Author Topic: Hello and Klein MM6000  (Read 5300 times)

Offline LocatorTopic starter

• Contributor
Hello and Klein MM6000
« on: June 04, 2014, 08:45:12 pm »
Hello,

New member here. I've found there are a lot of smart folks on this forum and have enjoyed reading. Finally registered, because I have a question. I'm the type to read a lot more than post, since other have a lot more knowledge than me about multimeters and electronics.

Anyway, I've been curious about the Klein MM6000 multimeter that is touted as "Made in USA". Does anyone have experience with this MM? Does anyone have a teardown on this model? I've been searching and have found scant info about it. I don't know who makes it for Klein, but they report that it is better made and has a better case than their other MMs.

I'm wanting this for home and am a hobbiest. It would be used for electronics, computer and around the house needs. Some of the features I like about this model are, it has uA measurement, good display, good backlight (based on their cheaper models) and separate AC and DC dial positions.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks.

http://www.kleintools.com/catalog/multimeters/electricians-hvac-trms-multimeter

« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 08:53:19 pm by Locator »

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
Re: Hello and Klein MM6000
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 01:19:29 am »
It looks like a very respectable meter form I can see online. The IP20 rating is nothing really. This just means you can't get your fingers inside. There is no dust nor water protection. For the price of around $185 it should be safely built but no one can say without a tear down. It is built in the US from foreign parts......

If you can do without temperature measurement you can get much higher accuracy with a Brymen BM867 for basically the same price. Or if you want to spend a bit more then there is the Brymen BM869. Or another really good choice:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brymen-BM829-Digital-Multimeter-Dual-Display-AC-DC-TRMS-Dual-Temp-10-000-Count-/201070664254

But I probably would buy the Klein if the inside is as good as the specs and outside.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 01:58:54 am »
It looks like a very respectable meter form I can see online. The IP20 rating is nothing really. This just means you can't get your fingers inside. There is no dust nor water protection. For the price of around $185 it should be safely built but no one can say without a tear down. It is built in the US from foreign parts......

If you can do without temperature measurement you can get much higher accuracy with a Brymen BM867 for basically the same price. Or if you want to spend a bit more then there is the Brymen BM869. Or another really good choice:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brymen-BM829-Digital-Multimeter-Dual-Display-AC-DC-TRMS-Dual-Temp-10-000-Count-/201070664254

But I probably would buy the Klein if the inside is as good as the specs and outside.

Thanks for the info. How can you tell that it has no dust, nor water protection? Is there a rating I should look for, or is there something about the case that identifies those features? I've never seen one in person.

Maybe I'm assuming the worst, but I've feared that it could be something like a CEN board or some such and just assembled in the US. I don't think it looks like a Brymen layout. It may be a UEI, since I think Klein owns a part of UEI? I mean, how many multimeter boards are actually built in the US?

I also like that it has a "relative" function. I don't see that on those Brymens. Is that what the delta symbol means on one of the buttons?

One last question - do you know anything about the Hong Kong seller you linked on ebay? I don't know how to determine that those are not counterfeits. Is there a way to tell?

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 02:03:25 am by Locator »

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 02:16:04 am »
Have a look here for IP ratings. The meter spec says IP20. There is no way it could pass CATIV without that rating.

Yes the triangle symbol means "DELTA" or relative.

That ebay seller is a very well known and highly respected member of this forum. I have purchased things from him and he has also supplied some things for me to review. You will get treated like a respected and valued customer by him.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 03:00:57 am »
Have a look here for IP ratings. The meter spec says IP20. There is no way it could pass CATIV without that rating.

Yes the triangle symbol means "DELTA" or relative.

That ebay seller is a very well known and highly respected member of this forum. I have purchased things from him and he has also supplied some things for me to review. You will get treated like a respected and valued customer by him.

Ah - that's good to know. I would feel comfortable buying from him, then.

Thanks again.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf