Products > Test Equipment

Handheld meter robustness testing

<< < (890/893) > >>

Fungus:

--- Quote from: joeqsmith on May 28, 2022, 02:24:23 am ---Looks like the KS is starting to pull away.

--- End quote ---

Sock puppets.  :P

joeqsmith:

--- Quote from: mqsaharan on May 28, 2022, 04:04:38 am ---... Patiently waiting for your review of KS (if KS will be the final pick).
--- End quote ---

Assuming I can get my hands on one, I will be running the KS.  Maybe the higher end model.  Depends on what's available.

--- Quote from: mqsaharan on May 28, 2022, 04:04:38 am ---Keeping in mind the slow response of GTDs and no MOVs in the circuit, my guess is it will not perform well with the transient testing, something like U1231A you tested. I may be wrong and the circuit may have better protection built into it. Only your practical tests will tell.
--- End quote ---

I had looked at the 1282A's front end 7 years ago.

Suggesting that GDTs are not as good as MOV for this application is based on ignorance.  If KS has their shit together (designer's did their job and were unhindered by marketing and sales), there is no reason for this meter to fail.  While the low end one I looked at had glass filled plastic that cracked in a couple thousand switch cycles and was damaged a levels the cheap Amprobe AM510 and Fluke 101 would survive,  I would hope that KS's high end meter will do well.   After all, they shouldn't be cutting costs at this price point.  Still, who puts ridged plastic into a spring design and doesn't test it.  No excuse for this. 

Of course I have looked at other meters that used a combination of GDTs, PTCs and high speed clamps to protect the meter without a MOV.   Both the Hioki DT4252 and Gossen Metrawatt Ultra M248B.  While the Hioki meter did eventually break down, none of the electronics were damaged.   The GMW was never damaged. 

--- Quote from: mqsaharan on May 28, 2022, 04:04:38 am ---Would you kindly compare its functionality with 121GW (that is common among both) as both these meters are using the same DMM front end chip HY3131.
And thank you Joe for your efforts. Not many people including myself have tools and knowledge to check their equipment's limitations.

--- End quote ---

The easiest way to compare functionality is read both manuals.   Obviously the 121GW has some trick circuits in it, but the product is not very robust and the firmware is not polished and that crazy switch and story that goes with it isn't something you can make up.   Both meters are now fairly old and have been reviewed in detail.  Let me know if there is something specific you would like to see that has not been covered.

When I damaged the prototype 121GW, I asked Dave about using the damaged KS meter for parts.   I was surprised after his video on the KS that he would agree to use that same IC in a meter he was going to endorse.    If the KS is damaged, I have a 121GW that I may be able to use as a parts unit to revive it. 

joeqsmith:

--- Quote from: Fungus on May 28, 2022, 01:08:57 pm ---
--- Quote from: joeqsmith on May 28, 2022, 02:24:23 am ---Looks like the KS is starting to pull away.

--- End quote ---

Sock puppets.  :P

--- End quote ---
Much like any other voting.  Very few will take the time to vote.  Many will bitch about how the vote turned out.   An infinite amount of resources is then spent trying to change the the outcome.   

mqsaharan:
Hi Joe,
You are right, I made a stupid mistake suggesting that GDTs are not as good as MOVs. I am sorry. Of course you've looked at the meters without MOVs that performed well, I just forgot while writing that message. Thank you for setting me straight and for the video suggestions.
Regarding the request for meter comparison, again I forgot you usually compare a bunch of meters while checking their functionality. I don't have anything particular in mind to test.
Seems like I have forgotten quite a few things. I need to refresh my memory and knowledge.
Qasim.

joeqsmith:

--- Quote from: mqsaharan on May 29, 2022, 10:02:15 am ---Hi Joe,
You are right, I made a stupid mistake suggesting that GDTs are not as good as MOVs. I am sorry. Of course you've looked at the meters without MOVs that performed well, I just forgot while writing that message. Thank you for setting me straight and for the video suggestions.
Regarding the request for meter comparison, again I forgot you usually compare a bunch of meters while checking their functionality. I don't have anything particular in mind to test.
Seems like I have forgotten quite a few things. I need to refresh my memory and knowledge.
Qasim.

--- End quote ---

What you wrote wasn't stupid and there was no need to be sorry.  I just wanted to make you aware of the work that had been done.   

I think the word "ignorance" has taken on a new meaning beyond how it's currently defined.   People take offense to it.    From Merriam-Webster:  lack of knowledge, education, or awareness.  I personally am ignorant about pretty much any subject you can come up with, including electronics and how to test meters.  Sadly, while I have dedicated much of my life to improving that, the older I get the more ignorant I become, or at least the more I am aware of my ignorance!   

Where "stupid" is defined as
a : slow of mind : obtuse
b : given to unintelligent decisions or acts : acting in an unintelligent or careless manner
c : lacking intelligence or reason : brutish

Example:
Amazon has the U1282A in stock but I am not so stupid as to pay their asking price!   :-DD

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version