Poll

How many cycles will the KeySight U1281A's detent spring last?

0-2000
7 (17.9%)
2k-4k
5 (12.8%)
4k-8k
14 (35.9%)
8k-16k
7 (17.9%)
>16k (most rubust meter ever made)
6 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Handheld meter robustness testing  (Read 1148532 times)

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: Handheld meter electrical robustness testing.
« Reply #2475 on: March 13, 2018, 02:46:43 pm »
Re: The shield

Could the shield tabs pop out under vibration? Maybe give it a few whacks.

Seems like a long shot, but...  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 09:44:45 pm by Fungus »

Offline joeqsmithTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2476 on: March 13, 2018, 04:59:33 pm »
Did you cut up that fuse? If so, what did you find?

It was difficult to find much at all except sand. When I cut it in half in the middle and tipped the sand out the inside of the tube was too dark to make anything out. Trying to shine a light and a magnifier at the same time revealed very little. I think the fuse wire was much thinner than a human hair. Further attempts at disassembly destroyed whatever evidence remained. My guess is that the wire melted with quite a large gap in the middle.

The one I had used for these tests was a high current one.  The filament was fairly thick and I blew it with a low voltage supply.  There was a fair bit of evidence left after cutting it open.   Too bad we could not learn anything more from yours but thanks for taking the time to look. 

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2477 on: March 15, 2018, 12:48:28 pm »
I plan to run the transient tests in the next few days.   If it goes to plan, I may just combine all the remaining tests into one video..     I'm not going to do a 10 day live feed of the meter sitting on a high voltage supply and cycling a switch.  :-DD   Combined, I can't see that being more than 15 minutes of footage total.  With the 15 minutes it will take to run the 87V at 1.5 and maybe 2, swap out a few diodes, should make for a good conclusion.   

My guess, meter fails at 2K, MOVs don't do anything with 1.2K applied for extended period, after a true 50K cycle test, the 87V will not need some sort of cleaning at 10K intervals and will be as clean as the 17B+ and about the same wear.   I may actually check this.... 

Then again, it is the latest rev of PCB.  Maybe Danaher let them spend some money and they changed something to offset the sloppy shield assembly and poor quality boot...  Go Fluke! 
https://youtu.be/v3bBgsqFZT8

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #2478 on: March 15, 2018, 06:52:23 pm »
joeqsmith, I can't wait for the 87V tests.

BTW, nice doodles of the MOVs and Uni-T. :)
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2479 on: March 17, 2018, 02:01:12 am »
A few of you wanted to see another Fluke 87V ran.  So here is the latest Rev 13 hardware right from Fluke.  Enjoy.   

https://youtu.be/po7UEXLy0vU

Offline don.r

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2480 on: March 17, 2018, 04:51:00 am »
Shocking how much better this rev is! Absolutely shocking! (see what I did there?)

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2481 on: March 17, 2018, 09:03:48 am »
The Fluke fan boys will be happy again.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2482 on: March 17, 2018, 03:12:30 pm »
If I decided to attempt to further harden the meter, looking at how they have this front end, it seems like the easiest thing would be to find some replacement parts.  So far, no luck in hunting down a drop-in.  If you look at the sketch I made of the front end, those resistors connect to the custom IC.  Guessing the diodes provided better leakage and breakdown specs.  Maybe you could wrap around that diode circuit with a couple of TVSs but it would not be clean.   Then again, it's not like it failed at low levels like the older 87Vs, so I am less inclined to modify it.   

The Fluke fan boys will be happy again.
That 87V was always a bit odd with how poorly it did compared with all the other Flukes I had looked at.   For the 10 people who took the time to vote for seeing it, good on you.  I wouldn't have considered running it again.   

Still more testing to go but I don't see any reason the 87V will have problems.  I may have just jinxed it.  Watch the PCB get ground to dust after the MOVs burst into flames.  :-DD

It would be interesting to know more about why Fluke uses what appears to nickle finish rather than gold of nothing at all.   I wonder if that plating the key to why the 17B+ did so well.  After 50K full cycles, that meter hardly looked like it had been cycled.   Maybe new tooling played a part as well. 

Offline jordanp123

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2483 on: March 17, 2018, 07:14:34 pm »
Any details on what fluke changed with this PCB revision ? If thats already been posted, I apologize, I searched but didn't find it.

The following users thanked this post: Fungus

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2484 on: March 17, 2018, 08:06:49 pm »
gold is soft and gets worn through pretty fast on things like pcb contacts for edge connectors.
maybe they used something harder.

Offline zaoka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2485 on: March 18, 2018, 03:03:12 pm »
Will installing better substitutes of BAV diodes improve protection circuit, if so what diode should be used?

Is it time for Fluke 28II ??  :-//

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2486 on: March 22, 2018, 12:10:20 am »
Finishing up rsjsouza's MOV testing.  Hope to post it along with the life cycle results this weekend.  I have included a link to Motorola's paper "TVS/Zener Theory and Design Considerations" which may be of interest. 

There may still be a part 7.  It may be worth seeing if we can determine why the previous 87V failed at such a low level compared with this latest revision.  Then again, maybe it is not important.  As Dave has said, they only fail on my tests, not in the field.  I will leave it up to viewer's to decide if you want to see it. 

http://www.icbase.com/File/News/download/ON_Reference_3.PDF
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 11:09:35 pm by joeqsmith »

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, Cliff Matthews, gnavigator1007

Offline kcbrown

• Frequent Contributor
Handheld meter electrical robustness testing.
« Reply #2487 on: March 22, 2018, 05:39:38 am »
I'd love to see why the first 87V failed.  Should make for an interesting and likely instructional video.

That why it failed might not be important, er, isn't important.   :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 05:41:23 am by kcbrown »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #2488 on: March 22, 2018, 03:25:23 pm »
Finishing up rsjsouza's MOV testing.  Hope to post it along with the life cycle results this weekend.  I have included a link to Motorola's paper "TVS/Zener Theory and Design Considerations" which may be of interest. 

There may still be a part 7.  It may be worth seeing if we can determine why the previous 87V failed at such a low level compared with this latest revision.  Then again, maybe it is not important.  As Dave has said, they only fail on my tests, not in the field.  I will leave it up to views to decide if you want to see it. 

http://www.icbase.com/File/News/download/ON_Reference_3.PDF
Thanks for the testing, Joe. I hope the MOV test reveals yet another interesting aspect of endurance - something I have experienced in other low cost meters: MOV or thermistors either cracked or severely burnt.

Regarding the usefulness of investigating an older production 87V: if there is evidence of a design change that triggered the premature failure, that will at least help educate the used market to look for specific traits of older production runs. 

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2489 on: March 22, 2018, 11:51:52 pm »
Thanks for the testing, Joe. I hope the MOV test reveals yet another interesting aspect of endurance - something I have experienced in other low cost meters: MOV or thermistors either cracked or severely burnt.

Regarding the usefulness of investigating an older production 87V: if there is evidence of a design change that triggered the premature failure, that will at least help educate the used market to look for specific traits of older production runs. 

I've certainly cracked my share of small body PTCs testing these meters but the physically larger parts have held up.  It's really just the low end meters that I have seen use the smaller ones.  If you download that paper, do a search for MOV.  There is a section on them that will give some credence to what I plan to show in the next installment.   

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #2490 on: March 23, 2018, 12:23:06 am »
Joe, sorry this is out of line for your thread, but Pace Worldwide marketing is currently answering questions on that new low-cost station (the ADS200). They're close to you on the east coast.. maybe ask for a demo on the channel - just a thought..
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/manufacture/newest-pace-ads200-production-station -(a-jbc-killer-at-$239)/

Back to regular programming folks! Sorry!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 07:55:18 am by Simon »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2491 on: March 24, 2018, 02:09:08 pm »
The video for the remaining tests of the Fluke 87V are now on-line.   Enjoy. 

« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 06:14:10 pm by joeqsmith »

The following users thanked this post: saturation, tautech, Fungus, ferdieCX

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2492 on: March 25, 2018, 12:25:45 am »
The HIOKI handheld meter I previously tested uses a similar design.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2493 on: March 25, 2018, 12:35:43 am »

Torture it on the rack!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2494 on: March 25, 2018, 02:55:52 am »
Torture it on the rack!
Eventually, I may do that.   For now, am still focusing on that 87V.   I ordered up some new parts today to try some destructive testing with rather than using the Flukes.   

BTW, I forgot to mention than I had taken apart the 87V after the drop tests and the shield remained in place.  I think what is happening is the two clips that fit through the slots in the PCB need to be bent inward enough to get the shield to lock into place.  If you take one apart, they do seem a bit loose.  Looking at the old one that has a SN 10, it's the same way.   It was however installed flat when I first pulled it apart and again when I took it apart today. 

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2495 on: March 28, 2018, 02:03:16 am »
I made a video where I applied 2KV to the current inputs of the 87V with it's fuses removed.  This is part of the 61010 standards.    There was smoke coming out out the meter. 

Attached is is picture showing the resistor used on the Rev 10 compared with the Rev 13 PCB.  If it looks like one resistor is much smaller than the other, that's because it is.  The layout was changed to support the larger resistors.   Now, this meter was certified up the ass by about every agency possible.   

The meter is rated for 1KV so again the standard calls for 2 times the highest rated voltage.   They are 1Meg resistors so that's 4 Watts for 1 minute that they need to handle.  The standard states, "During and after the test, no damage to the equipment shall occur."    If you have a the pre-2012 standards,  I would be very interested in knowing if and when this requirement changed.   

The larger resistors were warm enough to smoke.  What do you think these small ones will handle 4 Watts for a minute?     

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2496 on: March 28, 2018, 06:17:10 am »
The larger resistors were warm enough to smoke.  What do you think these small ones will handle 4 Watts for a minute?   

It's not all about size.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2497 on: March 28, 2018, 09:57:36 am »
the old resistor is a carbon-core part that i have not seen for decades,
the new one is a flameproof type with a ceramic core to disipate heat and a metal film coating.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2498 on: March 28, 2018, 10:03:39 am »
Are you sure it was the resistors smoking Joe and not the Mexican fuses about having to contribute to building the border wall ?  >:D
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #2499 on: March 28, 2018, 02:29:19 pm »
The video for the remaining tests of the Fluke 87V are now on-line.   Enjoy. 
Thanks Joe for the HVDC tests on the MOVs - although uneventful, they show how a good design can withstand some overvoltage (it was not the case of my old deceased meter).

The selector grinding really looks ugly and surprising to such an expensive Fluke. In my opinion the 87V still does not deserve any endurance prize when compared to some of its cheaper brethren.

the old resistor is a carbon-core part that i have not seen for decades,
the new one is a flameproof type with a ceramic core to disipate heat and a metal film coating.
Although the brown resistor looks old, it is a carbon molded resistor that is well into production. Tyco's CBT series is quite similar in physical appearance.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf