Author Topic: Auto range speed compare after 121GW firmware update Fluke Keysight Hioki etc  (Read 441 times)

Offline fanOfeeDIY

• Supporter
    • YouTube Channel
Comparing auto range speed on resistant mode after 121GW 2.0 firmware update with Fluke 87V Keysight U1241B, Hioki DT4256, DT4282, Kyoritsu KEW1062, Yokogawa Y520.

Have not uploaded video for long time and sorry for scaring people.
Was just hectic in my life

https://youtu.be/ASaypiMD6tk

The following users thanked this post: Fungus, joeqsmith, gnavigator1007, 2N3055, plurn, genghisnico13, windsmurf

Offline CDaniel

• Regular Contributor
121GW is still very slow , with the latest firmware there is a huge improvement but only because before was suuuper slow and  before that even much more slower , everything is relative  :D
Some people don't care but if you work with it the speed is a huge issue ...
To make a multimeter , let's say super accurate , with many features but slow as a turtle is completly useless

And it's not just the resistance mode that is slow.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 03:03:00 pm by CDaniel »

Offline windsmurf

• Frequent Contributor
Yokogawa TY520 seemed like it was the fastest.
The Hioki DT4282 is impressive with its highest count of 60,000 and 2nd fastest speed (looked like a tie with the Hioki DT4253).

Offline fanOfeeDIY

• Supporter
    • YouTube Channel
These are really of my subjective views in one sentense on all multimeters I have.

121gw, small and like a bench multimeter in handheld size, the best LCD visibility is the most strength.

Fluke 87V, feel very reliable, and make you trust the value shows on the LCD psychologically.

Keysight u1241b, the slow continuity is not comfortable but well balanced in size and resolution,10000 is easy to understand when roll over.

hioki DT4256, feels the fasted and small, the best when you do not need resolution.

hioki DT4282, has 60,000 resolution and feels good engineering

Kyoritsu/Yokogawa TY720, the model is getting old and the low visibility of the LCD is the bottle neck.

TY530, fast and nice, DT4256 is the same 6000 count and smaller size, so I tend to leave Dt4256 on my desk.

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
In resistance mode fast auto-scale can be a problem. A known example are some fluke meters that do not like reading the resistance of the primary winding of a smaller size mains transformer.

Also having all the meters in parallel could confuse some of the meters, as the voltage to start with can be higher than normal.

Reasonable fast auto-ranging can be an important feature, even if the first reading may not be fill precision.

Offline plurn

• Regular Contributor
Thank you for the comparison.

Having the meters all measuring resistance in parallel really ruins the settling time for the hioki DT4282 - 5.5 to 6.5 seconds including autoranging. It settles on a final value much much quicker when measuring resistance on its own based on other videos I have found online.

I know it has been said before but we have to at least consider that having these meters measuring resistance in parallel might cause autoranging speed to be incorrectly represented for some of the meters.

Offline windsmurf

• Frequent Contributor
Thank you for the comparison.

Having the meters all measuring resistance in parallel really ruins the settling time for the hioki DT4282 - 5.5 to 6.5 seconds including autoranging. It settles on a final value much much quicker when measuring resistance on its own based on other videos I have found online.

I know it has been said before but we have to at least consider that having these meters measuring resistance in parallel might cause autoranging speed to be incorrectly represented for some of the meters.

Yeah I was wondering about the exact circuit he used...

Offline fanOfeeDIY

• Supporter
    • YouTube Channel
Connecting all multimeter in parallel is not good for measuring particular resistance which was the same discussion when I made the first video of comparing auto range speed.
In this video it is only measuring dead short, which all the multimeters will be having almost zero voltage on resistant mode when trying to choose the range.

Of course, it is still not completely fare comparison since the starting voltage and the current will be fighting each other among multimeters.
It gives a indication of the relative auto range speed among the multimeters of measuring shorted circut.
See the similar comments on Daves video or the old thread of my first video.

After multimeter successfully selecting the range, only 121gw and dt4282 have capability of showing third decimal places and they are updating around 5 time per seconds, which is normal.

I have thought of making a jig, so could compare not only shorted but also any resistant value, but just need more room in my life time at the moment.
Making video takes almost full day for me.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf