Poll

How many cycles will the KeySight U1281A's detent spring last?

0-2000
7 (17.9%)
2k-4k
5 (12.8%)
4k-8k
14 (35.9%)
8k-16k
7 (17.9%)
>16k (most rubust meter ever made)
6 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Handheld meter robustness testing  (Read 1149585 times)

Offline malagas_on_fire

• Frequent Contributor
  • Kernel Panic
    • Malagas Lair
Re: Handheld meter electrical robustness testing.
« Reply #2850 on: September 16, 2018, 04:07:26 pm »
Chances are that it will survives 4kv that pocket brymen/Amprobe,
If one can make knowledge flow than it will go from negative to positve , for real

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2851 on: September 16, 2018, 04:11:39 pm »
Brand new Brymen / AMPROBE arrived.

This is the one that is reported to fail without apparent cause after a certain amount of time?

Offline joeqsmithTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2852 on: September 16, 2018, 04:39:58 pm »
Brand new Brymen / AMPROBE arrived.

This is the one that is reported to fail without apparent cause after a certain amount of time?

True reported four of them failed the same which makes me wonder.   Maybe they will chime in with some additional information.

Offline 001

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2853 on: September 16, 2018, 06:21:32 pm »
Hi!
IMHO it is a sort of populism or show

No reason to destroy gear  :palm:

See hysteric tread here https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/dangerous-multimeter-mastech-m890g-m890g2-(aka-dc-electronics-dc03)/

NO PROBLEM with meter but topicstarter is angry!!!  :-DD

I also use some DMM for about 18 years. Yes, it is not masterpiece - you got what you pay for. But it WORKS anyway.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 06:23:15 pm by 001 »

Offline malagas_on_fire

• Frequent Contributor
  • Kernel Panic
    • Malagas Lair
« Reply #2854 on: September 16, 2018, 06:47:17 pm »
Yeah that's the kind of the multimeters that are very disposable :P You pay what you get. Sometimes you get good stuff or not :P

Some pocket meters actually have more protection input than the one on the link .

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-1083-pocket-mutimeter-shootout/?action=dlattach;attach=451189

If one can make knowledge flow than it will go from negative to positve , for real

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2855 on: September 16, 2018, 07:37:05 pm »
Hi!
IMHO it is a sort of populism or show

Hello.  All of the testing has created a small channel.  I wouldn't say it was popular. If you are suggesting that the tests are somehow skewed based on popularity of a product, I am interested in understand why you would feel this way.  They basically all see the same transients.

No reason to destroy gear  :palm:
I have talked about the reasons why I run these tests.  It does not mean that you personally will find any value in the data.  That's not one of my goals. 

See hysteric tread here https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/dangerous-multimeter-mastech-m890g-m890g2-(aka-dc-electronics-dc03)/

NO PROBLEM with meter but topicstarter is angry!!!  :-DD

I also use some DMM for about 18 years. Yes, it is not masterpiece - you got what you pay for. But it WORKS anyway.
I have not had a low end meter survive nearly this long.   I have a Mastech that has various problems.  I'm on my third one now in the last 10 years or so.

They seem upset about the rating on the meter.  I personally am not too concerned about the safety ratings. I seldom work do anything that would require it.  At home for my hobby, I dare say it's never.   Which again is why you see me testing at such low energy levels.  I am more interested in a meter's ability to survive some basic low energy transients that how safe it would be with an arc flash for example.   

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2856 on: October 14, 2018, 11:20:28 pm »
Looks like True stopped posting.   I started to look at the Amprobe meter today and would have liked to have had them check a few things.  I hope to run it this week some time.  If anyone has any special tests they would like to have ran, let me know in the next day or so and I will see if I can include it. 

Offline malagas_on_fire

• Frequent Contributor
  • Kernel Panic
    • Malagas Lair
« Reply #2857 on: October 15, 2018, 09:45:51 pm »
Humm interesting pocket meter, EMC Meets EN61326 , Hit with the ESD gun :P

Test if it is susceptible to RF ... and also check size comparisson with previous pocket meters,

Offline malagas_on_fire

• Frequent Contributor
  • Kernel Panic
    • Malagas Lair
« Reply #2858 on: October 16, 2018, 09:49:30 am »
I believe that in that videos where Dave selected the best pocket meter of price range didn't include the amprobe pm55 and voltlog it had an aneng, mastech and the uni-t 120c. In that case can you put the aneng like meter or fluke 101 ?

Sorry to be persistent but it looks to me a little bigger in height than the ones that have being tested.

Well i have my offered pocket meter ut-120c and it's has less usability than i expected :( The probes don't stick inside wago's connectors so no 230V experiences :P Yes they can be placed on the test pins but metal gets exposed..

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2859 on: October 16, 2018, 10:52:48 am »
I believe that in that videos where Dave selected the best pocket meter of price range didn't include the amprobe pm55 and voltlog it had an aneng, mastech and the uni-t 120c. In that case can you put the aneng like meter or fluke 101 ? 

Sorry to be persistent but it looks to me a little bigger in height than the ones that have being tested.

I am not sure what you are asking.  Are you wanting to know if the Fluke 101 will fit inside the case that was supplied with the PM55A? 

The dimensions are normally in the manuals which are on-line.  The PM55A is 113 x 53 x 10.2 mm.   The Fluke 101 is 130 mm x 65 mm x 27mm.   The internet is powerful.   :-DD

Offline malagas_on_fire

• Frequent Contributor
  • Kernel Panic
    • Malagas Lair
« Reply #2860 on: October 16, 2018, 03:54:47 pm »
Yes there are manuals and specs but for example if you look at the manual of the unit 204a the picture of the meter does appear like the 203 more because of the curved lcd.

A visual comparisson always helps more. I was suggesting putting side by side the amprobe and fluke 101. 

My print is out of inks to do a real size comparrison  :-DD

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #2861 on: October 16, 2018, 04:13:55 pm »
Looks like True stopped posting.
001 as well.  ;D

Joe, one interesting meter that you may consider testing in the future is the nice PM300 from Sanwa; it is rated for CATIV 300V / CAT III 600V and is quite well built. It is protected by a GDT and a Varistor on a string of resistors.

(shameless plug)
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2862 on: October 16, 2018, 05:10:16 pm »
A visual comparisson always helps more. I was suggesting putting side by side the amprobe and fluke 101. 

No problem.  I will show it next to the 101 and a few others.   

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2863 on: October 16, 2018, 05:13:19 pm »
001 as well.  ;D

Joe, one interesting meter that you may consider testing in the future is the nice PM300 from Sanwa; it is rated for CATIV 300V / CAT III 600V and is quite well built. It is protected by a GDT and a Varistor on a string of resistors.

Think the SANWA would survive to higher levels than this little Brymen?  Did Dave do anything to it electrically in his reviews?   

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #2864 on: October 16, 2018, 07:15:25 pm »
001 as well.  ;D

Think the SANWA would survive to higher levels than this little Brymen?  Did Dave do anything to it electrically in his reviews?   
Just a hunch but I suspect so, given that Sanwa is a very reputable japanese brand that would not lie about CAT ratings.

Dave did not put it through its paces, though.

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline malagas_on_fire

• Frequent Contributor
  • Kernel Panic
    • Malagas Lair
« Reply #2865 on: October 16, 2018, 09:05:33 pm »
And if you think the harbor freight meter is bad , then check this:

https://youtu.be/R693vS09hoo

Lucky one on the mains :P

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #2866 on: October 16, 2018, 10:35:34 pm »
This is the same model that Harbor Freight sells. They and many other no-name brands around the globe.

I did a comparison with a few models manufactured over the years (in portuguese) - you can tell the similarities.

https://youtu.be/eskV_OJtH48

(Joe, sorry for the plugs, but it is quite rare that I can link a video to someone that understands what I am actually talking on my videos :D )

Offline malagas_on_fire

• Frequent Contributor
  • Kernel Panic
    • Malagas Lair
« Reply #2867 on: October 16, 2018, 11:41:17 pm »
Thanks for sharing the video. At 12:32 the rotary switch was a bit loose :P

jesus mine that blow on the mains was from mastech, in 2000 .  input voltage was blown away.. PTC, traces :P

And they tend to be minimal has years go... The other 3 dollar meter didn't have a fuse :P and had some resistors that may no be good to handle the input voltage.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #2868 on: October 17, 2018, 12:06:12 am »
Yep, they get more and more simplified with each revision. It's the art of cost shaving.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2869 on: October 17, 2018, 02:06:01 am »
001 as well.  ;D

Just a hunch but I suspect so, given that Sanwa is a very reputable japanese brand that would not lie about CAT ratings.

Dave did not put it through its paces, though.

I've had meters that were certified to the safety standards do very poorly in my tests.  I've never looked at any Sanwa products but this is going to be the 6th Brymen I've looked at.   We have yet to see one fail on the new generator.   Now what's going on with all these meter's True has seen get damaged, hard to say.   Maybe they live in a very humid environment.  Maybe next to a large body of salt water.   Perhaps they are a Fluke fanboy and just don't like seeing these Brymen's hold up so well.  Hard to say.

The PM300 does not appear to be available off Amazon. Maybe it's not popular.  Dave does seem to stock them but doesn't seem to offer them on Amazon.   Maybe once the 121GW is stable  I will add one to the order. 

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2870 on: October 17, 2018, 06:25:24 pm »
I found no evidence the Sanwa PM300 has 61010 certification. I thought the manual says "designed to" or some other ballyhoo.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #2871 on: October 17, 2018, 06:34:15 pm »
I found no evidence the Sanwa PM300 has 61010 certification. I thought the manual says "designed to" or some other ballyhoo.
https://overseas.sanwa-meter.co.jp/items/detail.php?id=405#
https://www.sanwa-meter.co.jp/prg_data/goods/img/PH61491811587.pdf

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2872 on: October 17, 2018, 06:59:09 pm »
Yup, you're getting fooled. You have to be hard-ass with manufacturers and safety claims.
"This instrument is a pocket-type digital multimeter with rms value response, designed for measurements within the range specifed as CAT.IV 300 V / CAT.III 600 V in IEC61010."
No file or certificate number, no agency approval logo. The approvals report Dave has is only for 61000 EMC. So I believe the muiltimeter is not certified.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #2873 on: October 17, 2018, 07:24:26 pm »
Near the bottom of the PDF datasheet it says EC61010-1, IEC61010-2-030, IEC61010-2-33, IEC61010-31

There is no certification approval from any agency if the meter is self certified by the manufacturer. IME Japanese manufacturers seem to refrain from using third parties for that. Joe's Hioki, for example, only has a self-produced DoC that does not guarantee any third party certification. It does not mean it was not tested and certified, but you need to trust if the manufacturer has done it properly.

Thus the only claim that can be done is the manufacturer did not perform third party certification.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2874 on: October 17, 2018, 08:09:57 pm »
Only a government-accredited agency can evaluate and certify ("approve") to those safety standards, at least in North America.
No self-declaration is permitted there.

It's a long snakey path to follow safety legislation in any country, who is the "authority having jurisdiction", who makes it law that products have approvals. Once I had to convince an asshole CEO that safety approvals were required for some equipment and it was brutal in the USA. Several states do not have the National Electrical Code in effect so asshole CEO said you can sell anything (electrical) there and no need for engineering to worry  :palm: I almost lost my job refusing to sign/stamp that shit.

For multimeters it's certainly OSHA (at work) or corporate policy they have credible safety certifications.

The liability for a product failing a safety claim is what keeps most companies from selling gear with fake approvals. I see a few Japanese companies with no formal safety approvals, only claims to meet x standard.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf