Author Topic: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free  (Read 2187603 times)

Offline nukie

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free
« Reply #400 on: March 22, 2011, 11:40:26 pm »

If you use scope in high temperature. Room temperature high or  if air do not flow very free around scope.

Maybe it is good in this case install small fan inside scope. (no need full speed, you can reduce nominal speed example x0.7 - 0.9 (depends fan type and quality) and you get low noise and it still helps airflow inside scope. It need only small extra amount of air. (example double speed if compare natural free air flow and exance rate)  In this case I recommend fan take outside air and flow is to inside. In this case you can put small filter before fan so all dirty do not free travel to inside.  In normal 22Celsius room temp some components work quite high temp. Clearly over 70C case temperature. It is not good to go any more high. They may last but maybe fail rate start grow.

I agree with adding a fan! I am building a 8 channel temperature logging with DS1721 to measure 'in case' temperature of the different parts. I will report back in a few weeks. I can feel the heat from the top of the case, my room temperature is only 24c. I bet the parts in it especially the caps in the smps area are choking to death.

Offline tinheadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #401 on: March 23, 2011, 01:04:51 am »

... are choking to death.

actually all components are still within specs, but a slow running fan will of course reduce the potential stress.
If you have good quality fan you can use temp / speed control, if you use a cheap one it is enough to replace the 7812
on power board by 7805 (and run a 12V fan with 5V).

I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline bilko

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #402 on: March 23, 2011, 01:59:44 am »

actually all components are still within specs, but a slow running fan will of course reduce the potential stress.
If you have good quality fan you can use temp / speed control, if you use a cheap one it is enough to replace the 7812
on power board by 7805 (and run a 12V fan with 5V).

Does anybody have the details of the fan (size ?) and are there any pictures of the mod ?
What about using a filter and running the fan to suck the air in ?

Offline project

• Contributor
« Reply #403 on: March 23, 2011, 03:15:25 am »
Does anybody have the details of the fan (size ?) and are there any pictures of the mod ?
What about using a filter and running the fan to suck the air in ?

Just open your case , 4 screws, you'll see all your options. believe it's 55mm fan or maybe 50mm and 55mm mount holes.

I'm using larger size, 65 or 75mm fan, and mount only one hole by a long screw to extend fan to the middle of the case, also changed to L7805CV  to power this 12v fan. All these are for reduce noise and creat more air flow.

For this DSO, I'm not very worry about power supply part. It's just a normal switching psu. Anything goes wrong can be easy fixed. What I'm worried are those two BGA chips, BGA+lead-free stuff creat most electronic gabage today. I'll add some heat sinks on them later.

Offline ianryeng

• Contributor
« Reply #404 on: March 23, 2011, 05:54:59 am »
Just bought a DSO-5062B  ;D

As a side note at least currently you can get the english version with shipping for $450 while they last (25% off and no I have no connection to them its just a good deal)
https://www.mortoncontrols.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=58_51&products_id=450

Offline slburris

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #405 on: March 23, 2011, 03:06:45 pm »
Another option for US buyers is

http://www.thefamousbrandsoutlet.com/test-measurement-instruments.html?cat=50

Don't be put off by their weird name.  I saw a recommendation
for them on rcgroups about a year ago, and picked up the
Hantek DSO-1060 handheld scope and have been quite happy with
it.

At the time, they didn't carry any of Hantek's bench scopes, but that appears
to have changed.

Still, the Morton Controls seems to be a deal!

Scott

Offline ianryeng

• Contributor
« Reply #406 on: March 24, 2011, 01:29:31 am »
The only thing that I've noticed that I don't like so far is the max 5V/div. Why not 10/dev...at least that way I could work on a 240V system without needing to buy a 100x probe... 

Offline project

• Contributor
« Reply #407 on: March 24, 2011, 02:15:42 pm »
The only thing that I've noticed that I don't like so far is the max 5V/div. Why not 10/dev...at least that way I could work on a 240V system without needing to buy a 100x probe... 

turn to x10, you got 50v/div.

Offline ianryeng

• Contributor
« Reply #408 on: March 24, 2011, 03:30:05 pm »
Thank you for the response, I certainly appreciate and I should have been more specific that I meant AC systems.

240VAC with 50v/div doesn't fit with the default setup (unlike the Rigol which will display 10V/div, this was a big issue for us when we bought a LeCroy WaveAce as a second scope in my office and it only supported 5V/div max)

680Vpk-pk/50V = 14 divisions minimum meaning that you would need 10V/div and use 7 of the eight available on the screen to display the waveform.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 03:57:59 pm by ianryeng »

Offline project

• Contributor
« Reply #409 on: March 24, 2011, 04:15:16 pm »
Thank you for the response, I certainly appreciate and I should have been more specific that I meant AC systems.

240VAC with 50v/div doesn't fit with the default setup (unlike the Rigol which will display 10V/div, this was a big issue for us when we bought a LeCroy WaveAce as a second scope in my office and it only supported 5V/div max)

680Vpk-pk/50V = 14 divisions minimum meaning that you would need 10V/div and use 7 of the eight available on the screen to display the waveform.

Guess you mean you need 10v/div at 1x probe. then you'll need 100x probes for sure on this scope. Or get some scopes support higher input voltage, like 1000vpp at 10x. usually this type DSO accurate at lower voltage. higher frequence, lower voltage. 

Offline enclis

• Contributor
« Reply #410 on: March 24, 2011, 11:10:09 pm »
Finally got my DST1062B from taobao. Easily upgraded it to DST1202. Dont run any benchmark tests on the edge of the bandwidth. There are only 60MHz probes out of the box, so I need to buy another to take appropriate tests. Everything is great!  8) , but I cant connect my oscilloscope to PC via usb. I'm using TTScope 2.0.0.4 software that i've downloaded from Tekway official site but it doesn't work   :'( . And I cant get svg data to my USB flash greater than 40k points >:(, I want to get 512k and 1M points!

Thanks a lot to all forum members in this topic, especially tinhead.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #411 on: March 25, 2011, 01:05:28 am »
Finally got my DST1062B from taobao. Easily upgraded it to DST1202. Dont run any benchmark tests on the edge of the bandwidth. There are only 60MHz probes out of the box, so I need to buy another to take appropriate tests. Everything is great!  8) , but I cant connect my oscilloscope to PC via usb. I'm using TTScope 2.0.0.4 software that i've downloaded from Tekway official site but it doesn't work   :'( . And I cant get svg data to my USB flash greater than 40k points >:(, I want to get 512k and 1M points!

Thanks a lot to all forum members in this topic, especially tinhead.

use the software from Hantek website or chinese Tekway website .. there is 2.0.5 too, http://www.tekwayins.com/pic/TTScope.rar
no idea why they not yet copied to the english website.

and yeah, there are no drivers for Win 7 64bit ...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 04:18:33 am by tinhead »
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline enclis

• Contributor
« Reply #412 on: March 25, 2011, 01:11:52 pm »

use the software from Hantek website or chinese Tekway website .. there is 2.0.5 too, http://www.tekwayins.com/pic/TTScope.rar

Software is works but I still can't get svg data greater than 40k points. In this case PC software is useless for me. Can you get 512k or 1M points out of your oscilloscope?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #413 on: March 25, 2011, 01:17:33 pm »
Software is works but I still can't get svg data greater than 40k points. In this case PC software is useless for me. Can you get 512k or 1M points out of your oscilloscope?

with firmware version 2.6.1 the 1M data export is working, with other versions not. It has been confirmed as bug and it will be fixed soon.

Offline project

• Contributor
« Reply #414 on: March 25, 2011, 04:09:42 pm »

with firmware version 2.6.1 the 1M data export is working, with other versions not. It has been confirmed as bug and it will be fixed soon.

mine works  to 512k, but not 1M.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #415 on: March 25, 2011, 04:21:24 pm »
mine works  to 512k, but not 1M.

that's new for me, which fw version ?

Offline enclis

• Contributor
« Reply #416 on: March 25, 2011, 08:57:53 pm »

Will wait eagerly for bug fix.

Offline dfnr2

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #417 on: March 27, 2011, 05:32:12 pm »
Hello,  I'm posting here since this thread seems to be the gathering place for Hantek/Tekway owners, and my query relates to the scope performance.  I am seeing an artifact at higher sample rates; specifically, distortion of the waveform which is independent of amplitude (and thus of SNR relative to broadband background).  I've attached a screen shot of a capture of a 150 MHz signal, with sinc interpolation.  On the second image (taken in the dual-window zoom mode, which doesn't do the sinc interpolation) shows all the samples within the correct amplitude range.  For both, sample memory is set to 4K, with single channel active.

I believe that the variation in amplitute of the reconstructed sinewave is due to error in timing of the sampling at the highest sample rates, most likey due to imperfect interleaving of the DACS, but possibly just due to clock jitter. The effect is much smaller at lower rates, and with lower bandwidth signals (which don't change as much between samples, so small sample timing errors aren't as noticeable).  The question is:  Do the Tekway/Hantek scopes typically exhibit this kind of error at the highest sampling rates, or do I have a bad unit?

If anyone here has access to a clean 150 MHz sine wave source, can you try the same acquisition, and report whether or not you see the same thing?  Results from more that one person/scope would be helpful.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 05:39:41 pm by dfnr2 »

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #418 on: March 28, 2011, 04:33:04 pm »
I don't own the Hantek, but a Rigol 1052e.  Try switching your scope from real time to equivalent time sampling, does the sine wave appear better?  The Hantek does 1Gs/s for ~ <= 100MHz with fidelity, but at 150 MHz, you're more likely to see sampling related errors.

If these artifacts were present below 100 MHz, I'd more suspect the Hantek hardware.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline RobertB

« Reply #419 on: March 28, 2011, 04:34:21 pm »
Hi all!

I received my Hantek DSO5062B today - and from the short glimpse I've got so far I am VERY satisfied - Tank you very much for your work and recommendation tinman!

Just after the DOA-Check I "dismantled" my new gadged - just to find a PCB I can't remember having seen in this thread so far (see attachment)

There is a footprint for a Ethernet jack, for speaker and microphone jack and finally for a micro-SD!

I have not yet tried to "unlock" 200 MHz operation, just wanted to get a quick response on the PCB shot.

BR
Robert

• Super Contributor
« Reply #420 on: March 28, 2011, 05:04:19 pm »

just to find a PCB I can't remember having seen in this thread so far (see attachment)

There is a footprint for a Ethernet jack, for speaker and microphone jack and finally for a micro-SD!

I have not yet tried to "unlock" 200 MHz operation, just wanted to get a quick response on the PCB shot.

and you got PM now ...

The re-design seems to be more than only few wires between FPGA/SoC ... that's completly new device.
Luckily still the same soft-design (meaning Linux and hack).

These jacks, hmm, good question for what reason they are, as i remember Pascal (from Elec3i) said somethign about external battery.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #421 on: March 28, 2011, 05:49:51 pm »
Robert B

Extremely interesting. I just waiting DSO5102B  before end of this week.... I hope...

Some weeks ago they was with "old" PCB.

I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline RobertB

« Reply #422 on: March 28, 2011, 07:26:33 pm »
Hi!

You're welcome! If any is missing, reply within the next 30min or so because after that I want to reassemble my new gadged... Already costed my one heat sink from the ADC mounted on the backside...

I have retrofitted the missing USB Host connector - guess it will work. For the Ethernet I doubt that the jack will be enough - see the pictures.

Resized versions attached, Link to full res: http://rapidshare.com/files/454830015/Hantek.rar

BR
Robert

btw: found the EEPROM: Microchip 24AA64 64K I2C™ Serial EEPROM with write protect
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 07:54:40 pm by RobertB »

Offline RobertB

« Reply #423 on: March 28, 2011, 08:55:15 pm »
I must be out of my mind for doing this, but

I plugged in a USB Flash Drive in the retrofitted USB Host connector:

"usbctl: zombie --> [reset] --> default. Device in default state."

So, no luck - but the good news: Everything else still works! ;-)

Next, instead of measuring some test-signals:

The 28-pin footprint shown in P1170503 is connected to the "PHONE1" jack footprint. After some investigation in the Mini2440 schematics (http://www.friendlyarm.net/dl.php?file=mini2440_schematic.zip) it is for 100% sure that this can be used to retrofit a UDA1340: http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/philips/UDA1340.pdf

Looking at the SDIO Pinout I am sure we just have to find the right SD-slot. Unfortunately, the buzzer right in front blocks changing the SD-card, so I guess I will go for some flat ribbon cable... Only thing missing could be the missing pullups.

I still can't find a way to see how a Davicom DM9000 or another Ethernet-PHY could be attached to the board to make use of the ethernet-jack. So to make a sophisticated guess I say the ethernet-part is implemented in the FPGA I can't identify due to its heatsink...

BR
Robert

• Super Contributor
« Reply #424 on: March 28, 2011, 10:00:36 pm »
thanks Robert for the pics!

The not assembled SSOP28 IC between NAND and 74HC4053 (USB mux) is UDA1341TS (connected via IIS).
The SOP8 is an amp for headphones, P1/P2 connectors nears that IC are routed to these phones/mis connectors too (near USB client).
No idea for what a DSO need audio codec, but who cares, this is in principle Linux box with "DSO functionality" so what.

Same for SD card (ok, it can be used as additional memory/boot device), on the old hw revision the SDIO port is
not routed.

So in principle Hantek was nice enough to route all these unused pins to what-they-designed-for.
Probably they will never use sound on DSO, but we can. SD card is nice for hacks too.

Other changes/not assembled parts:
- some status LEDs, but that's not new
- new 60pin 1.27 pitch I/O header  - very nice, much more addons possible than with the old one.
- on bottom side for different DAC IC (instead of LTC2601 on the top side)
- diag connectors ??? within input stage, hmm (lol, input stage open-detector?)
- U12 on bottom, J4 on top and all these parts around J4 (abouve J700 on top) - hmm (i saw that parts
combination somewhere near FPGA, think ...)
- opamp TLV272 replaced by TLV274, no function change, just some savings
- USB mux with 4053 (S3C2440 is having host/client or 2 x host USB ports, the "mux" is probably detecting VUSB
voltage on USB client and swithing off the second USB host on the front side)
- on bottom side really ugly soldered single gate 74hc04 with some resistors as jumpers, let me gues - for EEPROM WP ?
- polyfuse for both front USB ports (good idea)
- "RJ45 jack" routed probably to the long I/O header, so LAN addonboard will be plugged there.
- on the bottom side 6 x 0ohm "jumpers" block connected to FPGA, hmm (model detection?)
- on the bottom side some not assembled resistors/transistor, routed to S3C2440, no idea what for.
- input channels JFET changed to ??? (i can't read the device marking)

Many changes, especially these "jumpers" are interessting for future hacking.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf