Author Topic: [SOLVED] Help: Need Keysight 34461A DMM Data logging to PC (XL)  (Read 11652 times)

Offline enut11Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Love building/modifying/restoring test equipment
My main real-time data logger to XL , an HP3456A DMM, failed recently.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/hp-3456a-fault-displays-random-numbers/msg2984316/#new

While I deal with that I would like to do XL logging with a Keysight 34461A DMM.
The 34461A does not have a GPIB interface so I cannot use the 3456A GPIB to USB interface module.

I am not that familiar with how the 34461A gathers data other than what I can see on the screen which can be saved as a screen shot.
So, if there is data stored inside the DMM, I do not know how to access it.

I had a look at Keysight BenchVue and it is not a very useful or friendly interface and is expensive to buy.

Is there a way to interface the 34461A to XL on a PC via USB and do real-time data gathering and plotting?
enut11
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 09:51:40 pm by enut11 »
an electronics nut from wayback...

Offline NoisyBoy

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Help: Need Keysight 34461A DMM Data logging to XL
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 11:30:38 pm »
You should have a free Benchvue license with your meter if you buy it new, did you ever activate it?  It should do all the logging you need and export to the format of your choice.

Offline JDubU

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 11:46:41 pm »
There are many ways to get data out of the Keysight 34446x series of DMMs.

If you just want to dump data out of its internal buffer over the Ethernet connection, 0xfede's Keysight DMM Plot program can export to a .csv file:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/keysight_s-new-34465a-(6-5-digit)-and-34470a-(7-5-digit)-bench-multimeters/msg1356944/#msg1356944

You can also do it programmatically (Labview, BenchVue, Python, etc), via SCPI commands over Ethernet, USB, or the (optional) GPIB hardware module. 
For Benchvue, you actually don't need to use the licensed DMM application.  You can use the (free) BenchVue Test Flow that comes with the (free) basic BenchVue application, since you can use it to send arbitrary SCPI commands in a loop and export the results to an Excel or .csv file.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 11:58:52 pm by JDubU »

The following users thanked this post: enut11

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 12:03:51 am »
You should have a free Benchvue license with your meter if you buy it new, did you ever activate it?  It should do all the logging you need and export to the format of your choice.

No, I am not the original owner. I am not sure if it can be transferred. And, there is still that interface to deal with...

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 12:23:46 am »
I found a recommendation for an obsolete Agilent program

"DMM_Connectivity_Utility_1.0.2.0.exe"

but it does not seem to be available on the Keysight web.

Does anyone have a copy to share?
enut11

Offline gslick

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 01:52:28 am »
I found a recommendation for an obsolete Agilent program

"DMM_Connectivity_Utility_1.0.2.0.exe"

but it does not seem to be available on the Keysight web.

Does anyone have a copy to share?
enut11

The download link in the first message of this thread still works:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/looking-for-agilent-dmm-connectivity-utility-software/

I just downloaded DMM_Connectivity_Utility_1.0.2.0.exe from that link. Haven't actually tried to install it.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 02:21:50 am »
 :-+ Thanks all. Seems to hook up for me at least. Installed the latest IO libraries from Keysight and installed first then downloaded and installed the Agilent DMM.exe and installed second. Windoze 10 64bit  :)

Proper play after lunch

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline NoisyBoy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2020, 02:25:11 am »
Yes, that would also work.  It came with my two 34401s back when I bought them under the Agilent brands, it works with the 34460 and 34461 but not the 34465 and 34470.  When I want my 34401s and 34461 controlled under the same app, that’s what I would use.

It gives you graphical view and data export, as well as instrument remote control.  If you don’t have access to Benchvue, it is a good alternative.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2020, 02:42:32 am »
Rough and ready test. From cold the 34461A (Hiz) against my 735A Transfer standard that has been on for months. Cursors/Stats work nicely and export of the screen Cap and CSV below (inside the zip) too.

New Toy to play with  :-+
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2020, 10:31:14 am »
Thanks @beanflying. That looks a lot better than BenchVue to me. I will try it tomorrow.
enut11

I did find a way to get data from the 34461A DMM to the PC. Involves saving via the front panel to USB stick and then transferring the CSV file to the PC and opening it in XL. Crude but it works.
Button commands are Stop/Acquire/SaveReadings/Browse/External/SaveReadings
I don't bother using the DMM to name the file as it is too cumbersome selecting one letter at a time. Easier to accept the default name and use Windows to rename the file on the USB stick.
enut11

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2020, 10:37:09 am »
I had been using the USB stick too but it is a PITA and I only have one GPIB adapter so this is great and I can leave the adapter on my loggers. :-+

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2020, 06:10:27 am »
A bit more of a play today. Used the Keysight Connection Expert to find and hookup the the 34461A via the LAN port  :-+ The DMM utility automatically found it and worked as per the USB hookup.

Also had a bit of a play with the Web interface not that I can see me wanting to use it much.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2020, 05:32:50 am »
Just cross posting a link to this thread and software  :-+ https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/program-that-can-log-from-many-multimeters/

Haven't tried it and it is early days but worth following/trying.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2020, 06:12:33 am »
Also just finished making a DB9 Null cable to suit my 34401A and cheap and cheerful CH340 based USB adapter.

Took the usual bit of fiddling with parity and bits on the configuration expert to find and recognize it as the 34401A but works just like the 34461A on LAN. It also worked running both meters at once.

CSV from the 34401A in the Zip if anyone is interested.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2020, 10:17:20 am »
I have now had a chance to test the Agilent connectivity utility from Post #5 and I am pleasantly surprised at how good it is logging from my 34461A to PC via USB.
It supports real-time logging, different display types, screen shots, data marker analysis and data export to name a few features.
I am now happy to use this for my voltage ref tests.
Thanks for the link @gslick.
enut11
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 07:32:16 pm by enut11 »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
Re: [SOLVED] Help: Need Keysight 34461A DMM Data logging to PC (XL)
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2020, 04:15:32 am »
Also worth a look is Ian Johnston's software https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/3458a-logging-via-windows-app-revisited/

Works well for me on the 34461A / LAN but not on the 34401A via the USB adapter.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2020, 04:43:21 am »
Looks impressive but probably too sophisticated for my needs. Nice to know it exists though.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2020, 09:02:20 am »
Also worth a look is Ian Johnston's software https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/3458a-logging-via-windows-app-revisited/

Works well for me on the 34461A / LAN but not on the 34401A via the USB adapter.

@beanflying, which USB adapter do you use with your DMM?
enut11

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2020, 09:14:14 am »
I actually tried to find it the other day but it is one I have had laying around for a while. I think if you picked anything with the CH340 chip it would be much the same and work. The FTDI ones were a PITA for a while due to the drivers being borked with cloned chips by FTDI. This Amazon link looks very close but they can be had cheaper on Ali or Evilbay https://www.amazon.com/CH340G-Converter-Adapter-Support-Windows/dp/B07MKHBPTL just search for 'CH340 Adapter' seems to find plenty.

I am going to leave both the meters running overnight and take a look at the stats for both as I haven't run both over time and compared them. Interesting quick look is the 34401A bounces more from centre but is more stable on average (guess) while the 34461A wanders up and down but is tighter around the wandering
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 09:16:10 am by beanflying »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2020, 12:01:25 am »
And confirming what I already knew my 34461A and 34401A have opposing Temp Co's in the cooler morning. Over 100k samples on each and the data exported as csv properly. Slightly interesting I could tell when I turned on my LED strip lighting behind the bench on my 34461A trace while the 34401A trucked past it better.

Good free fairly low fuss logging addition to the arsenal  :-+ Time to start looking at sub ppm level noise removal  :palm:

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2020, 06:33:10 am »
@beanflying. Thats an interesting comparison between the 34401A and 34461A.
I will be doing a similar test between my 3456A and 34461A using my Cropico 1.00000v standard
I have always been curious as to which one is more stable over long periods of time and varying temperature - comparing old with new technology.
I have been logging with my trusty (but now sick) 3456A for about 4 years and I marvel at how clever the HP engineers were back in the 1970s
enut11

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2020, 10:20:32 pm »
How did you get two instruments, one above the other, on the DMM utility? The only option I see on mine is side by side which has a limited time view.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2020, 01:10:51 am »
It is sort of hidden but you can undock the individual instruments from the main window. Punch the circled icon and then there is a corresponding one to redock it.  :) So in my case I started them both and undocked both then resized them.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2020, 09:57:15 am »
It is sort of hidden but you can undock the individual instruments from the main window. Punch the circled icon and then there is a corresponding one to redock it.  :) So in my case I started them both and undocked both then resized them.
Looks very interesting.  Can you do us a favor and summarize what software & drivers you have installed to get the screen shots you're posting? I think you're running the old Keysight Connection Expert, is that right?
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 10:12:18 am by beanflying »

The following users thanked this post: Gandalf_Sr

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf