Author Topic: The Flake Multimeter Watch  (Read 11779 times)

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
Re: The Flake Multimeter Watch
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2021, 06:57:48 pm »
I'd actually buy a Fluke branded watch that looked like that.

I'd buy a watch that looked like that even if it wasn't Fluke branded.

I'm sure Casio has made a yellow G-Shock or two by now.

Yeah, I looked earlier but there's none that really do it for me.

(nb. All my watches are Casio...it's my only brand)

https://g-shock.co.uk/mrg-g2000bl-9adr

Don't think I could bring myself to actually wear it.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2021, 07:16:27 pm »
https://g-shock.co.uk/mrg-g2000bl-9adr

Don't think I could bring myself to actually wear it.

:scared:

This one's a bit closer to the Flake, but still...

https://www.google.com/search?q=GA-2000-1A9ER&tbm=isch

Offline J-R

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2021, 01:34:03 am »
I backed this project on Kickstarter and was lucky enough to actually receive one:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/920064946/oscilloscope-watch

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2021, 05:48:56 am »
Pictures - or it didn't happen!

Offline J-R

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2021, 07:37:15 am »
Pictures - or it didn't happen!

Simple 1kHz sine wave, 200mVpp:

The following users thanked this post: shakalnokturn, DonKu, AVGresponding, Cymaphore

Offline DonKu

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2021, 05:46:19 pm »
Besides the Flake name Design Language also helps make the watch look like a Fluke product.

Designers wishing to give their suite of products a unique but consistent look and feel define a specification for it, which can describe choices for design aspects such as materials, color schemes, shapes, patterns, textures, or layouts. They then follow the scheme in the design of each object in the suite.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_language

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2021, 09:35:45 pm »
As for the probes though, I would consider buying those.

Why? Because of the banana adapter? You can get those.

eg. Brymen: https://brymen.eu/shop/silicone-test-leads-bl21s2-t4sc-brymen/

The probes have quite clearly been roughly modelled on Pomona's like I have currently plugged into my Fluke 25.

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline nuclearcat

• Supporter
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2021, 05:52:08 am »
Why to struggle fitting measurement circuits to watch?
Just make usual BLE watch "multimeter look design", with some very basic functions (like mentioned in video voltage detection, maybe digital "mcu/arduino friendly" measurements) and rest of functions take over BLE from other multimeter, like  121GW. (With major problem - you cannot set mode, dial position, over BLE)
Low voltage leads for 3.3V level digital measurements can be added inside, with embedded leads, that you can pull out like james bond garotte :)

Offline Cymaphore

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2021, 06:17:11 am »
Why to struggle fitting measurement circuits to watch?
Just make usual BLE watch "multimeter look design", with some very basic functions (like mentioned in video voltage detection, maybe digital "mcu/arduino friendly" measurements) and rest of functions take over BLE from other multimeter, like  121GW. (With major problem - you cannot set mode, dial position, over BLE)
Low voltage leads for 3.3V level digital measurements can be added inside, with embedded leads, that you can pull out like james bond garotte :)

That would be a very powerful tool and I would love such a thing as a well designed product.

I regularly use my smartphone as remote display for the BENNING MM12 and the RS PRO S2 via BLE. But having it as an optimized remote display on the wrist would be unbelievably useful in the field.

Technically that could be done on a couple of existing smart watches using libsigrok and BLE (quite a number of meters already supported by the lib). But a watch designed for this without all that smartwatch ballast? That would be a thing.

Offline nuclearcat

• Supporter
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2021, 09:27:28 am »
Remote multimeter screen is trivial to do with 121GW and something like TTGO Watch (they are opensource).

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2021, 10:05:53 am »
CAT III 600V with a 10A measurement range on your left wrist. Anyone wanna wear it on the inside of the wrist?
What could possibly go wrong?

Nice render though, I have to agree.

Offline RES

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2021, 01:27:35 pm »

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2021, 05:57:31 pm »
maybe a full LCD display  & put one probe socket on the other side of the Watch band IMO

here is some more I did come up with!

a Google Glass type heads up display DMM with mode knob on one side of the headset.

or a solar powered DMM with a hand crank for developing countries were access to disposable batteries is limited.
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Online Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2021, 08:58:49 am »
I backed this project on Kickstarter and was lucky enough to actually receive one:

I backed that Kickstarter project, but I never received my unit.  I do have some of his previous Xscope devices.

His Xminilab Portable is a pretty handy as a two channel voltmeter with a nice clear OLED display, with the bonus functions of a simple 2 channel scope, plus AWG and logic/protocol analyser.  It is surprising how much functionality he got into an ATXMEGA32A4U.  I see updates to the github occasionally, but it is a pity that he doesn't seem to respond to issues.

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2021, 02:49:58 am »
The watch is pretty much useless and impractical.

Watches are redundant if you have an information processing machine in your pocket (ie: a mobile phone). Besides jewellery is generally useless, unless your motive is to show off.

It is not a good idea to wear metal banded watches or any metallic jewellery like rings when you are working on electronics. The screws on the plastic watch are metal, as are the probe receptacles.

Offline nuclearcat

• Supporter
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2021, 10:19:44 am »
The watch is pretty much useless and impractical.

Watches are redundant if you have an information processing machine in your pocket (ie: a mobile phone). Besides jewellery is generally useless, unless your motive is to show off.

It is not a good idea to wear metal banded watches or any metallic jewellery like rings when you are working on electronics. The screws on the plastic watch are metal, as are the probe receptacles.
Watch as display very handy, because it is strapped to your hand and both your hands free.
Leads.. i have to agree about that, not practical to plug them into a watch.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 11:16:24 am by nuclearcat »

Offline J-R

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2021, 07:22:14 am »

I backed that Kickstarter project, but I never received my unit.  I do have some of his previous Xscope devices.

His Xminilab Portable is a pretty handy as a two channel voltmeter with a nice clear OLED display, with the bonus functions of a simple 2 channel scope, plus AWG and logic/protocol analyser.  It is surprising how much functionality he got into an ATXMEGA32A4U.  I see updates to the github occasionally, but it is a pity that he doesn't seem to respond to issues.

I too have the Xminilab Portable.  I purchased it from a reseller.  The first one was faulty, but the second has been OK.  Can't say I use either very much, more like curiosities that I tinker with every so often.  Sometimes you just don't know if or how you'll use something until you get it...

In the case of the watch, yes, Gabe has basically disappeared after he posted that update about his kid being born.  As is the case with many Kickstarter projects, the creators usually underestimate the costs so they end up having to fulfill some orders out of their own pockets.  I'm sure he's moved on to other things as well, although there is the occasional backer that says they received a watch out of the blue!  Best of luck to you!

Online Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2021, 10:13:53 am »
In the case of the watch, yes, Gabe has basically disappeared after he posted that update about his kid being born.  As is the case with many Kickstarter projects, the creators usually underestimate the costs so they end up having to fulfill some orders out of their own pockets.  I'm sure he's moved on to other things as well, although there is the occasional backer that says they received a watch out of the blue!  Best of luck to you!
I did manage to get Gabriel's attention via KS message, so it appears my unit may be on the way soon.

Offline J-R

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2021, 08:40:04 pm »
I did manage to get Gabriel's attention via KS message, so it appears my unit may be on the way soon.
Wow, nice for you, almost 8 years late...it's amazing how the product is still drawing interest.

Offline fourfathom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2021, 09:10:13 pm »
I want the version with the watchband-clamp-on AC/DC Ammeter .
We'll search out every place a sick, twisted, solitary misfit might run to! -- I'll start with Radio Shack.

Offline NCG

• Contributor
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2021, 07:39:16 pm »
I am tempted to sacrifice a good Casio Twincept to be used as a donor for multimeter watch:
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/fantastic-japan-built-casio-twincept-425626125

LCD is translucent, on top of analog hands, can be totally invisible if wanted.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf