Products > Test Equipment

How to drive small inductive loads up to RF?

<< < (4/4)

T3sl4co1l:
Whelp... doing it at literally every frequency, you're going to need a highly capable amplifier.  Not a driver, there's no such thing as an inverter over that wide a range.

And at that, one that can handle severe mismatch, since you're very specifically and intentionally running an unmatched load: mostly reactive.

Not sure what you're going to accomplish with <mW; coil losses and diode drops may consume that already.  If you need a few watts to build something more representative, expect a 20-100W amp -- no small expenditure.  Plus the signal generator to run it, and maybe a preamp.

The more reasonable approach is to merely notice impedance is proportional to frequency, and then do the experiment at just one frequency and scale from there accordingly.  Accounting for stray effects as needed.

Also not sure about the "energy harvesting" angle; there's very little with any kind of field strength around it (and with good reason!).  If you're not intentionally crafting a transmitter pad sort of thing to go with it (or using any of the available ones), your receiver is going to be quite energy-starved no matter how un-tiny its coil is.  I'm probably misunderstanding your intent here, so if you could explain things in a bit more detail that may be helpful.

Tim

nctnico:
I'd start by researching which frequency bands are actually allowed to use magnetic coupling. Or put differently: which frequency bands are being used for NFC and what are their emission limits. At higher frequencies you'll likely run into issues with skin effect and losses in the magnetic core material which will limit the amount of power you can transfer. Personally I would concentrate on using frequencies between 100kHz and 300kHz.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version