Author Topic: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free  (Read 2189839 times)

Offline tinheadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
Re: Another one china DSO hack - 200MHz
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2010, 12:07:20 am »
attached hack/tools zips ... (updated Nov 28th)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 10:36:37 am by tinhead »
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
Re: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2010, 11:34:27 am »
Just perusing tinheads post, again, awesome!  :D

He's changed my view of the Hantek/Tekway completely.  A worthy equivalent to the Rigol hack threads for higher bandwidth scopes.

Thank you!
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2010, 03:52:28 pm »
and again.. sorry if i miss something... where can get this hackable DSO model? still didnt show up in my ebay :( ...can the hack update... be updated in the 1st post for ease of referencing? (just a suggestion) as i said.. i may have missed something due to lack of supply. :-\
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline g***!

• Contributor
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2010, 06:00:18 pm »
and again.. sorry if i miss something... where can get this hackable DSO model? still didnt show up in my ebay :( ...can the hack update... be updated in the 1st post for ease of referencing? (just a suggestion) as i said.. i may have missed something due to lack of supply. :-\

I bought mine from GoodLuckBuy.com (Hantek DSO5102B)

Offline dfnr2

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2010, 02:48:54 am »
Very interesting.  I'm looking for a scope to fill in while I repair my workhorse scope, a Lecroy 9834 with no video.  I had just been about to pull the trigger on the $415 Instek 1062A, or the $800 big brother 1102A.

This thread caught my eye.  Do you care to do a review on the Hantek scope?  In particular, can this scope be controlled via the USB port?  One thing that I like about the Instek is that it has a documented programming interface, and you can interface it to your own software (such as NI Labview, or Python/VISA).  Does the Tekway have a similar interface?

How does the triggering, display, etc. compare?  How is the brightness/crispness/viewing angle?

Also, anyone had experience ordering from Goodluckbuy.com to the US?  How long did it take?

Many thanks!

Dave
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 03:06:39 am by dfnr2 »

Offline .o:0|O|0:o.

• Regular Contributor
  • Where is Higgs Boson?
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2010, 03:05:16 am »
Is the Tekway Chinese?

.o:0|O|0:o.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2010, 03:57:53 pm »
Is the Tekway Chinese?

.o:0|O|0:o.

yes it is
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2010, 07:10:56 pm »
This thread caught my eye.  Do you care to do a review on the Hantek scope?  In particular, can this scope be controlled via the USB port?  

One thing that I like about the Instek is that it has a documented programming interface, and you can interface
it to your own software (such as NI Labview, or Python/VISA).  Does the Tekway have a similar interface?

How does the triggering, display, etc. compare?  How is the brightness/crispness/viewing angle?

Oki, small Hantek DSO5202B/DSO5102B/DSO5062B - Tekway DST1062B/DST1102B/DST1202B review.

Display :

The DSO is using InnoLux 7" TFT (AT070TN83 V1) with LED backlight,
It is a good display wth high contrast/brightness and do have anti glare.
Viewing angle is 6 o'clock, no differences to 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock. Only in 12 o'clock isn't that good (see display datasheet for more information)
The DSO is using native resolution (800x480), no double/quad pixeling tricks like with UNI-T CEL series.

A very good thing is the DPO-like display persitency, from 0.2s to infinite (Instek Accumulate is like infinite persistency on Hantek/Tekway, so no compare)

There is additionaly TFT refresh rate selectable between 30, 40, 50 aud automatic (which is i think 20 or less) frames/sec.
You can "see and feel" the refresh speed and the waveform changes.

Menu:

Menu on the right side can be switched on/off (in single window mode), it is always on in double window mode.
Menu-speed is fast, a little-bit slower in long memory mode but still ok (this is new in current firmware version, it was amazing slow in fw 2.05.x)

Trigger:

All standard triggers available :
Edge (Falling/Rising)
Pulse (Pos/Neg, "<" ">" "=" "!=", 20ns to 10s pulse width)
Video (All/Odd/Even/LineNumber/AllLines - PAL/SECAM/NTSC)
Slope ("<" ">" "=" "!=", Time and V/sec scale)
Over Time (Pos/Neg, 20ns to 10s)
Alternate (Edge, Pulse, Over Time, Video trigegr per chan available)

Of course all triggers have additialy LF reject, HF reject, Noise reject, AC or DC coupling options
and Ext, Ext/5, AC50

Autoset have additionaly multicycle / singlecycle rising/falling edge waveformtriggers.

Memory :

Sample memory can be switched between 4k, 40k, 512k or 1M (in real time sampling mode) up to 200µs time base (2ms record time)
It will change automatically to 512k in 200µs and higer time base if you in run mode.
In eq. sampling mode you can't change sample memory, however it seems to be using the real time sampling mode values.

Currently there is funny firmware bug (fw 2.06.2), with some specific combination of run&stop/single/time base change/memory length
the DSO is showing wrong data. This means don't use single shot with long memory (everything over 40k) in higher time base than 200µs.
Run/Stop is displaying proper data, single shot too as long you don't change time base. I did send a error log/description to Hantek/Tekway today.

Zoom in double window mode up to 1000x, with holdoff 100ns to 10s. You can set multiple markers, switch or play between markers.
Not sure if the Zoom is more like Rigol or more like Instek (see instek review), wating for some screenshots from Instek users
to compare it - however it would be hard to compare due dual window function available on Hantek/Tekway devices.

Math/FFT:

only CH1+CH2, CH1-CH2, CH2-CH1, CH1xCH2 available.

FFT only Hanning, Flatop and Rectangular with zoom x1 to x10.

In FFT mode no long time memory available anylonger in fw 2.06.2, it was before but i would say good change,
because the DSO wasn't really responsible in FFT with 1m memory mode.

Math/FFT in dual or single window mode available

Measure menu:

11 values can be measured (Freq,Period, Mean, Pk-Pk, Cycl. RMS, Min, Max, Rise time, Fall Time, Pos Width, Neg Width)
however only 8 displayed at same time.

Cursor:

In dual or single window mode available, Time or Voltage but not both at same time.

Other:

Timescale 2ns to 40s, i wish 1ns would be available (instek 1ns to 50s)
Avarage sample 4/8/16/32/64/128 (instek have 2 and 256 too)
XY mode with dual window available (XY and XY atr same time)
Ref. A or B can be only saved to internal memory, setup localy or USB, waveforms to USB only.
CSV export currently only 40k samples, more only via PC software.
The DSO is fanless, however you can add fan if you like, there is everythign prepared for.

Programming:

Well, all functions can be controlled via USB, but there is no SDK published yet (scheduled for end of Jan 2011).

Also, anyone had experience ordering from Goodluckbuy.com to the US?  How long did it take?

ask user g***!, i got my directly from Tekway but from what i understood it was a week (?)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 08:13:51 pm by tinhead »

Offline g***!

• Contributor
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2010, 07:58:58 pm »

Many thanks!

Dave

Hi there Dave!

My buying experience was as follows:

From initial order to dispatch was 5 days (probably waiting on stock)
Transit time was 6 days, I'm not in US, but from looking on the website US delivery is typically about 5 days....hope this helps!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2010, 09:56:21 pm »
And here some pictures of Hantek DSO5102B ( thx g***! )

Interessting that some components has been changed (input and trigger circuit) between my
old Tekway (which is very early version) and current Hantek.

All JTAG and I/O extender port pin headers are not soldered, only UART port still there.

All ADCs got now small heatsink.

EDIT : as reported some ppl got heating/death chan issues in the past because of missing heatsink's on ADCs.
I'm not a friend of fanless devices, so i never got any issue because my very early device have small fan.

If you bought a Hantek/Tekway DSO without heatsink on ADCs, send it back! That's probably old stock
and the distributor have to send you a new one.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 01:56:16 am by tinhead »

Offline kramer

« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2010, 10:34:42 pm »

Many thanks!

Dave
Hi everyone!
Same question - different destination ;)

Anyone had experience ordering from Goodluckbuy.com to Germany?  How long did it take?

Many thanks!

kramer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2010, 11:35:38 pm »
Same question - different destination ;)
Anyone had experience ordering from Goodluckbuy.com to Germany?  How long did it take?

Ich ...

... not DSO but other things. I did selected DHL (was about 20$ extra fee) and got my items within 8 days (due Customs),
normally it should be up to 5 day only ...

Offline app-note

« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2010, 10:32:17 am »
Excellent step-by-step guide ! I could convince my buddy to sacrifice his Tekway DST1102B for a tear-down and patch session over the weekend.
That's the kind of learning experience I am missing in class.
Tinhead, can you shed some light on how you managed to extract the gpg key ? Might be of interest to other projects as well.

Offline dfnr2

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2010, 10:34:47 am »
Great!  Have you by any chance tried out the USB port on the back?  With the drivers installed, does it look like a serial port? Does it implement an SCPI command subset?  

Also, a question about the responsiveness.  I am borrowing a Tek TDS 2024B, and I'm kind of disapointed in the sluggish response to adjustments and button pushes, and the weak passive LCD screen.

Regards,

Dave

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2010, 01:55:48 pm »
Tinhead, can you shed some light on how you managed to extract the gpg key ? Might be of interest to other projects as well.

If I told you it I'd have to shoot you ...

Before i did any debugging i did checked every binary for "tekway" string (to find out which of them are proprietary).
The first match in gpg was the hash key, so there was no need to disassemble/debug the gpg binary anylonger
.. look at the screenshot.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 04:35:08 pm by tinhead »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2010, 03:30:02 pm »
Great!  Have you by any chance tried out the USB port on the back?  With the drivers installed, does it look like a serial port? Does it implement an SCPI command subset?  

hard to answer, the PC driver seems to be proprietary partially based on cypress ezusb bulk (but there is no ezusb chip,
(so they just copy/pasted too much ...), service description SvcDesc="Hantek usbtmc".

"usbtmc" looks good for me, but i wasn't able to do anything with it.

I think we have to wait until the SDK (and probably new driver) has been released.

Also, a question about the responsiveness. 

it is very fast with fw 2.06.2, with lower fw versions was depends on which menu and sample/memory settings between "real time" and "real death"

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2010, 01:12:46 pm »
Currently there is funny firmware bug (fw 2.06.2), with some specific combination of run&stop/single/time base change/memory length
the DSO is showing wrong data. This means don't use single shot with long memory (everything over 40k) in higher time base than 200µs.
Run/Stop is displaying proper data, single shot too as long you don't change time base. I did send a error log/description to Hantek/Tekway today.

got nice answer, Hantek/Tekway will release asap updated firmware. Btw, they already aware about this hack ^^

Offline dfnr2

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2010, 04:13:58 pm »
Well, I needed a scope this week, so although I had been leaning toward the instek before finding this thread, I decided to go with the Hantek unit, in part due to the higher bandwidth, and bigger screen at a cheaper price.  I'll post my thoughts in the review section once I've had time to play with it.

I ordered mine from Emtesco/Morton Controls in Colorado.   They appear to be the US official distributor for these Hantek scopes, and also stock some other interesting cheap scopes: https://www.mortoncontrols.com/index.php?main_page=index.  BTW, it sounds as if they will be offering some Black Friday deals on these units.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2010, 04:37:34 pm »
Pray tell, what is your final price like, after S&H, and taxes?

Well, I needed a scope this week, so although I had been leaning toward the instek before finding this thread, I decided to go with the Hantek unit, in part due to the higher bandwidth, and bigger screen at a cheaper price.  I'll post my thoughts in the review section once I've had time to play with it.

I ordered mine from Emtesco/Morton Controls in Colorado.   They appear to be the US official distributor for these Hantek scopes, and also stock some other interesting cheap scopes: https://www.mortoncontrols.com/index.php?main_page=index.  BTW, it sounds as if they will be offering some Black Friday deals on these units.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline dfnr2

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2010, 06:02:24 pm »
Pray tell, what is your final price like, after S&H, and taxes?

I needed the scope this week (couldn't wait for the Black Friday sale) so I ordered the 100MHz DSO5102B.  It was $630, plus $37 for 2-day shipping, so total $667. No tax since I'm in Texas. Of course, ground shipping would have been much cheaper.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 06:04:16 pm by dfnr2 »

Offline Adama

« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2010, 08:40:22 am »
@tinhead,

(Servus) ;-)

As you are the mastermind re. this hack and the scopes involved, what type of scope would you choose/recommend for someone like me, who is just about to buy a new scope (with limited budget but bigger amibitions ;-) ) ?
Hantek, Tekway ???

My understanding aber reading the entire thread is that the tekway offers the better screen and resolution, but the innards seem to be all the same?

Any comment and suggestions are highly appreciated!

Kind regards,

Adama
(from probably one of the most southern parts of Germany) ;D

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2010, 12:51:40 pm »

what type of scope would you choose/recommend for someone like me, who is just about to buy a new scope ith limited budget

i don't know you needs, so i can't recommend anything.

As you from Germany please check first this link

http://www.mikrocontroller.net/articles/Oszilloskop

(for those who don't speak german, that's article describing scope types, the diffs - for all those who don't know what they have to look for)

My understanding aber reading the entire thread is that the tekway offers the better screen and resolution, but the innards seem to be all the same?

The "innards" that's just a piece of electronic parts, with same parts you can build a lightsaber, scope or coffeemaker.
Talking about DSOs innards, even it they "same" without software they still not doing anything special.

Tekway/Hantek are 100% identical, just because both companys belongs to same shareholder,
so no matter which of them you take, it would be still the same.

Tekway/Hantek input and trigger circuit is almost same as Rigol is using, so no matter which of them you take,
you still have same input/trigger quality (at least from hardware point of view)

The major difference between Rigol and HanTekway is display, some features in firmware and the UI responsible µC.
I've choose HanTekway because of the diff's, other ppl might don't need bigger display or more DPO-like functionality
but need USB-GPIB adapter, so they will take Rigol.

About the competitors (UNI-T, ATTEN) - well, almost everythign said already, they cheaper - not only in price - but
that's still not a no go for some ppl, everything depends on needs and budget.

Again, as you from Germany, read this :

http://www.martin-lauff.de/utd-2052cel.html

Loser of the day
comment on hackaday :
The was a lot of reports on EE forums from people feeling greedy and getting Tekway instead
of more trusted brand, a lot of Tekway scopes lose a channel or two after couple weeks of usage

... this guy probably worry about his cheap-dso store ... it could be easier for him to ask
Hantek/Tekway for some devices to continue business instead of talking crap ...
Afaik there is no single evidence (at least google don't know any, not even in china) about tekway and broken/losed channels.

i got badly busted :P Indeed some people having early devices got heating issues.
I told Tekway months ago, this can be potential issue, but they send me typical "cost-saver-answer" :

“The components we used in this DSO is industrial level, so these conponents can be worked well under the temperature you tested. For example the AD9288-100, work well under 75°. Of course we have reserved the interface for fan supply, but not used in this series. We have considerd about the situation when the DSO running without the fan. It could be worked well. But we will add the fan in the future if our clients need”

It is good to see that Hantek/Tekway learned and finally installed small heatsinks on ADCs - a combination of overclocked ADC without heatsink and fanless power supply producing additionally lot of heat was not a good idea.

My very early DSO got small fan long time ago, i'm not a friend of component stress because of production-cost saving efforts,
so i never got any issues. I think i will install some small heatsink on ADCs too, like on the new Hantek/Tekway revisions.

So be warned : If you bought a Hantek/Tekway DSO without heatsink on ADCs, send it back! That's probably old stock
and the distributor have to send you a new one.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 02:20:03 am by tinhead »

Offline dfnr2

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2010, 08:23:18 am »
Emtesco (https://www.mortoncontrols.com/) is having a Black Friday sale on the Hantek scopes (and also on the Rigols).  Since I had ordered the 100 MHz DSO5102B just before the sale, they were kind enough to send me the 200 MHz version DSO5202B, since the sale price is about what I paid.

I have looked over the scope.  No real surprises having seen the pics posted here.  The screen is nice, and the scope is responsive and easy to use, and for a brand new 200 MHz scope, the price can't be beat.  I think there is certainly room for improvement in the firmware.  I wonder how responsive Tekway/Hantek will be to customer suggestions.  My alternative to this was getting the 100 MHz Instek.  The Instek does have some advantages for serious users, but the Hantek could easily have the same advantages with some straightforward firmware enhancements, if they choose to do so.

Overall, I'm pleased with this scope so far.  I will post some thoughts on the unit after I have played with it for a few days.

Offline g***!

• Contributor
« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2010, 03:36:59 pm »
Hi there Dave! 
Good for you, landing the 200Mhz version.
What software version is it running? I think when the little flaws are ironed out of the software, it will turn into quite a nice scope!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2010, 03:44:26 am »
removed ....
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 10:48:41 am by tinhead »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf