Author Topic: HAMEG HMO352x, HMO2524, HMO202x...HMO72x General  (Read 16232 times)

Offline KedasProbeTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
HAMEG HMO352x, HMO2524, HMO202x...HMO72x General
« on: July 23, 2012, 12:11:59 pm »
Does someone know how to connect the scope to Matlab?
There doesn't seem to be a driver, although the SCPI manual does mention Matlab as output-to example?

Matlab presentation:
How to add it if you have a driver: http://www.mathworks.nl/products/demos/instrument/Tektronix_to_MATLAB/index.html
http://www.mathworks.nl/products/instrument/

edit:
related document (old scope): http://www.naun.org/multimedia/UPress/cc/19-396.pdf
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 03:13:05 pm by KedasProbe »
Not everything that counts can be measured. Not everything that can be measured counts.
[W. Bruce Cameron]

• Frequent Contributor
Re: HMO352x, HMO2524, HMO202x...HMO72x General
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 03:38:30 pm »
I did do the 8 bit resolution test here some time ago (on the other thread)

Basically:
+5.1div-> -5.1div = 255 steps (28-1)
8bit = 25 steps/div   (255/10.2)
Also since the screen is 8 div (vert) and this correspond to 400pixels (600x400 grid) you get 50pixel steps/div (or 9bit)
This is also the cursor step size, 50 steps/div.

Now I was thinking there are 255 steps, but this means 127 and 128 on each side of the ground.
Since this isn't symmetrical like the 5.10V and -5.10V clipping voltage from my test this would mean that both sides have 127.5 steps or with other words the ground level is put between values.

So the obvious test, if I store a trace of noise, there shouldn't be  0v in there.
And correct it is -3 -1 +1 +3.
Edit: a grounded stored trace gives you +1 for all values.(meaning rounded upwards)

So conclusion: 0V doesn't exist in the measurements.

One other thing I tested and acted as expected: If I move the ground 1div down will it move 25 steps above the ground making the clipping asymmetrical, yes -4.1div and 6.1div

Anyone want to see the scope on monitor or projector, just ask?
I can do a youtube video, but there already exist a quick view in here
(the DVI output is 640x480 60Hz)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 06:57:44 pm by KedasProbe »
Not everything that counts can be measured. Not everything that can be measured counts.
[W. Bruce Cameron]

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 04:13:44 pm »
Hi,

I noticed that pressing the INV button adds an offset to the signal. (of 1/25 div)
This must be a firmware bug I assume?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 04:22:36 pm by KedasProbe »
[W. Bruce Cameron]

Offline Gunb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 10:10:57 am »
Hi,

I noticed that pressing the INV button adds an offset to the signal. (of 1/25 div)
This must be a firmware bug I assume?

No bug. Many scopes do, a question of sensitivity and accurate ground level. As long as the datasheet is met, no problem.
Besides my HMO2524, and 2 checked Agilents show the same. No reason to worry.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 04:45:00 pm »
Hameg support did point out that this is 1LSB and therefore within specifications.
In my reply I made clear that I don't see any reason for a digital INV function to always make an 1 LSB error.
They responded with:
We understood your advice and we will take care of this as soon as possible.
Thank you for your mail.
No idea if they will really fix it, we will see later.

It's not because it's only 1 LSB that it is OK to ignore the bug, it's just math not measuring, no reason to make a mistake. (I personally think it's an easy fix)

Edit: using the math formulas to invert the signal works correct! (without offset)
Below 0.8mV =1 LSB
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 01:12:34 pm by KedasProbe »
[W. Bruce Cameron]

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 08:02:26 pm »
I asked some info about the Y-out since there wasn't much in the manual.
Hameg Support gave me this info:
If the device is not in the Pass / Fail mode, the analog signal of the input channel to be triggered (A trigger) will be output at the Y-OUT.
With the HMO2524/352x the signal at the Y-OUT is inverted to the input channel, with the HMO72x...202x the signal is delayed about few nanoseconds at the Y-OUT. The level of this analog output signal is related to 200mV/div (or 100mV/div at 50Ohm) of the ADC.
The output is switched by software between analog trigger output and pass / fail (compatible digital TTL, but not compliant!).
The output signal is not linked with the oscilloscope trigger.
Interesting to see that the 250MHz and up models don't have a Y-out delay but are inverted.
I also asked if they could configure a trigger signal to this output.
Since a pass/fail pulse signal can be routed to it I assume the trigger (with a small delay) could also be routed to it.

Note: Hameg has an extra new website (a blog) http://blog.hameg.com/
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 11:19:21 am by KedasProbe »
[W. Bruce Cameron]

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 07:05:57 pm »
Very short youtube very basic
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/product-reviews-photos-and-discussion/hameg-hmo3524-video-on-youtube/
Also the same is done with the HMO2024
[W. Bruce Cameron]

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 03:30:21 pm »
Just to mention that I also requested these to Hameg:

- For the formulas add operation Exp() or 10^
With ln() or log() this will allow you to make any power (like xy)
You could also make: e^(-time/constant) as math reference.

- Add the variable time in the list.
(can be made now by integrating 1 but you lose 1 of 5 formula operations)

- If they could consider to give the bus triggers (not decoding) for free like Rigol DS2000/DS4000.
(Maybe they will add them separately for a low price)

All request have passed the 'support firewall', so they can be ignored later.  ;)

-----

They have an education bundle now (logic probe + all licenses) for only 160Euro when buying a new scope. (see hameg blog)
I assume they sell this without profit or even at a loss. (as investment)

« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 03:45:25 pm by KedasProbe »
[W. Bruce Cameron]

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 12:16:45 pm »
I have the 3522. I realy like it. It is shipped back with no costs this summer to Hameg for a hard nd software upgrade. Good service. No it has more functions like self calibration, more measurement data on screen ect. This is my third DSO ( had a 100 MHz Rigol I really hated, and temporary for testing ( few months) a Tek TDS210. The fact is I liked the Tek more as the Rigol. And upto now, after about a year, I had nothing to complain about the Hameg.

I used my analog sopes much more as the Rigol, at last the Rigol was on a shelf and when I needed a DSO i took it to the bench. Now the Hameg is used for 95% of the meaurements. The anlog ones only for very special things ( Tek mainfrmes with lots of plugins, like sampling, transistor testing, diff meaurements, slide back diff measurements, opamp plugin, or things like very high or very low voltage)
www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel

Offline larry42

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 04:52:31 pm »
Does anyone know if its possible to integrate the measurements across the screen and manipulate them?

E.g. to be able to measure power in dBm from the voltage waveform (across 50ohm). When I bought my hmo1524 I hoped this would be possible, but haven't figured out how to.

PS is there any kind of trigger out option - again, if so I've not found it

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

If you have an animated GIF in your avatar or signature then I reserve the right to think you're a dolt.

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 05:15:24 pm »
You can use math functions. I use them for my currentprobe. I then get measurement values in mA.
I never looked for trigger out. Why you want that ?
www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel

Offline larry42

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 05:56:33 pm »
Hmm, I never managed to figure it out - I would like to do MATH on the Auto Measure outputs.

Ideally I would like to do 10*log10(RMS(Ch1)^2/50). But there is no RMS math function, as far as I know and the MA functions won't work on the Auto Measure results.

Do you know a way?

As for trig out - access to it would be a quick way to evaluate waveforms/s performance.
If you have an animated GIF in your avatar or signature then I reserve the right to think you're a dolt.

Offline opticpow

• Contributor
  • Hoping to one day understand the crap I play with!
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 09:53:20 am »
Just to mention that I also requested these to Hameg:

- For the formulas add operation Exp() or 10^
With ln() or log() this will allow you to make any power (like xy)
You could also make: e^(-time/constant) as math reference.

- Add the variable time in the list.
(can be made now by integrating 1 but you lose 1 of 5 formula operations)

- If they could consider to give the bus triggers (not decoding) for free like Rigol DS2000/DS4000.
(Maybe they will add them separately for a low price)

All request have passed the 'support firewall', so they can be ignored later.  ;)

-----

They have an education bundle now (logic probe + all licenses) for only 160Euro when buying a new scope. (see hameg blog)
I assume they sell this without profit or even at a loss. (as investment)

Kinda sux for existing customers. I recently purchased the logic probe....getting some love on the serial decode on the digial inputs would be nice...

Wayne.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 06:12:59 pm »
Small firmware update for the high bandwidth versions.
Hameg HMO2524, HMO3522, HMO3534.
http://blog.hameg.com/?p=793

Nothing really important in the firmware update.
Hopefully they still plan to add something new instead of just fixing small bugs.
[W. Bruce Cameron]

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2013, 08:44:35 am »
All Hameg scopes come with free serial bus analysis for I2C, SPI and UART / RS232 on analog and digital channels ('Summer Specials')
http://blog.hameg.com/?p=994

Again nothing for existing customers.  :(
I did buy my HMO scope in the summer didn't get any specials then.

Edit: it's seems they took my request for free bus triggers like Rigol wrongly ;)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 08:57:44 am by KedasProbe »
[W. Bruce Cameron]

Offline opticpow

• Contributor
  • Hoping to one day understand the crap I play with!
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2013, 06:11:11 am »
Edit: it's seems they took my request for free bus triggers like Rigol wrongly ;)

Does that mean you were successful in getting a freebie. Should us existing customers that got jack when we purchased give it a go??

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2013, 08:32:36 am »
Great news for existing customers without bus decoding options !!!
Read below:
personally I don't know any sector or industry that gives discounts on options / add-ons in the so called "after-sales market". But okay - we listen to our customers and therefore create a special options offer for existing customers:

Until the end of June 2013 HAMEG owners of an HMO scope or HMS analyzer can buy the options HOO10 (serial bus I2C, SPI, UART), HOO12 (serial bus CAN, LIN) at half price. This offer is only available at service@hameg.com. Apart from contact details and the serial number of the instrument your eMail has to mention the reference "EEVblog" to qualify for the discount.

I trust you to relay this information to EEVblog in order to make it available to your friends and colleagues. Any questions please let me know...

Kind Regards

Kai Scharrmann
Head of Product Management

edit: I ordered the HOO10, obviously. :)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 09:11:36 am by KedasProbe »
[W. Bruce Cameron]

Offline CookMeSomeKai

• DM2KAI
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2013, 09:03:37 am »
Actually this offer for EEVblog users is also available for the HO3011 preAmp option of any HMS spectrum analyzer. The serial bus options deal also applies to the new HMO3000 series. Because of our summer specials...

...you'll get the HOO10 automatically with every HMO scope from HAMEG. Once you have the scope you could use this EEVblog special deal until the end of June 2013 to get the HOO12 option for half price. Enjoy!

By the way, HAMEG will not promote this EEVblog special anywhere else. But of course you can share the information with whoever you want and whereever you want.

Kai.

Great news for existing customers without bus decoding options !!!
Read below:

Until the end of June 2013 HAMEG owners of an HMO scope or HMS analyzer can buy the options HOO10 (serial bus I2C, SPI, UART), HOO12 (serial bus CAN, LIN) at half price. This offer is only available at service@hameg.com. Apart from contact details and the serial number of the instrument your eMail has to mention the reference "EEVblog" to qualify for the discount.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 09:08:46 am by CookMeSomeKai »

• Frequent Contributor
Re: HAMEG HMO352x, HMO2524, HMO202x...HMO72x General
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2013, 03:11:58 pm »
I made a short video of using the HOO10 option on an UART signal with the digital probe.

Phone App - Bluetooth - µC - UART

P.S. The 50% promotion is also present on their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/HAMEGcom
[W. Bruce Cameron]

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2013, 03:31:59 pm »
Sweet, feature-rich compact scope.  :-+
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline Gunb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2013, 03:00:51 pm »
I made a short video of using the HOO10 option on an UART signal with the digital probe.

Phone App - Bluetooth - µC - UART

P.S. The 50% promotion is also present on their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/HAMEGcom

Yes, and there are a few things more that can be done with the bus decoding options. My HMO has got all options released, especially SPI and I2C can be very helpful when implementing firmware for external µC peripherals as EEPROMs, displays etc.

Setting up the trigger to trigger on specific bytes or pattern reveals how powerful these options are - compared to other manufacturers they can be purchased for less money.

And: the search functionality combined with the table enables to trace communication afterwards.

Besides that the DVI display connector shows how useful at can be for demonstration purposes on todays TVs.

Concludingly Hameg has done a good job - more than just a "nice-to-have" option to my opinion. Helped me a few times during prototyping to find bugs in the comm protocol.

Kind regards
Gunb

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2013, 04:38:06 pm »
And: the search functionality combined with the table enables to trace communication afterwards.

BTW Rigol DS2000 has longer memory, better price and update rate but no search function... I wonder why. A long memory deserves a search function.  :palm:
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline Gunb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2013, 07:12:53 am »

BTW Rigol DS2000 has longer memory, better price and update rate but no search function... I wonder why. A long memory deserves a search function.  :palm:

There are technicians who try to classify scopes only by the update rate, which is for most cases not the most important feature. For how many cases and how often such a deep memory is really required? Most people don't need it for their daily work.

Now the opposite: having proper search functionality with bus decoding offers more options than a scope with deep memory and higher update rate since you can use it for analog as well as todays digital requirements.

I prefer the rich setup features of the bus analyzer of the HMO.

BTW: the Rigol bus options do not consist of the features which are included in the Hameg HMO - ... and they're much more expensive.

So, reducing a scope to memory and update rate is like assessing a car only by horse power without considering the suspension, the gear shift and whatelse.

I've got the HMO and the DS4012 in my home lab, and to my opinion the HMO is the better allrounder.

Kind regards
Gunb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2013, 06:41:48 pm »

Besides that the DVI display connector shows how useful at can be for demonstration purposes on todays TVs.

There no search function in the bus decoding table. (unless you can tell me how)
But scrolling through the table works fine.

Anyone else noticed that the listed sample rate doesn't seem to be right?
9600bit/s with 2500S/s no problem (it fails at 1000S/s) ? I assume it's about 20kS/s some kind of compression?
(It's a good thing since it means you can capture a bigger time window)
Also how much memory is assigned to the 8 digital channels?

FYI
I didn't like the DVI for 'demonstration' purposes I don't think people think about using it for that, I wanted a big screen/monitor for my scope, the DVI made sure I got one (The monitor swishes between duplicating my PC screen and the scope, obviously also useful for my USB microscope, schematics etc...)

« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 07:00:54 pm by KedasProbe »
[W. Bruce Cameron]

Offline Gunb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2013, 07:28:32 pm »
Hi KedasProbe,

There no search function in the bus decoding table. (unless you can tell me how)
But scrolling through the table works fine.

Yes, you're right, not quite clear what I've meant. You're right, there's no explicit search function that you can reach by pressing the MENU key.
But when enabling the bus table you can activate option TRACK FRAME per softkey which causes the marker to follow the highlighted frame in the table. It can ease
to search for special frames when there are many framebytes in memory. One might think that's understood, but it isn't. I used a scope few month ago which did not
have this feature and if bus decoding is used often, this small issue can become very helpful.
As far as I can remember the RIGOL DS4000 series does not have that option neither, you can search the table but the signal trace does not follow much less that you can see
it when the table is enabled.

Anyone else noticed that the listed sample rate doesn't seem to be right?
9600bit/s with 2500S/s no problem (it fails at 1000S/s) ? I assume it's about 20kS/s some kind of compression?
(It's a good thing since it means you can capture a bigger time window)
Also how much memory is assigned to the 8 digital channels?

Hmm, did not check that until now - maybe next time.

FYI
I didn't like the DVI for 'demonstration' purposes I don't think people think about using it for that, I wanted a big screen/monitor for my scope, the DVI made sure I got one (The monitor swishes between duplicating my PC screen and the scope, obviously also useful for my USB microscope, schematics etc...)

ACK  ;)

Kind regards
Gunb

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf