Author Topic: Has anyone hacked a Hakko FM-2024 control (C1492)?  (Read 1550 times)

Offline GreggTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Has anyone hacked a Hakko FM-2024 control (C1492)?
« on: July 17, 2015, 05:13:02 am »
I recently purchased a Hakko FM-2024 desoldering handle to go with my FM-203 Station.  I did not purchase the control box (C1492) because I intend to use a small dual diaphragm vacuum pump I already have.  I ohmed out the FM-2024 and found the vacuum actuation switch merely bypasses an 850 ohm resistor that normally is in series with the LED pilot light; in other words, when the unit is operating without the control box and I press the trigger, the LED gets brighter.
My plan is to put a solenoid valve in the suction line with a disposable ceramic air line filter to keep crud out of the solenoid valve.  The electrical connections seem to be standard 8 pin DIN, somebody please correct me if I’m wrong.  I plan on making a breakout cable to measure the voltage change when the switch is activated but am awaiting the DIN connectors.
I’ve searched this and other forums and haven’t found anyone that has hacked the C1492 control (yet). If these control boxes weren’t so expensive even used on fleabay  I’m sure I could convert it to use a vacuum pump instead of compressed air in about 10 minutes.
The only problem I see is to figure out how to convert the voltage or current change to power a solenoid valve.  I’m thinking a zener and triac for a start but may change my plan after more data is obtained.  Too bad they didn’t just use one or both of the non-connected pins, maybe something to do with backwards compatibility or just to make things difficult to hack.
Any thoughts or information would be appreciated.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf