. I have a suspition the main board has all the routes for the Ethernet CS8900A-based
controller. It only needs soldering the RJ-45 and  CS8900A chip. Is this true?

Thanks in advance to everyone who responds.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #945 on: November 25, 2011, 01:43:22 am »
Hi benkev

the issue 1, 2, 3 belongs together, they actually not an issue / bug / error.
As soon "something" is connected to the Samsung SoC (S3C2440) UART, the bootloader might stop with the Tekway > prompt, this is because
the bootloader picked up "any character". The best solution is probably pull up / pul down (i don't remember exactly, what i remember someone tested it here)

The bootloader is just before any OS (and far DSO applicaton) are loaded, so it does not have anything to do with firmware version (that's for quastion 4, 5).

Tinhead, you write that you have seen several makes of DSO5000. My board is green. Unfortunately, my model is different from the one for which you published complete schematic. The board I have (hardware 10070x55553e8) has the routes and holes for the Ethernet (RJ45) socket. I have a suspition the main board has all the routes for the Ethernet CS8900A-based
controller. It only needs soldering the RJ-45 and  CS8900A chip. Is this true?

i'm working (in spare time) on the hw1007 schematics (this is the latest hw revision and exactly what you have), it will be ready before christmas :)

The Ethernet chip on hw1007 is DM9000EP, the unpopulated parts on main pcb are for an combination of rs232/LAN, however some are placed (well supposed to be)
on a separate small pcb connected to the i/o port. You will see the details as soon i published the schematics.

In principle you can use the CS8900A too, but of course then you will have "only 10mbit" instead of 100 with DM9000EP and of course
you will have to re-design the PCB which i posted some time ago (as the i/o port pinout has been changed since hw1005)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #946 on: November 25, 2011, 01:45:01 am »
Hi, folks, I'm been away for some time, but now I'm back :)
So, I have two questions/requests for now:
1) tinhead could you upload your improved English.lan as a plane file, so ppl, having UART can update without using fw updating procedure?

the english translation is now part of the original Hantek and Tekway firmwares, so no need to copy them manually anymore.

Offline benkev

« Reply #947 on: November 25, 2011, 05:14:51 am »
Hi benkev

the issue 1, 2, 3 belongs together, they actually not an issue / bug / error.
As soon "something" is connected to the Samsung SoC (S3C2440) UART, the bootloader might stop with the Tekway > prompt, this is because
the bootloader picked up "any character". The best solution is probably pull up / pul down (i don't remember exactly, what i remember someone tested it here) ...

Tinhead, thank you. This is just great. Of course, the 15cm-long wires connected to the onboard UART pins pick up significant RFI, and it sometimes is perceived by the bootloader as a character sent from outside. I soldered a simple terminator plug with two 10k resistors pulling RXD and TSD lines down to GND. With this plug on the UART's wires, my DSO5201B always boots. Tinhead, you really helped me.

...I'm working (in spare time) on the hw1007 schematics (this is the latest hw revision and exactly what you have), it will be ready before christmas :)

This is really good. (I do not know what we, ordinary people, would do without real enthusiasts like you)

The Ethernet chip on hw1007 is DM9000EP, the unpopulated parts on main pcb are for an combination of rs232/LAN, however some are placed (well supposed to be)
on a separate small pcb connected to the i/o port. You will see the details as soon i published the schematics.
In principle you can use the CS8900A too, but of course then you will have "only 10mbit" instead of 100 with DM9000EP and of course you will have to re-design the PCB which i posted some time ago (as the i/o port pinout has been changed since hw1005)

Tinhead, I mentioned  CS8900A because of the lines in the linux boot printout
"Cirrus Logic CS8900A driver for Linux (Modified for SMDK2410)"
and I decided that the driver is only for CS8900A. Good if I am wrong.

1. "The Ethernet chip on hw1007 is DM9000EP" -- do you mean DM9000EP is already present on the board?
2. For the hw1007: is an additional Ethernet board needed, or it would be enough to just solder absent parts on the main board?

Thank you.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #948 on: November 25, 2011, 05:46:45 am »

(3) Since I do not have the 2mm pitch female headers or connectors, I had to simply solder three wires to the onboard UART pins: GND, TXD, and RXD. The three wires with 2.54 (or 100 mil) connector now stick out from the back panel. They are always available for connecting to the CP2102 adapter. Can the wires cause such misbehaviour?

Yes, sure it can. Disconnect all open wires from uart port. It is extremely sensitive. 
(also these may damage port! There is not any protection and example ESD or EMI induced to wires may damage chip. Your open line is as antenna.)

Offline benkev

« Reply #949 on: November 25, 2011, 06:03:37 am »
rf-loop,
thank you for the warning.
Now I see, the RXD and TXD wires must be pulled up or down. I am going to read the web to find out, up or down, and what resistors to use. By now I decided that 10k is safe enough: ~330uA aximum to the ground will not damage the chip. If you think different, please write.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf