Author Topic: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free  (Read 2189911 times)

Offline tinheadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
Re: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free
« Reply #175 on: January 24, 2011, 11:47:54 pm »
On my unit the measure and cursor buttons have to be pressed about twice as hard as all the other ones.

disassemble the unit, maybe there is a piece of whatever inbetween.

The ch2 position knob protrudes about 2mm more than the ch1 knob, it was glued (or is stuck) to far out on its shaft.

they normally not glued, you can remove them easily.

The TTScope software shows the not very informative message "5" upon clicking the connect button in Vista (in VMWare Fusion, will try on native windows).

first the driver need to work, then of course the communication with DSO need to work.
The driver works in vmware, however sometimes timing seems to have issues (unexpected disconnect from DSO).
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #176 on: January 24, 2011, 11:58:39 pm »
Btw, That TTScope software is slow as hell... Pointless except of using for steady signal screenshots... Like on every scope :) I wonder if the scope has LAN expand module, what software does it support?

right, it is slow. I'm not sure if LAN module would made it faster, as for now not sure if the app itself is not sending enough updates to PC or
the PC software is just not able to update screen faster.

If you click on something within the software, the change is immediate on DSO side (but delayed on PC side), so communication PC-> DSO is slow because of PC side - but this still didn't means that DSO-> PC is fast enough.

Originaly Tekway planed to produce LAN Addon board, no idea if this will be ever produced.
For now i'm working on such board, but of course this will be only piece of hardware. USB -> Ethernet redirector driver need to be written too
to allow communication/remote control over LAN (or maybe just "SCPI" <-> DSO translator)

I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline sliverstorm

« Reply #177 on: January 25, 2011, 05:14:08 am »

The TTScope software shows the not very informative message "5" upon clicking the connect button in Vista (in VMWare Fusion, will try on native windows).

This can be fixed by adding a measurement to the workspace before hitting the connect button.

Offline campodea

• Contributor
« Reply #178 on: January 25, 2011, 08:14:00 am »
On my unit the measure and cursor buttons have to be pressed about twice as hard as all the other ones.

disassemble the unit, maybe there is a piece of whatever inbetween.

I will have a look sometime, but right now I'm ok with pressing them a little harder...

The ch2 position knob protrudes about 2mm more than the ch1 knob, it was glued (or is stuck) to far out on its shaft.

they normally not glued, you can remove them easily.

True they are not glued. Removed the knob today and scraped away some plastic inside it -> now it goes all the way in.

Regarding TTScope I got this e-mail:

I discoverd your TTscope hang with the DSO.
I read it in the Eevblog. I wanted to post the answer but i cannot access the
blog most of the time because of DNS propagation again, I suppose.
So here is the issue: Hantek used to deliver bad TTscope and I found that the
TTscope from DSO5202B CDRom works well with DSO5102B. I reported the issue to
Hantek who will correct it with new shipments.
You will receive a link from NextSend server to download new TTscope version.
Follow the instructions and read our bugs report.

Thank you.
Kind regards,
Pascal Geyre
Elec3i
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 01:08:50 pm by campodea »

Offline Scrts

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #179 on: January 26, 2011, 04:58:25 pm »
Hacked mine. Added cooler inside, which is already annoying :'(, so thinking about on/off button. Firstly connected through UART, changed all the model names as described (dst1102b->dst1202b), restarted and it showed me DSO5102B logo, so I have ran firmware update with DSO5202B firmware which was complete successfully. Restart showed logo with DSO5202B ;D

Offline baldrick9

« Reply #180 on: January 27, 2011, 05:20:04 am »
Woohoo - just received my Hantek DSO5102B from goodluckbuy.com (via eBay). Dunno why anyone would pay more than double to buy from the Australian distributor. Maybe warranty? support? something...  but I don't think it's worth more than double the price.

Having said that... The scope's a little bit grubby around some buttons, but not worn - I thought it might be *used*, but upon closer examination I now think not. Perhaps the dealer was just testing/configuring it. Firmware shows as 2.06.2.  Hmmm should I hack it?

Mine has already locked up once - while doing a simple measurement. Maybe it was user error. I'll see if it happens again.

Offline pgup62

• Contributor
    • Elec3i Instrumentation et automatisme
« Reply #181 on: January 27, 2011, 02:39:28 pm »
Dear baldrick9,
IT is very simple :
Chinese from HongKong or Shenzhen used to deliver with prices that is large enough for them. Another thing is that VAT is not charged but your custom should inquire you in a while. I don't know why people don't understand this. When we sell from Europe to Europe, VAT is charged either by the retailer or the customer, it depends of some VAT policies. For ELec3i, our policy is the VAT is charged for us and not charged by the customer. In the case of a purchase from China, individuals will be charged by their country customs plus other fees, this can be 20 percents of the the purchase price. So you can calculate easily:
if you bought from Goodluckbuy (I hope you are a lucky guy ;D). let us say 480 eur, add 20% then you get 576 eur ! Elec3i price is 549 - 30 = 519 eur!!!
After what about Goodluckbuy service ? (warranty, repair department, online service ?) Did you get a commercial invoice ? In case of repairing do you plan to send the device back to China ? Wow, never forget anything and compare the comparable.... ;)
Cheers

Offline Scrts

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #182 on: January 27, 2011, 07:39:10 pm »
I have chosen to void the warranty... Whatever :) I could reupload the previous firmware and send it back to hantek if something happens, but seems like all of the parts inside (FPGA/uC/ADC/etc) are orderable and still in production, so it is possible to change them myself.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #183 on: January 27, 2011, 07:59:36 pm »
I have chosen to void the warranty... Whatever :) I could reupload the previous firmware and send it back to hantek if something happens, but seems like all of the parts inside (FPGA/uC/ADC/etc) are orderable and still in production, so it is possible to change them myself.

right, and as soon i'm ready with complette schematics you would be able to trace the potential error.

There is only one exception - CPLD is copy protected and we don't have/knwo what inside. So whatever you do, don't destroy CPLD :)

Offline Scrts

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #184 on: January 27, 2011, 09:04:16 pm »
So You're reverse engineering the schematics? Afaik the PCB is not 2 layered, so it is pretty hard  :-\

Offline baldrick9

« Reply #185 on: January 28, 2011, 03:07:26 am »
In Australia GST (VAT) is not applied to imported shipments valued less than $1,000 AUD i.e when an individual buys from eBay etc.. Electronic test equipment doesn't incur import duty. So I'm not expecting to hear from customs. Maybe this is lucky, compared to other countries. The scope cost me a total of $693 (AUD) including DHL shipping. I understand that I have little-to-no chance of warranty support, but I'm not prepared to pay more than double to get warranty support, that I may not need (it's like insurance - it should not double the price!).

On a more technical note.. my firmware seems to be the slightly newer 2.06.2 (101108.0) - but not the latest 2.06.3

So maybe the only way to hack will be the original way via JTAG or UART?

Sliverstorm - I noticed you had the same version as me and had a problem updating the firmware - how did you fix it? Did you just use the JTAG method?

Thanks to tinhead and all for this thread - it's great stuff!

Offline pgup62

• Contributor
« Reply #186 on: January 28, 2011, 11:26:01 am »
Dear baldrick9,
AUD 693 = EUR 502, not double price anyway compared to our european price (519 + shipping Europe < EUR 545) ;)
There will be on the market (Elec3i) LAN and WIFI add-ons for your DSO5000 series (DSO5202B, DSO5102B, DSO5062C). We will retrofit our DSO stock and can do for customers who need to. According to Hantek, the communication speed will be increased compared to the USB link, but for now we have no idea for the real speed. We will report this later. Another thing is that we should be a Hantek repairing center for Europe (to be confirmed in a while). This can be nice for people who don't want to return their scopes to China (Expensive shipping + custom troubles, etc.). We already repair DSO1000 series for people who didn buy from us.  8)

Offline Scrts

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #187 on: January 28, 2011, 12:59:17 pm »
Thats nice pgup62! Are You planning to sell WiFi expansion modules separately? What software support Ethernet/WiFi modules?

Offline pgup62

• Contributor
« Reply #188 on: January 28, 2011, 01:15:04 pm »
Yes this is a possibility for people who want to do by themselves for either Lan and Wifi boards. we will give precisions later and post prices in our website.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #189 on: January 28, 2011, 01:34:05 pm »
DONT BUY FROM THEM ! I WILL BE CHEAPER!

hehe, just joking guys. I did ordered some PCBs and was about to announce the production,
but if Elec3i will sell them too (as manufacturer supported version) i will throw my PCBs into trash.

Manufacturer supported is probably better, and i would be not that much cheaper than they,
so no loss at all for you guys.

Offline Chasm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #190 on: January 28, 2011, 01:55:31 pm »
And so they get back at you for the bandwidth hack. 8)

Offline Scrts

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #191 on: January 28, 2011, 02:43:14 pm »
hehe, just joking guys. I did ordered some PCBs and was about to announce the production,
but if Elec3i will sell them too (as manufacturer supported version) i will throw my PCBs into trash.

Don't :) What if manufacturers modules will be crap? :P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #192 on: January 31, 2011, 01:15:25 am »
before i change my mine, how many of you guys would buy such LAN-addon board right now?

The price is not calculated yet, so let's just use dummy number 50USD.

Offline Regnirps

« Reply #193 on: January 31, 2011, 02:52:10 am »
@Zinahe

if you ever heard about "chinese piece of crap", then it was one of such famous things like the UNI-T CEL.

This is one of these management decision devices, not a new design, just a new display, cheap interpolation (actually not interpolation, 4 pixels will be displayed as one) on a cheap 480x234 display. So what is the resolution ? Exact 240 x 120 ...

So no, don't compare it and no there is nothing "similar" (just think about 7' BMW and VW Golf ..  both are cars - you can drive both but you should not compare). For sure some ppl will buy UNI-T, but to be very honest Rigol is cheaper (and with some luck you hack it)
is having 320x240 resolution and light years better than the UNI-T.

About a hcak possibility : UNI-T is like Rigol FPGA + DSP based - the most critical thing is to hack the DSP firmware. Just check the Rigol thread and you will see it can be possible but only if the manufacturer was too lazy ... If you have a chance to get both 100 and i don't know 60MHz? you can try to compare firmwares .. but that's a lot of work, time and it costs some money.

Hello Tinhead. I have a dozen of these Uni-T scopes as we were thinking of selling them. I would like to examine the inside and can not see how they come apart. Did you get one open without damaging it?

The scopes you have been playing with sound more appropriate since I sell and support all the Mini2440/Mini6410 products. They even use the same Innolux LCD as the FriendlyARM 7" systems. We will be shipping from Hong Kong or Shenzhen to Seattle by sea very soon which will cut our incoming shipping costs considerably. The 6410 would be a nice choice for these. The VFP could make quick work of bigger FFT jobs.

By the way, I wonder if the pixel doubling in some of the Uni-T is less of a cheap upgrade and more of a misguided attempt to have the "look" of the early Tektronix small DSOs that were so immensely popular. The display certainly has a very familiar feel.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 04:07:25 pm by Regnirps »

Offline Mala_elektronic

• MaLaEE-Homepage
« Reply #194 on: January 31, 2011, 10:19:33 am »
@tinhead
I would take one.

Offline spookytooth

« Reply #195 on: January 31, 2011, 03:03:35 pm »
Hi all... 'upgrading' worked fine using UART connection and the shell.
I managed to upgrade to 200MHz and DSO is working fine. But the .ico files for the other models (except the original one) are not included on my system, so I just copied and renamed the original one but it would be nicer to have the correct one being displayed on startup.
Can somebody post a DST1102 and 1202 icon file please? - Thanks...

@tinhead: maybe you can modify your script to copy the missing/required icon files during 'upgrade' as well?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #196 on: January 31, 2011, 05:37:00 pm »
attached all logos (ico) files, from both Tekway and Hantek models.

Offline spookytooth

« Reply #197 on: January 31, 2011, 10:35:20 pm »
Thanks! Looks much better now  ;)

Offline Scrts

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #198 on: February 01, 2011, 03:03:55 am »
... since I sell and support all the Mini2440/Mini6410 products.
Maybe You have Your eshop? I am interested in mini2440/6410 boards

before i change my mine, how many of you guys would buy such LAN-addon board right now?
Hm, what about WLAN modules? :) I would be interested in those :)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #199 on: February 01, 2011, 03:30:46 am »
Hm, what about WLAN modules? :) I would be interested in those :)
[/quote]

WLAN can be something like:

- USB stick in front panel, like VT6656 (useless, evt. with some modification can work as "remote usb storage" to save setups/screenshots,
   but no shell access)
- USB to WLAN adapter on the back side (useless and unecessary overhead, need to be small (can be but linux not necessary) host translating
   USB to WLAN)
- real memory mapped WLAN module, haven't investigated which chipset can be connected, can be done directly chipset to i/o port or indirectly.

in my opinion only the real memory mapped WLAN module with chipset directly connected to i/o port make sense, everythign else is overhead or unnecessary/useless protocol/port translation from/to/whatever/to/WLAN.

But let's see what HanTekway/Elec3i will develop. The LAN module i build is 10mbit (CS8900A based), fast enough for whatever you need.
Of course i could create a DM9000 based addon board to get 100Mbit, but i'm too lazy (there is ready compiled CS8900A module installed
on HanTekway DSOs - this might change in the future but for now it is sufficient).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf