Author Topic: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free  (Read 2202475 times)

Offline astraios

• Contributor
Re: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free
« Reply #2350 on: June 13, 2014, 11:15:54 am »
glad to know it worked.
I wonder why the serial number changed, odd.

Offline rosasharn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2351 on: June 14, 2014, 02:05:51 am »
May be some deleted data affects the serial no.  :-//

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
Re: Hantek MSO5074FG problem!
« Reply #2352 on: June 14, 2014, 08:04:39 am »
Hi. I am a new member. I just wanted to post my experience with the new Hantek MSO5074FG. I had read a lot of the info in this post before buying it. I guess I was feeling lucky, since I bought it anyway. At the time I ordered it, it was the cheapest 4 channel scope I could find. Now I see there's a 4 channel Rigol for even cheaper!

The scope worked fine for about an hour or two. In that time, I was able to do just a little bit of testing.

Using the function generator on the scope, I did a very bried and informal speed test against my 25MHz OWON PDS5022S. When set to maximum sampling rate and using only one channel, a square wave looked comparable to the PDS at around 8-10Mhz. Not much better, really. But I didn't tune the probes, and I don't have any experience with high speed signals, so I didn't really care at this point.

The real selling point for me was the MSO5074FG has four channels and a functino generator. The form factor is actually a little smaller than my OWON. Although the screen is smaller on the Hantek, it has much better brightness, contrast, and an excellent viewing angle. So for the 600 and change I paid, I was pretty happy so far.

The control layout was pretty good, IMO. I had no problem navigating the menus or setting things up. The measurement menu is better than the OWON. The Hantek will display up to 8 measurements right on the side of the screen. The "function click/knob" on the scope makes setting up these measurements easy. Also, there are maybe 4 measurements that show up in a little banner at the bottom of the screen, sometimes. I had not figured out how/when/why and/or if those were configurable before the scope died.

I got to play with the dual display for a little while. And I tried out the cursor function briefly, but I didn't quite get the hang of it in the short time I had.

Contrary to info I have read, which said the trigger was available on only channels 1 and 2 and EXT, the scope could trigger on all four channels. Also, the scope came with 4 sets of PP-90 probes. I was only expecting two probes. It also came with a BNC patch cable, which was nice.

Now here's the bad. Once I installed the software and plugged the scope into my PC, the scope froze. None of the controls on the scope do anything. When you turn on the scope, all channels are off, channel 1 menu is up, and that is it.

I can still use some of the functions from the USB interface. Using the PC, I can turn on all four channels. I can even turn on the LA (which I never even tried, yet). I can also control the waveform generator in most respects. Curiously, although the frequency can be changed by PC, and even though the resulting frequency change shows up on the scope's display, the actual frequency of the waveform does not change from 1Khz when using the PC interface. But the amplitude and other pertinent things can be changed (rise/fall times, duty cycle, what not).

Also, in the PC trigger menu, you can set only channel 1 or 2 or EXT as trigger. But as I said earlier, I was able to trigger off of channel 3 and 4 when the scope controls worked!

FYI, I never found a way to use the "arbitrary" part of the waveform generator. The only thing the manual has to say about the subject is that you can "use the mouse to change the waveform." This is actually the reason I plugged the scope into the usb to begin with. But even in the PC software, I see no way to make arbitrary functions.

This is a really cute little piece of hardware. If there was a master reset button on it, I would probably be ok with an occasional crash and a missing arbitrary function generator. What I saw, I liked a lot. Well, at least compared to my PDS5022.

I hope other people will have a better experience. But I have only read of two other first hand experiences with this machine (might have been the same guy), and they both indicated the same problem.

Edit: I also noticed that the AWG shares ground with the scope. All of the functions are AC coupled. So if you create a square wave and plug it into scope input, the result is AC coupled, even if you set the scope input to DC.

*Update:
Hantek customer service sent me a rescue tool. It effectively reset the scope. So it's back up and running. I have found a multitude of ways to make the scope crash, but a total lock up is fairly rare, at least. I have only managed to do it once, or twice more, but at least there's a way to recover it, if you are next to a computer.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 08:30:50 am by KL27x »

Offline rosasharn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2353 on: June 19, 2014, 06:48:04 am »
i do like the logic plug system it uses, the 5074FG just has a pin socket array with kinda short logic leads. the 7084BLG uses the same as the old model MSO.... im looking at what i might want to get in a few months time when i feel like ive learned enough to deserve a real scope. i just want to see what it is i would be looking for at that time.

Yes, take easy and get a good resolution.

Offline tinheadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
Re: Hantek MSO5074FG problem!
« Reply #2354 on: June 19, 2014, 11:16:09 pm »
I just wanted to post my experience with the new Hantek MSO5074FG.

a big thank for that, any information is useful

Contrary to info I have read, which said the trigger was available on only channels 1 and 2 and EXT, the scope could trigger on all four channels.

good

Now here's the bad. Once I installed the software and plugged the scope into my PC, the scope froze.

i have such problem only on an dev board with firmware dump running, each time i ran the PC software the firmware is crashing. However, after reboot it does work again, as expected due the watchdog.

Also, in the PC trigger menu, you can set only channel 1 or 2 or EXT as trigger. But as I said earlier, I was able to trigger off of channel 3 and 4 when the scope controls worked!

yeah, that software i simplified said "crap".

FYI, I never found a way to use the "arbitrary" part of the waveform generator. The only thing the manual has to say about the subject is that you can "use the mouse to change the waveform."

or do they mean usb mouse plugged to DSO? no idea, Hantek is sometimes too lazy in their "manuals"

*Update:
Hantek customer service sent me a rescue tool. It effectively reset the scope. So it's back up and running. I have found a multitude of ways to make the scope crash, but a total lock up is fairly rare, at least. I have only managed to do it once, or twice more, but at least there's a way to recover it, if you are next to a computer.

tell us more about that rescue tool. There is watchdog running, and normally when firmware is doing bullshit on the saved profile, the watchdig will purge it and the firmware should work after next reboot.
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline rosasharn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2355 on: June 20, 2014, 07:43:35 am »
Hello, I have a new version software, hardware and rescue tool may help solve your MSO5074FG problem.

www.hantek.com/Hantek/down/MSO5074FG.zip

Offline pcmihnea

• Contributor
« Reply #2356 on: June 20, 2014, 10:09:23 pm »
     Hi, before I start I would like to express how amazed I am on the progress that was done so far (I managed in about 3 day to browse through this thread, even though first hundreds of replies contained deprecated or not applicable info). I am currently an (unemployed) engineering student, so my budget is limited. Due to my location in a far, far away country in eastern Europe (it start with "Ro" and ends with "mania"), my only choice for a accessible (at least 500Ms/s, and with a value under $500) oscilloscope was the Hantek DSO5102P (that is, with 40kp memory depth). The reason with I settled to such compromise is that in my country the only trustworthy local seller was the well-know (in Europe) TME distributor. It was the only source for a decent oscilloscope, that also included warranty, and having a local branch in my country meant internal direct shipping, so no waiting, and also no extra taxes (as in international packages). Anyways, I had it for a couple of days to play, and I consider myself happy with my purchase; of course I can't zoom in too much in dual window mode, or accomplish many other tricks that depend on larger memory depth, but I'll survive. It only hanged two or three times, at intensive tasks (dual window, with cursors and measurement). The price that I paid (together with a 15% discount) was quite high (~$450), but as I said, it was the cheapest product available in my country (I don't consider myself courageous enough to buy expensive products from other countries, due too long and expensive shipping costs, and also the high chance of paying extra taxes at my custom-office).

That's it for the intro, now I have a few questions if anybody could answer, if possible. As a, well beginner that I am, I upgraded my firmware without any backup or even writing down my shipped version. The one that I am using now is the latest on www.hantek.com, "dso5kp_func_dso5102p20140111"; it is working so far without any serious issues (except, of course, the random[?] hang-ups, but at least the watchdog works and resets the unit, but all the other features are fully working - FFT, measure, cursors, pass/fail, record, export, etc.). In the System Info menu it appears as a "DSO5102P", hardware version "10000xffff8103" (so it well may be a DS5000C motherboard version 1.0 2013/1/4, as in a photo posted earlier in this thread; it is plausible due to a pass sticker with the date 130422), serial number T1G/036 00xxxx, and LCD.TS is plain 0.0.0. The system status menu confirms that the sampling rate can go to 1Gs/s (at low time base, of course). Now to the questions them-self:
     1. I haven't made any modification, neither software nor hardware (I haven't even disassembled the unit, even if it doesn't have a warranty sticker); the only time I inserted a USB stick in it was for the (official) update and to test the print-screen feature. I also used the back USB for the DigitalScope software only (old and slow, may I say), so not even the DSO-USB-Tool. Still, oddly I am able to select a timebase of 2nS (as seen in attached screenshot; it's not the minimum 4nS as it should for a 100MHz version, even though I updated with the 5102P update file), and was successful in viewing a very clean (compareable to that displayed on a professional Lecroy Wavejet 314A 100MHz 1Gs/s oscilloscope) 135MHz 10Vp-p AC sine-wave generated by a 35 year old generator (it was the fastest signal generator I could use at the moment; I also had a Tabor WW5061 generator, but at 50Ms/s it wasn't able to output more that 25MHz). My first conclusion is that the original distributor re-branded the device from a 200MHz to a 100MHz (changed the stickers on the unit and shipping box, and modified the respective internal files, including the boot logo and system info, but forgot the time base?). I don't have any other generators, so I can't test the maximum bandwidth, but I'm pleased with this surprise. What other reason could it be?
     2. Now some firmware "bugs": I'm using multiple settings for multiple types of signals to be analysed, so the settings save/recall feature is very useful (in order to spare the sensitive rotary encoders). The only issue is that the date and time is also saved and restored, so that every time I restore a SetUp, the RTC is reset back to the time settings at the moment that I saved the respective setup, which is annoying in that I have to re-set it every time. Is it possible to modify some files or the firmware update file itself so that it doesn't save the date and time too?
     3. Also, I saw a few tens/ hundreds of replies ago that Mr. "TinHead" managed to modify the firmware so that the sampling rate is displayed instead of time (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-tekway-dso-hack-get-200mhz-bw-for-free/msg294794/#msg294794). Is it possible to patch the latest firmware too (20140111)? That would be useful for my second question too, because the date and time will not appear on my screenshot, so I wouldn't have to re-set them every time.
     4. Regarding firmware, is there any more development for the "P" series, or any newer (than 20140111) one available? Please don't consider it as a request, it's more like a "more to come" view, than a "final, mature" software, with no more improvements and/or bug-fixes and/or unlocks to come.
     5. More than two years ago a user named "flodins" posted a few photos depicting a desktop environment displayed on a Hantek DSO5062B unit (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-tekway-dso-hack-get-200mhz-bw-for-free/msg124677/#msg124677), but besides those few posts no other updates were posted (and his home website's domain, http://flodins.info/, is for sale). It seemed like a very interesting project, but I can't find any more info on the internet. Does anybody know the current status, or a way to replicate his result?

Sorry for my long first post, I had quite a few ideas to express that accumulated in the last days since I got my first oscilloscope (besides a $40 USBee AX Pro clone, of which I don't I'm not proud, but is usable as a logic analyser and portable one-channel oscilloscope). Thanks to anybody who wishes to help me!

Offline rosasharn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2357 on: June 21, 2014, 05:31:53 am »
another Curios Problem on my hantek Handheld 1062b

i already bought 300mhz 100x Probe

So messuring AC 230V Inverter

Scale 50V PKPK 588V
Scale >=51V PKPK 750V

using 10X probe @ max Range 50V.. messuring is fine .. buw using 100x 51V- max Scale 500V messuring is completly  wrong

So .. this would really be a little bit stupid for using 100X Probe with scale 100-200V

See Pictures.. any ideas?

When the measure scale 100-200V, it's better to use 10X probe to test.
If use 100X, it's better to check the probe accuracy.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2358 on: June 21, 2014, 06:50:53 pm »
Hello, I have a new version software, hardware and rescue tool may help solve your MSO5074FG problem.

www.hantek.com/Hantek/down/MSO5074FG.zip

that link is not working, but this does:

http://www.hantek.com/down/MSO5074FG.zip

I'm wondering a bit, only Hantek employees are using links with Hantek to point to their web server, are you one of them? >:D

Anyway, what the rescue tool is doing is to delete broken profile, which is /param/sav/run1kb* file. In prnciple te watchdog have to do this, so something seems to be wrong with watchdog on MSO5074/54FG (or with the fw, which is why they published updates as well).

That link contains firmware update as well, for these who wish to chec what inside fw update, you need to use "mso5074fg" as password to decrypt (with gpg) the up file first, before untar/untar/gunzip it.

That link contains as well the AWG PC softare, which seems to work. It is actully separate tool, the other PC software is included in the link as well (but it is the same already known version).

I have some interesssting findings about the rescue tool, i will post it later a bit about.
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2359 on: June 21, 2014, 09:44:53 pm »
The reason with I settled to such compromise is that in my country the only trustworthy local seller was the well-know (in Europe) TME distributor.

trustworthy is better than cheap. The germanelectronics.ro, which is Conrad/Voelkner could be an option as well,
but they does not have P models (but the DSO-1062D which where same as Hantek DSO5062B).

"DSO5102P", hardware version "10000xffff8103" (so it well may be a DS5000C

8103, yes, that can be C model, but already upgraded to P (with 40k memory). So that's ok.

1. I haven't made any modification ... 2ns ...

easy to check, download that tool from Peter

http://peter.dreisiebner.at/dso-usb-tool/

connect DSO to PC/MAC, run that software, go to shell tab and paste/execute "ls".
When you see /dst1202b in the listing, then it was already hacked, when not, then it does have
something to do with firmware (kind of "bug").

... so that every time I restore a SetUp, the RTC is reset back to the time settings at the moment that I saved the respective setup, which is annoying in that I have to re-set it every time. Is it possible to modify some files or the firmware update file itself so that it doesn't save the date and time too?

this is of course crap. What you can try is to rename the /bin/date , it looks like the firmware is using it to set date/time

3. Also, I saw a few tens/ hundreds of replies ago that Mr. "TinHead" managed to modify the firmware so that the sampling rate is displayed instead of time (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-tekway-dso-hack-get-200mhz-bw-for-free/msg294794/#msg294794). Is it possible to patch the latest firmware too (20140111)? That would be useful for my second question too, because the date and time will not appear on my screenshot, so I wouldn't have to re-set them every time.

well, all you need is the original 3.40.0_130717.0_P firmware, the patched 3.40.0_130717.0_P and the 3.40.0_140111.0_P.
Then Ida Pro, hex editor, arm assembler book and some time - then you can made your own patch. It is really not that hard.

4. Regarding firmware, is there any more development for the "P" series, or any newer (than 20140111) one available? Please don't consider it as a request, it's more like a "more to come" view, than a "final, mature" software, with no more improvements and/or bug-fixes and/or unlocks to come.

no, this is the latest version

5. More than two years ago a user named "flodins" posted a few photos depicting a desktop environment displayed on a Hantek DSO5062B unit (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-tekway-dso-hack-get-200mhz-bw-for-free/msg124677/#msg124677), but besides those few posts no other updates were posted (and his home website's domain, http://flodins.info/, is for sale). It seemed like a very interesting project, but I can't find any more info on the internet. Does anybody know the current status, or a way to replicate his result?

no idea, but ask him directly maybe
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 10:42:16 pm by tinhead »

Offline pcmihnea

• Contributor
« Reply #2360 on: June 22, 2014, 11:38:27 am »
Thank you for your quick reply, TinHead!
trustworthy is better than cheap. The germanelectronics.ro, which is Conrad/Voelkner could be an option as well, but they does not have P models (but the DSO-1062D which where same as Hantek DSO5062D).
Yes, that's a good alternative, but as I read throughout this thread, there is a risk for the "D" series to be an older hardware version, whereas the "P" is newer and improved(?).
easy to check, download that tool from Peter http://peter.dreisiebner.at/dso-usb-tool/ connect DSO to PC/MAC, run that software, go to shell tab and paste/execute "ls". When you see /dst1202b in the listing, then it was already hacked, when not, then it does have something to do with firmware (kind of "bug").
Ok, I followed your suggestion, but before that I tried using your "Tools_P_models" backup tool, but after an hour or so it yielded a 1024KB "boot.bin", 4096KB "kernel.bin", 2048KB "logo.bin" and over 3GB of "root.bin" (it would have been even bigger where I not have cancelled the upgrade - by pressing the "cancel" button, and not by unplugging the USB stick or powering off). After that I re-checked your first post and saw that the tool applies to SN >15000, whilst mine is noticeably smaller. Is there another way to backup (should I use the nanddump commands via DSO USB Tool)? Regardless of any backup, I checked with "ls", and there is no /dst1202b, only the following:
Code: [Select]
OurLanguages
bin
chk_base_volt
cur_acq.type
dev
disk_sta.info
dso
dso.exe
dsod
dst1102b
etc
fpgabank.conf
help.db
i2c.log
icon
keyprotocol.inf
language.img
lib
linuxrc
logo
logotype
logotype.dis
mnt
msg
mult_adc.log
param
proc
protocol.inf
root
sbin
sys
sys.inf
tdc.log
tdc_edge125M
tdc_overtime125M
tdc_pulse125M
tmp
usr
var
So it's a software bug or some other form of hack (modification)? As I said, I was able to see multiple cycles of my 135MHz sine-wave (I just forgot to make a screenshot, I can make another one tomorrow, if necessary). Also, is there any way to read (not write, that operation is possible, as I saw in some posts) the value of the digital knee filter stored on the EEPROM? I'm curios if that was altered as well.
this is of course crap. What you can try is to rename the /bin/date , it looks like the firmware is using it to set date/time
And what effect will the rename operation have?
well, all you need is the original 3.40.0_130717.0_P firmware, the patched 3.40.0_130717.0_P and the 3.40.0_140111.0_P. Then Ida Pro, hex editor, arm assembler book and some time - then you can made your own patch. It is really not that hard.
Ummm.... can you please share some hints or instruction regarding the patching? It's a bit over my head, as I have very few experiences with such a task. Just some some first time short how-to?

I have one more question: there is an option in the utility menu, as it looks, to save waveforms, i.e. to print them. I'm not sure how this is accomplished, I tried connecting three different printers (Laser, Inkjet and multi-functional), but I'm greeted by the same error "printer not detected, operation failed". So I assume it was designed to print via a printer connected to the front USB? It was just out of curiosity, it's real-life usefulness is kinda limited, but interesting (if one doesn't have a PC at hand).

Thanks again for your help!

« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 11:43:39 am by pcmihnea »

Offline rosasharn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2361 on: June 23, 2014, 03:52:00 am »

that link is not working, but this does:

I'm wondering a bit, only Hantek employees are using links with Hantek to point to their web server, are you one of them? >:D

This link is working now. Maybe their website is not stable, I guess. :-//

The following users thanked this post: Taviman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2362 on: June 23, 2014, 10:41:04 pm »
Yes, that's a good alternative, but as I read throughout this thread, there is a risk for the "D" series to be an older hardware version, whereas the "P" is newer and improved(?).

C model was with 20k i think, then P with 40k and that Conrad "D" is actually Hantek "B" (not "D", thta was typo) with 1M memory.

Ok, I followed your suggestion, but before that I tried using your "Tools_P_models" backup tool, but after an hour or so it yielded a 1024KB "boot.bin", 4096KB "kernel.bin", 2048KB "logo.bin" and over 3GB of "root.bin" (it would have been even bigger where I not have cancelled the upgrade - by pressing the "cancel" button, and not by unplugging the USB stick or powering off).

no, so that shit is not working, this is due errors in partiton table or the nanddump tool. Some models are unfortunately affected.

So it's a software bug or some other form of hack (modification)? As I said, I was able to see multiple cycles of my 135MHz sine-wave

well, to see is not the problem, especially that you have 100MHz model (or changed to 100MHz).

the value of the digital knee filter stored on the EEPROM? I'm curios if that was altered as well.

EEPROM is holding other informations, but not the filter settings, they always model related (or manually set)

Ummm.... can you please share some hints or instruction regarding the patching? It's a bit over my head, as I have very few experiences with such a task. Just some some first time short how-to?

use google :) really. You will for sure find some tutorials (x86 for sure, some arm as well).

I have one more question: there is an option in the utility menu, as it looks, to save waveforms, i.e. to print them. I'm not sure how this is accomplished, I tried connecting three different printers (Laser, Inkjet and multi-functional), but I'm greeted by the same error "printer not detected, operation failed". So I assume it was designed to print via a printer connected to the front USB? It was just out of curiosity, it's real-life usefulness is kinda limited, but interesting (if one doesn't have a PC at hand).

right, when printer detected and set then it should work - however there is only ppd file for laserjet, that probably will not work with other printers. I was however able to print on diff. printer, but i had to use my own ppd files for that.

Offline rosasharn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2363 on: June 24, 2014, 03:28:17 am »
     2. Now some firmware "bugs": I'm using multiple settings for multiple types of signals to be analysed, so the settings save/recall feature is very useful (in order to spare the sensitive rotary encoders). The only issue is that the date and time is also saved and restored, so that every time I restore a SetUp, the RTC is reset back to the time settings at the moment that I saved the respective setup, which is annoying in that I have to re-set it every time. Is it possible to modify some files or the firmware update file itself so that it doesn't save the date and time too?

Hello! My firmware dso5kp_func_dso5102p20140208 hasn't such RTC problem, you may update it to test.
www.hantek.com/Product/5000P/DSO5102P_Firmware.zip

Offline astraios

• Contributor
« Reply #2364 on: June 24, 2014, 03:56:28 am »
Rosasharn, since you are providing direct links from Hantek's site, I assume you are a Hantek employee, therefore I would like to ask you: Is there any newer firmware for the hw0 version of DSO5102B?
I'm currently using Tinhead's modified dst1kb_2.06.3_15102b_fact(130814.1).up firmware.
I'm just curious, Is there any newer version than that?
By the way, sometimes it crashes when saving to usb stick.

The download section on Hantek's site does not have 2.6.x firmware available for download. I think that's unfair to the people who have old hardware versions of this scope.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2365 on: June 24, 2014, 12:24:59 pm »
As said above i took a look on the "Rescue Tool", when started it look like this:

"connect and send", which is so far ok, but when one check the about dialog there is "Time and Language set". That look like the "tool" is or was doing more than only connect and send soemthing. And actually there is more, but all in chinese language and disabled. So i did translated it into english and re-aranged/enabled again all hidden things. Now the tool likes like this:

No one can set 3 types of things:
- HDVersion (more about this below)
- Language licensing (no idea if this is really used by the firmware, i'm always using default/english/EN)
- time (which didn't work as Hantek removed the code to send time and added code to send profile reset)

One can use that tool now to set these things, but as said abive, langaue is fine when set to what it is. Sure, there might exists OEM models like Voltcraft DSO-3062C where the langauge is set (in EEPROM) to German, but generaly one don't need that functionality. Time/Date settings as said above are not functional, but i leaved them visible. The profile purge, which is "the rescue", is nothing special, the tool is sending shell cmd (one can use the tool fro Peter Dreisiebner for that even better) to purge the file /param/sav/run1kb*. What remains is the BIG BONUS , the HDVersion settings function, used to store options and hardware licensing into the EEPROM.

I did posted some time ago about the options/hardware licensing stored in the EEPROM (starting from hw1005, on hw0 there was only SN/general info and language set, nothing else)

There are two blocks of information in the EEPROM:
• general information
• licensing information

The general informations are:
• [--LOGx--] - log number, the EEPROM can have multiple entrys (LOG0, LOG1 and so on)
• [serial number] - just your S/N
• [operation time] - the date/time of the DSO final test/factory calibration
• [operator] - the operator/technician name

The licensing informations are:
• [pcb] - PCB version, see below and version.txt for numbers to be entered
• [lcd] - LCD orientation, 0=default, 1=180° rotated
• [front] - your guess is as good as mine, 0 or 1 (but see below more)
• [usb] - i guess this is front usb port activation, 0=default(no second USB), 1=second USB enabled
• [touch] - touch panel function - not yet implemented, default=0
• [net] - LAN license - 0=no lan, 1=LAN enabled
• [iso] - isolation, 0=default (no isolation), 1=isolation enabled (like on DSO1000S handhelds)
• [buf] - memory depth license, 0=4k, 1=20k, 2=1M, 3=2Mpoint enabled
• [sd] - SD function license, 0=no SD, 1=SD enabled
• [vei] - Video function license, 0=no video, 1=video enabled
• [dds] - 0=default. I guess a 1 should enable the AWD/DDS (when integrated)
• [key] - Keyboard layout, 0=default (Hantek)

- The [pcb] is 1005 for hw1005, 1007 for hw1007, etc. For detailed list see attached version.txt
- The [lcd] as said above is used for screen orientation.
- The [front] is unknown to me, i thought some time ago that 1 is for Handheld and 0 for Benchtop,
   but i do have some Handheld dumps with [front]=0 and as well MSO5000D dumps with [front]=1.
- The [usb] i think it might be for enabling the 2nd USB port on front, can't test that.
- The [touch] is touch version, no use right now.
- The [net] is 0 on models with no LN and 1 on models with LAN.
- The [iso] thing was unknown for me, finally i know that it means "isolation". Afaik only DSO1000S
   handhelds should make use of that key.
- The [buf] key is as said abov for max. enabled memory. Of course it need to be physically available as well,
   simply enabling 2M on 40k model will not change anything. Currently on 2Mpoint benchtop models there is
   different CPLD design used, so one need not only to solder bigger memory, but as well to program different
   design into CPLD (it is on my OneDrive). On Handhelds it seems that there is by default the 2Mpoint
   CPLD design programmed, so it is enought to solder bigger SRAM and to change that option in EEPROM.
- The [vei] is enbling video support, one need as well at least kernel 2.6.30 installed.
- The [sd] us enabling the SD card support, on need as well at least kernel 2.6.30 installed.
- The [dds] i thought it will be used by models with DDS, but i did checked MSO50x4FG and there is no
   use of that key, it is still set to 0. Wondering why (dod Hantek forgot that option, or do they use it only
   on DSO7xxx and Handhleds with DDS?, no idea yet).
- The [key] might be set to 0 (hich is default), 1 and 2. The 1 and 2 are used by some Redsea Handhelds,
   with different layout, so it is good idea to leave it by 0 (default).

How these information are stored to EEPROM (see attached picture):
• byte 0002h, 0003h are used for langauge licensing
• general info stored from 1C00h to 1CFFh
• hdversion setting stored from 1D00h

How the S/N can be written:

well, one need to create an empty file and store it on DSO as /i2c.format. Additionally file containing the S/N
need to be created and stored on DSO as /i2c.org . The content of this file looks like:

[--LOG0--]
[serial number]DSO050012345
[operation time]2014-05-01 12:00:01
[operator]smart-hacker

NOTE: each line in this file need to be terminated with 0Ah and not 0Dh 0Ah.

When these file exists while DSO is booting, the firmware will erase the EEPROM and program the content with informations from the i2c.org file. When there are as well /HDVersion.set and /language.set available in the root of DSO, then they will be programmed as well into the EEPROM. I think there is little need to change S/N, but who knows. If someone wish to change the language or HDVersion licensing informations, then it is sufficient to have onle the /HDVersion.set and/or /language.set copied to DSO root, there is no need to format the EEPROM (so no need for i2c.format file) nor program the S/N (no need for i2c.org file).

And here is this debunked "rescue tool" very useful, one don't need to care about HDVersion.set file format, 0Dh at end of line nor what so ever - simply connect DSO to PC, run that tool, chose HDVersion options and click on write button. That's all. After next reboot the information will get written into the EEPROM (you will see short message window).

The debunked tool can be found on my OneDrive http://1drv.ms/1hf4SgO

NOTE: you should make backup of your EEPROM content first, to do this simply copy /i2c.log file to secure location. In that file all your options and as well S/N are stored (it is in principle copy of the EEPROM content and it will be re-created each time you change something! so make an backup).
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 12:41:03 pm by tinhead »

The following users thanked this post: An-162

Offline rosasharn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2366 on: June 25, 2014, 02:01:20 am »
I'm currently using Tinhead's modified dst1kb_2.06.3_15102b_fact(130814.1).up firmware.
I'm just curious, Is there any newer version than that?
I got this link from Hantek Tina.
If you have any questions, you may try to email Hantek, although sometimes it's not so fast. :-X

Here's the latest version I got from Hantek.
http://www.hantek.com/Product/DSO5000Series/DSO5102B_Firmware.zip

Offline astraios

• Contributor
« Reply #2367 on: June 25, 2014, 02:14:58 am »
Unfortunately this firmware is not compatible with hw0 hardware version of this scope, but thanks anyway.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2368 on: June 25, 2014, 09:19:24 pm »
Unfortunately this firmware is not compatible with hw0 hardware version of this scope, but thanks anyway.

right, there is no other version compatible with hw0->hw1007 and kernel 2.6.13.
However, soon Hantek will made one (maybe the last one, depends on bug list status) for these models.

Offline rosasharn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2369 on: June 26, 2014, 02:31:04 am »

Yes, Hantek DSO5000 series support printer, but only HP laseijet1010/1020/1022.

Offline rosasharn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2370 on: June 27, 2014, 05:43:49 am »
Could DSO5072P add a VGA output as optional?
 How is this option enabled, as I would like connect the DSO to a flat panel monitor for display.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2371 on: June 27, 2014, 06:53:35 am »
Could DSO5072P add a VGA output as optional?
 How is this option enabled, as I would like connect the DSO to a flat panel monitor for display.

i did it once on my Tekway,with 800x600 reslution the picture looks ok

One need only an LCD2VGA Adapter, there are some types available, only one type worked for me:

On taobao it is e.g. this one:

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.52.nC3e7X&id=12655984912&ns=1#detail

Then of course need to be somehow connected to allow both, internal display and external vga.
There are lot of buffer ICs, i tested some 74LVHC and CPLD, both worked

http://www.mikrocontroller.net/attachment/129048/DSO_VGA.pdf

Of course it is only copy of what on DSO and not separate screen, but i think that's good enought.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2372 on: June 27, 2014, 09:47:40 am »
btw, there are new firmwares for P models and B/BM/BMV models (which is good as well for Voltcraft models), but all of course only for DSOs with S/N > 15000. Just check Hantek's OneDrive.

Offline astraios

• Contributor
« Reply #2373 on: June 27, 2014, 10:37:03 am »
right, there is no other version compatible with hw0->hw1007 and kernel 2.6.13.
However, soon Hantek will made one (maybe the last one, depends on bug list status) for these models.
I wonder if Hantek is going to put it on the download section, when it's available, but I guess they probably won't.
Oh well,  dst1kb_2.06.3_15102b_fact(130814.1).up is not bad actually, I only managed to crash it 2 or 3 times.

Offline pcmihnea

• Contributor
« Reply #2374 on: June 28, 2014, 10:07:04 am »
Hi, sorry for the late response, I was a bit busy the last few days. Thanks to TinHead and  rosasharn for answering my questions.

TinHead:
no, so that shit is not working, this is due errors in partiton table or the nanddump tool. Some models are unfortunately affected.
So I should try the direct nanddump method (by inputting the commands via the DSO Tool), or there is simply no usable method of backing up for my model and s/n?

TinHead:
use google :) really. You will for sure find some tutorials (x86 for sure, some arm as well).
Ok, will try, but after I have a working backup (just to be 100% sure I can recover from my "experiments") and enough knowledge.

rosasharn:
Hello! My firmware dso5kp_func_dso5102p20140208 hasn't such RTC problem, you may update it to test.
www.hantek.com/Product/5000P/DSO5102P_Firmware.zip
Thank you for the link!

rosasharn:
Yes, Hantek DSO5000 series support printer, but only HP laseijet1010/1020/1022.
I see, I only tried with HP Deskjet and Lexmark laser. In the future I'll do as TinHead did, and implement my own printer(s)' drivers as well.

Thanks again for all the help!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf