Author Topic: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free  (Read 2198948 times)

Offline casinada

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free
« Reply #1625 on: March 20, 2013, 10:07:53 pm »
Thank you tinhead. What is the best portable scope with isolated inputs for less than $1000 ? if there is any.

Offline carloscuev

• Regular Contributor
    • Spanish Freescale Developers Forum
« Reply #1626 on: March 20, 2013, 10:43:35 pm »
1 UNRAR files
2 Copy from folder <save_from_DSO> file dst1kb_2.06.3_15102b_fact(130114.0).up to FLASH storage
3 Plug flash disk in DSO, run firmware upgrade

Thank you very much for easying the procedure, however, for the second part I had to rename the file to dst1kb_2.06.3_15102b_fact(999999.9).up as it was telling me that no update files were found. Interestingly, the first one worked wth the original filename and working with 130306.0 fw

Regards the factory calibration, in case you don't have stable source then don't do anything on that.
Simply run the self calibration and your fine.

Hi again tinhead, about the calibration, as I remember in some post, it is better to do it in Equ-Time setting right? Along with about 1 hour warm up, or it was valid only for the factory calibration?

Offline tinheadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #1627 on: March 20, 2013, 10:47:00 pm »
Hi again tinhead, about the calibration, as I remember in some post, it is better to do it in Equ-Time setting right? Along with about 1 hour warm up, or it was valid only for the factory calibration?

it was better, but since some time EQU-time mode is not working at all, so no matter what you select you always in real time mode.
For the warm up, 15-30 mins are good enough.
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline carloscuev

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1628 on: March 20, 2013, 11:52:19 pm »
it was better, but since some time EQU-time mode is not working at all, so no matter what you select you always in real time mode.
For the warm up, 15-30 mins are good enough.

Done. Everytime I update my scope I feel a bit like it's brand new haha, thanks for letting us know about each new update!

Cheers!

Offline walt

• Contributor
« Reply #1629 on: March 21, 2013, 09:48:44 am »
I had to rename the file to dst1kb_2.06.3_15102b_fact(999999.9).up as it was telling me that no update files were found.

rename *.rbf file to dn.rbf
For example, dn_hw1007_83E9_date111122.rbf to dn.rbf
rbf-file is FPGA configuration file, is not the DSO full firmware- is just the part of its.
DSO update onli from file like  dst1kb_xxxxx_15102b_fact(xxxxxx).up

You must put 2 file to FLASH storage for upgrade *.rbf file
- command file - dst1kb_2.06.3_15102b_fact(130114.0).up (from folder  <load_in_DSO> )
- FPGA file - dn.rbf
not only dn.rbf

Offline carloscuev

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1630 on: March 21, 2013, 01:17:23 pm »
rename *.rbf file to dn.rbf
For example, dn_hw1007_83E9_date111122.rbf to dn.rbf

Yes I did it that way, in the flash card were both files, that's why it seemed strange to me. As soon as I renamed the *.up it worked.

Offline Mike Warren

• Supporter
    • Personal Website
« Reply #1631 on: March 22, 2013, 04:29:08 am »
Are there any known problems with the pass/fail testing using the latest firmware?

My scope crashes after the test is running anywhere between a few seconds and a few minutes.

Oh, and is it normal that when a crash happens all settings revert back to the defaults?

Offline snowl

• Contributor
« Reply #1632 on: March 22, 2013, 06:14:42 am »
Oh, and is it normal that when a crash happens all settings revert back to the defaults?

Yes, I think that's normal. In the past there were problems with corrupt settings after a crash. In these cases the scope wouldn't start at all (immediate crash after startup). To prevent that, the watchdog Process (dsod) will delete the settings before restarting the scope when the dso.exe stops responding.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1633 on: March 22, 2013, 07:24:12 am »
Are there any known problems with the pass/fail testing using the latest firmware?
My scope crashes after the test is running anywhere between a few seconds and a few minutes.

not on my test DSO, i will try another one and let you know.
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline snowl

• Contributor
« Reply #1634 on: March 22, 2013, 01:01:15 pm »
I just installed the latest firmware onto my Voltcraft DSO-1062D.
I had also one crash in pass/fail (after a few seconds) but after a second reboot it worked (I just checked for a few minutes with cound >1050).

My problem with the tracking cursors is gone (In stopped Aquisition, the cursors where off curve after changing V/Div or Sec/Div), they now adjust to the changed curve when the cursor is moved after a change..

@tinhead: Do you have a current firmware_buglist for us?

Offline Mike Warren

• Supporter
    • Personal Website
« Reply #1635 on: March 22, 2013, 02:06:29 pm »
I bought my scope home tonight and tested the pass/fail again. Firstly, it ran for 3 hours and didn't fail. I started it again and it failed after about an hour. Next time it failed after about 45 minutes, and then 5 minutes.

Earlier today, when I started getting these crashes, the scope had been running about 5 hours. I could get it to fail within a few seconds, sometimes, and a maximum time of 5 minutes. I'm wondering if temperature is a contributing factor.

I've only have this scope for about a week and it's averaging 2 crashes per day, and I'm only doing simple stuff with it. The crashes seem to be completely random, except it seems to be always while I'm adjusting something.

These crashes are generally just an annoyance, but a crash on pass/fail testing make the function completely useless.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 09:17:32 pm by Mike Warren »

Offline brainwash

• Frequent Contributor
    • Hack Correlation
« Reply #1636 on: March 22, 2013, 05:25:42 pm »
I just noticed an annoying bug/feature: whenever I adjust the timescale I have to do it slowly, one click at a time, otherwise the knob rotation gets ignored. I'm trying to figure out exactly how to reproduce this because it know seems to be working fine.
I remember I had 30Mhz sine wave on ch1, autoset, trigger with noise reject, 100-200 mV/div, 2-20ns/div, split screen with measure, 4k mem depth, realtime sampling. It took 1 to 4 seconds to update the timebase and it only worked if I did it one click at a time.
I don't know, maybe it's possible to go "under" the scale with the knob and then it takes a few clicks to come back to the minimum timebase position? I was frantically searching for the waveform with the rotary button and noticed that the timebase does not change at all.
Anyway, not a very helpful description, I'll try to come up with a reproducible scenario.
SW 2.06.3 (130131.0) HW 10070x555583eb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1637 on: March 22, 2013, 05:51:54 pm »
SW 2.06.3 (130131.0) HW 10070x555583eb

it would be nice if you would update to the latest fw version (which is 130306.0), honestly i and HanTekway
as well is ignoring ANY bugs in older firmare versions (as most of them already fixed).

Offline condor

• Contributor
« Reply #1638 on: March 22, 2013, 10:05:04 pm »
Hey guys ... success! Upgraded my DSO 5xxx from 83E8 to 83E9 111122,rbf. Thanks for the scripts, worked as exactly as described; DSO @ firmware 130306.0

Offline Mike Warren

• Supporter
    • Personal Website
« Reply #1639 on: March 22, 2013, 10:32:53 pm »
Does anyone have 2.06.3 (120927.1) they can supply me? I'd like to do some comparisons. (I assume I'll be able to load an earlier version if I rename it to look like it's a later one)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1640 on: March 22, 2013, 11:15:11 pm »
Does anyone have 2.06.3 (120927.1) they can supply me? I'd like to do some comparisons. (I assume I'll be able to load an earlier version if I rename it to look like it's a later one)

i don't have that version

not on my test DSO, i will try another one and let you know.

the last 4+ hours, two DSOs - a Tekway DST1202B and Voltcraft DSO-162B, both with 130306.0 firmware loaded,
both with 1kHz test signal applied - exact same setup as your and no crash (actually funny to see the event
counter starting after some poi nt again from 0 - without any problem).

So no idea, i can play with knobs, do whatever i wish to do and no such problems (i've noticed one time a strange
slow knob reaction which was gone after reboot).
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 11:20:14 pm by tinhead »

Offline Mike Warren

• Supporter
    • Personal Website
« Reply #1641 on: March 22, 2013, 11:24:19 pm »
What's the nearest version to to that you have that you considered reasonably stable?

Offline Mike Warren

• Supporter
    • Personal Website
« Reply #1642 on: March 22, 2013, 11:29:28 pm »
the last 4+ hours, two DSOs - a Tekway DST1202B and Voltcraft DSO-162B, both with 130306.0 firmware loaded,
both with 1kHz test signal applied - exact same setup as your and no crash (actually funny to see the event

Strange. I've also had a PM form someone else who was able to duplicate my test, so that's at least 3. I thought I was going mad last night when I couldn't get it to play up for so long after it failing so regularly during the day.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1643 on: March 22, 2013, 11:51:05 pm »

Strange. I've also had a PM form someone else who was able to duplicate my test, so that's at least 3. I thought I was going mad last night when I couldn't get it to play up for so long after it failing so regularly during the day.

and still, we have to find a setup or something common which can be then replicated.
So let's start with me, both DSOs loaded with 130306.0, the Tekway is hw0 so this is not 100% exact the same hardware
to compare, but the Voltcraft is hw1007, brand new, with 83EB FPGA design. Now your DSO, what is the first number of
the serial? (asking because Tekway is not producing DSOs with this particular enclosure since some time), the FPGA
design i assume you loaded 83E9, right?

EDIT: hehe,  murphy's law just got me, 16 thousand something and boom, reboot :P
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 11:54:06 pm by tinhead »

Offline carloscuev

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1644 on: March 23, 2013, 12:08:06 am »

That was me :) I was ashamed I didn't know for what does PASS/FAIL was for haha, but now it doesn't matter because now I do. Thanks again Mike for the explanation.

Great feature, too bad it doesn't work in this version. Looking forward to use it as much as possible.

BTW. My scope (HW0) also resets settings when it reboots :(

Offline Mike Warren

• Supporter
    • Personal Website
« Reply #1645 on: March 23, 2013, 06:39:57 am »
Now your DSO, what is the first number of the serial? (asking because Tekway is not producing DSOs with this particular enclosure since some time), the FPGA
design i assume you loaded 83E9, right?

I guess it's not too important any more, but:
Hardware: 10070x555583e9
Serial: T 1G/012 005xxx

Offline walt

• Contributor
« Reply #1646 on: March 23, 2013, 01:49:45 pm »
it would be nice if you would update to the latest fw version (which is 130306.0)
with pleasure, but the Hantek site has only dst1kb_2.06.3_15102b_fact(130114.0) version  :(

Offline carloscuev

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1647 on: March 23, 2013, 01:57:48 pm »
it would be nice if you would update to the latest fw version (which is 130306.0)
with pleasure, but the Hantek site has only dst1kb_2.06.3_15102b_fact(130114.0) version  :(

3 days ago, tinhead shared that version:

and here the latest DSO firmware (for following DSOs only):

- Tekway DST1062B, DST1102B, DST1202B
 - Hantek DSO5062B, DSO5102B, DSO5202B
 - Voltcraft DSO3062C, DSO1062D
 - PCE DSOs: PCE-DSO5062B, PCE-DSO5102B, PCE-DSO5202B

http://www.mikrocontroller.net/topic/205820?goto=3094416#3094416

Feedback as always welcome!

Offline walt

• Contributor
« Reply #1648 on: March 23, 2013, 05:09:16 pm »
3 days ago, tinhead shared that version:

sorry, was inattentive

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1649 on: March 23, 2013, 07:53:32 pm »
Some ppl got during the firmware update an unexpected errof

"Error 0xfb "failed to decompress file"

On the shell you can see then "tar: Write Error: No space left on device"

As the firmware is getting bigger and bigger (the org was something about 1MB, now more than 4MB + more libs, etc)
it make sense to delete some unused files.

However, first of all please check content of the /mnt directory, sometimes - when the DSO didn't recgnize properly
that flash drive has been removed - it writes to NAND instead to flash drive. So whatever you find there, delete it.

The there are some other files which can be removed:

/sbin/madplay
/sbin/led
/sbin/led-player
/sbin/boa
/usr/bin/spcacat
/usr/bin/servfox
/usr/bin/adc_test
/usr/bin/buttons

It should be now already enough space, finally you can remove (or move temp. to flash drive)
these two DSO custom files:

/dso/app/testacq
/dso/app/getdata

Now you should have 50-66% on NAND used, the firmware update must work now.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf