Author Topic: Hantek6074BC-hack to 250MHz  (Read 9599 times)

Offline Stevie1966Topic starter

• !
Hantek6074BC-hack to 250MHz
« on: March 13, 2016, 04:26:54 am »

I Have bought a Hantek6074BC 70 MHz BW.Can I hack it to Hantek6254BC 2500 MHz BW? :box:

Someone can help me?

Offline rosasharn

• Regular Contributor
Re: Hantek6074BC-hack to 250MHz
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 07:41:04 am »
Hello Stevie,

Someone recommended it to me.
Now you have one, what do you think about this 6074BC accuracy of measurements?

Offline newtom

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 10:28:47 pm »
Hi there,

any news on speeding up the 6074BC? I am interested in doing so, too. :)

Thanks,
NewtoM

Offline newtom

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 11:19:05 am »
Hi,

my Hantek PC 6074BC just arrived and I decided to take a look inside. See attached pictures.
With a 200MHz bandwidth hack in mind, I was trying to connect via serial interface, but had no luck.

I tried JP1, which seems like a serial connector, but there is no signal. Maybe the U31 IC is missing. (At U31, the shorted pins 25 and 26 remind me of an FTDI USB to serial interface chip, but the other pins do not seem to match with the pinout of the FTDI FT232.)

The other serial-like connector on the south of the front-side is also no serial connector (same signal on 4 pins).

Any comments or ideas are welcome.
NewtoM

The following users thanked this post: 001, Appocalypse_br

Offline kaczy9999

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 02:12:55 pm »
Get the symbol of marked uC and search for datasheet, find uart pins on pinout and try them. :)

The following users thanked this post: 001, Appocalypse_br

Offline newtom

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 02:10:58 pm »
Hi kaczy9999,

thanks for the idea. Here's the pinout for the µC: http://www.cypress.com/file/138911/download#page=21.
Unfortunately, it has no UART pins. :(

What it has are SPI (or probably, TWI) pins, which are connected to another 8-pin IC (tagged U807) on the other side, which has its label scratched off.... Great.

In the meantime I am pretty sure that the 8-pin IC is an EEPROM chip, which holds the firmware (max. 16 KB) for the microcontroller (see USB Boot Methods at http://www.cypress.com/file/138911/download#page=6 and I2C Controller at http://www.cypress.com/file/138911/download#page=15).

Now, even if I'd find a way to change contents of the EEPROM, it would be a shot in the dark to change it so that the bandwidth changes. I am not even sure that the relevant parameter is in there.

Any ideas?
NewtoM
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 07:11:16 pm by newtom »

Offline Dean2

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 11:36:00 am »
Hi Mr Gyro had directed me here I also have Hantek 6074BE scope It has lots of problems Which are described here https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/please-help-my-oscilloscope-trigger/

I invite anyone with Hantek pc scope to Visit my thread ...

Thanks..

Offline MR_Huns

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 06:01:34 am »
I would like to give this thread a bump......

I just ordered a 6074BC from the "Official Hantek Store" on Aliexpress.  Aside from wondering if it going to be legit, I am going to try my hand at porting it to sigrok.  I was actually thinking about the 250MHz model, but ordered the cheap on just in case I brick it.   :palm: 

I don't have any real experience in software, but hopefully a little Google-Fu and some standing on the backs of smart people will help me go the distance.

Thanks for the great pictures.....

Offline Appocalypse_br

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 06:10:46 pm »
Hi mine works great 6104bc just bricked the eeprom in one restart any luck in reading it? Need help! Thanks!

Offline Daruosha

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 06:22:03 pm »

I Have bought a Hantek6074BC 70 MHz BW.Can I hack it to Hantek6254BC 2500 MHz BW? :box:

Someone can help me?

I never knew Hantek scopes are capable of 2.5GHz bandwidth! :D

Offline martinloren2

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2020, 01:25:46 pm »
Hi, you can save the EEPROM content with an app on the Google store called CYUTILS. I've just downloaded the Cypress FX2 firmware for the 6074. It works. In case I can send you this firmware but you have another device and probably wont work. Also firmware may contain calibration data different for every device so it may corrupt your original configuration unless you don't do a compare.
Interesting that the full firmware is on the eeprom. It can be decompiled and studied for improvement.

Offline martinloren2

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2020, 01:27:57 pm »
Hi mine works great 6104bc just bricked the eeprom in one restart any luck in reading it? Need help! Thanks!
My reply up. Just need to find another user with same device and let him read the eeprom content and copy on yours...

Offline Neekeetos

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2022, 06:07:31 am »
Just need to find another user with same device and let him read the eeprom content and copy on yours...
There is a recovery procedure to reflash fx eeprom, this topic will help you https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-6254bd-250mhz-1gsas-pcusb-dso/ 
Eeprom is identical for all bw options. Difference is in fpga firmware , nobody provided the dump for 6254bd yet. With it any 6xxx/bc/bd/be will become bd version with maximum bw and function gen.

Online BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2022, 04:07:14 pm »
I guess no one has figured out the difference between these models?  Still no way to "improve" the 70MHz version to 250MHz?
Bill  (Currently a Siglent fanboy)
--------------------------------------------------
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

Offline luanscps

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2023, 09:55:11 pm »
I have a 6074BE, I'm interested in this hack.
Has anyone managed to get it to work at 250mhz?

I am willing to do firmware tests on my device

thx

Online BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2023, 10:58:15 pm »
I have a 6074BE, I'm interested in this hack.
Has anyone managed to get it to work at 250mhz?

I am willing to do firmware tests on my device

thx
Yes.  It does so right out of the box.

If you are using just one channel you have a 250MHz scope (actually I was able to sweep mine out to 270MHz @ -3dB) @ a maximum of 1Gsa/s.  If you enable a 2nd channel it will drop to about 125MHz and then if you enable 3 or more you get only 70MHz.  You also drop to a max of 500sa/s and then to 250sa/s as you add channels.  My guess is that the ADC is different for the 6254.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 02:04:24 am by BillyO »
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

Online gf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2023, 12:07:48 am »
I guess no one has figured out the difference between these models?  Still no way to "improve" the 70MHz version to 250MHz?

I measured a -3dB point of ~270MHz for my 6074BD. Not perfectly flat. Some peaking at ~150MHz. So I guess, the difference between 6074BD and 6254BD is just the label and the price. I'm also not aware of any software-adjustable lowpass in the frontend. ADC is a HMCAD1511. Don't know if "BE" is different in this regard.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2023, 12:21:37 am »
on the pcie connector, you have the usb port pins i think ?

And you seem to have one or a very few pins who goes somewhere ??

Offline rtek1000

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2023, 11:19:31 pm »
From what I understand about ADC, 10 samples are needed for each Hz, that is, if all 6xx4 use the same ADC HAD1511 of 1GSPS then you can only get 100MHz of bandwidth.

Anything above that is just marketing.

See here: https://www.analogictips.com/adcs-sufficient-sampling-nyquists-rate/

Someone can create a custom firmware for the FPGA and thus be able to use all that 1GSPS, but it may be easier to buy the 100MHz bandwidth model.

Changing from 70MHz to 100MHz would only be a 30% improvement.

Some oscilloscope models have 5 ADC of 100MSPS to get 1GSPS, it may be possible to put more HAD1511 in parallel to get a higher sample rate (There yes is a respectable hack).

See here:
https://sigrok.org/wiki/Rigol_DS1052E

Online BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2023, 02:31:57 pm »
From what I understand about ADC, 10 samples are needed for each Hz, that is, if all 6xx4 use the same ADC HAD1511 of 1GSPS then you can only get 100MHz of bandwidth.

Anything above that is just marketing.
No, this is not correct.  I have tested mine to 270MHz @ -3dB.  Others have gotten the same result.  So, lets call it 250MHz.  That's 4 samples per cycle or .25cycles per sample, which is plenty and typical for DSOs.  The real facts are out there and you could look them up ...  :-//

From Wikipedia:
In signal processing, the Nyquist frequency (or folding frequency), named after Harry Nyquist, is a characteristic of a sampler, which converts a continuous function or signal into a discrete sequence. For a given sampling rate (samples per second), the Nyquist frequency (cycles per second) is the frequency whose cycle-length (or period) is twice the interval between samples, thus 0.5 cycle/sample.

From Keysight:
If you don’t want the oscilloscope to select the sample rate for you, most oscilloscopes allow you to set the sample rate yourself. If you set the sample rate yourself, remember: two times the frequency is the absolute minimum rate you should use. When it comes to oscilloscopes, I recommend choosing a sample rate faster than this. Usually choosing a sample rate that is 3 to 5 times the bandwidth of the oscilloscope will give you a high-enough sampling rate to capture the details of your signal, including its frequency of oscillation and the rise times of your waveforms. You need a sample rate that will provide enough detail to see any unexpected glitches or anomalies.

From Tektronix:
In order to accurately reconstruct a signal and avoid aliasing, the Nyquist theorem states that the signal must be sampled at least twice as fast as its highest frequency component. This theorem, however, assumes an infinite record length and a continuous signal. Since no oscilloscope offers infinite record length and, by definition, glitches are not continuous, sampling at only twice the rate of highest frequency component is usually insufficient.

In reality, accurate reconstruction of a signal depends on both the sample rate and the interpolation method used to fill in the spaces between the samples. Some oscilloscopes let you select either sin (x)/x interpolation for measuring sinusoidal signals, or linear interpolation for square waves, pulses and other signal types.

For accurate reconstruction using sin (x)/x interpolation, your oscilloscope should have a sample rate at least 2.5 times the highest frequency component of your signal. Using linear interpolation, the sample rate should be at least 10 times the highest frequency signal component.

Online gf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2023, 08:47:40 am »
Some oscilloscope models have 5 ADC of 100MSPS to get 1GSPS, it may be possible to put more HAD1511 in parallel to get a higher sample rate

Virtually all high speed ADCs use interleaving. Internally, the HMCAD1511 also contains 8 ADC cores @125MSa/s, which can be combined in different ways by on-chip multiplexers. For example, in single-channel mode all 8 cores are interleaved (-> 1GSa/s), and in 4-channel mode two cores are interleaved per channel (-> 250Msa/s per channel).

I am not sure if multiple HMCAD1511 can be interleaved easily to get 2GSa/s or more. Likely it's not impossible, but I guess at higher frequencies, all interleaved cores would be better placed on the same chip. While several low-cost 4-channel 1GSa/s scope models from diffferent manufacturers use the HMCAD1511, the 2-GSa/s scopes seem to use different ADCs.

The sample rate is whatever it is, and the bandwidth of the frontent is whatever it is. They are not directly related. The sample rate just sets a limit for the highest frequency content of the input signal which can be reconstructed from the samples (almost) exactly with sin(x)/x interpolation. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist%E2%80%93Shannon_sampling_theorem

If the bandwidth of the front end is small enough compared to the sampling rate, it may serve as a good enough anti-aliasing filter. OTOH, a frontend with a large bandwidth is rather not supposed to serve as an anti-aliasing filter, and it is up to you to ensure that the input signal is band-limited per se in order not to violate the sampling theorem.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 09:37:32 am by gf »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf