Author Topic: High-end DMM model opinions needed  (Read 29307 times)

Offline PetrosA

• Frequent Contributor
Re: High-end DMM model opinions needed
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2011, 03:38:12 pm »
I know at least the Fluke 80 series will perform in subzero Celsius without a problem; a simple way to check your DMMs functionality is do some range checks on room temperature, then put your DMM in the refrigerator [ about 40oF] for about an hour +.  Recheck its readouts on the same tests at room temperature.  Now put the DMM in freezer, about OoF, and recheck after an hour.  The Fluke 80 series will not waver, I also used the Fluke series test leads that come with the DMM, or better.

For heat, its a bit more dangerous, but you can put it in an oven, but I am leery and have never done it.  Maybe the incubator that Dave featured would be fine, but a cooking oven can destroy the meter if you don't set it properly.  I've used Flukes in hot summer days past 100F inside a car, and it reads as true as OoF.

I think the hottest temp you'd need to check to would be about 160 F (70 C) which you could do with a few light bulbs in a box. I've worked in an attic that hot, but you can really only stay there for 5-10 minutes at the most before you run the risk of passing out. You know when you feel your ear wax running out that it's too hot ;)
I miss my home I miss my porch, porch

Offline alexwhittemoreTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2011, 06:31:33 pm »
The temperature extremes are a distinct possibility, not a regular necessity. Both meters are rated to operate -20 to 50C. If there are LCD quirks, that's probably not the end of the world.

Offline shadewind

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2011, 07:14:19 pm »
I've had an Agilent U1242B now for a few weeks and so far I'm very satisfied with it. I haven't dropped it yet but it feels very rugged and well built with threaded inserts and metal screws. The probes are nice and rubbery and there's another pair with a shorter tip included.

If you have any questions, I'm happy to answer them.

Offline squeezee

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2011, 08:54:46 pm »
Also the Agilent U1252B might be an option, at that price it's not much more than the U1271A.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2011, 10:04:51 pm »
That's definitely not a bad price on the 1252B, but it might be getting to the point of feature creep. I probably don't need that ultra-accuracy, and while the square wave generator is cool, I can (and plan to) make one out of an FPGA with much better range and resolution.

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2011, 01:14:40 am »
I had live for few months with the 87V and now I have the 28II .

There is no comparison... the second it is made as an armed tank.

There is some difficulty, so to convince an student or even and the professional technician,
so to invest some money , and in the external quality of the construction of an multimeter.

Accidents happens, and the electronic devices, its not fail safe when they face water and bumps,
the 28II it is , and this makes it to look and be, the perfect choice.

Most people have an difficulty to realize what they truly need,
misinformation, or the price tag , or their ego, stops them from listening.

The first word that Dave told me , when I got the 87V , was that I got the wrong model,
for the tasks that I do.
And he was right 100% .

Well @alexwhittemore , nothing stops you from getting the most sexy looking DMM,
but if you plan to do all the above that you have describe so far, you need one 28II plus an second DMM,
to be exclusively used for bench work.  

By my understating , you are looking for one DMM that does everything,
this ideal device does not exist.  

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2011, 01:36:16 am »
I don't need a 28-II. I just don't want some dainty little thing that poops out after it falls off a bench or when it hits 0F.

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2011, 09:17:44 am »
Ok, if you accept the fact that just spilled coffee - water - lemonade - coca cola - beer - or rain,
can kill one non waterproof DMM , you have the choice to not take one.

But then you will have no one to blame , if the what ever DMM that you will get, gets damaged from an such an reason.

Currently I have see no reports about damaged DMM due insertion of liquids,
but I bet that the people who had lost their tools from an such reason,
they understand that they did not invest (the proper price tag) about coverage in a such scenario, and they stay silent when it happens.

Personally I have now, nothing to worry about, even if my tool box gets some rain , or fall in a swimming pool.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 09:19:22 am by Kiriakos-GR »

Offline Russel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2011, 01:36:32 am »
You might consider the U1251A on clearance.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2011, 02:10:16 am »
Woah! That price is silly low for only one generation old. I'll definitely have to check out the datasheet, thanks for the link!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2011, 05:19:43 am »
Looks like Grainger has all the U125xA series on supersale. $430 meter for $290 off?! I just bought the U1252A, the same one Dave reviewed a while back but without the OLED display. I figure you can't POSSIBLY go wrong for that kind of a steal.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 05:21:38 am by alexwhittemore »

Offline LewisS

« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2011, 05:56:35 am »
lol i just bought the exact same meter tonight too. man that is a killer deal. according to the specs the only difference is the color of the meter and the screen. plus it comes with the extra probes and the soft case.

Lewis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2011, 05:59:26 am »
Rewatching Dave's review, he mentioned that there are things like firmware changes and such. I wonder if maybe they upgraded the innards too, maybe more accessible fuses? I doubt it though, since the case is basically no different. And in any case, I'm totally fine settling for hidden fuses for a $140 meter :)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2011, 07:03:59 am »
Rewatching Dave's review, he mentioned that there are things like firmware changes and such. I wonder if maybe they upgraded the innards too, maybe more accessible fuses?

Only the latest model U1271A boasts accessible fuse compartments.

Dave.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2011, 11:40:26 am »
Which makes me perfectly happy with my 67% off decision!

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2011, 12:10:06 pm »
The Grainger deals are insane.  Several of the Agilent 125x are on sale for 60% off list, they are in the $130 range, several models.

Its a great DMM, my only beef with it is the power consumption is high, so battery life is under 80 hrs versus Fluke's claim of 400+ hours.

The have an Agilent handheld Scopemeter for under $500, that's 60% off list price.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/AGILENT-TECHNOLOGIES-Handheld-Digital-Oscilloscope-3REC8

Clearly, the profit margin set for the 'list' price is very high.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 12:15:08 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline PetrosA

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2011, 12:40:20 pm »
I really want that scope meter but just don't have the cash right now. fuckfuckfuck.
I miss my home I miss my porch, porch

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2011, 12:58:15 pm »
lol i just bought the exact same meter tonight too. man that is a killer deal. according to the specs the only difference is the color of the meter and the screen. plus it comes with the extra probes and the soft case.

And a cal certificate. That's just insane value!
I tried to buy some, but they won't ship to Oz.
Bummer.

Dave.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2011, 12:59:52 pm »
The Grainger deals are insane.  Several of the Agilent 125x are on sale for 60% off list, they are in the $130 range, several models.

Its a great DMM, my only beef with it is the power consumption is high, so battery life is under 80 hrs versus Fluke's claim of 400+ hours.

The Agilent is logging meter. They are almost always much higher power consumption, that's the price you seem to have to pay.

Dave.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2011, 01:02:43 pm »
For this price, I'd say have some shipped to a friend in the states then reshipped to you. Even if you don't need them, you can probably sell them for a profit and still make some people mighty happy.

Battery life isn't horrific, rated at something like 40 hours. At least it's not the OLED's 8. And either way, again, something that's a serious consideration on a $430 meter but maybe not on a $160 meter :)

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2011, 02:49:35 pm »
Thanks, seems like a lot to write to flash. Nevertheless  its a great price, so I'm getting the 1252A, which is NiMH or alkaline powered for just $9 more, and I can use it as my lab/house meter and save the Flukes for the rugged outdoors.  Order accepted, lets see what happens.

THANKS TO ALL eevblogers & alexwhittemore, I'd never find that deal without your help!  ;D  
Probably a good reason to subscribe to grainger.com mail list, this isn't the first time they had unbeatable pricing, the last I recall was the Agilent LCR meter that was sold out.

If anyone picks up the handheld scope, review it for us; it looks like a Hantek in Agilent clothing.

The Agilent is logging meter. They are almost always much higher power consumption, that's the price you seem to have to pay.

Dave.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 07:32:39 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline grenert

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2011, 05:39:36 pm »
If anyone picks up the handheld scope, review it for us; it looks like a Hantek in Agilent clothing.
???

Offline Lawsen

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2011, 06:33:48 pm »
I will try to write a brief review in the far future for the 200 MHz Hantek DSO-1200.  It is like the 20 MHz Fluke Scopemeter 1-2-3, but the sampling rate is better than 25 MSamples/s.  The Hantek DSO-1200 is color and 250 MSamples/s, but it is not a 1 to 2 GSamples/s.  The price is moderate at $495.00 USD.  The higher end color Scopemeters have a price tag of $2,000.00 USD with 2.5 GSamples/s.  These are not intended to be primary oscilloscopes, but as secondary oscilloscopes, perfected to the limited, useless 2 MHz Fluke Graphical Multimeters 860s in the past.  The Hantek DSO-1200 is not the same as the Agilent U1602A hand held oscilloscope for around $1,099.00 USD demo on E Bay.  The 60 MHz, 200 MSamples/s, Agilent U1602A is made in China, but by a different company, unknown.  The Agilent U1602A has a jog knob, while the Hantek DSO-1200 does not.  There is a version of the Hantek that has an integrated arbitary function generator, too.  I cannot afford any of these.  Just looking at the users interface, the Agilent seems to be the most intuitive, while the Hantek looks like the push up and down button controls for volts and time of the original Philips-Fluke Scopemeter brand made in the Netherlands, Holland.  They all use their proprietary recharge able batteries.  The sampling rates are too slow to be a table or desk top oscilloscope replacement.  

Here is an interesting video of the Hantek DSO-1060 scope meter.  Scope meters are visual multimeters, not a replacement to an analog or faster sampling rate digital storage oscilloscope.  There is a store in Hong Kong that sells the Hantek DSO-1200 for $495.00 USD.  The multimeter probes plug in the front.  The oscilloscope probes plug in the top side, where there is BNC connectors and ground connection.

Lawsen
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 04:25:52 am by Lawsen »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2011, 07:11:21 pm »
Looks like the firesale is just about over. I ordered myself a 1252a last night, and they were out when we went to get another for rocket team. Looks like we got the last 1253 they had too. Total win.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2011, 07:32:04 pm »
My error, after a very close look, this is most likely a custom make for Agilent.  I corrected my post.
You are right grenert.

Hi-res photos here:

http://www.datatron.it/user/articoli.php?op=det&id=221

???

Best Wishes,

Saturation

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf