Author Topic: Hantek LCR 1832C unlock  (Read 29429 times)

Offline ZhuraYukTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hantek LCR 1832C unlock
« on: August 16, 2020, 10:27:38 am »
I recently purchased Hantek 1832C  nice looking LCR meter which promised good specs. There is older model 1833C which can go 100kHz and change test levels voltage. I hoped to unlock it with modifying firmware in same way as with similar portable oscilloscope Hantek 2C42 > 2C72. But after making changes the only thing that changed is system description, higher frequency setting remained locked. Obviously there is mode differences in firmware as well.
Does anyone have 1833C model to share their firmware? I would be good to have dump of main program  flash and boot loader as well. You can easily dump it via ST Link adapter and SWD interface

Attached my original and edited firmware files.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 11:26:50 am by ZhuraYuk »

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
Re: Hantel LCR 1832C unlock
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 12:27:59 pm »
Would be nice to share the original fw you dumped before making any modifications,  someone could have poked in it ??

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 12:33:11 pm »
Also known as Hantek TO11 and TO22,   they are ODM versions of the 1832c 1833c   at cheaper price on Aliexpress

teardown video :

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 09:14:24 am »
Would be nice to share the original fw you dumped before making any modifications,  someone could have poked in it ??
Edited first post with files included

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, coromonadalix

Offline Ries

Re: Hantek LCR 1832C unlock
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2020, 02:53:37 pm »
I buy 1833c and run calibrating with connected type-c external power, now a can`t use device on battery power - only with external power. I think this is firmware bug, a iam ready to help you for dumping stm, but my device are corrupted :(

Offline diogoc

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 03:02:01 pm »
There are any update to this unlock?

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 04:46:17 am »
I am not sure if I got a different device with a wrong label, but I just downloaded the latest firmware from Hantek's website and installed it using Dfuse and now my 1832C works as a 1833C.

Can anyone confirm that?

1178296-0
1178300-1

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2021, 02:14:23 pm »
as i wrote on reply #2   they are sold under an oem / odm  numbers,    from Hantek you have 2 models  and 2 others oem models are known,  unless other obscur branding occurs ??

well  if you have a scope

Try to sniff out the 100khz test with a ceramic disk capacitor,  or something you can test at 100khz  ???

Maybe the 2 models are firmware locked, but have the same hardware, and you managed to unlock it to a 1833C 

Or Hantek made an huge mistake and pushed the 1833C  fw  only ???   loll   i don't know if the pcb has a short or an identifier part (resistor/short, a pin put to ground)  the tell the fw the model you use ?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 02:48:03 pm by coromonadalix »

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2021, 11:08:30 pm »
Try to sniff out the 100khz test with a ceramic disk capacitor,  or something you can test at 100khz  ???

That was the first thing I did, the test signal is a perfect 100kHz sine wave. All other frequency ranges are correct as well. The measurements are also on par with a DER-5000

Or Hantek made an huge mistake and pushed the 1833C  fw  only ???   loll   i don't know if the pcb has a short or an identifier part (resistor/short, a pin put to ground)  the tell the fw the model you use ?

I just downloaded the fw available in the product's page: http://hantek.com/products/detail/16180 and installed it.
But I didn't pay attention to the model number that was originally. I turned the device on, did a quick check and rushed to update the fw, only then I noticed it was working as a 1833C.
So, I don't know if I was lucky with my device or Hantek made a mistake with the fw update. We just need someone else with a HT1832C to update the fw and confirm it.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2021, 01:28:14 am »
Opening the dfu file i see some descriptors,  maybe an stm32 guru could help ???

The texts must be in Chinese ?

Offline diogoc

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2021, 10:30:19 am »
Can you take some photos of the pcb to see if there is something different?

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2021, 02:33:08 am »
Sorry, I did open it to check inside but I didn't take any picture. I did compare the PCB with the pictures in this blog though:

https://www.voltlog.com/hantek-to11-1832c-lcr-meter-review-teardown-voltlog-303/

and everything looks exactly the same. I am confident that the only difference between the 1832C and 1833C models is in the FW only.

Offline diogoc

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2021, 06:35:57 pm »
I confirmed that updating the firmware with dfuse the device change to the 1833C  ;D
All new functions seems to work.
The downside is the version from the hantek page is a bit older than the factory version.

The following users thanked this post: paf, thm_w, Microcheap

Offline teixeluis

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2021, 09:32:59 pm »
Possibly calibration data could be an issue. They probably save in labor by not performing 100KHz calibration on the cheaper 1832C devices. Ultimately this is the only difference (albeit not physical). Just a guess though.

Offline teixeluis

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2021, 10:35:13 pm »
Btw, my Hantek 1832C still has the factory shipped firmware, which has version 20201120PM.

Cheers

Luis Teixeira

Offline teixeluis

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2021, 11:11:21 pm »
Another interesting observation, while still staying in the stock 1832C firmware: I have connected the device to the PC via USB, opened the Keysight Connection Expert application, and in the Interaction IO utility, sent the command "FREQuency 100000". The frequency changes to 100 KHz, and in the oscilloscope I can confirm that this is the frequency it is outputting.

It is worth noting that when the device is connected via USB, the output has a significant DC offset, besides being somewhat noisy (see attached screenshot).

After removing the USB cable, the 100 KHz setting remains active until the power is cycled. The sine wave in this case is clean and has no DC offset.

Cheers
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 11:18:24 pm by teixeluis »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, Marco Camara

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2021, 08:25:43 am »
Interesting - doesn't seem like much effort has been put into protecting the differences between models!

Is it possible that the offset is due to some form of ground loop? Maybe try with an isolated USB connection (e.g. from a laptop running on battery), or even measuring the output with a DMM in DCV mode, with no (grounded) scope connected?

Kinda regretting buying a DE-5000 now - I looked at the Hantek but it was before anyone had confirmed being able to change the version.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2021, 02:21:06 pm »
If you power it down, and try a test requiring manually settled  100hz up to 100khz  does it goes to 100khz ?

Offline usagi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2021, 09:03:58 pm »
Interesting - doesn't seem like much effort has been put into protecting the differences between models!

Is it possible that the offset is due to some form of ground loop? Maybe try with an isolated USB connection (e.g. from a laptop running on battery), or even measuring the output with a DMM in DCV mode, with no (grounded) scope connected?

Kinda regretting buying a DE-5000 now - I looked at the Hantek but it was before anyone had confirmed being able to change the version.

This Hantek is better than the "gold standard" DE-5000?

Offline teixeluis

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2021, 09:24:16 pm »

Correct, I connected it to a power bank, and checked again with the oscilloscope, and the signal is clean and with no DC offset.

Connecting it again to the PC and checking with a DMM, I get nearly 0 DC Volts, and about 0.64 Volts AC wich is close to the 600 mV setting in the LCR.

Offline teixeluis

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2021, 09:28:55 pm »
If you power it down, and try a test requiring manually settled  100hz up to 100khz  does it goes to 100khz ?

No, actually (and correcting my previous comment) if I power it down and then power it up, the 100 KHz setting will still be available until I change to a different frequency. After that you can only go to up to 40 KHz.

Also the LCR doesn't seem to accept setting it to 70 KHz (one of the frequencies available in the 1833), beeping when I give the command "FREQuency 70000".

Cheers

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2021, 11:32:20 pm »
This Hantek is better than the "gold standard" DE-5000?

Some of the specs are a bit better, there are some extra options and frequencies, and it looks like it can be controlled via SCPI (DE-5000 is output only, and needs a special adapter for comms, though one can be DIY'd).

On the negative side, it's still a little more expensive, I don't think it comes with probes, and it's less proven than the DE-5000.

RE the offset thing - good news that it goes away, in real use you shouldn't end up with a ground loop if the DUT is a single component or isolated.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 11:33:55 pm by Hydron »

Offline teixeluis

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2021, 09:12:28 am »
On the negative side, it's still a little more expensive, I don't think it comes with probes, and it's less proven than the DE-5000.

Depending on the seller, the prices of both kind of overlap currently. The 1832C only comes with alligator clips for two-wire measurements.

Offline teixeluis

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2021, 09:34:55 pm »
A few more details after playing a bit more with the SCPI commands:

- regarding the intermediate frequency that I tested (70 KHz), it is legitimate that the LCR refused it because the valid frequency that is in the spec of the 1833 model is 75 KHz and not 70. Tried FREQ 75000 and it works. Output frequency is 75 KHz spot on;
 - the output level can also be changed to 0.3 Volts, by using the FUNCtion:LEVel 300 command. In my DMM it measures 0.327 V AC after this change, which is reasonably close. According to the manufacturer the 1832C is 600mV only. After disconnecting the USB cable I could switch to 600 mV but not back to 300 mV;

The ultimate candy would be to uncap these features by means of some undocumented SCPI command..better than flashing a potentially less recent firmware.

Offline teixeluis

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2021, 11:42:07 pm »
Looking up for strings in the firmware dump, and with a bit of trial and error, there seem to be interesting SCPI commands beyond those documented in the manual.

This one in particular seems suggestive:

-> fact:model ?
<- model = Hantek1832C

I may do some experimenting with the write command, but I will first take a firmware dump with the ST tool just in case...

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, Hydron

Offline teixeluis

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2021, 11:18:45 am »
You can easily dump it via ST Link adapter and SWD interface

ZhuraYuk how did you proceed with getting a dump of the STM32 flash? I struggled a bit to obtain the image: first I tried connecting all the 4 pins of the programming interface (including power) to a ST-Link V2 clone, and could not connect to the target device.

Then I tried not providing power from the ST-Link v2, but instead put the batteries in the LCR and power it up, and in that case was able to connect to the target and obtain the firmware image. Did that a couple of times with success. But afterwards I ran a open circuit self-calibration and tried to get another dump afterwards (to compare which areas are written when calibration is done), and was no longer able to connect to the device via the ST-Link.

How did you proceed exactly in your case?

Thank you

Cheers

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2021, 07:40:05 pm »
You can easily dump it via ST Link adapter and SWD interface

ZhuraYuk how did you proceed with getting a dump of the STM32 flash? I struggled a bit to obtain the image: first I tried connecting all the 4 pins of the programming interface (including power) to a ST-Link V2 clone, and could not connect to the target device.

Then I tried not providing power from the ST-Link v2, but instead put the batteries in the LCR and power it up, and in that case was able to connect to the target and obtain the firmware image. Did that a couple of times with success. But afterwards I ran a open circuit self-calibration and tried to get another dump afterwards (to compare which areas are written when calibration is done), and was no longer able to connect to the device via the ST-Link.

How did you proceed exactly in your case?

Thank you

Cheers

I did in same way as you with powered on state  and on batteries, but did not performed any self calibration.

Offline teixeluis

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2021, 11:06:15 pm »
Thanks for the feedback @ZhuraYuk

Meanwhile I was also able to successfully extract a dump via USB using DfuSe Demo (v3.0.6). By leaving the R-X button pressed while pressing the power button until it beeps, the device enters DFU mode (this is described in the manual btw). We are then able to use Dfuse Demo to obtain the dfu dump using the "Upload Action" feature. Curiosly the tool detects 3 different flash devices. Not sure what the deal is there, because I couldn't find in the PCB any devices minimally resembling the M25P64 or M29W128F flash chips listed in the tool (see attached photo).

The Internal flash dump is successful and matches the dump I have obtained before via ST-Link. There are a few bytes in a isolated region of the dump (address 0x00071800) which have different values. My guess is that this corresponds to the self-calibration data, because of open-circuit run that I have performed between dumps. In order to compare the two dumps, I have converted the dfu file obtained from DfuSe Demo into a regular bin file using the DfuFileMgr tool.

Selecting the M25P64 SPI flash causes the device to hang at 6 % into the download process. For the M29W128F NOR flash the process takes a while and produces a 16 MB dump, which besides a small header and footer is filled with 0x00.

I have also attached these dumps. At a first glance it seems relatively safe to play with the SCPI commands having these backups and assuming that all the factory calibration data is contained within. There is however one 8 pin chip in the board with the markings grinded off which could ultimately be an SPI flash, even though judging by the traces and where it is placed, it looks more like something related with the signal processing (perhaps some special trade secret ADC that they are using?  :P).

Cheers

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2021, 01:32:57 am »
could be a adc ??  since the preceding ic is a sgm3002 (dual switch)

Offline teixeluis

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2021, 02:31:15 pm »
@coromonadalix, could be a good candidate.. Pin 2 and 3 seem to be differential inputs (each switched by the sgm3002). Maybe something similar to the MCP3201.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2021, 02:40:37 pm »
if the chip is buffered you could try with a wet finger or alcohol,  trying to see if you can read the ic markings ??

Offline bianchifan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2021, 03:24:38 pm »
could be a adc ??  since the preceding ic is a sgm3002 (dual switch)
Voltlog's teardown shows it as the same type as the one left down in crop -> AD8052ARZ
" alt="" class="bbc_img" />

The following users thanked this post: teixeluis, coromonadalix

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2021, 03:27:21 pm »
It is worth noting that when the device is connected via USB, the output has a significant DC offset, besides being somewhat noisy (see attached screenshot).

No wonder - because there's no isolation barrier in any of three instruments devices you interconnected.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 03:34:57 pm by ogden »

Offline teixeluis

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2021, 03:11:56 pm »
After a little more digging, and with the help of Ghidra, I was able to confirm my suspicion that this could also be done via SCPI.

As previously explained I first found that the 
Code: [Select]
fact:model command existed. I tried to use it for writing a different model string, but the command simply returns the same output as if I would be calling "fact:model ?" (query command).

Going through the code, I learned that debug mode had to be activated before being able to call commands that write factory data. The trick was how to enter debug mode.
Then I found that there is an SCPI command for doing just that.

In a nutshell, for changing the model, we have to first enter a SCPI session (I am using Keysight Connection Expert, which is the tool that is provided with this LCR meter), and do the following:

1. Enter debug mode:
Type:
calib:hantek_enter_debug_cmdand click "Send & Read"

2. Change the model string:
Type:
fact:model "Hantek1833C"and click "Send Command"

3. Save the changed setting to the flash:
fact:saveand click "Send & Read"

4. Exit debug mode:
calib:hantek_exit_debug_cmdand click "Send & Read"

After this is done, the expected model number should appear in the "SYSTEM INF" screen (pressing twice in the SET button). The 50/75 and 100 KHz frequency modes should now also become selectable via the buttons, as well as the 300 mV level.

I confirmed with the oscilloscope that the new frequencies and level are consistent with the selected values.

It is probably a good idea to run the user calibration for both open and closed circuit.

There is of course (as I mentioned initially) the high likelyhood that above 40 KHz the factory calibration is not accurate or valid, because it is doubtable that they would bother calibrating modes that are not intended to be accessible.

There are various other commands in the calib: group that appear to serve the purpose of setting the factory calibration, but I have not gone through those, and it is somewhat irrelevant without the proper reference equipment.

I hope this is helpful. In my perspective the advantage that I see  in this approach, is being able to use the factory firmware. In my particular unit it is apparently more recent than the one published in the vendor website.

You can find attached the screenshots of the sections of the flash memory that change after the commands are sent.

Cheers

« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 03:25:20 pm by teixeluis »

The following users thanked this post: kripton2035, thm_w, coromonadalix, ogden, ru_tash, Microcheap, Dwaine, golftango, yg188

Offline Dwaine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2021, 06:08:27 pm »
I just bought one.  I'll try the SCPI commands and see if it works.   Thanks for this hard work.

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2021, 06:43:36 pm »
There is of course (as I mentioned initially) the high likelyhood that above 40 KHz the factory calibration is not accurate or valid, because it is doubtable that they would bother calibrating modes that are not intended to be accessible.

Very nice work, thanks for all the details. I got my 1832 working as 1833 simply by installing the firmware update from Hantek website. After that, I compared some measurements with a DE-5000 and they were spot on or very close.
I will try to do a more detailed comparison and I'll post here the results.

The following users thanked this post: teixeluis

Offline teixeluis

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2021, 03:55:32 pm »
I have added some more details regarding this work here:

https://www.creationfactory.co/2021/03/reverse-engineering-and-unlocking.html

I was able to discriminate between the factory calibration commands, but determining its syntax is still WIP.

Some measurements that I have taken suggest that above 40 KHz calibration might be somewhat off even though not unusable. More details there too.

Cheers

Offline hpw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2021, 05:32:53 pm »

About those Hantek LCR's:

1) How you guys measure a 1pF SMD capacity  :-DD

2) Any know 4 pol cable set for external measurements (as SMD crap)  ;D

Hp

Offline teixeluis

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2021, 11:35:36 am »

Hp

There is this guy who designed a custom PCB for the 4-wire measurements connector and shared a few indications on how to build one:

https://hackaday.com/2020/08/28/creating-kelvin-test-leads-for-four-wire-measurments/

His PCB can be ordered here:

https://www.tindie.com/products/voltlog/lcr-meter-kelvin-test-lead-adapter-pcb/

There is also this COTS product, which in principle should also fit in the Hantek LCR connector:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001038783823.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.5dc91ac6aML8W4&algo_pvid=26e04144-93b3-47df-a78e-11f9dbe4833e&algo_expid=26e04144-93b3-47df-a78e-11f9dbe4833e-0&btsid=0b0a556816184860906842581ef6d1&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

I personally did a slightly more makeshift cable using what I had available, except for the alligator clips, which I have ordered:

Offline hpw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2021, 06:41:54 am »

Hp

There is this guy who designed a custom PCB for the 4-wire measurements connector and shared a few indications on how to build one:

https://hackaday.com/2020/08/28/creating-kelvin-test-leads-for-four-wire-measurments/

His PCB can be ordered here:

https://www.tindie.com/products/voltlog/lcr-meter-kelvin-test-lead-adapter-pcb/

There is also this COTS product, which in principle should also fit in the Hantek LCR connector:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001038783823.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.5dc91ac6aML8W4&algo_pvid=26e04144-93b3-47df-a78e-11f9dbe4833e&algo_expid=26e04144-93b3-47df-a78e-11f9dbe4833e-0&btsid=0b0a556816184860906842581ef6d1&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

I personally did a slightly more makeshift cable using what I had available, except for the alligator clips, which I have ordered:

Thank you for the given links!!

I was searching on ali without any success... then showed up different probes and different LCR gears...

Do you have to calibrate each time you start the 1832c, while always about 7pF off/idle, then after calibration about 0.02pF off..

Also the question rises:

. whether the cables should be shielded (may to most important as to the end of the clips) as pairs or each as 4 cables have large idle capacity calibrate

. it is a pain that even Hantek do not provide any tools and information about

. how sensitive remains the clip touched or untouched

. any guidelines seen or given how to measure a 805 SMD 1pF

. while the display as in 0.000x pF and any successful/reachable measurements going that low  ::)

Hp

Offline teixeluis

• Contributor
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2021, 05:29:14 pm »
Hi @hpw,

Do you have to calibrate each time you start the 1832c, while always about 7pF off/idle, then after calibration about 0.02pF off..

I had success with the following approach for sub-pF measurements. If it's accurate enough I can't tell, because I don't have a very exact 1 pF capacitor at hand:

- perform the normal open and closed circuit calibrations;
 - press REL to zero out the reading. With the kelvin probes, the value barely fluctuates (0.1 - 0.2 pF at most when you grab these, compared to the 10+ pF with the regular  2 wire clips)

Also the question rises:

. whether the cables should be shielded (may to most important as to the end of the clips) as pairs or each as 4 cables have large idle capacity calibrate

It is expected that with shielding you are able to reduce the leakage current at the surface of the conductors, so it improves the accuracy slightly.
It should become more important if you use higher frequencies for the measurements.

. it is a pain that even Hantek do not provide any tools and information about

. how sensitive remains the clip touched or untouched

Much less than with the regular probes, as I have explained above.

. any guidelines seen or given how to measure a 805 SMD 1pF

. while the display as in 0.000x pF and any successful/reachable measurements going that low  ::)

The noise floor is quite high for anything below 0.1 pF. At least with my setup..

Cheers

Offline Dwaine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2021, 09:33:39 pm »
After a little more digging, and with the help of Ghidra, I was able to confirm my suspicion that this could also be done via SCPI.

As previously explained I first found that the 
fact:model command existed. I tried to use it for writing a different model string, but the command simply returns the same output as if I would be calling "fact:model ?" (query command).

Going through the code, I learned that debug mode had to be activated before being able to call commands that write factory data. The trick was how to enter debug mode.
Then I found that there is an SCPI command for doing just that.

In a nutshell, for changing the model, we have to first enter a SCPI session (I am using Keysight Connection Expert, which is the tool that is provided with this LCR meter), and do the following:

1. Enter debug mode:
Type:
calib:hantek_enter_debug_cmdand click "Send & Read"

2. Change the model string:
Type:
fact:model "Hantek1833C"and click "Send Command"

3. Save the changed setting to the flash:
fact:saveand click "Send & Read"

4. Exit debug mode:
calib:hantek_exit_debug_cmdand click "Send & Read"

After this is done, the expected model number should appear in the "SYSTEM INF" screen (pressing twice in the SET button). The 50/75 and 100 KHz frequency modes should now also become selectable via the buttons, as well as the 300 mV level.

I confirmed with the oscilloscope that the new frequencies and level are consistent with the selected values.

It is probably a good idea to run the user calibration for both open and closed circuit.

There are various other commands in the calib: group that appear to serve the purpose of setting the factory calibration, but I have not gone through those, and it is somewhat irrelevant without the proper reference equipment.

I hope this is helpful. In my perspective the advantage that I see  in this approach, is being able to use the factory firmware. In my particular unit it is apparently more recent than the one published in the vendor website.

You can find attached the screenshots of the sections of the flash memory that change after the commands are sent.

Cheers

I just got my device today.  Confirming that the above SCPI commands were successful at changing my device to a 1833C

Thanks

The following users thanked this post: teixeluis, golftango

Offline rickypr

« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2021, 12:22:12 pm »
Thanks for all the useful information.

I want to purchase my first LCR and have been researching for sub $150 units. The DE-5000 is the most recommended unit in this price range, but the Hantek unit got my attention for its TFT LCD, integrated USB-C and 18650 batteries. It is tempting to purchase the 1832C and unlocking the extra test frequencies and voltage. The Hantek 1832C costs $111.99 and the DE-5000 costs $103.87 on Amazon. Which one would you choose? Thanks!

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2021, 02:19:37 pm »
the hantek doesn't come with kelvin plugs or tweezers test plug  maybe add 20-25$ usd for each, even hacked  the calibration procedures are unknown (not the open close calibration)

the de5000 can come fully equiped for around 120$ usd,  minus the red casing and the usb interface,

At the moment i use an de5000,  cant ask more for now  loll

until the last bits of the 1832c to 1833c conversion are known,  personally i would not purchase it.

Offline rickypr

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2021, 03:33:59 pm »
Thanks for your input!

Offline teixeluis

• Contributor
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2021, 08:56:49 pm »
I haven't confirmed personally yet, but apparently there is a hardware tweak that is needed so that measurements above 40 KHz are correct. This was provided by a reader, it needs further confirmation, but sounds promising:

https://www.creationfactory.co/2021/03/reverse-engineering-and-unlocking.html?showComment=1622733342560#c2775361835350856538

Cheers

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2021, 12:01:58 am »
Copy pasted from the previous link:

Capacitors C66, C67, C68, C69 are located near the reference resistors and form an RC filter with them at a frequency of 45 kHz. When calibrating, at a frequency higher than this, the capacitors shunt the reference resistors and the calibration is incorrect. I realized this when measuring an accurate resistor of 10,000kΩ, at a frequency of 100kHz it showed 30kΩ. After removing 4 capacitors and calibrating, it began to show 10,000 kΩ at all frequencies. To memorize the calibration results, press the SET button 3 times and after turning on the device, the calibration settings are saved

Just need an 1833 owner to confirm theses capacitors / resistors values

Offline Russ3000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2021, 11:57:21 am »
Copy pasted from the previous link:

....... To memorize the calibration results, press the SET button 3 times and after turning on the device, the calibration settings are saved....

It has not been possible to do this yet, the device remembers the calibration only until it is turned off.

Posted by developers
https://www.eediscuss.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=15195&extra=page%3D1
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 09:19:07 am by Russ3000 »

Offline kreutz

« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2021, 02:53:52 pm »
I haven't confirmed personally yet, but apparently there is a hardware tweak that is needed so that measurements above 40 KHz are correct. This was provided by a reader, it needs further confirmation, but sounds promising.............

Does the 1833 model have those capacitors installed?

Offline Russ3000

• Regular Contributor

Offline hpw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2021, 11:02:40 am »
I realized this when measuring an accurate resistor of 10,000kΩ, at a frequency of 100kHz it showed 30kΩ. After removing 4 capacitors and calibrating, it began to show 10,000 kΩ at all frequencies. To memorize the calibration results, press the SET button 3 times and after turning on the device, the calibration settings are saved

Just need an 1833 owner to confirm theses capacitors / resistors values

Will test the calibration overwriting procedure. I ordered various ALI 4 pol and for SMD only the crocodile made enugh pressure for good contacts otherwise fishing into dark...

Even SMD coils an 100kHz was required! But not for Audio transformers as 10H ..

Tested using my original 1833c with an 1206SMD 10k resistor.... 100kHz showed may 400E lower resistor value.

Will load soon the early given 2021 FW, while still not seen on Hantek web.

Offline hpw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2021, 12:51:12 pm »

So did the update procedure...

a) yeah, hold TX button while off and connect the PC, then the compare button lamp lights on

b) files are different in size as the old one (LCR2020101001.dfu = 125k, LCR2021061501.dfu = 513k)

c) after upload, it shows still as LCR2020101001, so what changed and what is different??  :-DD

d) did the calibration open and closed using 4 pol model, than 3 x SET and than ... open value shown as -------

e) tested the same SMD 1206 10K  resistor, 100Hz about 9.98K ... 100kHz about 9.977K  :-DD

Hp

Offline Russ3000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2021, 08:38:47 am »
After flashing the device with a new firmware, it became 1832C again, I had to apply the Teixeluis method, everything worked out great.
But the device did not remember the calibration after turning off, I decided to try to enter the device into debug mode, while the red inscription "DEBUG" lights up on the device screen next to the battery, disconnected the device from the computer, the inscription remained, did the calibration open and closed, connected 1833C to computer, wrote the command "fact: save" and exited debug mode. Now, when you turn on the power, the device loads the calibration that I did.
Good luck!

The following users thanked this post: ru_tash, yg188

Offline Russ3000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2021, 08:45:17 am »

c) after upload, it shows still as LCR2020101001, so what changed and what is different??  :-DD

I have it flashed and shows version 20210615.

Offline hpw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2021, 07:58:52 pm »

@Russ300" I have it flashed and shows version 20210615."

Now have the  same FW...

I did used the "Upload action" as will come a "Save As" dialog.... so not really "rubio" proved  :-DD

so UPGRADE or Verify action is the group box to use

Than after calibration 3x set button.

Testing the resistor did not change any thing, values as already given

Thanks

Hp

Offline hpw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2021, 08:49:05 pm »

So did the the 3x SET button test, whether it holds latest calibration. Using a 4 pol kelvin smd probe

. switch on, change to Cap: 8.3pF

. switch to R and do open calibration while shorted does not influence the cap calibration

. do 3x SET button

. switch to Cap: about 0.04pF after calibration

. do 3x SET button

. switch off

. switch off

. on Cap : again 8.3pf, so calibration saving is a nightmare  |O

Hp

Offline Russ3000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2021, 07:42:20 am »
How to make the device remember the calibration after turning off the power is described in my post above, for this you need the Keysight Interactive IO program.How to do it is described here
https://www.creationfactory.co/2021/03/reverse-engineering-and-unlocking.html?showComment=1622733342560#c2775361835350856538

I decided to try to enter the device into debug mode, while the red inscription "DEBUG" lights up on the device screen next to the battery, disconnected the device from the computer, the inscription remained, did the calibration open and closed, connected 1833C to computer, wrote the command "fact: save" and exited debug mode. Now, when you turn on the power, the device loads the calibration that I did.

Offline hpw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2021, 05:16:48 pm »
OK,

to get the calibration save, you need to put the device in debug mode.

While installed latest Keysight bunch, using Win 10 64bit as 20H1, installed Win8 64 bit driver, things went on... USB entry seen and then no connection

So the questions:

. OS used as Win??

. using IOLibSuite_17_2_20605_2 only

. installed also the driver as VCP_V1.5.0_Setup_W8_x64_64bits.exe ??

. and before starting the LCR, put the 183xC first in DFU mode or not??

IMHO it is not very clear to me, how your working setup is

Hp

Offline Russ3000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2021, 06:53:43 pm »
OK,

So the questions:

. OS used as Win??

. using IOLibSuite_17_2_20605_2 only

. installed also the driver as VCP_V1.5.0_Setup_W8_x64_64bits.exe ??

. and before starting the LCR, put the 183xC first in DFU mode or not??

IMHO it is not very clear to me, how your working setup is

Hp

Win 7 64bits
Driver not install and no DFU mode.
I launch the Keysight Interactive IO program, turn on the device and plug in the USB connector, after 5 seconds the device is visible in the program and a green checkmark appears

1231158-0

« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 06:55:34 pm by Russ3000 »

Offline hpw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2021, 08:50:09 pm »

OK, important is to start the keysight stuff after device connections.

Did the procedure as on my 1833C, and did not helped on Cap, even now the resistors in open mode gets crazy on various frequencies even showing now negative resistor values as -20MOhms.  :-DD

So would love a real calibration store button sequence on the gear, what works even on Cap's  :popcorn:

Hp

Offline Russ3000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2021, 06:27:15 am »
It is necessary to wash the board with isopropanol, after which the device works more stable.

Offline hpw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2021, 09:45:55 am »
It is necessary to wash the board with isopropanol, after which the device works more stable.

Look, as long my 1833C (not tweaked) is on warranty no openings will happen.

As

. 20210615 is from unknown source
. may a test field release with unknown changes as it looks as digits truncation's only)
. debug & save calibrations get's my into >:D
. cleaning to get ride of solder dust
. may re-soldering as Chinese Chicas / Rubias as none valuable

so Hantek should be more opened and serious what's going on in that matter   :popcorn:

Hp

Offline FlashPT

« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2021, 06:18:51 pm »
Hello,

Could you please tell me what are the values of capacitors
C66,C67, C68 AND C69https://www.eevblog.com/forum/Smileys/default/embarrassed.gif
Hantek 2833 100khzhttps://www.eevblog.com/forum/Smileys/default/bangheadonwall.gif

Thanks

Fernando

Offline Dwaine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2021, 08:16:22 pm »
The new firmware is posted on Hantek website now.

LCR2021061501.zip
http://www.hantek.com/products/detail/16180

Offline affa

« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2021, 07:05:48 pm »
Does the 1833 model have those capacitors installed?

Yes the caps are there in the 1833c

I took one for the team and got a 1833c just to see. I was going to get the 1832 but it was only about 30aud diff.

I would get you guys the capacitor values but unfort I am marooned in here due to covid and all my toys more sophisticated than a DMM are in a different country. I do have a line on a agilent 1733c but I'll need to fix it for my friend before it can be used. if anyone has a U1731/1732/1733c please PM me to confirm some component values (they're blown on this one). Sooner I get it fixed the sooner we can get to the bottom of this.

cheers,
affa

Offline affa

« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2021, 02:19:05 pm »
Ok, here we go.

I've taken the capacitors out of circuit for measurement just to be sure. Measurement was done by a Aligent 1733c. I've taken the liberty to present the nearest EIA values. Actual measured values in the pix.

C66 (// with 100k) = 56pF
C67 (// with 10k) = 220pF
C68 (// with 1k) = 470pF
C69 (// with 100R) = 1nF

cheers,
affa
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 04:06:10 pm by affa »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, coromonadalix, Russ3000

Offline Russ3000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2021, 10:44:24 am »
affa, try measuring a 10k resistor at 100kHz. If possible, show a high resolution photo of the board 1833. Thanks.

Offline djQUAN

• Frequent Contributor
    • My DIY website
« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2021, 01:16:32 pm »
C66 (// with 100k) = 56pF
C67 (// with 10k) = 220pF
C68 (// with 1k) = 470pF
C69 (// with 100R) = 1nF

I have just received my 1832C and modded it as per teixeluis' method using Keysight IO which worked a treat. Then I checked the 10k resistor test and got the same 30k reading at 100khz. I measured the caps and they are the same as above so I tried the 'remove them all' trick. The 10k resistor test passed but the capacitance mode is jumping all around and cal would not complete without error.

Running open and shorted cal with the 4 caps installed with 1833 functionality completes successfully but the 10k resistor test still fails.

Even the 300mV readings differ from the 600mV readings so I guess even the voltage level has different cal values too.

Ended up putting the caps and 1832 name back for now until we figure something out eventually.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 02:24:10 pm by djQUAN »

Offline Russ3000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2021, 02:42:59 pm »
Everything is perfectly calibrated for me without capacitors, probably you need to try to count the capacitors at a cutoff frequency of about 150 kHz and solder them.

C66 (// with 100k) = 10pF
C67 (// with 10k) = 100pF
And these capacitors can be left as they are.
C68 (// with 1k) = 470pF
C69 (// with 100R) = 1nF
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 02:47:34 pm by Russ3000 »

Offline djQUAN

• Frequent Contributor
    • My DIY website
« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2021, 06:58:00 am »
Everything is perfectly calibrated for me without capacitors, probably you need to try to count the capacitors at a cutoff frequency of about 150 kHz and solder them.

C66 (// with 100k) = 10pF
C67 (// with 10k) = 100pF
And these capacitors can be left as they are.
C68 (// with 1k) = 470pF
C69 (// with 100R) = 1nF

I gave it a try and the result is not perfect but useable. The readings still jump but only a few pf now. Before, it was wild at almost 100pf random values.

And the result with the 10k resistor test is more sensible but the reading has a slight rolloff. 9.66k from 100Hz to 40k then 9.57k @50khz, 9.52k @ 75kHz, 9.45k @100khz.

Not perfectly calibrated but I could use it to estimate the DUT's response at higher frequencies. 100Hz to 40kHz calibration does not seem to be affected.

edit: I did both open and short calibration before performing the above testing. I also used 15pf instead of 10pf for no change in displayed value but a little more stable readings.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 10:14:23 am by djQUAN »

Offline golftango

• Contributor
  • /guy (73 de kg5gt | wqpz784)
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2023, 09:23:22 pm »
i realize how old this thread is, but it's the best one i see on the board. i just got an 1832c in today (taking forever to charge--it will not charge if you try to use any charger which has some sort of protocol overlay like pd or qc and despite the fact it should charge in 2.6 hours at 1A, or do you have to double that to 5.2 hours for 2x2600mah 18650s?

in any event, even though i have a mac running an 'emulator', i'd like to try to recover the 100khz freq setting. does anyone know if you succeed doing that does it still work like factory up to 40khz and only go wonky at 100khz? i would not like to do any hardware mods as i have horrible vision.

have there been any other advances or reveals since the last post here?

tks mucho! /guy (73 de kg5gt | wqpz784)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2023, 10:40:09 am »
It looks like the analog part of Hantek is pretty similar with East Tester ET431 LCR meter board.  It is probably a really good design if other are licensing/copying it.

Offline u666sa

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2023, 03:49:04 pm »
Dump, obtained via Dfuse. This is Hantek 1833C (1833C not 1832)
stock, before any firmware upgrade.
Model Hantek1833C
Software V 20210615AM
Hardware V 1

Perhaps this firmware contains calibration data.

NOTE: Dfuse said something about this firmware to be in DFU mode, can't remember precise wording.

Offline streametch

« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2023, 05:38:54 pm »
If we check Accuracy table here http://www.hantek.com/products/detail/16180, you see that on 75/100kHz device have worst preciese,  any reason to unlock this frequency on 1832?  ;)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 05:41:23 pm by streametch »

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2023, 12:21:39 am »
normally on the 1832 hack 
you have some part values to change and find the correct way to hack it,   and  you may or will need to calibrate it correctly, since the 1832stop at lower than 100khz

Offline ru_tash

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2023, 04:15:16 pm »
normally on the 1832 hack 
you have some part values to change and find the correct way to hack it,   and  you may or will need to calibrate it correctly, since the 1832stop at lower than 100khz

I have an issue (or may be feature?) with my Hantek 1832c, when it works with batteries the output measurements signal is interrupted every 20 seconds, the duration of interruptions about 50-60mS, the measured values on display slightly jumping after that (1-3%).
But when device powered through USB power supply this not happened, signal is continuous and readings are more or less stable.

can somebody check their 1832c/1833c for this behavior?

Offline hexreader

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2023, 09:04:07 pm »
I tried my 1833C measuring 1000 Ohm resistor, 120Hz, 600mV fast.

The short period of no waveform appears to be normal. Why it should only occur while on battery is surprising, but appears to be totally harmless. I would forget this "feature"

As for poor accuracy when powered from USB, the fix is to remove your oscilloscope leads.
Connecting scope and leads will affect the measurement circuit. You are adding a nice long radio aerial to the circuit. There is a reason that the supplied croc leads are really short.
Furthermore, you are providing a ground loop when scope is attached. There will be capacitance between the mains supply and the USB output of your charger. Not an issue when the output is floating (no scope attached), but will allow 50/60 Hz current flow when output is grounded through scope.

Lesson is: Do not connect scope, or anything else while measuring. A good example of a measuring device affecting the circuit under test.

Your LCR meter should be accurate with short leads and no external connections.

Offline ru_tash

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2023, 03:47:55 am »
I tried my 1833C measuring 1000 Ohm resistor, 120Hz, 600mV fast.

The short period of no waveform appears to be normal. Why it should only occur while on battery is surprising, but appears to be totally harmless. I would forget this "feature"

As for poor accuracy when powered from USB, the fix is to remove your oscilloscope leads.
Connecting scope and leads will affect the measurement circuit. You are adding a nice long radio aerial to the circuit. There is a reason that the supplied croc leads are really short.
Furthermore, you are providing a ground loop when scope is attached. There will be capacitance between the mains supply and the USB output of your charger. Not an issue when the output is floating (no scope attached), but will allow 50/60 Hz current flow when output is grounded through scope.

Lesson is: Do not connect scope, or anything else while measuring. A good example of a measuring device affecting the circuit under test.

Your LCR meter should be accurate with short leads and no external connections.

Ironically, the situation other way around, when powered from battery the readings are jumping each 20seconds, when powered from USB no jumping.
And this is observed when measured component is directly plugged in, please try L-measurements, I used 1.6microH inductance and 40kHz frequency, 600mV, fast, serial.
on USB: it shows initially 1.630 then fluctuating (1.625-1.635)
on battery: it shows initially 1.630 then fluctuating (1.610-1.660)
to make it more demonstrative i turn-on "Compare" with 1% tolerance
« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 04:12:00 am by ru_tash »

Offline hexreader

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2023, 06:34:12 am »
Yes, I see what you mean

Accuracy seems to be better and more stable when using USB power.

The manual suggests that you should expect accuracy of only 4 percent + 5 digits, so you are still within quoted specification values.

Guess I will be using USB power more often in future 

EDIT: - running with USB cable from a 37Wh battery bank seems to be fairly stable, as might be expected.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 09:24:22 am by hexreader »

The following users thanked this post: ru_tash

Offline ru_tash

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #79 on: December 22, 2023, 08:04:38 am »
Yes, I see what you mean

Accuracy seems to be better and more stable when using USB power.

The manual suggests that you should expect accuracy of only 4 percent + 5 digits, so you are still within quoted specification values.

Guess I will be using USB power more often in future

I am thinking to remove or disable USB charging part and re-connect battery to USB side.
Before your comments I thought that my device is faulty*, and I tried to find root-cause in the SGM2019 linear voltage regulators (there are two of them, I guess one for USB->3.3V another for battery->3.3V).
Now I am more prone to suspect SW bug.
Taking into account that SW was not updated since 2021, Hantek has no more support.

Offline MIRW

• Отделение Сочи Батумское шоссе_01908_С 354207, Сочи г, Батумское шоссе ул, д.57А
« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2023, 09:09:08 am »
Hello! Help needed. Changed the Hantek 1832C firmware to Hantek 1833C. Everything is up. Calibrated. But the inductance measurements are not correct, from 10 kHz and above at 1.10 and 100 kohms instead of zeros, readings from 20 to 30 ohms. Maybe someone has an original Dump from Hantek 1832C. So that you can roll back the firmware. Thank you in advance!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 09:55:53 am by MIRW »

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81 on: December 22, 2023, 12:53:39 pm »
it's not just the firmware you need to change, you have passive parts too

Offline ru_tash

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2023, 12:59:17 pm »
Hello! Help needed. Changed the Hantek 1832C firmware to Hantek 1833C. Everything is up. Calibrated. But the inductance measurements are not correct, from 10 kHz and above at 1.10 and 100 kohms instead of zeros, readings from 20 to 30 ohms. Maybe someone has an original Dump from Hantek 1832C. So that you can roll back the firmware. Thank you in advance!
how do you change the firmware?

seems like it is "normal", my shows similar  :phew:
set Range to Auto and you will not see this.

Offline MIRW

• Отделение Сочи Батумское шоссе_01908_С 354207, Сочи г, Батумское шоссе ул, д.57А
« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2023, 05:28:59 pm »
Download the software to change the firmware (http://hantek.com/download?key=fjzl&sid=3019&pid=16180&word=).
Launch the software, connect the cable, simultaneously hold down the power button and (X-R) after the beep, release it, the (compare) button will flash, and upload the firmware.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2023, 07:07:17 am by MIRW »

Offline MIRW

« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2023, 05:34:35 pm »
it's not just the firmware you need to change, you have passive parts too

You mean replacing C66 and C67 with 10 and 100 pf.

Offline ru_tash

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #85 on: December 23, 2023, 03:59:26 am »
Download the software to change the firmware (http://hantek.com/download?key=fjzl&sid=3019&pid=16180&word=).
Launch the software, connect the cable, simultaneously hold down the power button and (X-R) after the beep, release it, the (compare) button will flash, and upload the firmware.
there is no specific software for 1832 and 1833 model.
only one for both.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2023, 04:02:20 am by ru_tash »

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2024, 12:06:28 am »
I just got he 1833C.

I don't understand the device at all.

What is an "Rs" reading? Why is there a frequency tied to an "R" reading?
L C R meter.
Inductance, Capacitance, Resistance.
The "R" reading should be a DC reading, no?

The only way to derive Inductance and Capacitance is to measure RDC and Z, so how does the unit calculate L or C without doing a true RDC reading?

And what fequency does he unit put out? I put the test leads on scope and got no signal at all.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 12:12:30 am by Randy222 »

Offline ru_tash

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2024, 04:20:59 pm »
I just got he 1833C.

L C R meter.

The only way to derive Inductance and Capacitance is to measure RDC and Z, so how does the unit calculate L or C without doing a true RDC reading?

And what fequency does he unit put out? I put the test leads on scope and got no signal at all.

Rs is the series resistance measurement via AC.
The AC frequency you set up via menu.

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2024, 05:06:29 pm »
Most of the LCR meters we're familiar with don't actually measure resistance, nor capacitance, nor inductance directly, they measure/set the voltage across the DUT and measure/set the current thru DUT. These measurements also includes the phase relationship between the DUT voltage and current for AC.

The DUT impedance is then calculated as vectors V/I, and for DC (no phase relationship) this is simply the DCR, and for everything else this is Impedance Magnitude Z with angle Theta. From here the Real and Imaginary Impedance R +-jX can be computed and then distilled into various additional displayed parameters using the measurement frequency and results in the familiar Cs + Rs, Cp +Rp, Ls +Rs, Lp + Rp and the related admittances.

Some handheld LCR meters such as the DE-5000 utilize a special chip-set that does most of the measurement and computational work with a few precision discrete components, however the bench type LCR meters like the Tonghui and Hioki we have, are more complex and precise, utilizing highly precision discrete components, various analog and digital chip sets and techniques, with high resolution/precision ADCs and various FPGAs, thus the additional measurement ranges and cost factors.

Best, 
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2024, 07:19:29 pm »
I just got he 1833C.

L C R meter.

Rs is the series resistance measurement via AC.
The AC frequency you set up via menu.

Can you help me understand how the meter works.

Z is really Z(f), and its the vector add of X(f) + R where X= XL(f) + XC(f), and we know XL and XC has phase shift.
We should also expect a reading of L or C to remain constant when changing the test frequency.

We also know only the real components dissipate power.
So, lets say I have a pure resistor, 0XL and 0XC, then AC analysis is ok.
But now I have a wirewound resistor, how does the meter tell me the real component Rdc using an AC signal?

And in real world application, all components have some R, XL, and XC.

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2024, 08:00:57 pm »
An ideal capacitor would have an impedance of 1/(jwC), thus purely reactive and at -90 degrees for all frequencies. Real capacitors have some resistance (Real part), and inductance (Z=jwL), so as frequency increases the impedance angle rises towards 0 from ~-90 as the inductive reactance comes into play.

When the capacitor impedance angle equals zero the inductive reactance has canceled the capacitive reactance and only the real impedance part remains, at this frequency the capacitor is at series resonance. Beyond this frequency the inductive reactance dominates and the impedance angle increases from 0.

So the capacitor Impedance Magnitude decreases with frequency (Capacitive) until Series Resonance, where it becomes only the Real part, then increases with frequency (Inductive).

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/lcr-meter-plot-software/msg4774100/#msg4774100

Best,

« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 08:03:29 pm by mawyatt »
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2024, 08:11:56 pm »
An ideal capacitor would have an impedance of 1/(jwC), thus purely reactive and at -90 degrees for all frequencies. Real capacitors have some resistance (Real part), and inductance (Z=jwL), so as frequency increases the impedance angle rises towards 0 from ~-90 as the inductive reactance comes into play.

When the capacitor impedance angle equals zero the inductive reactance has canceled the capacitive reactance and only the real impedance part remains, at this frequency the capacitor is at series resonance. Beyond this frequency the inductive reactance dominates and the impedance angle increases from 0.

So the capacitor Impedance Magnitude decreases with frequency (Capacitive) until Series Resonance, where it becomes only the Real part, then increases with frequency (Inductive).

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/lcr-meter-plot-software/msg4774100/#msg4774100

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=370133.0;attach=1746491;image

Best,
So a freq sweep yields a notch, and the notch for the cap is the ESR point ?
The 1833 does a freq sweep? If it did, is 100Hz-100kHz enough sweep to find the notch?

Is it just not more simple to do an Rdc measurement to find the real component, then do AC sweep to characterize Z, and from there simple math to get L and C ?

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2024, 08:37:10 pm »

So a freq sweep yields a notch, and the notch for the cap is the ESR point ?
The 1833 does a freq sweep? If it did, is 100Hz-100kHz enough sweep to find the notch?

Is it just not more simple to do an Rdc measurement to find the real component, then do AC sweep to characterize Z, and from there simple math to get L and C ?

The sweep shows the resonance notch if extended in frequency range far enough, this is why we have the $4600 Hioki IM3536 which extends to 8MHz. The ESR is always within the capacitive impedance, just shows singly when capacitor is in series resonance as shown, where and only where the capacitor Impedance is ESR.

Using DCR for a capacitor ESR likely won't work, since after all it's a capacitor ;)

Most LCR meters we're familiar with show the Capacitance and ESR at frequency, so they do the math for you, some even show 4 parameters!!

We created these capacitor frequency sweeps with a custom python program we wrote for the Tonghui and Hioki LCR meters we have, see link above.

Best,

~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: Randy222

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2024, 10:16:00 pm »
I can freq sweep for Z out to about 6GHz with good results, up to 8GHz with ok results, using a $150 VNA.

But that's not really what I am asking about.

The 1833 has the 5wire Kelvin connection (4w test). If I clamp a simple carbon resistor and measure Rs, Rs should not change when I go from 10kHz to 100kHz.

How about just 10cm of cat5 twisted pair (one pair) with the ends tied. There's some L there, along with wire Rdc.
Slow speed, 300mV:
On 100Hz
Rs not even stable, jumps around from 0.3746 to 0.4204
Ls reads -28uH to 6uH

On 10kHz
Rs 0.2143 to 0.2407
Ls 2.36uH to 2.47uH
X 0.1553

on 10kHz, 1833 tells me Z is 0.3859
sqrt(XL2 + Rs2) != 0.3859

With an LCR meter, it would be good to have all 4 values on screen at same time (LCRZ) so when you press HOLD you can validate the HOLD numbers using math.

1833 is not right, math not adding up right.

I have two interesting links to share, I have to go grab them from another laptop.

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #94 on: January 24, 2024, 10:43:26 pm »
The 1833 has the 5wire Kelvin connection (4w test). If I clamp a simple carbon resistor and measure Rs, Rs should not change when I go from 10kHz to 100kHz.

I posted these results from my 1833C in the EastTester thread. For the 10K 1% metal film resistor I used, Rs was constant from 100Hz to 10KHz. Once I hit 40KHz, Rs increased about 10 Ohms up through 100KHz. So +0.1% at the higher frequencies. At these values, there was no difference between 2W and 4W measurements.

EDIT: Fixed forum link
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 01:06:55 pm by Veteran68 »

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #95 on: January 24, 2024, 11:23:47 pm »
From Vishay datasheet on their carbon film made items
Generally as far as HF characteristics on film
resistors are concerned, we noted that up to approximately
10MHz they operate as real resistors. By increasing the
frequency, more and more reactive components can be produced.

1. Resistors < 100 Ω are all inductive.
2. Resistors between 100 Ω and 470 Ω are "almost real".
3. Resistors > 470 Ω are capacitive.

It's an odd statement by Vishay, because when the DUT has some L or some C, the L or C does not change with frequency. 0.1uH at 2Hz is 0.1uH at 500MHz.
I guess below 10MHz the Xl or Xc is very small, perhaps not significant in any measurements?

« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 11:47:05 pm by Randy222 »

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #96 on: January 24, 2024, 11:32:15 pm »
Two links. One kinda a repeat, the other a link about cloned 183X.

Albeit 3yrs old, worth a read:
Deep dive into the firmware with Ghidra --> https://www.creationfactory.co/2021/03/reverse-engineering-and-unlocking.html
And yep, URL is in this very thread, sorry for repeating it.

Then in the comments one user suggests washing PCB with rubbing alcohol will help stabilize measurements. Maybe some PCB fab junk leftover? Not sure if a wash has been validated in any way?
Note: apparently "rubbing alcohol" a liquid that varies in composition depending on country, so be careful.

The clone link --> https://community.element14.com/members-area/personalblogs/b/frank-milburn-s-blog/posts/quick-review-multicomp-pro-handheld-lcr-meter

"Multicomp Pro", rather weak website, little or no info, looks like a JPG as a homepage.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 11:51:40 pm by Randy222 »

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #97 on: January 25, 2024, 12:02:53 am »
Until I can figure out the correct FW for the 183X, and fully understand how it's measuring things, it's a paperweight on the desk.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 07:43:54 pm by Randy222 »

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #98 on: January 25, 2024, 12:57:56 am »
There hasn't been a firmware update since 2021, at least not at Hantek's site.

The clone link --> https://community.element14.com/members-area/personalblogs/b/frank-milburn-s-blog/posts/quick-review-multicomp-pro-handheld-lcr-meter

"Multicomp Pro", rather weak website, little or no info, looks like a JPG as a homepage.

MultiComp Pro is Element14's house brand for cheap test equipment. They're basically rebranded Owon, Hantek, and others.

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #99 on: January 25, 2024, 01:17:07 am »
Some others were posting their 183X FW was a "2023...." version.
I never checked what my 1833 had, I downloaded the one from Hantek site and flashed it.
The meter just does not appear to work correctly.

Offline ru_tash

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #100 on: January 25, 2024, 05:26:49 am »
I can freq sweep for Z out to about 6GHz with good results, up to 8GHz with ok results, using a $150 VNA.

But that's not really what I am asking about.

How about just 10cm of cat5 twisted pair (one pair) with the ends tied. There's some L there, along with wire Rdc.
Slow speed, 300mV:
On 100Hz
Rs not even stable, jumps around from 0.3746 to 0.4204
Ls reads -28uH to 6uH

On 10kHz
Rs 0.2143 to 0.2407
Ls 2.36uH to 2.47uH
X 0.1553

on 10kHz, 1833 tells me Z is 0.3859
sqrt(XL2 + Rs2) != 0.3859

With an LCR meter, it would be good to have all 4 values on screen at same time (LCRZ) so when you press HOLD you can validate the HOLD numbers using math.

1833 is not right, math not adding up right.

I have two interesting links to share, I have to go grab them from another laptop.

try power up device through USB, at least in my case, readings are more stable and less jumping.
as I mentioned here (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantel-lcr-1832c-unlock/msg5234217/#msg5234217) before, if this LCR-meter powered by batteries the measurement AC signal is interrupted every 20seconds, which is not happened when powered by USB.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 05:29:44 am by ru_tash »

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2024, 04:45:22 pm »
In this other 183x thread, there's mention of a "2023......AM"    FW

I also posted there about how easy it is to flash the FW using dfu-util instead of some gui program

FW "20230410AM"    <---  where is this FW ??

see https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-1833c-lcr-meter-firmware-and-win-11-connectivity/
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 07:44:52 pm by Randy222 »

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2024, 06:43:10 pm »

So did the update procedure...

a) yeah, hold TX button while off and connect the PC, then the compare button lamp lights on

b) files are different in size as the old one (LCR2020101001.dfu = 125k, LCR2021061501.dfu = 513k)

d) did the calibration open and closed using 4 pol model, than 3 x SET and than ... open value shown as -------

e) tested the same SMD 1206 10K  resistor, 100Hz about 9.98K ... 100kHz about 9.977K  :-DD

Hp
The 183x is "old"?
Did they at one point have different FW's for 1832 and 1833, and then at some point combine them?

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2024, 07:54:44 pm »
Well, you should find this interesting.
Hantek support emailed the latest FW.
It's a "2023......" version.

How do you display the device info in the screen? Or do I need to use SCPI?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 08:04:00 pm by Randy222 »

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2024, 07:56:46 pm »

Interesting. Glad to hear support is responsive to such requests. Disappointed that they can't be bothered to update their website.

Did someone confirm that the same FW image works for both 1832 and 1833 models?

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #105 on: January 25, 2024, 08:10:09 pm »

Interesting. Glad to hear support is responsive to such requests. Disappointed that they can't be bothered to update their website.

Did someone confirm that the same FW image works for both 1832 and 1833 models?

I did specifically ask support for latest FW for "my 1833C I just got from ali express".
It seems odd that the FW would be hard coded for specific model, because the FW from Hantek site is FW for "183x", so same FW for both models.
Size is still small like their download site version, so I assume some minor changes.

Is this 2023 version specifc to 1833C? Not sure, but the code itself has references to 1832C and 1833C.
I will reply to support asking if that FW is for both 32 and 33.

[roott@localhost 183x]# strings LCR2023041001.dfu |grep "183"
Hantek1832C
Hantek1833C
Hantek1832C
 Hantek1833C
Hantek1833C
 Hantek1832C
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 08:12:37 pm by Randy222 »

Offline hpw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #106 on: January 25, 2024, 08:36:36 pm »
I did specifically ask support for latest FW for "my 1833C I just got from ali express".
It seems odd that the FW would be hard coded for specific model, because the FW from Hantek site is FW for "183x", so same FW for both models.
Size is still small like their download site version, so I assume some minor changes.

Is this 2023 version specifc to 1833C? Not sure, but the code itself has references to 1832C and 1833C.

Hantek1832C
Hantek1833C
Hantek1832C
 Hantek1833C
Hantek1833C
 Hantek1832C

This is fun...

as currently sharing with Hantek support about 2023 FW (as I do not have from the support) & open calibration issues. As cap at 100khz showing about 8pf after startup, after calibration as close as 0.00XpF bingo...

BUT after restart (switch on & off cycle) I gets again the 8pF as last used seams not to work or the values are false stored. I guess for each freq. & resistor to values needs to be saved differently or not?

So do you have the same issue? Even after 2023 FW release?

Hp

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #107 on: January 25, 2024, 08:39:24 pm »

Hantek1832C
Hantek1833C
Hantek1832C
 Hantek1833C
Hantek1833C
 Hantek1832C

This is fun...

as currently sharing with Hantek support about 2023 FW (as I do not have from the support) & open calibration issues. As cap at 100khz showing about 8pf after startup, after calibration as close as 0.00XpF bingo...

BUT after restart (switch on & off cycle) I gets again the 8pF as last used seams not to work or the values are false stored. I guess for each freq. & resistor to values needs to be saved differently or not?

Hp
I did no testing yet.
Did you try to enter debug mode and then save calibration, then exit debug and reboot?

Offline ru_tash

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #108 on: January 26, 2024, 05:42:55 am »

would be interesting about rollback to previous version is supported or not.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 05:04:26 pm by ru_tash »

Offline hpw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #109 on: January 26, 2024, 08:57:43 am »

Hantek1832C
Hantek1833C
Hantek1832C
 Hantek1833C
Hantek1833C
 Hantek1832C

This is fun...

Hp
I did no testing yet.
Did you try to enter debug mode and then save calibration, then exit debug and reboot?

As I posted (and did not remember this as looong ago :D) https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantel-lcr-1832c-unlock/msg3596003/#msg3596003

As worked with debug mode, but IMHO this is shit, as to connect with a PC & App.

Please let us know how the new worked as whether the open calibration saves now or not or only in DEBUG mode.

May add a small cap for getting OFF calibration value and then test it with calibration(without the off cap) and switch off & on again.

Anyway, complained on Hantek support about this as wee need a solution without any PC & App. May a special key combination.

Hp

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #110 on: January 26, 2024, 12:43:25 pm »

Just realized I missed this question.

Press the SET button 2 or 3 times. First it brings up the menu, then hit it again to bring up the device info. Can't remember if it takes a second or third press (don't have it with me).

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #111 on: January 26, 2024, 09:05:18 pm »
With this new FW on my 1833C
Running on just batt power.
1) I probably need to verify by going back to old FW, but now when it boots the values for most items just say "-----------" with no probe wires attached, whereas in old FW the readings were jumping around.
2) The freq signal no longer drops off for a quick/brief time, sine wave does appear to stay on.

Beyond that, did not test anything else.

Offline ru_tash

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #112 on: January 27, 2024, 05:29:02 am »
With this new FW on my 1833C
Running on just batt power.
1) I probably need to verify by going back to old FW, but now when it boots the values for most items just say "-----------" with no probe wires attached, whereas in old FW the readings were jumping around.
2) The freq signal no longer drops off for a quick/brief time, sine wave does appear to stay on.

Beyond that, did not test anything else.

Upgraded my 1832C.
Battery power.
1) did not notice difference with old FW with "------" symbol.
2) no more signal interruptions, readings are stable

Finally the tool became usable  :-+

Via SCPI converted it to 1833C.

PS. couple of months ago in the process of searching the root cause of interruption i shielded digital part of PCB with brass foil, now i am thinking about to remove it or leave it on place.  :-//

Offline hpw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #113 on: January 28, 2024, 08:43:30 am »

@Randy22

>> Please let us know how the new worked as whether the open calibration saves now or not or only in DEBUG mode.

>>May add a small cap for getting OFF calibration value and then test it with calibration(without the off cap) and switch off & on again.

So any results using the 2023 FW how the calibration behaves... are any change notes given from Hantek?

Hp

Offline yg188

« Reply #114 on: February 02, 2024, 03:36:31 pm »
After flashing the device with a new firmware, it became 1832C again, I had to apply the Teixeluis method, everything worked out great.
But the device did not remember the calibration after turning off, I decided to try to enter the device into debug mode, while the red inscription "DEBUG" lights up on the device screen next to the battery, disconnected the device from the computer, the inscription remained, did the calibration open and closed, connected 1833C to computer, wrote the command "fact: save" and exited debug mode. Now, when you turn on the power, the device loads the calibration that I did.
Good luck!
Thank you, your post helped me save the calibration. I am very grateful to Russ3000 and teixeluis for your work.. I want to say that after saving the calibration through debugging mode, you can change the firmware to another (using DfuSeDemo) one and the calibration remains. I want to clarify for those who are interested in this. I entered debugging mode using the program "IOLibSuite" - Keysight Connection Expert 2023 - Keysight Interactive IO.
You need to connect Hantek via USB and turn it on.
I entered the following into the "Command" line:
1. *IDN?
2. calib:hantek_enter_debug_cmd
- Then, without turning off the device, disconnect it from the Computer and make the calibration open and closed. Then connect the device back to the computer via USB.
3. fact:save
4. calib:hantek_exit_debug_cmd
5. *IDN?
After each command, you need to click "Send& Read"
R.S. If the program does not see the Hantek 1832c, then you need to go to the Device Manager and install the "USB Test and Measurement Devices" driver, which is located on the computer after installing the program.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 05:05:08 pm by yg188 »

The following users thanked this post: coromonadalix

Offline ru_tash

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #115 on: February 03, 2024, 06:32:18 am »

R.S. If the program does not see the Hantek 1832c, then you need to go to the Device Manager and install the "USB Test and Measurement Devices" driver, which is located on the computer after installing the program.

the main problem now - how to calibrate 1832C on 50, 75, 100khz frequencies.

Offline wind999

• Contributor
« Reply #116 on: February 04, 2024, 02:59:28 pm »
I think that the calibration for freq 50, 75 and 100 khz are made in 1832c no matter is hacked or not, check the video. - Time after 6:32.

I have a question, does anyone successfully connected the Hantek meter with the Hantek1803C ver 1.0.7 Windows software? I tried everything.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 05:08:16 pm by wind999 »

Offline msuthar

• Contributor
« Reply #117 on: February 04, 2024, 05:17:26 pm »
Here is my post at Hantek BBS few months ago regardig software to work with Win 11
https://www.eediscuss.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=18106&extra=page%3D1

After 2 days exploring now I found that LCR Meter connects to win 11 only by VISA drivers installed on PC.
do not install the supplied virtual com drivers by STM on pc ,the meter does not communicate with this com driver 100% as it is looking for VISA command set.
Drivers from Keysight   https://www.keysight.com/in/en/lib/software-detail/computer-software/io-libraries-suite-downloads-2175637.html
Keysight IO Libraries Suite 2023 Update 1 works with my setup.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 05:26:00 pm by msuthar »

The following users thanked this post: wind999

Offline ru_tash

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #118 on: February 05, 2024, 12:32:27 pm »
I think that the calibration for freq 50, 75 and 100 khz are made in 1832c no matter is hacked or not, check the video. -
not exactly, it passes calibration procedure but not saved corresponded variables in the memory, so on those frequencies measurements are not correct.

Offline wind999

• Contributor
« Reply #119 on: February 08, 2024, 06:55:22 am »
I confirm what you have written on this forum, no calibration for freq 50khz-100khz. I made the measurements and indeed for 50khz a measured resistor the Theta angle moves from 0 to 50, and for 100khz even gone to 80degrees.

So, i read about this intervention in the passive components in the LCR meter, particularly C66-C69 capacitor on the PCB. Here https://www.creationfactory.co/2021/03/reverse-engineering-and-unlocking.html?showComment=1622733342560#c2775361835350856538 and on page 2 and Page 4 on this forum post. On page 4 user MIRW, suggested "it's not just the firmware you need to change, you have passive parts too, you mean replacing C66 and C67 with 10 and 100 pf".

So, has someone replaced these capacitors, and obtained the calibration? And what type are these capacitors 1206, 0806 or 0603SMD so I can order from AliExpress?

Someone has even suggested that removing these capacitors the meter works fine "If these capacitors are in 1833, then their capacity should be 3 times less, parallel to the 100kOhm calibration resistor was a 22pF capacitor, 10kOhm - 245pF. The device works great without these capacitors at all. It may be necessary to adjust at high frequencies by installing capacitors, but the capacitance must be calculated for a 100kHz filter." from the website - https://www.creationfactory.co/2021/03/reverse-engineering-and-unlocking.html?showComment=1622733342560#c2775361835350856538

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #120 on: February 08, 2024, 05:27:40 pm »
I confirm what you have written on this forum, no calibration for freq 50khz-100khz. I made the measurements and indeed for 50khz a measured resistor the Theta angle moves from 0 to 50, and for 100khz even gone to 80degrees.

So, i read about this intervention in the passive components in the LCR meter, particularly C66-C69 capacitor on the PCB. Here https://www.creationfactory.co/2021/03/reverse-engineering-and-unlocking.html?showComment=1622733342560#c2775361835350856538 and on page 2 and Page 4 on this forum post. On page 4 user MIRW, suggested "it's not just the firmware you need to change, you have passive parts too, you mean replacing C66 and C67 with 10 and 100 pf".

So, has someone replaced these capacitors, and obtained the calibration? And what type are these capacitors 1206, 0806 or 0603SMD so I can order from AliExpress?

Someone has even suggested that removing these capacitors the meter works fine "If these capacitors are in 1833, then their capacity should be 3 times less, parallel to the 100kOhm calibration resistor was a 22pF capacitor, 10kOhm - 245pF. The device works great without these capacitors at all. It may be necessary to adjust at high frequencies by installing capacitors, but the capacitance must be calculated for a 100kHz filter." from the website - https://www.creationfactory.co/2021/03/reverse-engineering-and-unlocking.html?showComment=1622733342560#c2775361835350856538
I think it was noted somewhere, the caps in 1833 were not 3x less, I think it was mentioned some were greater than the 1832.

Offline ru_tash

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #121 on: February 09, 2024, 03:13:44 pm »

I tried remove C66, the smallest capacitor (56pF if I remember right) in the row, the removal spoiled measurements on frequencies 10-40KHz and not improved on frequencies 50-100kHz, so I returned it back.
I believe that hardware of 1832-1833 is identical, the issue is in the software(firmware).
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 03:16:06 pm by ru_tash »

Offline wind999

• Contributor
« Reply #122 on: February 10, 2024, 07:18:33 am »
Thank you ru_tash for sharing this information. In that case for now i will not intervene in the hardware of the 1832C, i will try to find something in the firmware. Maybe comparing 1832C and 1833C before and after calibration can tell as something. Anyway, thank you.

Offline wind999

• Contributor
« Reply #123 on: February 10, 2024, 03:57:40 pm »
Does anyone know what command or button on the device will display this message. "STANDARD IMPEDANCE CALIBRATION. OPEN_SHORT CAL MUST BE COMPLETED FIRST. PRESS KEY TO START CAL (300mV)"

I just open the LCR2023041001.dfu with BeyondCompare to compare the old dfu (LCR2021061501.dfu) to see any changes. I noticed that this message is not displayed while standard calibration process is initiated. It can be found in both firmware’s, but the new one LCR2023041001.dfu, contained some changed values. However, the procedure exists in both firmware’s.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 04:00:15 pm by wind999 »

Offline wind999

• Contributor
« Reply #124 on: February 12, 2024, 08:07:08 am »
This is corrected post after several messurment on different resistors.
Here are the measurements for the 22ohms, 120 ohms, 1k, 10k, 22k, 100k and 1M ohms resistor as well as the Theta angel. See attachment. These measurments are done on Hntel 1832c just with the software modification mentioned in this forum, no hardware intervention.

The Theta angle is interesting, the value should remain 0,but i noticed three groups. First group measured between 8-120ohms, maybe more i didn't have other resistors, the 50-100Khz band remain with same Thetha angle, the second group is 1K to 10K, and the third group is 22k and 1M oms resistors. Are these the calibration models that the device is building, probably.

These measured values are very close to the measured value of djQUAN, after changing C66 and C67 capacitors, maybe some of them are better??. He wrote at page 3 "And the result with the 10k resistor test is more sensible but the reading has a slight rolloff. 9.66k from 100Hz to 40k then 9.57k @50khz, 9.52k @ 75kHz, 9.45k @100khz."

Maybe this confirms that the problem is in the firmware, not the hardware? But how so, when it is the same firmware for both devices. It would be nice if someone with the Hantek 1833c measures just for comparison the 10k resistor, and what the device will say.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 11:32:31 am by wind999 »

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #125 on: February 12, 2024, 01:08:37 pm »
It would be nice if someone with the Hantek 1833c measures just for comparison the 10k resistor, and what the device will say.

I posted my 10K test results with my 1833C here. I did not capture the theta angle though.

Offline _Yuri

« Reply #126 on: March 01, 2024, 09:45:03 pm »
I recently bought 1832C on Aliexpress and unlocked it for 1833C as described above.
Tested 10kOhm at different frequencies and got the same problem with theta, at 50kHz and above it increases to 20 degrees. The resistance increased, to 10.5 kOhm only.
When calibrating 50 kHz and above, it switches to fast, It seems it is not calibrated on it.
I downloaded and flashed 1833 dump (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantel-lcr-1832c-unlock/?action=dlattach;attach=1903665), then LCR2023041001 (https://www.eevblog .com/forum/testgear/hantel-lcr-1832c-unlock/?action=dlattach;attach=1991305).
After this, calibration takes much longer and, the resistance and theta remain correct for all frequencies when measuring a 10k ohm resistor.

Didn't touch the capacitors.

Offline wind999

• Contributor
« Reply #127 on: March 01, 2024, 11:08:42 pm »
Dear Yuri, i haven’t tried anything yet, but this makes sense, the calibration data must be in the flash rom of the 1833c. Damm, you are a genius. A true genius.
I will try tomorrow morning.
Here is the correct link for the latest firmware https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantel-lcr-1832c-unlock/?action=dlattach;attach=1991305
Can you just tell me how to flash 1833c dump file? Just use the DfuSe Demo software? Should I set some parameters or just start upgrade?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 11:11:24 pm by wind999 »

Offline hpw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #128 on: March 02, 2024, 09:44:19 am »

As using a "genuine" Ali Express 1833C from the given Hantek distributor :-DD

For my issue as not saving the Cap calibrations, I asked the Hantek support about:

[1] Fix or solution for this issue

[2] Whether the 2023 FW release is "genuine" and save to load

As for [1], a lady form Hantek asked back about the used ambient temperature  :phew:

than absolute silence:

This means for me, Hantek is now on my BLACK LIST for any products of them as support in questions.  :palm: :palm:

Or it simple means, the LCR 183x is NOW or a DEAD unsupported product  :box:

Just be warned about!

Hp

Offline wind999

• Contributor
« Reply #129 on: March 02, 2024, 11:22:25 am »
All done. Thank you Yuri.

Offline ru_tash

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #130 on: March 02, 2024, 11:25:48 am »
All done. Thank you Yuri.
can you share details how did you do it?
and what is the result, complete 1833 or partial?

Offline ru_tash

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #131 on: March 02, 2024, 11:29:30 am »

As for [1], a lady form Hantek asked back about the used ambient temperature  :phew:

than absolute silence:

same in my case, lady Tina Chen suggested me to calibrate device and send video, and no her answer from my reply anymore.

Offline wind999

• Contributor
« Reply #132 on: March 02, 2024, 04:36:05 pm »
I’ll be glad to elaborate on the results. So, i used the same resistors as in my previous data analysis. But now it is obvious that frequencies 50-100kHz ARE calibrated. I’ll more than happy is someone has original Hantek1833c to make the measurements just for comparison. The measurments for the 1M and 100K for High freq (50-100kHz) are made using paralle mode. The rest of the parametres are Slow Speed and 600mV Level. Of course, there is a drift toward inductivity with high frequency 100kHz is used to measure lower resistors value, and capacitance when measuring with high frequency 100kHz and high resistor values. However, the trend it is obvious for single value as you increase the freq, there is no huge jump in measurement as everyone can see in the previous ROM. I think the best measurements can be made around 5K, in which theta angle will be almost 0 through all frequencies.

How this is done?? Very simple, Thanks to Yuri. So, basically I entered DFU mode, and from there I made a copy of the current firmware, just for any case. After that I flash(upgrade) the device with the file.dfu (Hantek1833_DUMP). After successfully finish I started LCR meter in normal mode, and I immediately noticed that the model is 1833C, no SCPI commands are needed in DEBUG mode.
After this, I again started the LCR meter in DFU mode and now I flash with LCR2023041001.dfu.Lateest version of the ROM. After this, leave the DFU mode, restart and you have HANTEK 1833c in your hands.

The starrting point was. Hantek1832c with upgraded ROM - LCR2023041001.dfu.

I like to thank all the people who contributed to achieve this. As Isaac Newton said “If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants”
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 08:42:51 am by wind999 »

Offline ru_tash

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #133 on: March 03, 2024, 07:11:00 am »
you have LCR2021061501 version and 1832 model before flashing 1833dump, right?
but I have already upgraded to LCR2023041001, so I should downgrade before flash 1833dump?
the question now is downgrade possible and safe?

Offline wind999

• Contributor
« Reply #134 on: March 03, 2024, 08:32:27 am »
NO. Before the upgrade, i have installed LCR2023041001, too. That's why i made just in case backup of the ROM.Luckily i don't need any more.
So, you can go directly to 1833cDump and then you can upgrade again with LCR2023041001.
Downgrade is possible because you are changing the entire ROM 512KB with the dump. I think there is no safety switch or R/W block something like that in the software or in the hardware level.

MOST important, DO NOT change the RC C66-C69 Capacitors as Yuri said.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 08:38:20 am by wind999 »

Offline ru_tash

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #135 on: March 04, 2024, 06:13:04 am »
NO. Before the upgrade, i have installed LCR2023041001, too. That's why i made just in case backup of the ROM.Luckily i don't need any more.
So, you can go directly to 1833cDump and then you can upgrade again with LCR2023041001.
Downgrade is possible because you are changing the entire ROM 512KB with the dump. I think there is no safety switch or R/W block something like that in the software or in the hardware level.

MOST important, DO NOT change the RC C66-C69 Capacitors as Yuri said.
through your tables I see that measured data of resistors was changed a little, that is reasonable as you installed another device's  ROMdump which was probably calibrated to that particular unit.
so to speak, trade-off to get full functionality.
do you have precision resistors to check accuracy after all?

Offline wind999

• Contributor
« Reply #136 on: March 04, 2024, 06:55:33 am »
Im waiting them. These days AliExpress is very slow. Probably in April. When i get them i will post the results.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf