Author Topic: Have I been sent a used or refurbished Saelig oscilloscope?  (Read 6044 times)

Offline VladamirTopic starter

• Contributor
Have I been sent a used or refurbished Saelig oscilloscope?
« on: August 23, 2020, 03:04:57 am »
Ok so i ordered an oscillocope (Siglent SDS2104X Plus) from Saelig.com and requested a small educational discount which they did give me, however despite the fact that the product page stated that it was "back ordered," my unit was shipped out the very next day. When I received it, the box looks like it has been previously opened and then retaped. Attached are pictures... what do you guys think? Did they send me a used/refurbished unit?

For reference here is a video unboxing that someone else made () which clearly shows only siglent tape on the box and not the Saelig tape as you can see in my pictures below...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 03:07:21 am by Vladamir »

Offline egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Have I been sent a used or refurbished Saelig oscilloscope?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 03:31:11 am »
Hello,

I think the outer box says nothing. I got a R&S scope in a Siglent box from Batronix.

Best regards
egonotto

Offline QuickyQuark

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 04:42:27 am »
The original Siglent tape looks opened and then resealed with a Saelig tape.
It should not come that way. I would ask for a factory sealed replacement.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 08:32:25 am »
It should not come that way.
And why not ?

There is absolutely no reason why a reseller can't open a box for whatever reason to check or add additional goods/parts/accessories/options/install firmware or just to place their company sticker on the goods before dispatch.
Further, a reseller might care enough about their reputation to check a unit has latest firmware and check probes and basic functionality.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, Qw3rtzuiop, Microcheap, mnementh, Simon_RL, tonyalbus

Offline snoopy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Analog Precision
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 09:01:12 am »
It should not come that way. I would ask for a factory sealed replacement.

A prudent reseller would check what they are sending to someone rather than just being a box shifter ! ie check serial numbers. check items are all there, check that it powers up and is working and has not been damaged. It also protects the seller from a dodgy buyer who wants to return something that was not sent to them ;)

« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 09:05:34 am by snoopy »

Offline jc101

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 09:54:52 am »
Did they have to open the box to put in the right type of power lead?

The following users thanked this post: Psi

Offline mfro

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2020, 10:02:23 am »
Did you want to buy a box or the device?

If the oscilloscope itself appears to be brand new and working as advertised, why bother?
Beethoven wrote his first symphony in C.

The following users thanked this post: edavid, Fungus, Qw3rtzuiop, Microcheap

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2020, 11:40:37 am »
Further, a reseller might care enough about their reputation to check a unit has latest firmware and check probes and basic functionality.

Also to activate any options that may not come enabled from the factory.

If the oscilloscope itself appears to be brand new and working as advertised, why bother?

This. Let's apply common sense first then go back and reclaim if anything is missing or appears "used".

Do Siglents have a usage counter in them that shows the number of hours of use. Look at things like that instead of tape.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2020, 02:18:07 pm »
I got a Siglent SDS2102X Plus from Saelig, the box was same as shown by OP with Saelig tape on Siglent box. Later I got a SDG2042X than was the same, then just got a SSA3021X Plus. All boxed the same and with Saelig tape on a Siglent box. All items arrived in good condition and new, with Saelig brochures inside the box.

I want a quality distributer/supplier like Saelig to look inside a factory box to make sure things are in order before shipping, and not just blindingly shipping a box from the OEM that has traveled around the globe and subjected to who knows what and sitting around some warehouse for some time!!

How many times have you received a "Made in China" OEM box from a distributer where the item was damaged, or parts missing? It's happened to us many times, recently it took 3 different shipments to get a light fixture that wasn't damaged, or a power supply that was DOA, the replacement had a dented case or a soldering station missing a holder, just to name a few recent incidents. Any of this wouldn't have happened had the distributer been diligent and inspected the product before shipping instead of just reshipping an OEM box.

So hats off to Saelig for taking the time to make sure your new Siglent arrives in proper order :-+ :-+

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: mathsquid

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2020, 02:20:57 pm »
If you guys were to go out and buy an iPhone or an xbox or any other piece of electronics you would expect that the reseller, such as Walmart would NOT open the package to upgrade your phones firmware to check to see if the charging cable is there or whatever. They are a reseller and as such it is not their job to open up packages for any reason. Their job as a reseller is to resell the item. The manufacturer is responsible for ensuring that everything is in the box as it should be. No one here would ever buy an open iPhone and as such I do not expect anyone to buy an open oscilloscope that has been advertised as new. New means it has been sealed and untouched by the reseller. Period!

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2020, 02:21:58 pm »
Opened box says nothing. For example may place an invoice or warranty card inside it.

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2020, 02:26:37 pm »
I ordered several test equipment from saelig and they always open the box to add some brochure or free electronics magazine and re-close the box with saelig tape.  I think your scope is brand new.

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2020, 02:28:09 pm »
If you guys were to go out and buy an iPhone or an xbox or any other piece of electronics you would expect that the reseller, such as Walmart would NOT open the package to upgrade your phones firmware to check to see if the charging cable is there or whatever. They are a reseller and as such it is not their job to open up packages for any reason. Their job as a reseller is to resell the item. The manufacturer is responsible for ensuring that everything is in the box as it should be. No one here would ever buy an open iPhone and as such I do not expect anyone to buy an open oscilloscope that has been advertised as new. New means it has been sealed and untouched by the reseller. Period!
If you don't like it, you can return it.  You don't have many options in the US to buy Siglent equipment with the EEVBLOG discount.

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2020, 03:07:45 pm »

IPhones, x boxes, etc are consumer items & are pretty much "complete in themselves", needing  very little in the way of peripherals to work, unlike oscilloscopes with probes, etc.
Importers/ resellers often open equipment boxes, replace inappropriate power cords, check probes for condition & function, etc.
They also commonly check the device itself is functional.

This probably comes from the fact that, historically, the buyers of test equipment were large users of Electronic equipment, who wanted a functional unit, & didn't give a hang about getting a "factory sealed" box.

A non-operational unit is a loss of money to such organisations, as they are unable to use it in their business until it works.

It is/was not uncommon, in such places, when encountering a problem with a new piece of equipment, to "open it up" to check if the problem can be easily fixed "in house".

With customers who are worth "big bucks" to a manufacturer/reseller/importer, the likelihood of that invalidating the warranty is miniscule, both because the techs & EEs know their stuff, & won't just blunder around inside, & the definite possibility that your competitor is quite likely to be more obligin

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2020, 03:57:24 pm »
New means it has been sealed and untouched by the reseller. Period!
A major industrial supplier here from whom i bought a rigol scope once, had a liberty to open equipment boxes to slap their company logo stickers on the equipment. Though they were just reselling.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2020, 04:41:06 pm »

You are wrong, scope is new, get over it ....It's simple as that.

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2020, 05:43:35 pm »
GET OUT OF HERE! ARE YOU KIDDING! I am 100% right. I am going with my gut feeling and will return it and buy from a more reputable retail if they do not want to make it right.

The following users thanked this post: QuickyQuark

Offline Roger Need

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2020, 05:53:16 pm »
When I received it, the box looks like it has been previously opened and then retaped. Attached are pictures... what do you guys think? Did they send me a used/refurbished unit?

Did you check the power on count?  Usually under Utility - System Status or something similar   If only turned on once or twice it may have just been verified to be working OK by the vendor prior to shipment

Roger

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2020, 06:08:20 pm »
Thanks, ill check that out

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2020, 06:11:16 pm »
GET OUT OF HERE! ARE YOU KIDDING! I am 100% right. I am going with my gut feeling and will return it and buy from a more reputable retail if they do not want to make it right.
Manchild throws tantrums when people disagree with his nonsense.

The following users thanked this post: janoc, egonotto, newbrain, 2N3055

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2020, 06:12:49 pm »
You are pathetic, I asked for peoples opinions, not your dimwitted comments

The following users thanked this post: QuickyQuark

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2020, 06:19:24 pm »
I asked for peoples opinions
Only opinions which agree with your  :horse:

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Brumby, tooki, newbrain, 2N3055

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2020, 06:21:01 pm »
Logical opinons that arent thinly veiled attacks from idiots like you who have nothing better to do

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2020, 06:21:36 pm »
Ok so i ordered an oscillocope (Siglent SDS2104X Plus) from Saelig.com and requested a small educational discount which they did give me, however despite the fact that the product page stated that it was "back ordered," my unit was shipped out the very next day. When I received it, the box looks like it has been previously opened and then retaped. Attached are pictures... what do you guys think? Did they send me a used/refurbished unit?

They open the boxes to toss in their flyer, i buy kit from them all the time and they are easy to deal with.  For hard to find items i usually have an order in with them while im also second sourcing from overseas

The following users thanked this post: Fungus, 2N3055

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2020, 06:31:01 pm »

IPhones, x boxes, etc are consumer items & are pretty much "complete in themselves", needing  very little in the way of peripherals to work, unlike oscilloscopes with probes, etc.
Importers/ resellers often open equipment boxes, replace inappropriate power cords, check probes for condition & function, etc.
They also commonly check the device itself is functional.

This probably comes from the fact that, historically, the buyers of test equipment were large users of Electronic equipment, who wanted a functional unit, & didn't give a hang about getting a "factory sealed" box.

A non-operational unit is a loss of money to such organisations, as they are unable to use it in their business until it works.

It is/was not uncommon, in such places, when encountering a problem with a new piece of equipment, to "open it up" to check if the problem can be easily fixed "in house".

With customers who are worth "big bucks" to a manufacturer/reseller/importer, the likelihood of that invalidating the warranty is miniscule, both because the techs & EEs know their stuff, & won't just blunder around inside, & the definite possibility that your competitor is quite likely to be more obligin

+1.. this isnt the consumer market, this level of service is commonly expected.. i'd rather a post import inspection be done than waste my time dealing with a pos doa product wasting my time

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055, TK

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf