Poll

How many cycles will the KeySight U1281A's detent spring last?

0-2000
7 (17.9%)
2k-4k
5 (12.8%)
4k-8k
14 (35.9%)
8k-16k
7 (17.9%)
>16k (most rubust meter ever made)
6 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Handheld meter robustness testing  (Read 1149743 times)

Offline Russ

• Regular Contributor
Re: Handheld meter electrical robustness testing.
« Reply #2275 on: January 09, 2018, 01:19:43 am »
It's time to re-evaluate 121GW :).

I’ve already ordered extra probes and 121GW capable fuses.

The following users thanked this post: exe

Offline gnavigator1007

• Supporter
« Reply #2276 on: January 09, 2018, 02:03:18 am »
That box sure seems big for just two meters.  Perhaps there was something else inside....

The anticipation is killing me. Hope this isn't a vicious tease

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #2277 on: January 09, 2018, 04:34:08 am »
That box sure seems big for just two meters.  Perhaps there was something else inside....

Another item to administer stress to the victims?
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Online joeqsmithTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2278 on: January 09, 2018, 05:57:48 pm »
It's time to re-evaluate 121GW :).

:-DD  Not yet anyway.   I don't think we would learn anything new really and my guess is if the problems I saw in the prototype were not corrected, you will be hearing about them very soon.  So just be patient as the masses work their magic. 

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2279 on: January 09, 2018, 06:02:54 pm »
Ooh, more goodies!
:-+

The anticipation is killing me. Hope this isn't a vicious tease
I'm not well known for not following through.  So hang in there for a few weeks or so and you may just see another Brymen on the chopping blocks..     

Don't I have enough instruments of death and destruction already?   :-DD   

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2280 on: January 09, 2018, 06:12:12 pm »
Don't I have enough instruments of death and destruction already?   :-DD

It's not an artificial snow machine then...?  :(

Offline BroMarduk

• Supporter
« Reply #2281 on: January 09, 2018, 06:35:59 pm »
I'm not well known for not following through.  So hang in there for a few weeks or so and you may just see another Brymen on the chopping blocks..     

I had to re-read that positive via double-negative a few times for that to make sense...

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #2282 on: January 10, 2018, 12:47:44 am »
Yes, Joe, all ahead FULL.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2283 on: January 10, 2018, 01:02:36 am »
Yes, Joe, all ahead FULL.

Those of you that have followed along realize that when I bought the BM869s, it went through the same transient testing as the other meters.  It had survived everything I could throw at it with the new generator.   At the time I was rebuilding the original generator for each test and so I ran the 869s at the same levels I had tested the Fluke 101 at and it was damaged.  In most cases where I did not have a way to run the incremental tests, I have have gone back and repeated the tests using the new generator to find where the meters fail.   I never did this with the BM869s.   So that new 869s may have done fine with the 50,000 cycle test and survived a dip in the creek, it seems fitting that it should be used to repeat the high voltage transient tests.   My plan is to include this test when I run this last meter.   
space bar habit..
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 11:50:33 am by joeqsmith »

The following users thanked this post: gnavigator1007

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #2284 on: January 10, 2018, 04:20:27 am »
So much to do with this meter.  Brymen did not send them because they knew I would treat them with kid gloves.  I think it needs the FULL treatment!
Joe correct me if I'm wrong, but something says Bryman's motive is from concern that UEI is soon likely to take a bite out of their sales. I mean what are the odds that UEI may be gearing up to push a lot of 121GW or similar types into the market place this year? And China never sleeps either, so Bryman may be using you (it's fair) to bolster sales on existing stock, while doing R&D on something fresh.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2285 on: January 10, 2018, 01:12:01 pm »
So much to do with this meter.  Brymen did not send them because they knew I would treat them with kid gloves.  I think it needs the FULL treatment!
Joe correct me if I'm wrong, but something says Bryman's motive is from concern that UEI is soon likely to take a bite out of their sales. I mean what are the odds that UEI may be gearing up to push a lot of 121GW or similar types into the market place this year? And China never sleeps either, so Bryman may be using you (it's fair) to bolster sales on existing stock, while doing R&D on something fresh.
That's an interesting take on it.  With as many delays as we have seen for the UEI meter, there is no way I could have projected when it was being released and just happen to be talking with Brymen about their automotive meter and then have them arrive in the same time frame.   Perhaps lightages was in on the conspiracy, after all us used to sell Brymen products and he is the one who pointed out they offered an automotive meter.     :-DD :-DD   Sorry,  but I am not buying it or the idea of a flat earth.   I doubt the UEI meter is targeted towards automotive and can't see it competing with the one Brymen provided.   To be clear, Brymen did not reach out to me and open the dialog nor did they ask me to run the BM869 or even suggest it.     

I really would have no idea what UEI's future plans are but assume using the EEVBLOG brand will generate a fair amount of sales for them.  What else would be the motive? 

I would agree that Brymen is most definitely using me as you so put it and I am certainly allowing it to happen.  I will even go so far as to say I requested it.  Showing these test may indeed have some measurable impact on sales but making money has never been my motive for running them.  My interest has always been with how robust the meters were.     

I've obviously looked at the UEI prototype along with a few Brymen products.  Looking at how robust the Brymen products continue to be, I don't think they have any concerns in this area.  There is nothing preventing other companies from contacting me.  If UEI wants to see how their products stand up, I am not apposed to running them.   The snow bury,  fishing, gasoline spilling,  50000 switch life cycle testing awaits.  If we are lucky, maybe we even get  to play with the half cycle simulator.

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #2286 on: January 12, 2018, 08:53:34 am »
I doubt the 121GW will be UEI's choice for an automotive meter. UEI already makes an automotive meter that has better features for the Automotive job. They have a whole line of meter just for automotive. UEI already beats Brymen hands down in specific automotive testing and diagnostics tools and lab scopes.
The automotive one seem to have more features for recording individual cylinders, RPM’s, higher temp readings to 1,370C, Dwell, fuel injector testing timing pulse width, and of corse duty cycle.
http://www.ueiautomotive.com/index.html

They have been around for while, mostly behind the sceence with HVAC, automotive, and electrical but mostly with clamp meters.
http://www.ueitest.com/products

I recall Dave even mentioning that UEI already had a Bluetooth stack and protocol designed that they offered to use with the 121GW, so this tells me they already had a Bluetooth meter. I don’t know why Dave decided to make his own apps when UEI already had all this to start with? UEI already has an andriod and applemios app. The app looks basic but can do a 100ms refresh rate, record, graph, export to CSV, PNG, or JPG, continuous readings.
http://www.ueitest.com/products/dl429

Maybe this is why Dave went with UEI this time because he wanted Bluetooth as a feature?

Brymen seems to do more handheld DMM’s, some clamps but none for a specific fast or job, eletricla tester, and some insulation test meter to 1kV. But I don’t see them doing any HVAC, gas detection sensors, combustion sensors, specific HVAC, or some other specific tool that UEI make. They have 2 automotive meters, but not any automotive lab scopes that also read ODBII codes,gas and leak detectors/gas anylizers, CO detectors. UEI seems to have more automotive selfie tools, not just an automotive meter.

I see these companies being on two different scales currently. Brymen has a lot of different specific clamps for electricians, general purpose DMM’s, only w automotive meter a no specific automotive testing tools or scopes, 2 insulation tester meter, no HVAC specific stuff. Brymen seems more on the  electrician side of things with a few basic automotive meters, and UEI seems more into specific test equipment for different jobs and just happens to cover electric with the clamps as well.

http://www.brymen.com/Products.html
Please be sure to check out my YouTube channel and subscribe if you like the videos. https://www.youtube.com/c/GadgetReviewVideos

By people subscribing and giving thumbs up I know what I am doing is still wanted and adding value, then will continue to release new videos. Thank you for your support.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2287 on: January 12, 2018, 01:26:19 pm »
Hey Scott. I don't have HVAC on my bikes.  :-DD :-DD  A few vents in the helmet and leathers is about it. 

I may try one of UEIs automotive meters to see how it stacks up with the others I have looked at.   So far that Brymen has been the least sensitive to the emissions.   Actually, my BM869s was really stable. 

Agree, I don't see the two companies really being in the same markets.  With so much excitement around the UEI meter, I can see how anything detracting from it may be seen as a conspiracy. 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 02:08:09 pm by joeqsmith »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2288 on: January 12, 2018, 02:17:07 pm »
I checked out the meters they offer.  The ADM5201 would have been a good one to try.  Both it and the ADM4201 are listed as discontinued at TE.   Their ADM3201 is getting a bit too much like that ESUN meter I looked at. 

The ADL7103 is also listed as discontinued at TE.  Starting to wonder if they make anything.  Maybe the hope is the EEVBLOG branding will save them?  :-DD   They may just not be popular in the USA, like Brymen. 

Offline lem_ix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2289 on: January 12, 2018, 02:26:35 pm »
Who knows under which name they're sold under ... Fine/Finest? Klein?

Online rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #2290 on: January 12, 2018, 03:07:53 pm »
I checked out the meters they offer.  The ADM5201 would have been a good one to try.  Both it and the ADM4201 are listed as discontinued at TE.   Their ADM3201 is getting a bit too much like that ESUN meter I looked at. 

The ADL7103 is also listed as discontinued at TE. Starting to wonder if they make anything.  Maybe the hope is the EEVBLOG branding will save them?  :-DD   They may just not be popular in the USA, like Brymen.
Just be warned about the "discontinued" status at TEquipment: not long ago I saw one product still in production that was marked as "discontinued" on their website. I would always check with the manufacturer first.

Regarding the Brymen/UEI conspiracy theory, let me throw another one: perhaps they are "using you" to increase their perceived value and be bought by a larger TE brand?  :-DD
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2291 on: January 13, 2018, 12:25:16 am »
Just be warned about the "discontinued" status at TEquipment: not long ago I saw one product still in production that was marked as "discontinued" on their website. I would always check with the manufacturer first.

Regarding the Brymen/UEI conspiracy theory, let me throw another one: perhaps they are "using you" to increase their perceived value and be bought by a larger TE brand?  :-DD

If I can't find a distributor, as far as I am concerned they may as well be discontinued.  If TE dropped them, I would have to ask myself why.  It could have been anything from lack of sales to poor quality or maybe it really is discontinued.   :-//

LOL!  I am a guppy in the YT ocean.  I doubt anything I show has much of an impact on the T&M world.   But consider that I may be using Brymen to increase my channel to 100GV/m  (gig views/month) so I can sell it.   :-DD     

All seriousness, I can't really explain Brymen's interest in my testing but they do appear to appreciate the feedback I've given them. 

Online rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #2292 on: January 13, 2018, 01:33:25 am »

If I can't find a distributor, as far as I am concerned they may as well be discontinued.  If TE dropped them, I would have to ask myself why.  It could have been anything from lack of sales to poor quality or maybe it really is discontinued.   :-//
That is the thing; at the time the product was being sold by other official distributors and TE decided to drop that particular product line or brand. I can't recall if it was the former or the latter, but I kinda recall something about Siglent. Sorry, I don't recall anything further than that.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 02:21:57 am by rsjsouza »
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2293 on: January 13, 2018, 02:51:25 am »

That is the thing; at the time the product was being sold by other official distributors and TE decided to drop that particular product line or brand. I can't recall if it was the former or the latter, but I kinda recall something about Siglent. Sorry, I don't recall anything further than that.
One should not discount the other possibility.....that a sales distributorship can be revoked and given to another company. This does add confusion to the marketplace for a while especially if the 'no longer' distributor continues to have a web listing for a brand and range of products and lists them as 'discontinued' which is just BS.
TE in particular up until recently listed the bulk of the Siglent product range and each one had 'discontinued' tacked to the listing but to their credit they've updated that some with no products listed and just discontinued if you hit the Siglent products link.
https://www.tequipment.net/siglent/

Siglent selling rights were given to Saelig.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2294 on: January 13, 2018, 04:20:06 am »
I doubt the 121GW will be UEI's choice for an automotive meter. UEI already makes an automotive meter that has better features for the Automotive job. They have a whole line of meter just for automotive. UEI already beats Brymen hands down in specific automotive testing and diagnostics tools and lab scopes.

The 121GW is now effectively the only electronics meter UEI make.
The DM393 seems to be the only other one they make, but I think that may also be close to being discontinued.

I recall Dave even mentioning that UEI already had a Bluetooth stack and protocol designed that they offered to use with the 121GW, so this tells me they already had a Bluetooth meter.

I don't recall ever saying that.

I don’t know why Dave decided to make his own apps when UEI already had all this to start with? UEI already has an andriod and applemios app. The app looks basic but can do a 100ms refresh rate, record, graph, export to CSV, PNG, or JPG, continuous readings.
http://www.ueitest.com/products/dl429

We wrote our own app because the UEi one they wrote us was almost a joke. It was very buggy and the UI was straight out of the 1990's.
We thought it would be better to write our own and make it completely open source, and it would be easier than trying to get them to fix the one they had. We already had enough back and forth communications grief with the meter design.
Unfortunately what David2 thought would be fairly easy task of creating an true multi-platform app (from the same code) turned into a multi month nightmare.

Maybe this is why Dave went with UEI this time because he wanted Bluetooth as a feature?

No, nothing to do with it.
I went with UEi because they said they could do a fully custom meter and were keen.
I recall Brymen not being very receptive of the idea. Maybe it would be different now that they know who I am and how many meter I sell for them.

The following users thanked this post: Kean

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2295 on: January 13, 2018, 04:24:47 am »
Joe correct me if I'm wrong, but something says Bryman's motive is from concern that UEI is soon likely to take a bite out of their sales. I mean what are the odds that UEI may be gearing up to push a lot of 121GW or similar types into the market place this year?

The odds are precisely zero.
UEi are not allowed to use the same 121GW case to compete in the same multimeter market as the 121GW, it's in the contract.
They are however allowed (and wanted to) use re-use the 121GW case for another product(s). What that is I don't know.

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2296 on: January 13, 2018, 04:27:53 am »
Who knows under which name they're sold under ... Fine/Finest? Klein?

Finest is now owned by UEi / Kane Test.
The former CEO of Finest is actually the one who was in charge of the 121GW design.

Klein is a related party to the two, they contract UEi to design some of their stuff.
That's actually how the whole 121GW came about - I did that Klein Tools meter test in the mud and the designer contacted me.
I mention about maybe doing a custom meter and he introduced me to UEi / Kane Test.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 04:33:44 am by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: nidlaX, Cliff Matthews, lem_ix

Offline gnavigator1007

• Supporter
« Reply #2297 on: January 13, 2018, 04:51:06 am »
What about the feature set? Will they be able to incorporate these same functions in another meter lacking the EEVBlog name?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2298 on: January 13, 2018, 10:34:03 am »
What about the feature set? Will they be able to incorporate these same functions in another meter lacking the EEVBlog name?

Contractually, probably nothing really stopping them doing that.
But that would be what is known in the industry as a dick move  :D

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2299 on: January 13, 2018, 07:58:15 pm »
After surviving 50,000 function switch rotations and going for a swim in ice water,  the BM869s gets set for a round of transient tests.   Will it repeat and survive the new generator like it's predecessor or will it fail like an old 87V?   Stay tuned while we finally find out just how much can Brymen's top of the line meter handle.

Because of the time required to run all these tests, my plan will be to release this on a separate video. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf