Author Topic: How to calibrate Siglent SPD1000X / SPD3303X / SPD3303X-E series power supplies?  (Read 4242 times)

Offline ArthurDent

• Super Contributor
It probably isn't fair to compare the two power supplies because although I'm sure the Siglent is good, the PSM-2010 is, in my opinion, a far better supply which probably accounts for its price being about 3 times the Siglent. 

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. NZ Siglent Distributor
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
It probably isn't fair to compare the two power supplies because although I'm sure the Siglent is good, the PSM-2010 is, in my opinion, a far better supply which probably accounts for its price being about 3 times the Siglent.
Sure, but this is not about mine is better than yours however checking the PSM-2010 specs I see its attractiveness for some. Can you series or parallel the 2 outputs ? Is each output isolated from the other ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online chickenHeadKnob

• Frequent Contributor
  • doofus programus semi-retiredae
Arthur --

They don't look the same at all. check positions of case screw holes (not including the fan mount as those are a standard)  and other details like the mains voltage switch which are design elements a rebrander would not change.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline kahuna0k

• Regular Contributor
Ok, I've been able to calibrate voltage in both channels without problem, and now it is looking much better. But with current I have a problem. When I clear the calibration parameters for CH1, at 0.100mA I get no current at all through the electronic load, the multimeter is even measuring -0.0013mA. I'm able to adjust the 'b' parameter without problem and in fact at 2.5A everything matches to the mA, but when I start to go down in current, it starts to diverge, at 200mA I read 70mA and at 100mA I read 0. Any clue what should I do? I've tried several times, calibration only display current, only setting current and both values at the same time, with no change. I always start the calibration by clearing the values with

*CLCLS 2
*CLCLS 3

then set the display current values with the corresponding

CALibration:CURRent ch1,1,0.000   (I've also tried with -0.0013)
CALibration:CURRent ch1,2,2.3687 (or whatever I measure, usually after clearing the values I always get to 2.3687A)

and the same for setting current

CALibration:CURRent ch1,3,0.000
CALibration:CURRent ch1,4,2.3687

Any clue? Voltage calibration was so easy and effective, but I'm lost with this 0A at 0.100mA setting. I've also tried with a very small value, 0.0001 or something like that, just in case 0 is not a nice number for the firmware.

Thanks!

Offline kahuna0k

• Regular Contributor
Answering to myself for the record. The points you choose for the calibration are arbitrary. The manual uses 0.1A and 2.5A for point 1 and 2 but you can use whatever, and the formula Y=a*X+b would be adjusted using the current value of X and the provided value of Y. I just used 0.2A and 2.5A and now the thing is precise to the mA. Great PSU! :D

The following users thanked this post: tautech, rmel, sjm

Offline sjm

• Contributor

From a later post the Service manual is now available with Cal procedures outlined:
http://old.siglentamerica.com/USA_website_2014/Documents/manual/SPD3000X_Service_Manual.pdf

Oh yeah, yesterday I was able to calibrate my (hacked) SPD3303X-E to have almost 1mA/1mV accuracy on all levels of output.

I used my bench DMM and now the requested, PSU self-measured and DMM measured voltages and currents are nicely lined up.
On some voltages, the PSU is almost comparable to some lower quality voltage references.   :P

The description of the calibration process in the manual is maybe a bit hard to read and not so logically written at times, but after some thinking and testing it out a few times, yeah it works.
It is important to keep the power output enabled while inputting the calibration commands!

Thanks a lot! Now I can sleep better!    ::)

BR, -sjm
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 07:29:29 am by sjm »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. NZ Siglent Distributor
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
A little something that is endorsed by the factory....SPD3303X/X-E units in series mode in series !

Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: tubularnut, BillB

Online Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
A little something that is endorsed by the factory....SPD3303X/X-E units in series mode in series !

Interesting, what do they say about two units in series but internally in parallel mode?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf