Author Topic: How to freeze your UI of Keysight 3000 X-Series  (Read 6000 times)

Offline peter-gerTopic starter

How to freeze your UI of Keysight 3000 X-Series
« on: January 15, 2015, 09:18:03 pm »
just stick an USB keyboard into the scope and press "Power off" on the keyboard.

it does every time that way using K400 from Logitech: waveforms are still being updated but I can't operate any longer using any buttons or knobs, the whole UI is freezed. To get the control I have to do a power cycle.

Well done Agilent..I mean Keysight or whoever :-)

Offline Balaur

• Supporter
Re: How to freeze your UI of Keysight 3000 X-Series
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 09:33:10 pm »
just stick an USB keyboard into the scope and press "Power off" on the keyboard.

Well, stop doing that!  :D

More seriously, the underlying OS will react to the button event and shut itself down, without powering off the hardware.

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 10:31:31 pm »
OP: You should sell your 3000x immediately, sounds like a total lemon (lol).

Your 1st post ever was a reference to the wavegen on the 3000x and now this your 2nd post. Is there a real purpose to your two posts or just trying some mud raking?

I personally am super happy with my 2000x.

cheers,
george.

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 12:04:00 am »
Have you sent them a bug report?
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 02:47:59 am »
I'll buy your scope for $500 if you stop posting "Doctor! Doctor! It hurts when I move my arm like this!" reports. This is a serious offer. I'll take that piece of junk off your hands tomorrow.

Offline kg4arn

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 03:03:33 am »
Have x3024a with Logitech wireless keyboard always attached.
I turn the keyboard on and off all the time, no problems.
I am behind on the firmware updates.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 03:10:17 am »
Have x3024a with Logitech wireless keyboard always attached.
I turn the keyboard on and off all the time, no problems.
I am behind on the firmware updates.

The power button on a wireless keyboard is not the same thing as a power key..

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 03:19:43 am »
 Do you have a keyboard with lots of 'media' buttons such as 'Browse the internet' you can try?  You might be able to get access to a web browser, which you can use to browse the filesystem.  It might be interesting.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 06:43:36 am »
Keyboards with a power key must be destroyed with utmost prejudice !

I still remember when those were first i troduced for wi dows 95. So e of the very first added a row of keys between the three arrow keys and the del - pg down keys.

Standby, sleep , power off.

I am in the middle of debugging something, reach , by feel, for the pg down and -pieuuuuuw klonk- computer shuts down. I got so angry i yanked the keyboard from the machine, grabbed it at one end and flung it forcefully at the edge of the workbench. Three years later, when moving a cabinet we still found some of the keys ...
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline Pjotr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 09:59:31 am »
Funny. You're using solid AND expensive equipment and hanged a lousy el chapeau keyboard on it with fancy keys you don't need? Get a decent one like a Filco or so.

Offline Balaur

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 10:09:37 am »
Funny. You're using solid AND expensive equipment and hanged a lousy el chapeau keyboard on it with fancy keys you don't need? Get a decent one like a Filco or so.

The K400 it's a rather nice, compact and quite well made little keyboard. I have one and works very well; there is even a Linux utility (Solaar) to deal with the Logitech unifying stuff.

Offline Pjotr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 10:34:26 am »
It's not bad as well as the K340 is. But once you get used to a real professional one with good tactile feel...

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2015, 11:14:15 am »
Keyboards with a power key must be destroyed with utmost prejudice !

I still remember when those were first i troduced for wi dows 95. So e of the very first added a row of keys between the three arrow keys and the del - pg down keys.

Standby, sleep , power off.

I am in the middle of debugging something, reach , by feel, for the pg down and -pieuuuuuw klonk- computer shuts down. I got so angry i yanked the keyboard from the machine, grabbed it at one end and flung it forcefully at the edge of the workbench. Three years later, when moving a cabinet we still found some of the keys ...

"Control Panel / Power options / When I press the Power key: Do nothing". Tada! ;) *) **)

*) Yes, that will disable your "real" hardware button short press event as well - you'll have to resort to the software shutdown option.
**) Not sure when they have introduced it, maybe it wasn't there in Windows 95.

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2015, 09:19:43 pm »
OP: You should sell your 3000x immediately, sounds like a total lemon (lol).

Your 1st post ever was a reference to the wavegen on the 3000x and now this your 2nd post. Is there a real purpose to your two posts or just trying some mud raking?

I personally am super happy with my 2000x.

cheers,
george.

Is that not allowed to say critical things about Agilent or Keysight? Come on guys!  >:D

Back to the behavior: it just sucks, I was looking for a protocol error, it was tricky to get it on the screen in multiple segments and than I pushed something over my keyboard pressing the power off button down. For the first time I did not realized that it was caused by the keyboard. I thought the scope has crashed, and all my thoughts were " :wtf:  :wtf:  :wtf:  why the f*ck did they picked windows for their scopes? these idi*ts!". Than some days or weeks later I realized that it was the power off button.
I told to Keysight's support september/october, last year, I thought they would fix it with the next firmware, because it wouldn't be that difficult to do it, but they didn't.

Actually I'm very happy with my 3024, I also own an Agilent DSO5014. These are the best scopes for my budget! In some terms, the DSO5014A is even slightly better than my DSO X-3024A in things like display, memory size and useability (key layout, knob quality). But the comparison of the both is off-topic here.

Why it is funny? Cheap things operate great with expensive ones, just take a look at your power cord ;D
did ya try to enter a filename saving multiple screenshots? no, really, it's not funny using that small "jog shuttle".
So for only that reason, i picked up a cheap wireless keyboard which was just lying around, and it does very good job. I do not write books on it.
I wonder, is that the only reason picking windows as an operating system for a scope: to enable keyboard?  :-DD

Offline Pjotr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2015, 09:29:29 pm »
Ok, ok, wearing sneakers with holes in the soles suffice too to operate a high end Agilent  >:D   :-DD

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2015, 09:34:13 pm »
I told to Keysight's support september/october, last year, I thought they would fix it with the next firmware, because it wouldn't be that difficult to do it, but they didn't.
Rather fix your retarded keyboard. Btw, proper fix would be that this key acts properly and completely shuts down the oscilloscope?  :-DD

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 10:31:47 pm »
...and when they gonna fix it, they could give me the "Safe mode" with F8 also!
LOL, can't wait, then I will ask them to make the Logitech GT Force run instead of the scroll knob for the horizontal zoom or maybe I'd like to use Excel as a Lister replacement. Yes! That would be awesome!

But wait, I this sucker is running windows, it will need security patches right?
What about antivirus software?

:-DD

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 10:35:16 pm »
...and when they gonna fix it, they could give me the "Safe mode" with F8 also!
LOL, can't wait, then I will ask them to make the Logitech GT Force run instead of the scroll knob for the horizontal zoom or maybe I'd like to use Excel as a Lister replacement. Yes! That would be awesome!

But wait, I this sucker is running windows, it will need security patches right?
What about antivirus software?

:-DD

.. it runs CE, not Windows 98.

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2015, 11:18:23 pm »

Is that not allowed to say critical things about Agilent or Keysight? Come on guys!  >:D

Back to the behavior: it just sucks...

Your first complaint about your scope was that the modulation function didn't produce arbitrary waveforms. That's just ridiculous bullshit. You would have been called out no matter what the manufacturer of the scope.

You second complaint is about one key on a keyboard. You could:

00   Pop the keytop off and be done with it
01   Open up the keyboard and cut the trace of the offending key
10   Remove or insulate the carbon puck from the pcb pad if the key is elastomer.
11   Desolder the switch in that position if it's a mechanical switch

If you can debug logic with a MSO, you can handle the above. Pull up your big engineer pants and get to it.

Fixing the "bug" you're describing probably involves touching the OS, which is something they are damned reluctant to do lest the fix create a worse bug.

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2015, 11:31:28 pm »
Also, it's Friday night, FFS! Wait, what am I doing here now, anyway?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf