Author Topic: Has anyone tried UNI-T's new 17B Pro meter?  (Read 4557 times)

Offline CornerTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Has anyone tried UNI-T's new 17B Pro meter?
« on: June 26, 2020, 07:01:04 am »
Saw this meter for sale and wonder if anyone has used it and have opinions on it?

From the product page on their Taobao website, here's a few things that they claim:
- The meter can withstand 8kv transient voltage
- 1 meter drop
- rotation switch is guaranteed to still smoothly operate after 30,000 cycles

Also from the PCB image, it has two big-as Bussmann fuses and various input protection components from other good brand meters. The board looks pretty clean too.

The thing I don't see though, is independent safety certification. I'm curious if all the claims are true.

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: Has anyone tried UNI-T's new 17B Pro meter?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 07:17:42 am »
Ugh... close, but no cigar...

Look where the current shunt is, no way that's good enough clearance for 8kV.

Don't get me wrong I like my UT139C, but if I need to measure anything dangerous, I'll reach for my Fluke 87V every time.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 07:25:33 am »
I used to have a 139C as well, but I gave it to my dad. This thing functionality wise looks like a direct upgrade to the 139C.

The price is $90 AUD, I'm so tempted to get it to play around lol. God help me.

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 07:45:48 am »
I think it is fake.

No mention of 17 series on the Uni-trend web site.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2020, 08:16:19 am »

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2020, 08:52:15 am »

I think the cutouts and spaceings are on the other end of the fuse, where the input is.  :popcorn:

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2020, 08:54:50 am »
The thing I don't see though, is independent safety certification. I'm curious if all the claims are true.

If your life depends on it being true then don't trust it. Get something with a genuine certification.  :-//

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2020, 08:56:32 am »
I think it is fake.

Are you sure? https://www.uni-trend.com.cn/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=show&catid=438&id=786

Really? A 15B and a 17B? I wonder which brand they're trying to grab karma from?

« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 09:03:26 am by Fungus »

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2020, 09:58:21 am »

I think the cutouts and spaceings are on the other end of the fuse, where the input is.  :popcorn:

So you only get separation if the current is high enough to blow the fuse.

Great design!   :-+

/sarcasm
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2020, 10:32:12 am »

/sarcasm

LOL. Step back......

What is the voltage over shunt and fuse when fuse is not blown?
8kV? Or 100-300mV ?

8 kV limit applies to voltage mode only.
Current mode has spec of how much kV it can withstand for 1 min when fuse is blown, and that is usually 1 kV (or max voltage in voltage mode)...
Critical spec for current mode is max breaking current and fact whether it will, in fact, extinguish the plasma and break current as opposed to having a breakdown and having arc discharge accident.
Specifications are quite complicated and there are many caveats when reading what is what..

The following users thanked this post: Wytnucls, AndrewBCN

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2020, 10:34:22 am »

/sarcasm

Ohms law says that if the voltage is high enough to jump the gap, the current will be high enough to blow the fuse.

Plus: Voltages usually only jump around when there's a high impedance in their way, which a fuse isn't.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 10:45:21 am by Fungus »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2020, 10:40:23 am »
I think it is fake.

Are you sure? https://www.uni-trend.com.cn/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=show&catid=438&id=786

Really? A 15B and a 17B? I wonder which brand they're trying to grab karma from?

Reading about them on some Chinese forums, looks like they made these to directly go against Fluke 15B and 17B. Hahah! These two meters have just been released in China. It's probably going to take a little while for them to come overseas.

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2020, 10:53:50 am »

/sarcasm

Ohms law says that if the voltage is high enough to jump the gap, the current will be high enough to blow the fuse.

Plus: Voltages usually only jump around when there's a high impedance in their way, which a fuse isn't.

That would imply that a piezo ignitor could supply enough current to blow a 10A fuse.

I suspect that would not be the case.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2020, 10:59:23 am »

/sarcasm

That would imply that a piezo ignitor could supply enough current to blow a 10A fuse.

I suspect that would not be the case.

No, that would imply that piezo igniter connected to current input will achieve 300mV peak voltage....Because it doesn't have energy to create enough current...

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2020, 11:18:40 am »
So as long as the leads are inserted in the correct sockets, you're fine.

What am I missing here?
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2020, 11:28:42 am »
Some Uni-T meters have proper UL certification, but a lot (most?) don't. Seems pot luck.
But if they are competing against the Fluke then UL certification would be an absolute requirement, otherwise they are dead out of the blocks.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2020, 12:40:11 pm »
Reading about them on some Chinese forums, looks like they made these to directly go against Fluke 15B and 17B.

They're not the only ones, Zoyi also does a 15B+ and 17B+

eg. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33007708093.html

Some sellers put "17B+" in all their items just to trap people, eg. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32844347527.html

« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 12:46:22 pm by Fungus »

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 12:50:33 pm by Fungus »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2020, 01:28:03 pm »
Reading about them on some Chinese forums, looks like they made these to directly go against Fluke 15B and 17B.

They're not the only ones, Zoyi also does a 15B+ and 17B+

eg. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33007708093.html

Some sellers put "17B+" in all their items just to trap people, eg. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32844347527.html

These meters are aiming at tricking people though, they are crappy cheapies that wanna use these labels to trick people. Those new Uni-T meters seem to be of a lot higher quality.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2020, 02:09:22 pm »
These meters are aiming at tricking people though, they are crappy cheapies that wanna use these labels to trick people. Those new Uni-T meters seem to be of a lot higher quality.

You'd hope so for $95.

"rotation switch is guaranteed to still smoothly operate after 30,000 cycles"

LOL! Somebody's been reading EEVBLOG.

(A real Fluke will laugh at that though)

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2020, 02:44:19 pm »
The meter seems quite decently built and the air gap around the shunt looks alright - at a typical 3kV/mm for dry air, it doesn't really looks there is a problem. Obviously I don't have one and can't be absolutely certain.

If your life depends on it being true then don't trust it. Get something with a genuine certification.  :-//

The lack of independent verification (which UT139 has) is surely a turnoff, but it doesn't tell the whole story. Reputable brands such as Yokogawa, Sanwa and Hioki do in-house certification but they have a good reputation and track record of pushing out decent gear (a bit less on Yokogawa, but still). Uni-T has goofed up so many times in the past that they have a very long road ahead to boast any quality claims for in-house testing. There's also that pesky loophole the cert agency will only test whatever you ask them to, and that could easily be circumvented (among other potential loopholes)

"rotation switch is guaranteed to still smoothly operate after 30,000 cycles"

LOL! Somebody's been reading EEVBLOG.

That or joeqsmith's videos.  :-+
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2020, 12:07:25 am »

You'd hope so for $95.

Well at least it's similarly priced as the 15B and 17B. I've actually ordered it just to check it out. If I end up wasting 90 bucks, so be it :)

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2020, 12:19:42 am »

You'd hope so for $95.

Well at least it's similarly priced as the 15B and 17B. I've actually ordered it just to check it out. If I end up wasting 90 bucks, so be it :)
I don't know about the 15B or 17B, but the quality of the 101 for me was very flaky. The first (2017 date code) had issues with the display. The second (2016 date code) did not, but both had oxidized pads on the PCB vias and pads, including the ones leading to the LCD.

This may be due to improper storage, but it was coming from two different sellers from very different locations.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2020, 12:23:58 am »

You'd hope so for $95.

I don't know about the 15B or 17B, but the quality of the 101 for me was very flaky. The first (2017 date code) had issues with the display. The second (2016 date code) did not, but both had oxidized pads on the PCB vias and pads, including the ones leading to the LCD.

This may be due to improper storage, but it was coming from two different sellers from very different locations.

My 101 was acquired a couple of years ago. It's been sitting in my potable toolbox and gotten pushed around in a sea of pliers, screwdrivers and other crap. Other than scratched screen, it's given me no trouble. I haven't opened up the little thing though.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf