Author Topic: Heads Up : Cheap Multimeter : Lidl UK (08/02/18)  (Read 41534 times)

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
Re: Heads Up : Cheap Multimeter : Lidl UK (08/02/18)
« Reply #225 on: April 24, 2018, 06:36:20 pm »
If you want a cheap meter, why not go for this at £3.10?
http://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d03046/multimeter-digital/dp/IN07220
I've got one. Good enough for the price.

These ones are listetd multiple times under different brand names on the RAPEX database for safety reasons: https://ec.europa.eu/consumers/consumers_safety/safety_products/rapex/alerts/?event=viewProduct&reference=A12/1277/13
This meter has been discussed before and dismissed, it is not suitable really for anything other than very occasional use in an emergency situation on very low energy circuits, ie measuring resistance.

It also, unlike the meter from Lidl has not passed any safety tests, why? Because I guess the fact it appears on Rapex database that has some series design flaws and has already been proven to be dangerous and for all we know, may have been submitted for testing like the Lidl meter and failed the most basic test of all, that of insulation.
I disagree with your point here. In the countless discussions around here about the DT830 (or M830B) and its variants, several people (including me) completely agree that you shouldn't use it on high energy circuits (even mains outlets, although with some dissonant voices). However, it is a good and affordable solution for low power electronics and neither only to be used in an emergency nor for resistance measurements.

As I mentioned in the other thread, the major detracting factor for the countless variants and manufacturers of these meters is both the wide variance in production quality and the bogus claims of safety. If you have a reliable manufacturer with honest specs, the meter is ok. 
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
Re: Heads Up : Cheap Multimeter : Lidl UK (08/02/18)
« Reply #226 on: April 24, 2018, 06:47:32 pm »
Why the hell doesn't someone do something about removing this type of dangerous product of the market?

Look at the rapex alert carefully!

It may not be for all dmms with model number DT830. It is for a spcific brand, batch number and the packaging is marked 6163

While some DT830 on the market may also be dangerous, not all are the same.
Some may even be non leathal  ;)

The following users thanked this post: 001

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf