Author Topic: Rigol MSO5074 max input V,  (Read 2008 times)

Offline AmgardTopic starter

Rigol MSO5074 max input V,
« on: October 04, 2020, 10:36:21 am »
I am contemplating buying a Rigol MSO5074 but cannot find the definitive answer to the max V that can be applied to the inputs.

By way of explanation, although I have a general purpose use for this scope, a lot of my work is in testing valve amplifiers where I might, say, be looking at AC signals superimposed on a 400V DC offset.

Would this blow the Rigol’s input up?

(I am currently using a Textronix 2337 as my everyday workhorse, and so far, it has survived whatever I throw at it.)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 11:04:43 am by Amgard »

Online rvalente

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Rigol MSO5074 max input V,
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 11:28:38 am »
High voltage / high energy stuff, go get yourself a differential probe.

I was in love with the MSO5000 but, the more i read about it the less I like it.

The adc is garbage and wont even reach 6 true bits, the firmware must be improved and that black design is just outrageous. So look at the siglent sds2000x plus
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 12:03:19 pm by rvalente »

The following users thanked this post: Amgard

Offline S. Petrukhin

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 11:44:40 am »
I am contemplating buying a Rigol MSO5074 but cannot find the definitive answer to the max V that can be applied to the inputs.

By way of explanation, although I have a general purpose use for this scope, a lot of my work is in testing valve amplifiers where I might, say, be looking at AC signals superimposed on a 400V DC offset.

Would this blow the Rigol’s input up?

(I am currently using a Textronix 2337 as my everyday workhorse, and so far, it has survived whatever I throw at it.)

You will not be able to test lamp circuits with conventional probes unless you ground the GND circuits. Oscilloscopes have a rigid connection between the probe shield and the PE. You will need a differential probe, which costs more than DSO5074.
Perhaps you should take a look at the cheap battery-powered, PE-insulated toy DSO150.
And sorry for my English.

Online rvalente

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2020, 12:05:41 pm »
PE. You will need a differential probe, which costs more than DSO5074.

Micsig diff probe is the deal right now.

Also, for audio stuff any 1mhz bw diff probe is good enough, easily buildable

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2020, 02:07:12 pm »
The adc is garbage and wont even reach 6 true bits

Citation needed.

The following users thanked this post: AFremont

Offline AFremont

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 10:47:18 pm »
The adc is garbage and wont even reach 6 true bits, the firmware must be improved and that black design is just outrageous. So look at the siglent sds2000x plus

I don't mean to hijack, but I'm seriously looking at this scope as a replacement for my failing ancient Rigol DS1102C (yes it's a C) as it seems a good deal with the "free" option package.  I've seen some criticizing of the firmware. The black is fine with me, I actually kinda like it.  The Siglent looks pretty decent as well.  This is the first I've heard about the ADC though, could you kindly point me towards some verification of that?  8GS seems a little pie in the sky, but apparently that part is verified.  Is the high sample rate the issue, or is the ADC, verifiably, really that bad?

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2020, 12:53:52 am »
This is the first I've heard about the ADC though

Me too.

could you kindly point me towards some verification of that?

Don't hold your breath. There's enough Rigol-haterscritical-perfomance-evaluators in these forums that if the MSO5000 ADC was bad we'd all KNOW about it.

There's other criticisms of the MSO5000 but that's the first I've head of a bad ADC.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 12:56:12 am by Fungus »

The following users thanked this post: Amgard, AFremont

Offline AmgardTopic starter

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2020, 10:18:29 am »
PE. You will need a differential probe, which costs more than DSO5074.

Micsig diff probe is the deal right now.

Also, for audio stuff any 1mhz bw diff probe is good enough, easily buildable

FYI Banggood (one of the better Chinese dealers) has the Micsig DP20003 for US$178.99
I ordered one and got it, in the UK, in just 8 days.

Offline voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2020, 10:38:56 am »

I don't mean to hijack, but I'm seriously looking at this scope as a replacement for my failing ancient Rigol DS1102C (yes it's a C) as it seems a good deal with the "free" option package.  I've seen some criticizing of the firmware. The black is fine with me, I actually kinda like it.  The Siglent looks pretty decent as well.  This is the first I've heard about the ADC though, could you kindly point me towards some verification of that?  8GS seems a little pie in the sky, but apparently that part is verified.  Is the high sample rate the issue, or is the ADC, verifiably, really that bad?

https://youtu.be/93QUNt1z6Gw

Offline switchabl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2020, 11:09:09 am »
Perhaps you should take a look at the cheap battery-powered, PE-insulated toy DSO150.

This may technically work, but I feel the need to point out that it would also be very dangerous. Looking at the DSO150, it may not be grounded on battery, but apart from that there is nothing insulated about it and it is not in anyway designed to be used with high voltages. In particular, there will be 400V present on the the BNC connector and the charging connector and potentially other places.

The safe way is to use a high-voltage differential probe or a proper isolated hand-held scope with a CAT rating. And even then you should still know what you are doing and take proper precautions.

Offline S. Petrukhin

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2020, 12:34:58 pm »

This may technically work, but I feel the need to point out that it would also be very dangerous. Looking at the DSO150, it may not be grounded on battery, but apart from that there is nothing insulated about it and it is not in anyway designed to be used with high voltages. In particular, there will be 400V present on the the BNC connector and the charging connector and potentially other places.

The safe way is to use a high-voltage differential probe or a proper isolated hand-held scope with a CAT rating. And even then you should still know what you are doing and take proper precautions.

But it doesn't have anything metallic on the outside, it's completely dielectric. Only the BNC case, but it closes with a wire plug. Does your notbook have a ground connection? Does your multimer have a ground connection? :) Devices with battery power in a plastic case are safe enough at 400V.  :)
And sorry for my English.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf