Author Topic: How is the new Keysight 1000 x series scope compared with other low cost scopes?  (Read 56745 times)

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
The 1000X probes are a total non-issue. If you don't like them then throw them away and spend $30-$40 to buy new ones. Personally I never use the probes which come with a scope anyway. I have a whole bunch (10 or so) of identical probes from Testec.
Even if it is cheap to replace the probes, it's a matter of principle:
One is not supposed to replace the probes of a brand new oscilloscope up front.
On a low cost scope? Ofcourse! If you buy a new car you have to pay extra for decent tyres as well otherwise you'll get the cheapest crappy tyres the dealer can get their hands on.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
The 1000X probes are a total non-issue. If you don't like them then throw them away and spend $30-$40 to buy new ones. Personally I never use the probes which come with a scope anyway. I have a whole bunch (10 or so) of identical probes from Testec.

And if decent quality probes are really so cheap, how come Keysight has choosen to deliver the 1000X with the most crappiest probes on Earth?

Current product management at Keysight in a nutshell:

Lack of quality control.
Lack of responsibility.
Lack of accountability.
Lack of respect.
No long-term vision.
Key-sightless.
Do you own any Keysight scope?  You seems to be more concerned than the actual owners of 1000X scopes.

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
On a low cost scope? Ofcourse! If you buy a new car you have to pay extra for decent tyres as well otherwise you'll get the cheapest crappy tyres the dealer can get their hands on.

We are talking about Keysight here. An A-brand if I recall correctly.
Note that Rigol and Siglent probes are much better quality!

Your statement about cars is incorrect.
I happen to know from a friend that a Dacia Duster SUV comes standard with high quality Continental tyres.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 08:43:21 pm by pascal_sweden »

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
Have you contacted Keysight directly about the problem? Perhaps ask them to replace your probes. Some people don't seem to notice the issue so they might not all be as bad as yours.

And if decent quality probes are really so cheap, how come Keysight has choosen to deliver the 1000X with the most crappiest probes on Earth?

Lack of quality control.
Lack of responsibility.
Lack of accountability.
Lack of respect.
No long-term vision.
Key-sightless.
VE7FM

Offline serggio

• Regular Contributor
I also do not understand why I should spend extra money for additional set of probes when I buy Brand Name scope.  :-//
When I bought my Fluke DDMs I alway have excellent leads included and use it many years.
And I do not need go to the shop for new one leads for my new one DMM's that cost hundreds USD.

Probably nctnico love cheap Chinese tools and think that all included accessories should be relapsed after new tool been unpackaged  (including power cord)  :-//
I'm not.
And I do not want to warm up my scope 30 minutes before measurement. I keep it under stable room temperature and it should work after power on with no issue.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 08:28:05 pm by serggio »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
I also do not understand why I should spend extra money for additional set of probes when I buy Brand Name scope.  :-//
When I bought my Fluke DDMs I alway have excellent leads included and use it many years.
And I do not need go to the shop for new one leads for my new one DMM's that cost hundreds USD.

Probably nctnico love cheap Chinese tools and think that all included accessories should be relapsed after new tool been unpackaged  (including power cord)  :-//
I'm not.
And I do not want to warm up my scope 30 minutes before measurement. I keep it under stable room temperature and it should work after power on with no issue.
Sidenote: All instruments need to warm up because they get warm internally which causes drift. There is no way around that and usually it takes 15 to 30 minutes on an oscilloscope. Some equipment may even require a 12 hours warm up period.

You  have to have realistic expectations and many acessoires which come with equipment are there to get started but they are definitely not the highest end/most useful ones. You are not going to get $500 worth of probes together with a $600 oscilloscope. Same with DMMs. Keysight and Fluke may throw in a decent pair of probes but if you want better probes you have to buy them seperately. I'm also not using the probes which came with most of the DMMs I bought (including the ones which came with my Keysight 34461) because I have better ones. Also the 34461 didn't come with Kelvin probes for 4 wire resistance measurements so I needed to buy that seperately.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 08:51:33 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
To come back to the original question:
Compared with other low-cost scopes, the Keysight 1000 X series is more expensive.  :P

Offline serggio

• Regular Contributor

I'm not.
Sidenote: All instruments need to warm up because they get warm internally which causes drift. There is no way around that and usually it takes 15 to 30 minutes on an oscilloscope. Some equipment may even require a 12 hours warm up period.

You  have to have realistic expectations and many acessoires which come with equipment are there to get started but they are definitely not the highest end/most useful ones. You are not going to get $500 worth of probes together with a $600 oscilloscope. Same with DMMs. Keysight and Fluke may throw in a decent pair of probes but if you want better probes you have to buy them seperately. I'm also not using the probes which came with most of the DMMs I bought (including the ones which came with my Keysight 34461) because I have better ones. Also the 34461 didn't come with Kelvin probes for 4 wire resistance measurements so I needed to buy that seperately.
Really?
For calibration or for daily use? For calibration - sure. For daily use - not!
If your tools highly dependent from internal temperature changing that is mean that your tools has been poor projected. 
What you mean $ 500 passive probes?
I bought $ 200 probes, have you seen my report?
Relax please

Offline TK

• Super Contributor

I'm not.

Really?
If your tools highly dependent from internal temperature changing that is mean that your tools has been poor projected. 
Relax please
If you think waiting for calibration is OK, why do you think waiting to take measurements is not OK?  What is the difference?  The instrument, to operate at specifications level, needs a warmup period.  But the instrument is yours, use it as you wish.

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
Lack of quality control.
Lack of responsibility.
Lack of accountability.
Lack of respect.
No long-term vision.
Key-sightless.

Rigol lawyers will be in contact with you shortly for stealing attributes that belong to their products.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline serggio

• Regular Contributor

I'm not.

Really?
Relax please
If you think waiting for calibration is OK, why do you think waiting to take measurements is not OK?  What is the difference?  The instrument, to operate at specifications level, needs a warmup period.  But the instrument is yours, use it as you wish.
Why you perform calibration for your passive probes, mm..?
Why my N2843A calibration solid like are rock and N2140A not?
What reason of your question?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 09:18:23 pm by serggio »

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor

Lack of quality control.
Lack of responsibility.
Lack of accountability.
Lack of respect.
No long-term vision.
Key-sightless.

Rigol lawyers will be in contact with you shortly for stealing attributes that belong to their products.

Correction: Keysight should pay licensing fees to use attributes that Rigol and Siglent are no longer using already for a long time, and therefore have decided to license out.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 09:33:13 pm by pascal_sweden »

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor

Offline TK

• Super Contributor

Lack of quality control.
Lack of responsibility.
Lack of accountability.
Lack of respect.
No long-term vision.
Key-sightless.

Correction: Keysight should pay licensing fees to use attributes that Rigol and Siglent are no longer using already for a long time, and therefore have decided to license out.
Yes, attributes that they stole from big scope manufacturers to start their business...

Offline TK

• Super Contributor

Lack of quality control.
Lack of responsibility.
Lack of accountability.
Lack of respect.
No long-term vision.
Key-sightless.

Did you know that Rigol started as a contract manufacturer for low end Agilent/Keysight scopes?

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
Please stick with the main subject: Keysight 1000X series and the reported quality issues on that model.

The following users thanked this post: Gandalf_Sr

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
Please stick with the main subject: Keysight 1000X series and the reported quality issues on that model.

You didn't answer my question - have you contacted Keysight directly about this problem and asked for a set of replacement probes?
VE7FM

Offline TK

• Super Contributor

You didn't answer my question - have you contacted Keysight directly about this problem and asked for a set of replacement probes?
I don't think he even owns the 1000X

Offline serggio

• Regular Contributor

Replacement to what? If you following thread  about probes issue, it still under Keysight investigation...
Have you any experience (been employment) with company like this one? Probably no.
Simple issue be stuck on bureaucracy between support team and marketing team.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 11:49:47 pm by serggio »

Offline TK

• Super Contributor

Replacement to what? If you following thread  about probes issue, it still under Keysight investigation...
Have you any experience (been employment) with company like this one? Probably no
TheSteve was asking pascal_sweden... You should contact keysight and request new probes, as no one else seems to have the same problem or not as bad as yours

Offline serggio

• Regular Contributor

Have you any experience (been employment) with company like this one? Probably no
TheSteve was asking pascal_sweden... You should contact keysight and request new probes, as no one else seems to have the same problem or not as bad as yours
You should bought DSOX series scope instead EDUX and try to hack it up to DSOX, right?

Offline fishandchipsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
I am just looking for a general scope for use in projects in electronic/mechanical/control/mechatronic engineering at university level. Possible uses include checking the response of filter and sensor circuits, checking the outputs of motor controllers to see what signals are sent to the motors, checking if the receiver of a remote controller is receiving the same signals as signals sent from the sender, measuring the power consumption and current of the motors, etc.

I just out a few labs in several universities. It seems that 300MHz is the popular bandwidth. The ability to save the data either via a memory card inserted into the scope or via connection to a PC is important as I need to do post-processing to analyze the data and for plotting for reports.

Is it better to get 300MHz just in case? After hacking, what is the max bandwidth for the Rigol DZ1054Z?

Do the other two scopes have problem with discontinuity like the one described at 5:53 in the video?

« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 12:13:57 am by fishandchips »

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
After hacking, what is the max bandwidth for the Rigol DZ1054Z?
I think it is around 130MHz.  If you need 300MHz, you are talking about mid range scopes ($3-6K), not the low cost ones.

Do the other two scopes have problem with discontinuity like the one described at 5:53 in the video?

The other scopes do not have a Wave Generator, so the problem you are asking does not apply.  The keysight 1000X G models are the only ones with Wave Generator.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 12:52:19 am by TK »

Offline fishandchipsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Thanks. What is around 130MHz? Do you mean for things that I want to do, a scope with a bandwidth of 130MHz should be sufficient?

I have a function generator. If I get the keysight scope, I may get the one with a Wave Generator if the educational training materials require it. So,  that discontinuity problem is caused by the built-in Wave Generator?

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
Thanks. What is around 130MHz? Do you mean for things that I want to do, a scope with a bandwidth of 130MHz should be sufficient?

I have a function generator. If I get the keysight scope, I may get the one with a Wave Generator if the educational training materials require it. So,  that discontinuity problem is caused by the built-in Wave Generator?
I think the discontinuity (actually is the frequency step granularity, but you have a frequency fine setting that allows you to work in smaller steps) is not an issue or problem, it is the way you set the frequency of the wave generator.  It makes a jump at 1 KHz (and probably at different points as well) to make the data entry faster.  Adding the capability to enter directly the frequency is a feature Keysight might consider in future firmware upgrades.

If you get the keysight scope, get one with the wavegen as it will give you FRA (Frequency Response Analysis) tool and the education training signals.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 01:04:55 am by TK »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf