Author Topic: How to calibrate Siglent SPD1000X / SPD3303X / SPD3303X-E series power supplies?  (Read 23663 times)

Offline ArthurDent

• Super Contributor
It probably isn't fair to compare the two power supplies because although I'm sure the Siglent is good, the PSM-2010 is, in my opinion, a far better supply which probably accounts for its price being about 3 times the Siglent. 

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
It probably isn't fair to compare the two power supplies because although I'm sure the Siglent is good, the PSM-2010 is, in my opinion, a far better supply which probably accounts for its price being about 3 times the Siglent.
Sure, but this is not about mine is better than yours however checking the PSM-2010 specs I see its attractiveness for some. Can you series or parallel the 2 outputs ? Is each output isolated from the other ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
Arthur --

They don't look the same at all. check positions of case screw holes (not including the fan mount as those are a standard)  and other details like the mains voltage switch which are design elements a rebrander would not change.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline kahuna0k

• Regular Contributor
Ok, I've been able to calibrate voltage in both channels without problem, and now it is looking much better. But with current I have a problem. When I clear the calibration parameters for CH1, at 0.100mA I get no current at all through the electronic load, the multimeter is even measuring -0.0013mA. I'm able to adjust the 'b' parameter without problem and in fact at 2.5A everything matches to the mA, but when I start to go down in current, it starts to diverge, at 200mA I read 70mA and at 100mA I read 0. Any clue what should I do? I've tried several times, calibration only display current, only setting current and both values at the same time, with no change. I always start the calibration by clearing the values with

*CLCLS 2
*CLCLS 3

then set the display current values with the corresponding

CALibration:CURRent ch1,1,0.000   (I've also tried with -0.0013)
CALibration:CURRent ch1,2,2.3687 (or whatever I measure, usually after clearing the values I always get to 2.3687A)

and the same for setting current

CALibration:CURRent ch1,3,0.000
CALibration:CURRent ch1,4,2.3687

Any clue? Voltage calibration was so easy and effective, but I'm lost with this 0A at 0.100mA setting. I've also tried with a very small value, 0.0001 or something like that, just in case 0 is not a nice number for the firmware.

Thanks!

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore

Offline kahuna0k

• Regular Contributor
Answering to myself for the record. The points you choose for the calibration are arbitrary. The manual uses 0.1A and 2.5A for point 1 and 2 but you can use whatever, and the formula Y=a*X+b would be adjusted using the current value of X and the provided value of Y. I just used 0.2A and 2.5A and now the thing is precise to the mA. Great PSU! :D

The following users thanked this post: tautech, rmel, Mortymore, sjm, mawyatt

Offline sjm

• Contributor

From a later post the Service manual is now available with Cal procedures outlined:
http://old.siglentamerica.com/USA_website_2014/Documents/manual/SPD3000X_Service_Manual.pdf

Oh yeah, yesterday I was able to calibrate my (hacked) SPD3303X-E to have almost 1mA/1mV accuracy on all levels of output.

I used my bench DMM and now the requested, PSU self-measured and DMM measured voltages and currents are nicely lined up.
On some voltages, the PSU is almost comparable to some lower quality voltage references.   :P

The description of the calibration process in the manual is maybe a bit hard to read and not so logically written at times, but after some thinking and testing it out a few times, yeah it works.
It is important to keep the power output enabled while inputting the calibration commands!

Thanks a lot! Now I can sleep better!    ::)

BR, -sjm
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 07:29:29 am by sjm »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
A little something that is endorsed by the factory....SPD3303X/X-E units in series mode in series !

Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: tubularnut, Mortymore, BillB

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
A little something that is endorsed by the factory....SPD3303X/X-E units in series mode in series !

Interesting, what do they say about two units in series but internally in parallel mode?

Offline oz2cpu

• Frequent Contributor
    • webx.dk private hobby and diy stuff
i have the same "problem" this one is the best of all my units
SET SAY 2.010
OUT SAY 2.012
but in reality there is 2.008

it is not a big deal, right now,
but those are the true X version, not a hacked upgrade, I did pay 140 Euro EXTRA pr unit for that extra precision,
so i did expect the readouts and setpoints to be a lot more spot on.
also they drift 2mV the first hr, they are turned on, that i did not expect either.
Radioamateur OZ2CPU, Senior EE at Prevas
EMC RF SMPS SI PCB LAYOUT and all that stuff.

Offline oz2cpu

• Frequent Contributor
look at the attached spec sheet.
the last digit that the X version provide, is just resolution, not accuracy,
since it can be up to 10mV off, and still be within spec.
so it seem a bit odd, to make and sell a version X, with this extra digit,

« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 08:00:47 pm by oz2cpu »

Offline Peter_O

• Frequent Contributor
Did the FW upgrade to SPD3303X_V1.01.01.02.07R2_EN with an "upgraded" 3303X-E yesterday. At first glance the calibration stays well within specs.

Offline oz2cpu

• Frequent Contributor
some of you with a SPD3303 might find this video interesting ?

https://youtu.be/BBW8dv2ImOc

Noise ? or low frequency instability ?
or just the regulation loop ?

why is it not on a super cheap supply ?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
some of you with a SPD3303 might find this video interesting ?

https://youtu.be/BBW8dv2ImOc

Noise ? or low frequency instability ?
or just the regulation loop ?

why is it not on a super cheap supply ?
Any AC ripple from the cheap SMPS is likely influenced by the 2V AC voltage accuracy spec of the SDM3055:

20 KHz – 50 KHz = +1.0% of reading + 0.05% of range
P5 in the datasheet:
https://int.siglent.com/upload_file/user/SDM3055/SDM3055_DataSheet_DS06035-E03E.pdf

Whereas the SPD3303X is a linear PSU therefore any ripple is 2x mains frequency and measured result will be more accurate. Comparisons such as this need be done with a scope so to properly see the full noise/ripple picture.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline oz2cpu

• Frequent Contributor
YES that is exactly what i would expect too,
how ever the result is just the opposite, the SPD3303X is the one with more "jitter" but less noise

Offline oz2cpu

• Frequent Contributor
the SDM3055 voltmeter can reveal the odd stepped voltage signal from the SPD3303

so something is affecting the voltage in a special stepped way, however the levels of this is insanely low !!
it is 50uV so there is now way to see this with a normal scope.

just to verify my test setup, i connected the cheap MINLEAF NPS605W
and saw the stepped surve is compleetly gone,

by the way . WOW I am happy about the SDM3055 voltmeter

Offline oz2cpu

• Frequent Contributor
side by side compare picture

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
Successfully upgraded the just received (from Saelig) Siglent SPD3303X-E to a SPD3303X following the procedures outlined by folks here with much thanks  :)

After the latest firmware install and then the mentioned upgrade today, we did the calibration per the Service Manual. This took a few tries to understand and get the calibration in order since we don't have a precision load and just used the KS34465A DMM current shunt and wiring as a "load" for the current calibration. Used 1V and 20V for the voltage cal and 100ma and 2A for the CH1 current cal and 200ma and 2A for the CH2 current cal, CH2 would not produce an output current much below 200ma, so this was selected as the lower cal point for CH2. As mentioned above by kahuna0k you don't need to use the exact service manual values, since this is just fitting a y = mx + b  linear equation for both voltage and current. However you do need a known accurate DMM and why we chose our most accurate DMM.

Eventually everything came together and the cal was completed, and to our delight the PS shows a very stable 10.000 volt output as shown. No attempt was made to shield the PS from the cycling AC, or anything else and the test leads were a half combination of twisted pair banana to banana, to the supplied banana to gator clips for total ~6 foot length from PS to DMM (indeed, not an optimum calibration setup).

Image below is from KS34465A DMM with PS set to 10.000VDC.

Best,

« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 01:06:00 am by mawyatt »
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: oz2cpu

Offline sjm

• Contributor
Just a quick update: I upgraded my previously hacked SPD3303X-E with the new and shiny official firmware for SPD3303X and the upgrade worked flawlessly.
After the upgrade, I decided to calibrate my psu once again, while I was at it. Used the Linux command line SCPI tool for that, over my LAN.

:-+   :clap: :clap: :clap:

BR, -sjm
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 08:10:23 am by sjm »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
ex Factory manual adjustment PDF attached.
In short form of the calibration procedure from the service manual.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: chickenHeadKnob, Mortymore, CDN_Torsten, AVGresponding, blurpy, Peter_O

Offline AdiGital

• Contributor
Hello all.
I'm having a weird problem issuing calibration commands (for X-E in X mode)

1. Connection via ETH using EasyPower and PuTTY
2. Communication works as the unit responds
3. Sending commands *CALCLS 0/1 makes the channel "uncalibrated" - showing and outputting wrong values
4. Sending commands CALibration:VOLTage ch1,1,0.980 and CALibration:VOLTage ch1,2,24.450 does nothing but beeps.

Restarting the unit brings correct values as I didn't send the *CALST

I think I've searched all I could find. I'm following the manual provided here (thank btw!)
I'm using a new unit that came with 07R2 version. I downgraded to 05 X-E, then used the modified 05 X. Then finally used official 07R2 X.
Hardware version is V3.0

Hope the problem is only between the chair and the keyboard.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 11:24:10 pm by AdiGital »

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
Be very careful with the self calibration of the SPD3303X-E that's been augmented to a SPD3303X. Follow the cal procedures explicitly and do not deviate. We didn't and caused a fixed current limit offset, that it not recoverable by any means so far, and the factory hasn't provided any help after numerous pleas.

We have two SPD3303X-E that are working fine and been calibrated per procedure, and another that has a 119ma current limit offset on channel 1 and a 95ma offset on channel 2 which basically makes it worthless for our needs (precision lab type use).

Best,
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline AdiGital

• Contributor
I'm not sure what eventually did it but I was able to send the commands in the end. The calibration worked.

I installed and used NI Max. It behaved the same way initially - beep after CALibration:VOLTage... Then I started playing with VISA Test Panel configuration, namely enabling Termination Character as '\n'. It worked but now it also works without this option. It could also be I was using "Write" and now "Query" (assuming I'm writing to the instrument). I don't want to experiment too much as per what mawyatt warned about.

Both channels' outputs and readings are now aligned and accurate to single mV - measured with SDM3055.

Offline BreakingOhmsLaw

• Frequent Contributor
  • Certified solder fume addict
We have two SPD3303X-E that are working fine and been calibrated per procedure, and another that has a 119ma current limit offset on channel 1 and a 95ma offset on channel 2 which basically makes it worthless for our needs (precision lab type use).

I have started a thread about a working procedure here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds3303x(-e)-calibration-fw1-01-01-02-07r2-best-practice/
The service manual is flawed in my opinion. Please try if this approach fixes your problem.

The following users thanked this post: mawyatt

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
Thx, will do :-+

Best
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline BreakingOhmsLaw

• Frequent Contributor
  • Certified solder fume addict
Thx, will do :-+

Best

Update: Procedure is updated & tested for all values now. This should fix your unit hopefully.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 06:46:58 pm by BreakingOhmsLaw »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf