Author Topic: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free  (Read 2190400 times)

Offline Regnirps

Re: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free
« Reply #200 on: February 01, 2011, 04:39:45 am »
... since I sell and support all the Mini2440/Mini6410 products.
Maybe You have Your eshop? I am interested in mini2440/6410 boards

before i change my mine, how many of you guys would buy such LAN-addon board right now?
Hm, what about WLAN modules? :) I would be interested in those :)

www.andahammer.com  I'm not here to push it. A customer put me on to the scope discussion which is pretty interesting and I'd like to open one of the Uni-T wide screen units and check it out. Can not figure how to open it without damage! The S3C2440 based ones are really attractive. I might have a short sale on Uni-T :-) and pick up some of the others in Shenzhen in April, maybe meet the engineers and see whats up.

Offline Regnirps

« Reply #201 on: February 01, 2011, 04:48:04 am »
before i change my mine, how many of you guys would buy such LAN-addon board right now?
Hm, what about WLAN modules? :) I would be interested in those :)

WLAN can be something like:

- USB stick in front panel, like VT6656 (useless, evt. with some modification can work as "remote usb storage" to save setups/screenshots,
   but no shell access)
- USB to WLAN adapter on the back side (useless and unecessary overhead, need to be small (can be but linux not necessary) host translating
   USB to WLAN)
- real memory mapped WLAN module, haven't investigated which chipset can be connected, can be done directly chipset to i/o port or indirectly.

in my opinion only the real memory mapped WLAN module with chipset directly connected to i/o port make sense, everythign else is overhead or unnecessary/useless protocol/port translation from/to/whatever/to/WLAN.

But let's see what HanTekway/Elec3i will develop. The LAN module i build is 10mbit (CS8900A based), fast enough for whatever you need.
Of course i could create a DM9000 based addon board to get 100Mbit, but i'm too lazy (there is ready compiled CS8900A module installed
on HanTekway DSOs - this might change in the future but for now it is sufficient).

[/quote]

The old Linux they are using on the S3C2440 (from over 2 years ago and for 2410) needed three tool chains to put together. It usually has TP-Link321 handler and r73 firmware installed somewhere. I don't think you can find a DM9000 setup for that tool chain mess. I have some DVDs with the old software and tools for QQ2410/2440 that I bet are the same thing and the downloads may have never been erased from my hosting site.

Offline tinheadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #202 on: February 01, 2011, 10:15:35 am »
all china DSO have one common thing - the enclosure mechanical construction. Just remove top screws (behind the hangripp so you have to remove it forst), remove bottom screws.

Regards Linux 2.6.13 and DM9000, no there are no issues with drivers.
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline baldrick9

« Reply #203 on: February 03, 2011, 04:37:57 am »
Can confirm that the one I received last week has the heatsinks on the ADC's just like the image posted earlier.

The Australian dealer for these wants $1,495 +GST(10%) for the Tekway DST1102b ($AUD). This is crazy stuff!
http://www.triosmartcal.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=1961

Offline Regnirps

« Reply #204 on: February 03, 2011, 07:24:51 pm »
all china DSO have one common thing - the enclosure mechanical construction. Just remove top screws (behind the hangripp so you have to remove it forst), remove bottom screws.

Regards Linux 2.6.13 and DM9000, no there are no issues with drivers.

I got into the Uni-T and so far all I see is a Lattice part, an Analog Devices DSP, and some AD A/D converters and an analog amplifier/management chip I need to look up. I have not seem the bottom of the board yet but I have the feeling there is no Samsung ARM and very little likelihood of hacking anything.

Offline Regnirps

« Reply #205 on: February 03, 2011, 09:55:48 pm »
I forgot to mention that when I opened the UNi-T, the heavy metal lid to the shielded input section was off and wedged under some structure against the PCB! Now I'll have to open them all I guess. Looks like we will be switching brands if we decide to continue down the instrumentation road.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #206 on: February 04, 2011, 08:13:36 pm »
Hello tinman and other Tekway hackers,

Can you check the X-Y function of this scope, either native or hacked version?  Can you generate a lissajou pattern with frequencies >= 100kHz?  If you can, what's the limit before the scope starts to choke?

If you've never done it or heard of it, just connect 2 separate sine wave sources, one for each channel, and set the scope to X-Y mode.  This will create a lissajou pattern.  Its CPU intensive.

What it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lissajou

I've tried it on the Rigol 1052E, and it chokes at 100kHz. 

Best Wishes,

Saturation

• Super Contributor
« Reply #207 on: February 05, 2011, 12:39:34 am »
Can you generate a lissajou pattern with frequencies >= 100kHz?  If you can, what's the limit before the scope starts to choke?

no issue up to end of bandwidth, even 190/380MHz has been displayed properly. Starting from 1MHz down to 150Hz there are some small gaps (like on analog scope), but they can be easily "disabled" by the wave persistency setting (e.g. 0.2 sec persistency is fast enough for human eye to produce complette waveform but still fast enough to not produce visual latency). Then from 150 to 20Hz the signal is dropping producing more noice than "waveform".
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline Igor

• Contributor
« Reply #208 on: February 05, 2011, 06:37:41 pm »
Finally I got my Tekway DST1102B!

Packaging not very aesthetic, pillow, but without significant damage. Check the contents of the box.  
Immediately see a strange gadget that may not be part of the kit – USB hub, which recalls children's toy - colorful rattle. Just yesterday bought his grandson something similar. And here's the USB cable to connect the oscilloscope bundled with a computer was missing.  

The seller had warned me that the device will be the Chinese version, so you see on the front only characters, I sighed heavily, but fainting fell.
A few months ago, purchased from the same seller UTD2102CEL, and got shipped two interchangeable faceplates-English and Chinese.  
Apparently, Tekway saves on a piece of plastic.  

User manual is missing. Even the Chinese version. Instead, delicate brochure for quick installation. Of course, Chinese …  

First time turn ON device. Oh my God, it works!!!  
But to understand the Chinese menu very difficult. Good thing I found online English manual for the device, and already printed it.  
The first tests did not reveal any malfunctions. Knobs revolve, button are pressed, the characters on the display changes. Probably should be.  

Find information about the installed version of the program. It turned out to be pretty old:

model: dst1102b
soft version: 2.03.0 (091231.0).
hard version: 0x555583e9
serial number: T09xx1102bxxxxxx
boot count (?): 49
upgrade log (?): 0

I try to connect the oscilloscope to a PC. PC sees the peripheral and asks you to specify the driver path.
CD find the only one PDF-file - is a Chinese user manual. No program files.
Dead End …

I want to see what's inside the device.  
Gently open case, and see that the front metal plate, which closes the display and a button bar, quite dirty. No neat looks and fee for power supply: the traces of the soldering flux and dirty fingers. Take off the upper screen MB. Immediately see whether radiators on chips ADC. They do not exist ... So far it's unpleasant but not fatally. Radiators can glue itself. We'll see that there are in stock and will install.
But first do update on recommendations Tinhead. Here's this and will be soon.  

I have all files and programs that are overlaid Tinhead in this branch of the Forum, and USB cables (A-A and A-B). Special cable type UART or JTAG not, but if necessary, can do it.  On a PC running Windows XP SP3. This is what I have at the moment. I have no experience for hacking such devices.  
I would be very grateful if someone agree to advise me or explain how to properly "step by step" to update the program.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 06:39:18 pm by Igor »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #209 on: February 05, 2011, 08:09:14 pm »
Igor,

download

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1571.0;attach=4581

and

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1571.0;attach=4582

ask me for help, all depends on your fw version

run it on your windows computer, it will unpack the ***.up file somewhere to your harddrive.
Copy this **.up file to empty usb stick, put on DSO, insert stick into DSO.

Wait 4 sec., click utility button (marked in attached picture), click F2, click F5 (or whatever will be displayed, i believe the old fw is asking for F6) to confirm.

After the update is ready switch off DSO, remove usb stick and switch back on.
Now you should have english language instaled, to enable it again Utility, and F2 (probably  multiple time until you see english).

That's all.

You can get english manual from Hantek.com or tekwayins.net.

They a bit outdated but enough for now.

You can use this picture :
http://www.tekwayins.net/pic/1202B.jpg
to print some english labels for your front panel :)

If something not working as described send me PM, i can guide you through.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 10:52:57 am by tinhead »

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #210 on: February 05, 2011, 08:30:44 pm »
Thanks a million for that quick test, tinhead!  ;D.  Its looking like Tekway is an overall better scope in performance and capacity, over the Rigol, mostly thanks to all the tests and info you provide.  The more I use the Rigol the more the menus getting too crowded bothers me, and I wish for the wider Tekway screen.

I found an undocumented feature if the Rigol I will post on the Rigol thread, since its more appropriate for these readers to know. Some screen grabs are there too.

The persistence function in the Rigol 1052E works so long as the phase is matched and doesn't drift, otherwise it slowly paints the entire view area a nice solid color!

Can you generate a lissajou pattern with frequencies >= 100kHz?  If you can, what's the limit before the scope starts to choke?

no issue up to end of bandwidth, even 190/380MHz has been displayed properly. Starting from 1MHz down to 150Hz there are some small gaps (like on analog scope), but they can be easily "disabled" by the wave persistency setting (e.g. 0.2 sec persistency is fast enough for human eye to produce complette waveform but still fast enough to not produce visual latency). Then from 150 to 20Hz the signal is dropping producing more noice than "waveform".

« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 08:41:40 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

• Super Contributor
« Reply #211 on: February 05, 2011, 09:18:19 pm »

The persistence function in the Rigol 1052E works so long as the phase is matched and doesn't drift, otherwise it slowly paints the entire view area a nice solid color!

luckily the HanTekway DSO have 0.2sec, i believe the lowest persistance on Rigol is 1sec, that's just too much.
Additionally you can change screen refresh rate on HanTekway between auto, 30, 40 and 50 frames.
I did my tests with 50frames/sec (i just love when the screen is updating very fast), but recognized later that
for phase unsync slow XY signals is better to set auto or 30frames/sec to get even better picture than with persistency on 0.2sec.

So you can see there are some features helping a bit out. Someone mentioned already that the noice level in XY mode is very high
on HanTekway DSOs. But to be very honest it seems to be the same "issue" on Rigol (or at least from what i saw on screenshots).

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #212 on: February 06, 2011, 12:02:16 am »
Thanks tinhead for those additional Tekway tips.  More adjustments are always helpful, you never know how it can help improve the image!  The only thing I can do with noise is use average mode, since it should cancel each other out and leave the signal alone; alas its disabled in the XY mode!  :'(

Since there are no automated measurements, the last resort is save the image, and manually measure the phase angle using the center of the fat tracing  ;D

luckily the HanTekway DSO have 0.2sec, i believe the lowest persistance on Rigol is 1sec, that's just too much.
Additionally you can change screen refresh rate on HanTekway between auto, 30, 40 and 50 frames.
I did my tests with 50frames/sec (i just love when the screen is updating very fast), but recognized later that
for phase unsync slow XY signals is better to set auto or 30frames/sec to get even better picture than with persistency on 0.2sec.

So you can see there are some features helping a bit out. Someone mentioned already that the noice level in XY mode is very high
on HanTekway DSOs. But to be very honest it seems to be the same "issue" on Rigol (or at least from what i saw on screenshots).

Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline Igor

• Contributor
« Reply #213 on: February 06, 2011, 02:15:39 am »
Tinhead, thank you!
I did, now the device is multilingual.  

System status:
model: dst1102b
soft version: 2.06.2 (101028).  
hard version: 0x555583e8  (Change the last digit: 9->8 )
boot count: 62
upgrade log: 1

Can I add another Russian? I'm willing to translate all menus and built-in help.  
How do I upgrade to DST1202B?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 02:17:31 am by Igor »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #214 on: February 06, 2011, 03:41:01 am »

Can I add another Russian? I'm willing to translate all menus and built-in help.  

The help file is SQL Lite v3 DB, you can edit it with your fav. SQL lite editor
Menu is just a text file, it can be translated. The firmware 2.6.2 does support cyrillic characters :
-FontRusAsc22x24
-FontRusAsc19x19

Side note : Not every language can be implemented, the language.lan file is only one part of the story,
the firmware itself need to support it. For 2.6.2 that :

Korean  Korean.lan 
Italian Italian.lan
Spanish Spanish.lan
German  German.lan 
Russian Russian.lan
French  French.lan 
Japan   Japan.lan   
Tridchn Tridchn.lan
Chinese Chinese.lan
English English.lan

In your case there is support already compiled in the dso firmware
but probably Hantek/Tekway not managed (yet) to do proper translation.

Another thing is, you will have to stay on 2.6.2 for now (2.6.3 have too many bugs anyway)
In case you do an update to higher fw version you will have again to change/edit the russian.lan (to match what inside to new menu structure)
If you don't update, your menu will be corrupted :) So it can be a neverending story ...
(until Hantek/Tekway translate by themselve the russian.lan)

But as i said, nothing really hard, it is text file so you can do it easily.

You will have to use for example the English.lan (attached, from 2.6.2 firmware), edit it and save as Russian.lan

Then of course you will have to copy it to /OurLanguages folder of the DSO linuy ... this can be done by special crafted firmware
or for example from USB stick after you connected over UART to the linux shell.

I could prepare such special crafted firmware, but you will have probably to do some testings anyway
(espacially with the help.db translation), so the best for you will be to learn how to connect via UART to DSO linux shell.

On the very first page there are pictures of UART port (UART0), you will have to buy UART-> USB adapter (ebay for "cp2102 usb ttl")
and to use your fav. terminal application (e.g. putty)

How do I upgrade to DST1202B?

well, it is in this thread, but i will do it very simple for you :)

download this

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1571.0;attach=4577

copy to usb stick and run firmware update. After reboot you will have DST1202B
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 03:48:40 am by tinhead »

Offline Igor

• Contributor
« Reply #215 on: February 06, 2011, 04:27:09 am »
Tinhead – you're the best!  :)

Now I have not "chinese soap dish", and wonderful oscilloscope DST1202B!  

System status:
model: dst1202b
soft version: 2.06.2 (101028)
hard version: 0x555583e8
boot count: 65
upgrade log: 2

I won't rush translation system menu. Will do that once a new version of 2.06.3.

Tinhead, if you need help with translation to Russian, can count on me.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 04:48:04 am by Igor »

Offline zare

« Reply #216 on: February 15, 2011, 07:04:00 pm »
Looks to me that Tekway DST1102B and Hantek DSO5102B is the same scope, but the Hantek is bit cheaper. Should I expect better quality with Tekway?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #217 on: February 15, 2011, 07:15:49 pm »
Looks to me that Tekway DST1102B and Hantek DSO5102B is the same scope

well yes they are.

... but the Hantek is bit cheaper. Should I expect better quality with Tekway?

I know i reported that 60Mhz Hantek have some 1% instead of 0.1% resistors,
but on the other side 1% is still sufficient and they not making a real price difference (that's about 12 resistors per scope).
Other parts have exact the same specs, so what (it was probably just a delivery issues, so they soldered 1% resistrors).

Both companies are delivering with heatsinks on ADCs, both is not soldering the 2.54 headers anylonger (except UART),
both have same probes.

The only real diff (as until of now, but i think that will change too in the future) is that Tekway seems to be soldered a bit cleaner,
which means they have still own production line what probably make the price
diff (as Tekway is only producing these DSOs and Hantek many other things).

So it don't need to be necessary quality driven, it can be marketing/production cost thing.

Offline Scrts

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #218 on: February 16, 2011, 09:53:08 pm »
Looks to me that Tekway DST1102B and Hantek DSO5102B is the same scope, but the Hantek is bit cheaper. Should I expect better quality with Tekway?

Open a Hantek scope and check PCBs. Its all Tekway inside, every single PCB marked Tekway.

Offline zare

« Reply #219 on: February 16, 2011, 11:44:05 pm »
Thanks guys .. Hantek on order  ;) ..

Offline pgup62

• Contributor
    • Elec3i Instrumentation et automatisme
« Reply #220 on: February 18, 2011, 01:26:15 pm »
Yes I confirm, even Hantek english user's manual show Tekway front panels instead of their Hantek front panels, a little bit funny  :D, we feel sorry for this.
We are translating this user's manual into french, and put our own pictures (With hantek this time)... ;)
Hantek/Tekway buyers, do not forget Elec3i for your purchase  ;D

• Super Contributor
« Reply #221 on: February 19, 2011, 12:04:25 am »
Hantek/Tekway buyers, do not forget Elec3i for your purchase  ;D

Hi Pascal,

i got nice answer from Hantek/Tekway, they will not release the SDK yet (company policy - the firmware have too many bugs
and they wish first to fix them before SDK will be released, this is good idea).

The only bad thing is - they will not release the source code. So you know what this means, they using illegal operating system
(it is actually stolen if you don't publish sources as requested in the GPL) making the whole DSO illegal in European Union.
So you asking ppl now to buying illegal (actually stolen) product ?

Offline Gall

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #222 on: February 19, 2011, 07:43:09 am »
I think it's about time to take a legal action about this. Please forward the answer to http://gpl-violations.org/

I think about developing the firmware from scratch.
The difficult we do today; the impossible takes a little longer.

Offline pgup62

• Contributor
    • Elec3i Instrumentation et automatisme
« Reply #223 on: February 19, 2011, 02:24:26 pm »
Tinhead,
You are right and I asked them to release the sources too, I am waiting for their reply. I feel confident something will happen in the right way...

Offline dfnr2

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #224 on: February 20, 2011, 04:57:37 pm »

i got nice answer from Hantek/Tekway, they will not release the SDK yet (company policy - the firmware have too many bugs
and they wish first to fix them before SDK will be released, this is good idea).

The only bad thing is - they will not release the source code.

Hi Tinhead,

Is the SDK for developing software on a PC communicating with the scope by USB or RS232, or is it for extending functionality built in to the scope?  Judging from their bacground in USB scopes and lack of SCPI, I imagine it's the first option.  The second option would be surprising, but much more interesting.

Regarding the GPL, they may be obligated to provide access to compilable version of the GPL code such as the kernel and any GPL libraries, but still won't be obligated to provide access to the scope application or any of the HDL.  It would be nice to have sources frr these, of course!

Dave

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf