Author Topic: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free  (Read 2189749 times)

Offline project

• Contributor
Re: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free
« Reply #225 on: February 20, 2011, 05:29:20 pm »
A friend went back Taiwan bring me back a Hantek DSO5102B in his backpack, about CAD$450 from hantek distributor. Yep, if u got friend in china, then u can have it about $400 or less.

Open up, every piece made by tekway, only little diff on firmware. Has reserved fan connector holes on board and fan bracket, but maybe no need a fan, as let it continue work 4-5 hours highest temp was 43 celsius degree on PSU. Probes come woth it are 150Mhz, yep, I have better, it's not a matter for me.

Before I open it up, I had a feeling that this one is 200Mhz ready, as the SN lable on the back of machine is T 1G/200M 00xxxx, but firmware show T 1G/100M 00xxxx. Yep after I open it up it is 200Mhz ready--44A(280) and 330 risistors on board.

Sadlly, firmware is 2.06.02(101108.0), that means I may not update it just by usb without lie to DSO.

Havn't play it too much, but will do.

Also thanks Tinhead, I almost pull the trigger on Atten ADS1102CAL right before I saw this post.  

Btw I think the front shell and knobs color should be gray instead irovy, as time and heat will let irovy turns to yellowish. 

Offline project

• Contributor
« Reply #226 on: February 20, 2011, 05:36:19 pm »
For above someone asked could not find USB driver for windows 7. You can just install TTscope on CD come with your machine first, and plug DSO in and manual install driver from TTscope installation directory under x:\program file\TTscope\drivers or similar, accept install driver anyway, it'll work. But when u trying to connect it with TTscope, it'll report sort of error and won't work anyhow. 

Offline tinheadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #227 on: February 20, 2011, 08:26:34 pm »
For above someone asked could not find USB driver for windows 7. You can just install TTscope on CD come with your machine first, and plug DSO in and manual install driver from TTscope installation directory under x:\program file\TTscope\drivers or similar, accept install driver anyway, it'll work. But when u trying to connect it with TTscope, it'll report sort of error and won't work anyhow. 

just don't use the TTScope from CD, the one on Hantek website is bit better, especially drivers.

Before I open it up, I had a feeling that this one is 200Mhz ready, as the SN lable on the back of machine is T 1G/200M 00xxxx, but firmware show T 1G/100M 00xxxx. Yep after I open it up it is 200Mhz ready--44A(280) and 330 risistors on board.

oh that's even better for you, after hack to 200MHz bw the calibration will match 100%.

Btw I think the front shell and knobs color should be gray instead irovy, as time and heat will let irovy turns to yellowish. 

actually Hantek is mix of gray and ivory, Tekway's frontpanel is typical ivory (which i like because match to my other already yellowish toys)
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline project

• Contributor
« Reply #228 on: February 21, 2011, 07:05:48 am »
just don't use the TTScope from CD, the one on Hantek website is bit better, especially drivers.

Yes u are right, TTScope on Hantek website works fine. Thanks again.

Offline ianryeng

• Contributor
« Reply #229 on: February 22, 2011, 05:00:47 am »
So after spending a lot of time debating buying Atten, then finding and reading this entire thread (thank you to all of you who have contributed) I no longer am interested in Atten and want to get one of these instead. The questions I have are is there a preference (quality, potential future support, ect) between Hantek and Tekway? Also is the 100MHz version worth $140USD more than the 60 or has anyone here successfully upgraded a 60 to say a 100 or even 200 (money is tight so if its not necessary I don't want to spend it)?

Sorry for all the questions and I appreciate any responses.

Thanks,

-Ian

« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 05:22:09 am by ianryeng »

Offline project

• Contributor
« Reply #230 on: February 22, 2011, 01:05:15 pm »
So after spending a lot of time debating buying Atten, then finding and reading this entire thread (thank you to all of you who have contributed) I no longer am interested in Atten and want to get one of these instead. The questions I have are is there a preference (quality, potential future support, ect) between Hantek and Tekway? Also is the 100MHz version worth $140USD more than the 60 or has anyone here successfully upgraded a 60 to say a 100 or even 200 (money is tight so if its not necessary I don't want to spend it)?

Sorry for all the questions and I appreciate any responses.

Thanks,

-Ian

This was the question that I had before I got my. Believe Tinhead. Hantek and tekway are identical, all their boards made by tekway, diff maybe just on firmware/logo and frontpanel cosmatic look.

Yes, you can mod 60 to 100 or to 200,or 100 to 200. someone already confirm it. All you need is change some risistors and hack the software. but Three things remind you.
1.Those are SMD resistors, you'll need proper tool and skill to change them (hot gun or smd tweezer iron), and resistors cost money. Mine's lucky, come with 200 ready.
2. For hantek5102B 2.6.2(101108.0), you'll need JTAG way to hack it, or modify USB files to cheat DSO. I don't know tekway.
3. I heard probes come 60Mhz is 80Mhz. You may ask these to confirm. My 100Mhz come with 150Mhz.  Good probes cost quite a bit in NA, 1/10 price in China.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 01:07:41 pm by project »

Offline project

• Contributor
« Reply #231 on: February 22, 2011, 01:11:12 pm »
BTW, the headers on my 5102b come with two size. FPAG JTAG header is 2.5mm, ARM JTAG and I/O header are 2mm. Not soldered.

And we don't need remove handle to remove top two screws, only need is open it by 45 degree, you'll got enough space to remove them.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 06:52:00 pm by project »

Offline ianryeng

• Contributor
« Reply #232 on: February 22, 2011, 02:13:54 pm »
Hey,

Thanks for the quick response and feedback.
If probes are the only real difference I will factor that in and see how much difference there really is in the cost.
In terms of reworking the front end I don't expect too many problems.

Thanks again, I appreciate the feedback. Now I just need to convince my wife...
Hope to be bugging you again soon to mod one of these :)

-Ian

• Super Contributor
« Reply #233 on: February 22, 2011, 02:23:44 pm »
This was the question that I had before I got my. Believe Tinhead. Hantek and tekway are identical, all their boards made by tekway, diff maybe just on firmware/logo and frontpanel cosmatic look.

exact, they identical.

Yes, you can mod 60 to 100 or to 200,or 100 to 200. someone already confirm it.
the whole thread is about the mod, and yes this works.

All you need is change some risistors and hack the software. but Three things remind you.

not exactly, if ~180-190MHz are enough for you then you don't have to change these resistors.

1.Those are SMD resistors, you'll need proper tool and skill to change them (hot gun or smd tweezer iron), and resistors cost money. Mine's lucky, come with 200 ready.

as above ... Btw, i would not recommend to change them if you have no additional test equipment to evt. change the internal compensation.

2. For hantek5102B 2.6.2(101108.0), you'll need JTAG way to hack it, or modify USB files to cheat DSO. I don't know tekway.

right, Hantek for sure Tekway i got reported some models where the hac was still working over USB,
but generally spoken yes you have to do it over uart

3. I heard probes come 60Mhz is 80Mhz. You may ask these to confirm. My 100Mhz come with 150Mhz.  Good probes cost quite a bit in NA, 1/10 price in China.

yeah, that's the major problem. IF you have already good probes you will probably don't care, but if you don't you will have to buy better probes.
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #234 on: February 25, 2011, 01:44:23 am »
tinhead, do you have the input schematic for this scope? I am trying to learn a bit more about oscilloscope inputs and filters. I lost the original PDF, then you took it down. Would appreciate it, thanks!

Offline SuperMiguel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #235 on: February 25, 2011, 05:21:17 am »
why do you give the option of 100MHz, 150, and 200? why not just 200? why should any one want to be at 100/150 when they can have 200Mhz??

Offline ianryeng

• Contributor
« Reply #236 on: February 25, 2011, 05:32:49 am »
Aside from the fact that people may want to play around with different limits to see the differences the fact that all firmwares are available would be very convenient in the event of failure to revert to factory settings if you wanted to try and claim the warranty. Just my guess though.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #237 on: February 25, 2011, 12:35:51 pm »
tinhead, do you have the input schematic for this scope? I am trying to learn a bit more about oscilloscope inputs and filters. I lost the original PDF, then you took it down. Would appreciate it, thanks!

yeah i do have, currently a bit busy with other things but soon i will publish it, together with Ethernet-addon schematic.

Offline project

• Contributor
« Reply #238 on: February 25, 2011, 12:39:31 pm »
yeah i do have, currently a bit busy with other things but soon i will publish it, together with Ethernet-addon schematic.

Wow?this sounds great, can't wait it.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #239 on: February 25, 2011, 02:19:35 pm »
why do you give the option of 100MHz, 150, and 200? why not just 200? why should any one want to be at 100/150 when they can have 200Mhz??

I think that some day it is good to open new thread where handle things what are related to analog channel quality and frequency response together with true A/D conversion samplerate.

I think this is important to look these things without connection to one scope manufacturer/model.

These things are fundamentals for understanding digital oscilloscopes and also for avoid some possible "hidden" effects to measuring accuracy and for avoid some problems.

It is not so that as wide analog channel as can made is better - specially if talk about realtime measurements as FFT or single shot or other measurements where we use realtime sampling and not repetitive sampling (Rigol named id "egual time...")

There are some good readings for this:

http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/5989-5732EN.pdf

http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/5989-5733EN.pdf

http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/5989-3020EN.pdf

http://www.emcsociety.org/Presentations/IEEE%20Seminar%20Scopes%20and%20Radar.pdf

As long as do not rise (by mod) samplerate there is growing problem with aliasing if make analog channel more wide.
But also this problen must not overlook. Only need undertand that oscilloscope is always some kind of compromise. Good there, error there. What you see is sum of errors summed to original signal under test.

With digital camera you can easy see if picture is good enough for tell what is real what you take picture.
Scope situation is different... only "window" to signal is your scope display... but, sometimes it is wrong. How to avoid this... design scope so that all fundamentals are ok.

Example if you look FFT and signal under test include components what freq go over Nyquist.. what you see.. you see totally lies about signal under test. You can see signal (example just wrong frequency high spike... but real signal do not have it at all. Why... you read papers then you know.
It is like bad radio where you listen signals totally in wrong frequency only becouse front end and mixer etc is toy.

I hope some with good english and more time open new thread for handle these fundamentals...
You do not buy best camera by looking only more pixels... you do not get more good oscilloscope if you look only samplerate and MHz number.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 05:15:16 pm by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline project

• Contributor
« Reply #240 on: February 25, 2011, 09:44:04 pm »
so i just got mine DSO5062B and i tried to updated it to the 200Mhz.. So i went here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=1571.msg24564#msg24564
downloaded do_hantek_DSO5202B.zip extracted it to a flash drive and when i hit update firmware i get an error saying:

Software upgrade failed, error 0xf7 Ilegal upgrade files detected!

System status shows:

model: DSO5062B
soft version: 2.06.2 (101108.0)
hard version: 0x555583e8

This version need hack by UART or JTAG way. Or make a file to cheat the DSO, read few pages back, Tinhead explained this. Guess more people ask, Tinhead may release new version USB files.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 09:49:38 pm by project »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #241 on: February 25, 2011, 10:58:56 pm »
so i just got mine DSO5062B and i tried to updated it to the 200Mhz.. Software upgrade failed, error 0xf7 Ilegal upgrade files detected!

System status shows:

model: DSO5062B
soft version: 2.06.2 (101108.0)
hard version: 0x555583e8

you really funny guy, complained about warranty but 5min after DSO arrived directly trying to hack.
Waht do you think how many DSO mortoncontrols sold yesterday and how many got shipped today ? So it will be easy for them
to recognize your name .. and that's all about your warranty.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #242 on: February 26, 2011, 12:00:07 am »
Guess more people ask, Tinhead may release new version USB files.

i could, but i think it is better to hack via UART, just because of such things:
- if USB hack/update fails because of whatever user will have no clue how to fix broken DSO
- too many versions necessary (H60->H100, H60->H200, H100->H200, H200->H100, H200-> H60, H100->H60, T60->T100, T60->T200,
  T100->T200, T200->T100, T200-> T60, T100->T60  ), user will don't know what/when/why
- i promised Han/Tekway to not create any new USB hacks
- i wish Han/Tekway will spend time on fixing firmware bigs and the SDK - and not on new protections only because
  i created another one USB hack for "lazy" ppl

What i will post is a new firmware dump utility, so everybody will be able (again) to make a backup of installed firmware.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #243 on: February 26, 2011, 12:50:22 am »
New Firmware dump utility

this version works with fw 2.5 to 2.6.x (and later?)

Hantek/Tekway did added some protection into firmware update procedure, therefore the fw dump
utility need to be changed too.

Attached fw_backupV3.zip, it contains folders named as DSO names/models, all you have to do is
to copy dst1kb_9.99.9_cli(200101.0).up from proper folder (must be same as your DSO model!) to USB stick
and like always run firmware update (can take up to 5mins)

This tool will not hack nor change anything on your DSO, it will only create dump of your currenty firmware
and save it on the USB flash drive.

UPDATED: new version is V3a (see in universal folder from the attached zip file), it does use special trick
to be model independant.

EDIT: if you get error 0xFE while using the "universal" backup version, then rename the
"special_secret_dst1kb_9.99.9_cli(200101.1).up" to "dst1kb_9.99.9_cli(200101.1).up"
and try again :)

simply download, unpack and read how to use ... it contains also some informations and tools to allow restore of the backup

« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 05:58:05 pm by tinhead »

Offline Igor

• Contributor
« Reply #244 on: February 26, 2011, 12:04:23 pm »
Tinhead, you write: "must be same as your DSO model!"  
I have a DST1102B but the DSO installed DST1202B. Which model do I specify, and do I need to update your software?
I installed your program without saving the original.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 12:12:14 pm by Igor »

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #245 on: February 26, 2011, 12:16:33 pm »
I think they're watching this thread  ;)

Hantek/Tekway did added some protection into firmware update procedure, therefore the fw dump
Best Wishes,

Saturation

• Super Contributor
« Reply #246 on: February 26, 2011, 12:24:54 pm »
Tinhead, you write: "must be same as your DSO model!"  
I have a DST1102B but the DSO installed DST1202B. Which model do I specify, and do I need to update your software?
I installed your program without saving the original.

well if you hacked to whatever model then this is your new model name an not what printed out on enclore.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #247 on: February 26, 2011, 01:33:51 pm »
I think they're watching this thread  ;)

This forum (look link later) they also maybe watch. (Whole this Chinese forum, in some special topics and threads you can find wery avesome things... (but some of course is just garbage... but some threads you can find very extremely professional things... there are also some special highest level knowledge peoples.. as you can see example some voltage reference threads.. (ok... someone do not know enough about LTZ1000 things... ok.. lets look with RTG and other thigs what silicon have eat inside can... hehe. Olso some pictures about "homelab" where is ton Fluke Voltage standards and maybe aalso Josephson on the corner.

I mean this forum in China (you need windows asian language support installed) http://www.ourdev.cn/bbs/bbs_content.jsp?bbs_sn=4529838&bbs_page_no=1&search_mode=1&search_text=Tekway&bbs_id=3053

Becouse chinese language it is "littlebit" difficult use and find things but.. go to "home" and start. Interesting. Some times there you can look peoples do things what they want, somewhere peoplses do only what they can... ;)

tinhead is famous man in China...

;)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 01:43:47 pm by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #248 on: February 26, 2011, 01:37:37 pm »
I think they're watching this thread  ;)

sure, they watching very carefuly, especially after this hack has been notified by chinese ppl (from ourdev.cn).
This thread is 99% about the hack, however i do have other thread in different forums about users experiences or
firmware bugs (yeah, currently fw2.6.3 have "too" many - but there is a very good progress and new fw will be ready in few days, so what).

EDIT: hehe you right rf-loop, i think the next time i fly to china i will get killed but also will get some flowers too :P
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 01:39:31 pm by tinhead »

Offline pgup62

• Contributor
    • Elec3i Instrumentation et automatisme
« Reply #249 on: February 28, 2011, 03:23:43 pm »
Tinhead bie dan xin, zhong guo ren hen hao !

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf