Author Topic: Heathkit IO-4105 5mhz Oscilloscope  (Read 2290 times)

Offline queennikki1972Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • We all start out as newbie's..be kind
Heathkit IO-4105 5mhz Oscilloscope
« on: September 10, 2019, 01:22:17 am »
So I ended up with a old Heathkit IO-4105 5mhz Oscilloscope. HUGE THING BY THE WAY...I plan on purchasing a brand new digital scope around October, but I though this one would be good to learn with..

I found the manuals but before I can test anything I need to buy a probe. What probes are best for this old machine? Any BNC 1x probe?

Nikki
Siglent SDS 1202X-E - Heathkit IO-4105 - Dr. Meter 0-30v 5a power supply - 862d+ combo unit - Weller WLC100 - Kunkin KL283 DC load. Not much gear yet.

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
Re: Heathkit IO-4105 5mhz Oscilloscope
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 01:43:21 am »
  I don't know. But even if it's the wrong probe you should be able to learn a lot with it, starting with how the probe distorts the waveform.

It's possible to learn more from your failures than from your successes.

The following users thanked this post: queennikki1972

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 02:04:16 am »
Even though it's only 5MHz, I'd still get a switchable 10X/1X probe.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 10:24:30 am »
It has a standard input impedance of 1MEG so basically any x1/x10 probe will work. Many of the older Heathkits had an input impedance of 3.3MEG which required a special probe.

One thing you will notice which can be an annoyance is that the scope is in an unshielded plastic case and the CRT has partial shielding on the gun assembly only. Depending upon how you position the scope the trace may be tilted due to the earth's magnetic field. And there is no trace rotation to compensate for it. 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 12:33:54 pm »
There is a very slight tilt but nothing major. I was wondering about that myself.

It has a standard input impedance of 1MEG so basically any x1/x10 probe will work. Many of the older Heathkits had an input impedance of 3.3MEG which required a special probe.

One thing you will notice which can be an annoyance is that the scope is in an unshielded plastic case and the CRT has partial shielding on the gun assembly only. Depending upon how you position the scope the trace may be tilted due to the earth's magnetic field. And there is no trace rotation to compensate for it.
Siglent SDS 1202X-E - Heathkit IO-4105 - Dr. Meter 0-30v 5a power supply - 862d+ combo unit - Weller WLC100 - Kunkin KL283 DC load. Not much gear yet.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 03:39:25 pm »
That looks very similar to the Heath IO-4541 scope I built as a kid.  Their answer to trace rotation was CRT rotation - the gist of the instructions in the manual for trace alignment was basically, "loosen the hardware that holds the CRT and carefully rotate it until the trace is parallel to the graticule".  If it's not too bad I'd ignore it; if it bothers you you'll need to open the case, then loosen the CRT and align it.  They are big old monsters size-wise, aren't they?  :o

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 05:08:54 pm »
That looks very similar to the Heath IO-4541 scope I built as a kid.  Their answer to trace rotation was CRT rotation - the gist of the instructions in the manual for trace alignment was basically, "loosen the hardware that holds the CRT and carefully rotate it until the trace is parallel to the graticule".  If it's not too bad I'd ignore it; if it bothers you you'll need to open the case, then loosen the CRT and align it.  They are big old monsters size-wise, aren't they?  :o

-Pat

Yep, that's fine....until you move the scope to another location and the trace is titled again. I built one too....a long, long time ago.  :-+

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 06:59:00 pm »

-Pat

Yep, that's fine....until you move the scope to another location and the trace is titled again. I built one too....a long, long time ago.  :-+

Or until, as you're putting it back into the case, the graticule shifts.   |O

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 07:22:21 pm »

-Pat

Or until, as you're putting it back into the case, the graticule shifts.   |O

-Pat

Yep, that too!  :-DD

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 07:58:02 pm »
They are big old monsters size-wise, aren't they?  :o

-Pat

Yes

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2019, 08:51:04 pm »
On the front bottom right I have a banana jack labeled 1V (P-P) 60Hz. I know from the original documentation that this is 1 volt peak to peak 60Hz for calibration and Testing. My question is this. It is not a clip on like the new modern oscilloscopes have rather the banana jack. So how do i connect my modern 10x probe to this banana jack and will i need to connect to the ground banana jack as well. I know the original probes were like alligator clips or something. Should I make a homemade wire harness that i can clip to or do they already make this...?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2019, 08:56:20 pm »
Never mind I found a way to do it..

Offline GerryR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2019, 11:13:41 pm »
Even though it's only 5MHz, I'd still get a switchable 10X/1X probe.

If you get probes (1X-10X switchable) that are good for the bandwidth of the scope you are planning on getting in the future, you will be able to use them for both 'scopes.   ;)
Still learning; good judgment comes from experience, which comes from bad judgment!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf