Poll

How many cycles will the KeySight U1281A's detent spring last?

0-2000
7 (17.9%)
2k-4k
5 (12.8%)
4k-8k
14 (35.9%)
8k-16k
7 (17.9%)
>16k (most rubust meter ever made)
6 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Handheld meter robustness testing  (Read 1149417 times)

Offline joeqsmithTopic starter

• Super Contributor
3 and 4KV testing...

This video is VERY long and there is not a lot of action (none).  You have been warned.

Online Vgkid

• Super Contributor
That was entertaining.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

• Super Contributor
That was entertaining.

I tried to make up for what could very well be the most boring YouTube video ever created.   :-DD   

I knew if I didn't post that test data, someone would ask about why I skipped over it.   For those who have not watched that long 45 minutes of nothingness, skip to the last 2 minutes and you will know all you need to or just watch the last video.

Next up, 5KV.      5ky asked I return any of the working meters when I was done.  I am trying my best to save on shipping costs!

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
5ky asked I return any of the working meters when I was done.  I am trying my best to save on shipping costs!
:-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Super Contributor
The new generator is running full tilt tonight.  All the stops are off.   This test will be much harder for the meters to survive than the transient used during the finals between the Fluke 101 and the AMPROBE AM-510.    IMO, any meter that passes this is pretty robust.   

If anything does survive, that meter/s will then be ran on the original generator.  Only one meter has survived on that test fixture and that's the Fluke 101.  Even Fluke's own 87V could not survive that test.   

First meter has been tested and actually PASSED!!!!  We have at least one meter that has a chance to take on the 13KV waveform!!!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 02:19:49 am by joeqsmith »

Online Vgkid

• Super Contributor
Looking forward to a possible video.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

• Super Contributor
I expect to make three more videos.   One for 5KV, one for 6KV and then the finals using the original transient generator.   

With the Fluke 101 need to share the spotlight?  Will it just be the two Flukes or does the 101 really only pass because of it's lack of a current input?    Many have asked why buy a Fluke if others are just as good.   We know Flukes own 87V could not survive the final test.   What will people think if the Radio Shack meter survives what the 87V can't?   And what about the Brymen??   Am I really going to put my own $230 Brymen meter on this generator just to see if it passes a test where the 87V failed?   

:popcorn:

Get your popcorn and soda's because we are nearing the end....
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 02:20:05 am by joeqsmith »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
I expect to make three more videos.   One for 5KV, one for 6KV and then the finals using the original transient generator.   
:clap:  >:D

What will people think if the Radio Shack meter survives what the 87V can't?
:wtf:  :o

And what about the Brymen??   Am I really going to put my own $230 Brymen meter on this generator just to see if it passes a test where the 87V failed?   
The cost of the Brymen and the Fluke 87V is miniscule compared to the time and effort you have put into this project thus far and because of that I'd be shocked if you didn't give them a taste of the evil lady. >:D

Do it Joe, do it.  :box:

Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline marber

• Regular Contributor
With the Fluke 101 need to share the spotlight?  Will it just be the two Flukes or does the 101 really only pass because of it's lack of a current input?    Many have asked why buy a Fluke if others are just as good.   We know Flukes own 87V could not survive the final test.   What will people think if the Radio Shack meter survives what the 87V can't?   And what about the Brymen??   Am I really going to put my own $230 Brymen meter on this generator just to see if it passes a test where the 87V failed?   

Where is that 87V now anyway? :)

• Super Contributor
Where is that 87V now anyway? :)

Where it gets much better care than it ever did in my hands. 

Do it Joe, do it.  :box:

:-DD   You're not the only one wanting to see this. 

Not to spoil the outcome, I have not run the high voltage test yet but I have ran the AMPROBE AM-530 all the way up to 5.9KV (max output).  Keep in mind that the AM-510 was in the finals with the Fluke 101.  Both companies owned by Danaher so I was not too surprised.   But as I continued to test the 530 at higher voltage levels, it never gave any signs of an arc.    Also, once it was damaged, it never really got any worse like all of the other meters.   It still read DC and AC voltages just fine.   So rather than try and finish it off, I thought it may be more helpful to some of you if I actually attempted to repair it.

I did a quick check and when in ohms, I could see the output was working but the input was loaded.   There is only one part in this node, Q9.   This is an H1A.   I pulled it and sure enough, it was damaged.   Installed a new one and all of the modes appeared to work.   The meter was never all that accurate, so I went ahead and aligned it.   From what I could tell:

VR1 sets the DC offset
VR9 sets the AC
VR6 sets the temperature
VR7 sets the capacitance

So if you happen to over voltage your AMPROBE AM-530 by accident and the ohms, diode and capacitance modes no longer work, check Q9. 

And for the few of you actually following this thread, here is the 5KV testing.  It's long but there is some damage for everyone to enjoy.....

• Super Contributor
The first of the meters are subjected to the new generator's maximum level.   This included the AMPROBE AM-530.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzxH6HHsuLQ&feature=youtu.be

• Super Contributor
The computer is compressing the last video and I will upload it tonight.   Then I am all caught up and am free to focus on the final video.   

Sorry for the length of some of these.  I sped things up further in this last video when the actual transients are being applied.   

Offline 5ky

• Regular Contributor
Glad to see fluke and amprobe living up to their names!  I hope Extech gets a new OEM in the near future because their EX series meters are a complete fail.

:popcorn:

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
For the record, the MM series by Extech are the Brymens.

Offline 5ky

• Regular Contributor
For the record, the MM series by Extech are the Brymens.

Indeed.  Aren't there a good 4+ companies that relabel those?

• Super Contributor
Finally, the last video is uploaded and I am all caught up!!  Watch as the Brymen BM869s, RadioShack 2200087 and the Fluke 107 are tested at 6KV, 100us FWHH, 2 ohm source.  Much worse than the AMPROBE AM-510 saw in the finals!     

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MjyoJx2Rnw&feature=youtu.be

Next up, we may not be able to answer the question, "If Brymen BM869s is cheaper and as good, why people would still buy Fluke?"   People buy what they buy.   But we can get an idea if the Brymen BM869s can handle high level transients than Fluke's popular 87V.   

Found my original Fluke in a magazine.    $299 or roughly $1445 in today's dollars.

Offline 5ky

• Regular Contributor
I might have to pick up one of those Brymens.  They look legit.  The price is what's crazy.  You could almost buy three of those for the price of a Fluke 87V.  Don't get me wrong, I love my 87V, but when you start looking at the list of things the Brymen can accomplish for 1/3 the cost, it's really impressive.

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
Which Brymen are you referring to?

Offline 5ky

• Regular Contributor
Which Brymen are you referring to?

Whatever the flagship one is. 869s, correct?

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
The Fluke 87 V (lifetime warranty) costs 405$ in the US. The Greenlee DM-860A (Brymen 869S) costs 417$. Where do you get a third of the price from?
The Brymen 869S (12 month warranty only) costs 227$ in Europe, plus import duties in the US if any, and postage ($10.00)
A multimeter has an import duty rate of 1.7% into the US (About 5$ in this case).

http://www.alliedelec.com/greenlee-dm-860a/70160647/
http://www.tequipment.net/FlukeDigital87VMultimeter.html
http://www.tme.eu/en/details/bm869/portable-digital-multimeters/brymen/bm869s/
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 05:39:29 pm by Wytnucls »

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
I agree a third of the price is not comparing best prices. Usually it is more like 2/3 the price.

FYI a Greenlee DM-860A can be had for much less than $417.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GREENLEE-DM-860A-DMM-500K-COUNTS-DM-860A-/131599331392?hash=item1ea3ee7040

The BM869S is closer to $250 with shipping included. The only difference is the lifetime warranty with the Greenlee.

Some people think the lifetime warranty with Fluke is worth the money. I am not here to argue about personal preferences as it is pointless. I am only stating facts.

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
eBay is hardly a reliable outlet. 3 meters available.  ::)
Return policy 14 days. Greenlee warranty may not apply.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
I don't like the Brymen red color. People might think I own a Uni-T or something.   >:(

Greenlee Green is a bit better, but a lot more expensive than Brymen Red. :-//

« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 05:56:11 pm by Fungus »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf